• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone want to GoPro their walk - I'll add it to the collection

Time of past OR future Camino
I've used my GoPro on the CF, CP, and VldP to record all the steps taken. I then speed it up by a factor of 10 and add some guidebook info and some google maps info so that you can see where the video is at. It's not meant to be entertaining (i.e. no personal opinions, spiritual messages, or blogs). It it meant to just show what the walk is like.

I was wondering whether someone wanted to use their GoPro and video their walk which I could then process. I don't charge for access to the youtube site (and don't plan to), so it's all gratis. I go through and edit out the bad parts of the video and smooth the walk out while taking out the audio portions entirely.

It does require some additional equipment (GoPro, battery, disk, battery charger, memory cards, and something to transfer the videos from the cards to a hard disk so I wouldn't recommend it for someone that is NOT having their pack transported, but that is up to the walker.

Here is the link to my channel.

This year I'll be doing the last half of the VdlP and next year the Camino Inglais and walk to Finisterre. I do have the CF but would like to redo it in 4K video (I plan on doing that in 2022 maybe).

But there are a lot of other Caminos out there. I'd really like to be able to show the French Camino from Le Puy, the inland CP (I have the coastal), and the Primitivo.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When you used GoPro on the walk did you use time lapse. Or?

how do you speed up a recording 10x??

thanks

I don’t use the time lapse. It’s much harder to edit that and make it look good. I use the video at either 30 or 60 frames.

I speed up the video via one or more tools (Adobe Premier, Mercado, etc.) during the processing. It generally takes about a day or more of processing to produce one day of videos.

Hope that helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don’t use the time lapse. It’s much harder to edit that and make it look good. I use the video at either 30 or 60 frames.

I speed up the video via one or more tools (Adobe Premier, Mercado, etc.) during the processing. It generally takes about a day or more of processing to produce one day of videos.

Hope that helps.
Thanks John.

I've used my GoPro on the CF, CP, and VldP to record all the steps taken. I then speed it up by a factor of 10 and add some guidebook info and some google maps info so that you can see where the video is at. It's not meant to be entertaining (i.e. no personal opinions, spiritual messages, or blogs). It it meant to just show what the walk is like.

I was wondering whether someone wanted to use their GoPro and video their walk which I could then process. I don't charge for access to the youtube site (and don't plan to), so it's all gratis. I go through and edit out the bad parts of the video and smooth the walk out while taking out the audio portions entirely.

It does require some additional equipment (GoPro, battery, disk, battery charger, memory cards, and something to transfer the videos from the cards to a hard disk so I wouldn't recommend it for someone that is NOT having their pack transported, but that is up to the walker.

This year I'll be doing the last half of the VdlP and next year the Camino Inglais and walk to Finisterre. I do have the CF but would like to redo it in 4K video (I plan on doing that in 2022 maybe).

But there are a lot of other Caminos out there. I'd really like to be able to show the French Camino from Le Puy, the inland CP (I have the coastal), and the Primitivo.

I hadn't emailed you about it yet, John, but I was planning to work with you, again, to video the Aragones this Fall.

I have the newest GoPro Hero 8 Black (replaced the Hero 6 that I had used previously for the Napoleon Route video). I am stocked with the newest SD cards, and the power bank and shoulder-strap mount are all ready to go. :)

Also, where there any portions of the Camino Portuguese Central route that you would like to add from Porto to Santiago? If so, I can grab those stages as well.

Just watched your video from Ponferrada absolutely brilliant one small suggestion can you drop the "lift" (elevator) music from track. 🎵🤔

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Superb production and love the flyovers at the beginning! WOW!! I can't wait to watch all of your episodes!!

There are affordable alternatives to Go Pro that are pretty good for less than $100.
Google 4k action cameras.
I could mess up a photo of Marilyn Monroe. I am much better off with my phone. I don't take alot of photos outside of friends at night when I am on the camino. But thanks and if anyone ever asks I will tell them about the google camera.

There are affordable alternatives to Go Pro that are pretty good for less than $100.
Google 4k action cameras.

I agree.

I think the differences show in the frame rate at 4K, along with the various other issues with contrast and stuff. For basic 4K at 20 or 30 FPS, the lower cost cameras do ok, though I see differences in clarity and sharpness between the current crop of GoPros and the lower cost ones.

Its all a matter of what matters most. As It56ny mentioned, the latest iPhones (don't know about the Android OS based phones) can produce 4k video that is better than the stand alone $100 cameras.

The issue for the iPhone is how to easily move the 100 to 400 gb's of data (for an 8 hour shoot) to an external device for storage and future editing.

Hey, thanks for the reply. That would be great. I also took advantage of the upgrade offer that GoPro had and got the Hero 8. It looks pretty good. The only problem I found was that the case makes it more difficult to record off an external battery. I also found out that you can run the GoPro without a battery in it as long as it's hooked to the external source. That should avoid some of the overheating problems that I ran into. You might want to look into it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0813CXVV1/?tag=casaivar02-20

Anything from the central route would be appreciated. When I walked, I went from Porto all along the coast to Santiago. I didn't really it the central portions at all.

As I think I've mentioned, I'll be walking from Salamanca to Santiago in late May. So, I think, between your videos and my videos, it's going to be a busy year.

Apologies for the elevator music. I put up some original video but a lot of people said that silence was just too much. So, I opted for some music, and what you can get for free is pretty much elevator music :) :) :)

I've gotten comments both pro and con with about 70% saying it's ok. I guess I have to opt for the simple suggestion of just muting the volume (I do that myself on occasion.

