• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone with a hotel gem in St Jean?

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 Frances. 2022 Portguese, 2024 Via de la Plata
Hi All.

After a 13 hour flight from Bangkok, I'll immediately be making my way to St Jean by train from CDG airport. I was thinking of stopping in Bordeaux but decided to head straight to the starting paint and have that extra day up my sleeve on the trail.

Now after all that travelling, I won't be in the mood for an alberque and by the time I arrive (7:30pm), have a bite to eat, pick up my poncho, I'll be going straight to sleep to prepare for big walk on day 1.

I'm leaning to the Hotel Ramuntcho, so am keen to hear any opinions on that, or if anyone else has a central gem they'd like to share. I couldn't care less about the view, I just want a good shower, a bed and a little bit of WIFI

Thanks All

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Agree with Falcon, Ramuntcho is a great hotel to stay in. We stayed here in 2014 and will be staying again in April of this year. Great position and good rooms.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ramuncho is a nice hotel and close to everything in the historic part of town, we had a very nice breakfast before leaving for the start of our Camino in the morning.

Ditto to all of the above, you will have a hard time finding better. Just about my favourite of all the French Hotels where I have stayed. Go for it.
Buen Camino

Errecaldia. It's in an old mansion, run by a jolly Englishman who's an old friend of this forum.
Very clean, quiet, and reasonable. You can book via TripAdvisor or Booking.com.
They even have extra-long beds for tall people!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We have booked at Errecaldia for the start of our walk in April.
http://errecaldia.com
It is a B&B guesthouse.
We booked through the website and the owner, Tim was extremely helpful.
We have been in contact with him via email with any questions.
There are only 3 rooms so wise to check out the availability on the website if you are keen.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Errecaldia. It's in an old mansion, run by a jolly Irishman who's an old friend of this forum.
Very clean, quiet, and reasonable. You can book via TripAdvisor or Booking.com.
They even have extra-long beds for tall people!
Small little point of clarification - Tim at Errecaldia is English, not Irish, not even 'British'! And he's quite particular about that!

I second that suggestion, btw. Tim and Louise have three rooms, all with private baths, and all very comfortable. The house is located about 150 yards outside the old city walls, about 250 yards away from the Pilgrim's Office - the perfect spot for a quiet night away from the busyness of the the main street yet only steps away from it all.

I wasn't able to find Errecaldia on booking.com, so here is their website: http://errecaldia.com/

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed at Maison Donamaria B&B (Jean-Francois Rabeux) about 60 Euros/night with breakfast and I was treated wonderfully by the owner whom has an Irish girlfriend and he speaks excellent English...also it is not too close to town which is full of tourist during the day and Pilgrims partying until late in the night...and note that any sound travels well between the stone building in town...also if it is miserable hot there is a swimming pool to cool off but it is also near the river so there is some water noise and occasional children playing in the river.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back