• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone wear white?

CalledToRise

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July 2019!!!! So Excited!
Hey y’all. I’m trying to decide on one of the two shirts I’m bringing. It’s a white nike drifit. Is it crazy to wear white on the Camino? I would guess it gets real dirty throughout The day and would be hard to keep it clean. Anyone out there wearing white. I’m doing the CF in the heat of June/July.

Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey y’all. I’m trying to decide on one of the two shirts I’m bringing. It’s a white nike drifit. Is it crazy to wear white on the Camino? I would guess it gets real dirty throughout The day and would be hard to keep it clean. Anyone out there wearing white. I’m doing the CF in the heat of June/July.

Thanks!

Yes ;);)

But not if you like Grey...........which it will likely become :p

Hey, I wear a bright Teal short skirt. Never got dirty.
No reason for white to get dirty unless you plan to roll around in the mud with the cows :)

But yeah, once you wash it with dark socks it will end up grey. Unless you hand wash all the time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I had a white blouse with flowers on it. It was fine. It will never be as white as it used to be, but that is ok as it was old.

Thanks!

Yeah! The white color shirt looks dirty throughout the day and hard to keep it clean.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My husband and I have both always worn white shirts on our Caminos. By the end of our pilgrimage, they are never as white as when we started. If you don't mind your shirt being a bit less bright at the end, then there should be no problem at all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My Camino fashion blunder was that both of my shirts were tan, so it always looked like I was wearing the same thing.
¡Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm just about to set off for a journey to Japan - partly to walk on Shikoku where the traditional pilgrim outfit is all white. And a real pain in the posterior to keep clean unless you are like most Japanese walking pilgrims and stay in lovely traditional places where the owners wash everything for you and bring it back to you clean and dry in the morning :)

henro.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm just about to set off for a journey to Japan - partly to walk on Shikoku where the traditional pilgrim outfit is all white. And a real pain in the posterior to keep clean unless you are like most Japanese walking pilgrims and stay in lovely traditional places where the owners wash everything for you and bring it back to you clean and dry in the morning :)

View attachment 57194

Good luck @Bradypus Seriously considering doing the Henro Michi in the not too distant future. Would love to hear how you got on, accounts in English are still fairly thin on the ground.

They also provide a yukata for you to wear in the evening. So, in theory, you could get away without carrying a change of clothes.
Exactly what some Japanese pilgrims do - walking with just the clothes they are wearing, their staff and a small shoulder bag with the items needed for temple rituals. I felt very overdressed with my full pack and winter weight sleeping bag, mat and bivvy bag for sleeping :)

Good luck @Bradypus Seriously considering doing the Henro Michi in the not too distant future. Would love to hear how you got on, accounts in English are still fairly thin on the ground.
I walked from temple 1 to 88 last year. My main focus this trip is to walk another of the Kumano Kodo routes but I will also be returning to Shikoku to walk the final link from temple 88 back to 1 and probably another few sections again. I have a very strange urge to climb Japan's lowest mountain again. A bizarre experience I think is worth repeating ;) I will send you a private message so we can chat about Shikoku if you like.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I didn't have any white clothing but I saw many others who did - yes it will get dirty, it will look more grey towards the end when you machine wash it with darker clothing, BUT I have to really second what others have been saying: You won't care about it. It is likely that you will wear this sports t-shirt just for the hiking and then maybe switch to another one after shower in the evening? That is what I did. And after days and weeks of doing walking every day: You won't care if your white hiking t-shirt is a little dirty here and there when you are hiking. Buen Camino and don't overthink it :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

View attachment 57194
Looks amazing!

Thanks!
I wore a light khaki (more like light beige) travel shirt that was UPF 50 rated. I wore it more than half of the days on the 45 days of walking. It was great for staying cool (June Camino Frances). I couldn't tell the differenece before/after the walk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks!
I wore my favorite white UV Protection long sleeve top. Did not even consider that white might not be the best choice. It took several weeks for before it clearly was not white anymore, but I still liked the idea of having a light colored shirt on during the day. By then, everyones clothes are a bit tired looking, so it didn't really matter. I did toss it in the garbage upon return home. We hiked Sept/Oct 2017, and daytime temps varied between 45-98 degrees.

I wore a white long sleeve fishing shirt. Great sun protection, let any breeze through, nicely vented. Fast drying. It stayed white. I wore it everyday.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Haha. True true. But I have options and love to obsess! It’s part of the fun. Thanks for the reminder.
A few caminos ago when my wife was driving me to the airport I came out of the bedroom and was picking up my pack when my wife angrily said, "YOU ARE NOT FLYING ON AN AIRPLANE DRESSED LIKE THAT! YOU ARE MY HUSBAND AND I DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO THINK YOU ARE HOMELESS!!!!!! I gently asked her if she wanted me to change into the dress pants she had just bought me and her favorite sweater for the plane ride. The trouble is I will have to throw them out when I get to Paris. This is all I have remember honey??!!!! She then shook her head and said go on your camino and get in the car.

Hahaha, many people nowadays don't get that quip..... in the U.S. people west of the Mississippi hardly even know what you're talking about. Get out the mothballs. hahahaha
Or before Memorial Day. My husband still insists on that. So you can tell how old we are. 😉😄

Exactly what some Japanese pilgrims do - walking with just the clothes they are wearing, their staff and a small shoulder bag with the items needed for temple rituals. I felt very overdressed with my full pack and winter weight sleeping bag, mat and bivvy bag for sleeping :)
Staying in ryokans and not carrying a pack means reserving ahead and buying everything on the way- too rich for my blood

During summer I usually wear tissue weight long sleeve white linen shirts, nothing breathes better or is cooler. On the Camino I take only one and wear it each day. I wash it each evening. Unless it’s very humid the shirt is dry by morning. Linen fibers absorb very little liquid, which adds in fast drying and more importantly in creating a cooling microclimate. Yes, linen wrinkles.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.