• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone walking VDLP mid May 2017? Well, I Am!!! Woohooo!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lots to see in Sevilla, but tip no.1 is to keep the cathedral's opening hours in mind. They are ridiculous, like 11am to 5pm, so easy to miss.

Lots to see in Sevilla, but tip no.1 is to keep the cathedral's opening hours in mind. They are ridiculous, like 11am to 5pm, so easy to miss.
Cool. Thanks for that. I'm guessing I can get a passport from the cathedral or is there a camino office in Seville?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Cool. Thanks for that. I'm guessing I can get a passport from the cathedral or is there a camino office in Seville?
I assume the cathedral will have them, but the albergue Triana Backpackers has them, as does the local association, a few blocks from the albergue. Stopping by the association is a good idea to find out how the arroyo crossing is on your way to Guillena. It's not super pretty, but has the logo from the Via de la Plata, so not jist the same old credencial.

Btw, Triana backpackers is very well located. It's across the river from the importantbuilings/monuments, in between the main bridges, an 8 minute walk from the bus station (Plaza de armas) and almost on the Camino (more below). It's in a lovely house, but they have you in there packed like sardines, and when I was there with no AC bit there are units in each bedroom. Windows open on the court yard. But... on the plus sode, each bedroom has a full bathroom next to it.

Back to the route... if you look at guidebooks, and arrows, it takes you from the albergue to the cathedral and back 150 meters from the albergue. o_O

In case walking all the way to Guillena on day 1 is too much, or if you have read about the dogs in Camas, you can start in Santiponce, visiting the monastery and the Italica ruins, enjoy a nice breakfast in Santiponce and walk onwards. Take the bus in Plaza de armas. There is one every hour or so early in the am.

Here is the schedule:
http://www.consorciotransportes-sevilla.com/lineasmetropolitanas/pdf/horarios/linea1721.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you! VDLP is a world away from the French way. Make sure you have a big water bottle, a hat, plenty of factor 50 sunscreen and an independent spirit! Plan ahead for the few very long stages (especially the Embalse de Alcántara 'double stage').

I assume the cathedral will have them, but the albergue Triana Backpackers has them, as does the local association, a few blocks from the albergue. Stopping by the association is a good idea to find out how the arroyo crossing is on your way to Guillena. It's not super pretty, but has the logo from the Via de la Plata, so not jist the same old credencial.

Btw, Triana backpackers is very well located. It's across the river from the importantbuilings/monuments, in between the main bridges, an 8 minute walk from the bus station (Plaza de armas) and almost on the Camino (more below). It's in a lovely house, but they have you in there packed like sardines, and when I was there with no AC bit there are units in each bedroom. Windows open on the court yard. But... on the plus sode, each bedroom has a full bathroom next to it.

Back to the route... if you look at guidebooks, and arrows, it takes you from the albergue to the cathedral and back 150 meters from the albergue. o_O

In case walking all the way to Guillena on day 1 is too much, or if you have read about the dogs in Camas, you can start in Santiponce, visiting the monastery and the Italica ruins, enjoy a nice breakfast in Santiponce and walk onwards. Take the bus in Plaza de armas. There is one every hour or so early in the am.

Here is the schedule:
http://www.consorciotransportes-sevilla.com/lineasmetropolitanas/pdf/horarios/linea1721.pdf
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Sure, I will check out Triana. I will be exploring Seville for 2/3 days before heading out to the trail. Not sure if Triana has "single stay only" policy. And what about the dogs in Camas? I have encountered some very nasty dogs on French way and Portuguese way before, almost pooped my pants. Hahaha.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Sure, I will check out Triana. I will be exploring Seville for 2/3 days before heading out to the trail. Not sure if Triana has "single stay only" policy. And what about the dogs in Camas? I have encountered some very nasty dogs on French way and Portuguese way before, almost pooped my pants. Hahaha.
No, lots of people at Triana are there for a while.

No experience ever with barking dogs, but there are threads about them...

Good for you! VDLP is a world away from the French way. Make sure you have a big water bottle, a hat, plenty of factor 50 sunscreen and an independent spirit! Plan ahead for the few very long stages (especially the Embalse de Alcántara 'double stage').
Thanks! Yeah, I did the French way and Portuguese way last year. Great crowd and crazy parties. This time I want more solitary walk so I would have more time to "talk" to myself and the headspace to think. Yes, I'm aware of the heat and the distance. What would you say the longest stage would be on VDLP and how many kms? Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't know the longest stage - check Gronze.com I am only half way so far.

