• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Anyone Walking Today? Rain? Rain? and more Rain?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
I have a flight booked for Porto on Saturday. I am due to start walking the central route on Sunday. The current 10-day forecast for this area is rain every day... some days light rain, some days sun with rain and some days just rain rain rain.

Is anyone walking now? In Porto/central route or Galicia? Is the weather really as bad as the forecast suggests?

I want to walk... I am soooo looking forward to this trip but I don't want to walk in the rain for 2 weeks :(

Wise words of wisdom appreciated :oops: :cool:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If your kits up to it, I would say go with SYates suggestion of just start walking. I had continuous 120km wind and rain from Portamarin to Santiago in December a few years ago, it didn't have the freezing aspect that pilgrims had to face up to in addition last week but it certainly built for a great pilgrim spirit in the people around.

Buen Camino

I left Cea this morning and it only started raining after I got to the very fine albergue at Castro Dozon. Last Thursday really was quite foul, but other than that it's been mostly quite nice here in Galicia - some drizzle, some clouds and some pleasant: November, in other words. On Monday going into Ourense I even had to get my sunhat back on. Friday looks as if it will be a bit nasty but so it goes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
thanks for the feedback folks! I think my kit will cope... it will be tested for sure :D Alan i don't mind drizzle... I'll take a bit of drizzle with clouds... this gives me some hope that it wont be too terrible every day!

I'll keep you posted... and just keep hoping that the weather and rain eases just a little

It's basically been raining for the last 8 weeks or so....it has to stop some time! :) Come on over and walk, and if it really gets to be too much you can evaluate then, or just sit out the days with the hardest rain.

I was in La Coruña yesterday on the Paseo Maritimo and was amazed that even with the rain - hard at times - it still seemed bright and "airy". The rain didn't seem to affect me there as much as it does in Santiago where everything feels more closed in. Hopefully in the Portuguese countryside there will be some big sky and it will feel the same way for you.

Buen Camino!!

It's basically been raining for the last 8 weeks or so....it has to stop some time! :) Come on over and walk, and if it really gets to be too much you can evaluate then, or just sit out the days with the hardest rain.

I was in La Coruña yesterday on the Paseo Maritimo and was amazed that even with the rain - hard at times - it still seemed bright and "airy". The rain didn't seem to affect me there as much as it does in Santiago where everything feels more closed in. Hopefully in the Portuguese countryside there will be some big sky and it will feel the same way for you.

Buen Camino!!

That makes sense... it’s rained a lot in France recently too but it comes in waves... I guess (hope). It doesn’t rain continuously with some breaks 😳😂 hopefully I’ll come and warm myself in pilgrim house when we finish.

That makes sense... it’s rained a lot in France recently too but it comes in waves... I guess (hope). It doesn’t rain continuously with some breaks 😳😂 hopefully I’ll come and warm myself in pilgrim house when we finish.
Yes! Would be great to finally meet you! :) :)

I am in at that meet-up!
BC SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do try to look on the bright side... at least it is not SNOW!

Pilgrims walking towards Santiago from the North side, like on the Primitivo, like @Saradhooma, are encountering significant snow every day. She is approaching Lugo now, and her last three or more videos have been mostly - white...or alternatively brown - with prodigious mud.

Getting rained on, especially along the Atlantic Coast, and particularly once you hit Galicia is just part of the "fun" of the Camino in those parts of Portugal and Spain.

Just try to keep your feet as dry as possible, to prevent "pruning" and increased likelihood of blisters. Also, staying warm is essential when wet. Don't forget your gloves and beanie hat... Put your fleece on under your rain gear to keep your core temperature up.

Also, and especially if one wears eyeglasses, I find that wearing a ball cap under a poncho hood works very well. A broader brim sun hat just channels water down my back under the poncho hood. So, I bring one of each, ball cap and sun hat.