If you know of a source that has good free tracks that would be appropriate, I'd much appreciate that. Thanks for watching as well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Apologies for the elevator music. I put up some original video but a lot of people said that silence was just too much. So, I opted for some music, and what you can get for free is pretty much elevator music :) :) :)

I've gotten comments both pro and con with about 70% saying it's ok. I guess I have to opt for the simple suggestion of just muting the volume (I do that myself on occasion.

If you know of a source that has good free tracks that would be appropriate, I'd much appreciate that. Thanks for watching as well.

I think gopro offer more choices for a small subscription. I watched your climb into ocbriero, twice I have done it in mist and fog and your video was a revelation.
I have a gopro 5 and small session, when you video do you do it for 60 secs at a time or longer? Editing is still a problem for me have watched loads of YouTube instructions but still not right, used quikpro it's not bad but still not in your class.
Keep up your great work best on YouTube by far. p.s. Do you use voice control?
Buen Camino

I think gopro offer more choices for a small subscription. I watched your climb into ocbriero, twice I have done it in mist and fog and your video was a revelation.
I have a gopro 5 and small session, when you video do you do it for 60 secs at a time or longer? Editing is still a problem for me have watched loads of YouTube instructions but still not right, used quikpro it's not bad but still not in your class.
Keep up your great work best on YouTube by far. p.s. Do you use voice control?
Buen Camino

I video the entire walk if possible, so the GoPro is constantly running. I hook it up to an external battery (I think it is 12,000 mah) - otherwise the GoPro would run out after about 15 minutes or so. Editing is most of the work. I use Adobe Premier Pro to edit. It's expensive but seems to have everything that I need.

The other problem is just processing. Each day of video takes about 18 hours of post processing to speed it up to the 8 or 10 times factor. Then the couple of hours of splicing the pieces together, putting the overlays in, and tracking the overlays to the whole day's walk. Rendering takes another two hours or so. I'm using a 12 core 24 process, 4.2 GHz AMD based computer to do the actual work.

Editing is tough work. Just keep practicing and trying. Quikpro isn't bad but you are limited in how you can manipulate the segments. But it is a great, cheap way to get started.

Hey, thanks for the reply. That would be great. I also took advantage of the upgrade offer that GoPro had and got the Hero 8. It looks pretty good. The only problem I found was that the case makes it more difficult to record off an external battery. I also found out that you can run the GoPro without a battery in it as long as it's hooked to the external source. That should avoid some of the overheating problems that I ran into. You might want to look into it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0813CXVV1/?tag=casaivar02-20

Anything from the central route would be appreciated. When I walked, I went from Porto all along the coast to Santiago. I didn't really it the central portions at all.

As I think I've mentioned, I'll be walking from Salamanca to Santiago in late May. So, I think, between your videos and my videos, it's going to be a busy year.

You are right on concerning the external powerbank hookup. I found it to be ok, but I do not understand why GoPro does not weather and wet harden the port so that it can be used in the rain. It was so frustrating to not be able to do a day-by-day video of the Ingles because of that issue.

I had thought of using the Blue Tack to cover the cable and the port opening, but I chickened out when faced with the rainy weather.

Removing the GoPro battery worked for me, too. :) Happy discovery. When external power banks, like the Anker models, have a capacity needed to last 8 to 10 hours, and yet are still fairly compact and light, giving up on the GoPro batteries is a no brainer for these extended recording sessions.

I'll be sure to keep the video files of the Central Route on separate SD cards from the recording I do after the Central and Coastal routes converge.

I can't wait to see the rest of the Camino that you are walking :) Where to after that's been completed?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You are right on concerning the external powerbank hookup. I found it to be ok, but I do not understand why GoPro does not weather and wet harden the port so that it can be used in the rain. It was so frustrating to not be able to do a day-by-day video of the Ingles because of that issue.

I had thought of using the Blue Tack to cover the cable and the port opening, but I chickened out when faced with the rainy weather.

Removing the GoPro battery worked for me, too. :) Happy discovery. When external power banks, like the Anker models, have a capacity needed to last 8 to 10 hours, and yet are still fairly compact and light, giving up on the GoPro batteries is a no brainer for these extended recording sessions.

I'll be sure to keep the video files of the Central Route on separate SD cards from the recording I do after the Central and Coastal routes converge.

I can't wait to see the rest of the Camino that you are walking :) Where to after that's been completed?

2021 - Finistere and the Ingles and maybe catch up on a few segments of the Frances that I didn't do. For a change, I'm going to walk one of the easy National Trails in Britain. Not as much walking that year because my wife and I have an extended trip planned on the Trans Siberian express 😊😊

2021 - Finistere and the Ingles and maybe catch up on a few segments of the Frances that I didn't do. For a change, I'm going to walk one of the easy National Trails in Britain. Not as much walking that year because my wife and I have an extended trip planned on the Trans Siberian express 😊😊

With any new recordings of those Frances sections, are you going to use the same resolutions and setting that you recorded with before, or will you do a higher level resolution and frame rate?

"Trans-Siberian Train Ride, Day-By-Day". Background music courtesy of "Midnight Express" and Johnny Cash. :)

With any new recordings of those Frances sections, are you going to use the same resolutions and setting that you recorded with before, or will you do a higher level resolution and frame rate?

"Trans-Siberian Train Ride, Day-By-Day". Background music courtesy of "Midnight Express" and Johnny Cash. :)
I'll use the higher rate. At some point, I'm thinking of walking another Frances.

Hi John, YouTube itself has the option to add music to your videos at the point that you upload... its been a couple of years since I have uploaded a video, but their upload editor had some really good options ..

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back