The embalse (reservoir) is the biggest problem stage for most people (38km I think). This is because the albergue there has been closed for several years and the only other option is a weird 'fishing hotel' that does not especially welcome pilgrims and I have even heard a report of them taking a reservation and then refusing to open the door.

The morning walk is nice but after about 12km it suddenly changes and becomes grim. First there's a stupid path diversion for railway works and then the trail stays off the roads by repeatedly going up and down annoying small hills, a lot of people give up on that and walk on the roads, which is unpleasant and a bit dangerous. If you are scared of heights like me you'll also find crossing the two N630 bridges somewhat of a trial. On weekends people race around the roads on high powered motorbikes, which provides a spectacle to relieve the tedium but is rather intimidating. The day I was there it was stinkingly hot and there is no shade apart from hiding behind road signs. Oh and I hate reservoirs and dams as well, creepy and scary in my book. But no-one said the VDLP was easy!

My solution was to plan ahead by getting from the owner of the bar Majuca in Casar de Caceres the phone number of lovely Cesar the taxi man from Cañaveral. (Sorry I have lost it now). Plan with others to share the taxi. A good location for Cesar to pick you up is the well signposted gate on the N630 of the boat club Club Nautico Tajomar, just before the closed albergue, which is about 2/3 of the 38km, so still a substantial stage. Before that point it's difficult to find a place where a taxi could stop where you could also describe your location.

You can also shorten the stage by getting a taxi part way from Casar de Caseres, but then you would miss the beautiful walk in the early part of the day, with the famous cheese making sheep and the lovely cuddly Mastiff at the farm.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the cathedral in Sevilla will have credentials. When I was there they were too busy dealing with the lines of visitors. One tip- if you have a credential and there is a long line- show the passport to the guard and they will bring you to an office besides the ticket office to get your stamp.

I always try to stay at the Hotel Simon near the Cathedral. I believe they also have credencials.

As for what to see, set aside a morning for the Alcazar. In particular, I always have to spend time at Los Baños de Doña María de Padilla. First it will get you out of the heat of the day. More importantly it is mesmerizing. My favorite place in Seville.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Seconding Hotel Simon as a place to pick up a credential. I haven't done this walk but was in Seville end of May last year. Was excited to see a pilgrim walking around the Cathedral while I ate breakfast one morning. Unfortunately he kept walking around and around and around. I saw him still near the Cathedral a couple of hours later and wished him Buen Camino. Although there was a language barrier it seemed he was looking for somewhere to get his passport. Hotel Simon just around the corner did the trick. It has a friends of the camino sign on the door.
Also, it was very hot already that time of year. Use your extra days to sightsee (yes to the Cathedral and Alcazar) but get your passport so you can start walking early on your first day.

The embalse (reservoir) is the biggest problem stage for most people (38km I think). This is because the albergue there has been closed for several years and the only other option is a weird 'fishing hotel' that does not especially welcome pilgrims and I have even heard a report of them taking a reservation and then refusing to open the door.

The morning walk is nice but after about 12km it suddenly changes and becomes grim. First there's a stupid path diversion for railway works and then the trail stays off the roads by repeatedly going up and down annoying small hills, a lot of people give up on that and walk on the roads, which is unpleasant and a bit dangerous. If you are scared of heights like me you'll also find crossing the two N630 bridges somewhat of a trial. On weekends people race around the roads on high powered motorbikes, which provides a spectacle to relieve the tedium but is rather intimidating. The day I was there it was stinkingly hot and there is no shade apart from hiding behind road signs. Oh and I hate reservoirs and dams as well, creepy and scary in my book. But no-one said the VDLP was easy!

My solution was to plan ahead by getting from the owner of the bar Majuca in Casar de Caceres the phone number of lovely Cesar the taxi man from Cañaveral. (Sorry I have lost it now). Plan with others to share the taxi. A good location for Cesar to pick you up is the well signposted gate on the N630 of the boat club Club Nautico Tajomar, just before the closed albergue, which is about 2/3 of the 38km, so still a substantial stage. Before that point it's difficult to find a place where a taxi could stop where you could also describe your location.