Finally, do bring a positive, sunny disposition. If enough people with positive karma show up, perhaps the sun will make an appearance too.

Hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I forget if it was Chesterton who wrote "the rain it raineth on the just and on the unjust fellow, but more upon the just because the unjust hath the just's umbrella"
Lovely ☺.

All that I could come up with not so long ago when the Galician rain (and hail) did not stop falling on us was: Pluie du matin n'arrête pas le pèlerin. I'm sure @LesBrass knows that already.

I have a flight booked for Porto on Saturday. I am due to start walking the central route on Sunday. The current 10-day forecast for this area is rain every day... some days light rain, some days sun with rain and some days just rain rain rain.

Is anyone walking now? In Porto/central route or Galicia? Is the weather really as bad as the forecast suggests?

I want to walk... I am soooo looking forward to this trip but I don't want to walk in the rain for 2 weeks :(

Well - if it makes it less painful it is also raining here in supposedly Sunny San Diego in California.

Poncho! Think about feet being wet! Try to walk early in the day. Finish by 2pm then have time to dry gear. Two pairs of very light trainers??

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And just remember, rain means that someone somewhere will see a rainbow ;-)

BC SY
And this morning that someone was me, an hour or so from the albergue of A Laxe. It's not very pleasant, but once you get your gear on and just get on with it, it's not that bad - one stick down, one foot forward, repeat 30-40 thousand times until you get where you're going. Could have done without the hail squalls, but so it goes. I find music helps - for a really dark day like today, "la Forza del Destino", Verdi's darkest Spanish opera, seemed right.

DSC_1281.JPG

I just finished the Portuguese route! And it rained! But some days it only drizzled and some days it only rained part of the day and some days it didn't rain at all! It really wasn’t so bad. Someone gave me an umbrella in Porto and I took it along and it made all the difference. I rigged it up so I didn’t have to hold it by tucking it under the chest strap and then attaching it to my waist/shoulder pack. Note: when it gets windy, you’ll have to put away the umbrella so you need a rain coat and pants, too, or a poncho.

Make sure everything inside your pack stays dry, too. You don’t want a wet sleeping bag, etc. I had both a pack cover and a dry bag. On that note, I should add, many albergues don’t have heat so come prepared for that. Maybe smart wool base layer pants and a sleeping bag. I even slept in my down puffer jacket most nights.

I enjoyed it, rain and all! But be prepared!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I finished the Portuguese two weeks ago and yes, it rained all but two days. It got old at times but it also forced me to go a little deeper in my thoughts and explore what keeps me walking and why I love it so. Buen Camino! Slosh, slosh...

n the bright side... at least it is not SNOW!
Whatta ya mean, on the brighter side? I'd take snow any day.
You can be wet, or wet and miserable.🤔👣:D:cool:
Snap. My thoughts exactly.
Go for it, @LesBrass . Hopefully your righteousness will make the sun come out. Then you'll be greeted in Santiago like a hero. 😄

This is the view just taken from the albergue at O Outeiro, 4km after Ponteulla, 16 from Santiago. It sums up the last few days fairly succinctly - a lot of rain, a bit of sun, and quite a lot of beauty as well. I even woke up in Bandeira this morning to the unexpected sight of Sirius blazing in the west and a dying moon overhead in a virtually cloudless sky._20191123_171213.JPG

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My comment stems from the often heard complaining from migrants / exiles who move from very cold northern US states to Florida. Once here, they complain about the seasonal rains. At times, they can take on almost, but not quite, the southeast Asian monsoon intensity...

So, one commonly says, "...look on the bright side, those 4 inches of rain we got today were not some 40 inches of dry snow..." The nominal conversion rate is one inch of rain to 10 inches of dry snow...

That was my perspective...

Do not doubt the forecast. I walked the central last year it rained everyday. Sometimes sleet/freezing rain. But usually there are breaks in between and even still we had a great time. One night in Ponte de Lima high winds power lost and no internet for a few days. Make the best of it and you will have a great time just be prepared for the it. Buen Camino

send some of that lovely rain to us in Sydney! We're about to start level 4 water restrictions
Buen camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just seeing your post, and as all the wise words have already been given, and you are probably already afoot on day 3, I just say: animo, chica! Courage! You know many are envious, and others are hoping you can make the most of it.

I am here. Its been a mixed bag of weather and on the whole we've been lucky. This afternoon it's been very very wet!

Nonetheless I'm glad I'm here... Even in the rain :cool: :D
Still set off walking early. You get wet, finish by 3pm latest! Plenty of time to dry everything. Buen Camino!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Still set off walking early. You get wet, finish by 3pm latest! Plenty of time to dry everything. Buen Camino!!

That was the plan but nothing was open so I finished at 18:30 😳 clothes currently hanging around my hotel room. The alburgue we've stayed in so far had no heat so it's really hard to dry clothes... However I'm a happy Pilgrim... I'm hoping for a shorter day tomorrow!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You may try placing some small things at your feet under the blankets overnight to dry. I have done this several times camping in my sleeping bag and it worked quite well. 👣 :D:cool:

In the unheated alburgues and the ones that were centrally heated we had to resort to squeezing out as much moisture as we could with our chamois towels and suspend them from the base slats of the bunk beds above us while we slept. The body heat we gave off dried them enough to be wearable. Nothing like waking up to the view of laundry 😁

I hope you all have at least one warm dry day to get the dampness out of your bones .
If its any consolation i still envy you being there rather then stuck in our everyday lives .
Have a great Camino and Buen Camino to all pilgrims on the “Way”

Today out of Ponte de Lima was great... Wonderful wonderful walk! But wow so much water everywhere. The river burst its Bank and a few times we had to turn back and take the road... But still a beautiful day!

(and alburgue had a dryer so all good) 15748786584708.jpg15748786587532.jpg15748786589736.jpg15748786577366.jpg15748786577887.jpg

Today out of Ponte de Lima was great... Wonderful wonderful walk! But wow so much water everywhere. The river burst its Bank and a few times we had to turn back and take the road... But still a beautiful day!

(and alburgue had a dryer so all good) View attachment 67130View attachment 67131View attachment 67132View attachment 67133View attachment 67134
Hola LrsBrass

I saw your pictures in real a day or 2 ago in real!!! And at some place you can swim in the Camino...

Just amazing all this rain!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Gorgeous photos! See you soon!

Edit: I just read your latest blog post. You made it! Definitely an emotional moment and a wonderful way to honor your father. Happy birthday to your mom tomorrow. We'll see you next time! ❤

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Congratulations on your arrival and sorry to have missed you again!

Abrazos, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Xauen (Morocco) it rains more or less the same as in Ourense (Galicia). 900 mm.
I asked a local today if the rain was unusual for this time of year and he said it always rains a lot in winter. Glad I’m not riding a camel across the Sahara in this weather, it would be way too bizarre 🤪 Should have saved the money and gone back for a thermal bath and more good cheese, jamón and wine in the rain there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
To be honest I'm an emotional wreck. I blame @t2andreo ... He planted the seed about walking for my father
I walked for my closest friend in May 2012 who died far too early on my birthday in March of that year, I had so many plans on how I was going to honour him, they came to naught. I was in emotional turmoil for most of the walk. People walk for departed friends and family all the time on the Camino and get on with it and do all the things they set out to do, but sometimes those emotions can be too raw and they give your Camino a direction you didn't expect.

Buen Camino LesBrass

It felt oddly sad seeing the building so wrapped up like that. I can't wait to see it complete and looking magnificent again. The towers to look amazing after the renovation as did the Portico... such a beautiful building. Buen Camino @Jean Ti ... I came home early to try and avoid the French Air Traffic Control strikes but looking at your pictures makes me feel the urge to return :cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back