You can also shorten the stage by getting a taxi part way from Casar de Caseres, but then you would miss the beautiful walk in the early part of the day, with the famous cheese making sheep and the lovely cuddly Mastiff at the farm.

Hope that helps.

Are you on the VDLP at there moment?

I have just been looking at Gerald Kelly's book and from what I can see he doesn't mention the long stage you mention, I have to say a 38km day would be hard for me.

Silly me, a little closer reading of the guide and I found out about the reservoir hostel being closed. I guess this stages will have to be an early start with plenty of stops.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hope that helps.
Yes, I'm terrified of heights. I guess I will just close my eyes on the bridge. Hahaha. So how's the weather been? I'm guessing hot, but are there much rain? You mentioned getting a taxi by Cesar, can you elaborate on this? Sorry I haven't done my homework. Hahaha. Thabks

There is a small tourist office right by the cathedral and they will give you the passport and stamp it. walk around the cathedral and you will see it.
Buen Camino

Hope that helps.
Oh, ok. So if I don't want to walk the 38kms on the day, then the taxi is an option right?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh, ok. So if I don't want to walk the 38kms on the day, then the taxi is an option right?
Yes, a taxi to get you further along in the morning before you start walking, or one that comes to pick you up along the way, to save you the last few km. Or a train from Caceres to Canaveral to skip the whole thing.

Have recently walked this section. The first part, as previously mentioned, is lovely. However, the rest of it is very hard and very tiring. We left about 7.30am but this was too late. It was very hot by the time we arrived. Most people we met used taxi or bus for part or all of the way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Middle of March should be fine.

Yes, I'm terrified of heights. I guess I will just close my eyes on the bridge. Hahaha. So how's the weather been? I'm guessing hot, but are there much rain? You mentioned getting a taxi by Cesar, can you elaborate on this? Sorry I haven't done my homework. Hahaha. Thabks
Please see a new resource on how to deal with the problem long stage which I have just added to the Camino Resources VDLP section (blue tab at the top of this page).

I am scared of heights and I had to pull my hat right down on the right hand side so I could only see the barrier and pavement! I also have a special song I sing when crossing bridges in windy weather. Sad but true.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
hello Perigrinos! I'm walking VDLP in 2 weeks time. The excitement is kicking in and I can't wait to hit the trail! If anyone is walking around the same time! Drop me a msg! Also any suggestions on what to see in Seville would be great! Cheers!
Yes I should be starting in Seville around 14/15. Very excited, though bit worrying to read about that poor woman's experience.

Yes I should be starting in Seville around 14/15. Very excited, though bit worrying to read about that poor woman's experience.

What experience are you referring to? I am walking soon, but pay little attention to what is going on....

Please see a new resource on how to deal with the problem long stage which I have just added to the Camino Resources VDLP section (blue tab at the top of this page).

I am scared of heights and I had to pull my hat right down on the right hand side so I could only see the barrier and pavement! I also have a special song I sing when crossing bridges in windy weather. Sad but true.
Thank you so much for that link, this is great! I normally don't mind walking long distances, but the high bridge and the narrow road walking with cars whooshing by would be unpleasant. There were a lot of rosd walking in camino Portuguese, and I nearly got hit by a car . So I think I'm going to avoid that section and get a taxi. Having a song is nice, but my trick is to think about what food and beer I'm going to have when I get to the destination. It works perfectly fine every time for me. Hahaha. Thanks again! Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you so much for that link, this is great! I normally don't mind walking long distances, but the high bridge and the narrow road walking with cars whooshing by would be unpleasant. There were a lot of rosd walking in camino Portuguese, and I nearly got hit by a car . So I think I'm going to avoid that section and get a taxi.

Sorry but my resource only cuts down the road section, and doesn't avoid the bridges. It's hard to get a taxi pickup earlier on this road because there are few places for a car to safely stop and it's hard to describe where you are - if you absolutely must avoid the bridges you could ask for a pick up "On the N630, at the parking place just after the second bridge and before km525" (i.e. describing it coming from Canaveral direction, which the taxi would be). Here is the map location. But this is a weak landmark and you have to say it in Spanish. That's why I suggested the boat club.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How beautiful this spot is with all the sunflowers. It was all green and brown last April.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After 16 days of walking (plus another three days to explore Salamanca and Zamora) I've finished my walk on the Vía de la Plata and am now continuing on the Camino Sanabres. If anyone's...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back