• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anything I should ditch or add?

woody66

This is my boy !
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal 2021 Frances Leon/Muxia2023
Hi All!
Below is a provisional list of clothing I am taking early next May for the Frances!
I haven't included my shoes or rain kilt ; but have included everything else and the spare stuff!

WEARING on arrival from UK

HAGLOF LIM JACKET**
COLUMBIA ZIPP OFFS**
RAB FLEECE**
T SHIRT**
BOXERS**
SOCKS **
HAT ***
SPARES
DARN TOUGHS X 2
COLUMBIA ZIP OFFS/NO LEGS X 1**
BOXERS x 1
PATAGOINA WIND JACKET
LIGHTWEIGHT GLOVES
BUFF*
MERINO T SHIRT LONG SLEEVE
TEVA ORIGINALSANDALS
GHOST WISPERER VEST**
SEAL SKINZ X1 **
MERINO LEGGINGS
COLUMBIA L/S LITE SUN SHIRT
Well last year's Portuguese was hot; and i know the Frances can be very cold at altitude!
What do you guys think anything to leave out? With my quilt ,silk liner and all gear pack weight is 5.35 kilos without food or water (but includes my spare dentures ha!ha!:))
Thanks
Woody

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you need both jackets? The vest and fleece might be duplicates also in terms of function?

Coldest I’ve known it - earlier in the year than you’re planning - merino singlet, LS merino top; fleece and waterproof jacket saw me comfortably over the Cruz de Ferro just after the snowplough.

Maybe squeeze an extra pair of boxers in.

I second that! LIM jacket, Patagonia jacket, fleece, vest, and TWO long sleeve shirts! For a May/June walk, that’s twice the warmth you likely need unless you really really run cold.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi All!
Below is a provisional list of clothing I am taking early next May for the Frances!
I haven't included my shoes or rain kilt ; but have included everything else and the spare stuff!

HAGLOF LIM JACKET**
COLUMBIA ZIPP OFFS**
RAB FLEECE**
T SHIRT**
BOXERS**
SOCKS **
HAT ***
SPARES
DARN TOUGHS X 2
BOXERS x 1
PATAGOINA WIND JACKET
LIGHTWEIGHT GLOVES
BUFF*
TEVA ORIGINALSANDALS
GHOST WISPERER VEST**
SEAL SKINZ X1 **
MERINO LEGGINGS
Well last year's Portuguese was hot; and i know the Frances can be very cold at altitude!
What do you guys think anything to leave out? With my quilt ,silk liner and all gear pack weight is 5.35 kilos without food or water (but includes my spare dentures ha!ha!:))
Thanks
Woody
Two jackets?

Hi All!

HAGLOF LIM JACKET**
COLUMBIA ZIPP OFFS**
RAB FLEECE**
T SHIRT**
BOXERS**
SOCKS **
HAT ***
SPARES
DARN TOUGHS X 2
BOXERS x 1
PATAGOINA WIND JACKET
LIGHTWEIGHT GLOVES
BUFF*
TEVA ORIGINALSANDALS
GHOST WISPERER VEST**
SEAL SKINZ X1 **
MERINO LEGGINGS
Thanks
Woody
Excellent weight even if you bring it all :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It depends on if you run hot or cold. I’m run really hot so I can make do with my Rab vaporwear vest over my Marino t shirt and be good in quite a range of temps. I have a very light Arcteryx fleece if it gets cold and then my rain jacket for the final layer. This has gotten me through a wide variety of conditions where I’m continuously active. But take what you feel works for you. That’s a pretty light pack already!

I’m a first timer, is this actually lightweight before phone, accessories, toiletries, first aid, guide, etc?

I’m a first timer, is this actually lightweight before phone, accessories, toiletries, first aid, guide, etc?
No, 5-6 kg would be considered a reasonably light weight only if it includes everything you would expect to carry on a normal day, except water and snacks and the clothing/shoes you typically wear.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi All!

HAGLOF LIM JACKET**
COLUMBIA ZIPP OFFS**
RAB FLEECE**
T SHIRT**
BOXERS**
SOCKS **
HAT ***
SPARES
DARN TOUGHS X 2
BOXERS x 1
PATAGOINA WIND JACKET
LIGHTWEIGHT GLOVES
BUFF*
TEVA ORIGINALSANDALS
GHOST WISPERER VEST**
SEAL SKINZ X1 **
MERINO LEGGINGS
Thanks
Woody
It would be easier to advise you if I had some idea what these things were!

Haglof LIM Jacket, RAB Fleece, Patagonia wind jacket, ghost whisperer vest - do you need that many jackets? I would take the fleece or a down puffy and a long sleeve shirt (I recommend merino wool) for warmth , and a rain jacket to keep you dry instead. The rain jacket can also be worn over the fleece of down puffy and long sleeve shirt for added warmth and can also serve as a wind breaker if you really need one.

Seal skinz - really not needed. You have 2 extra pairs of socks - make sure one is dry at all times to change into.

Lightweight gloves - totally optional. I would bring for early May - didn't need them for the end of May. But remember - dry socks can also serve as gloves if only needed occasionally for hand warmth.

If you are wearing a pair of zip off pants and you are carrying a pair - you don't need merino leggings too. Unless you are always cold.

Don't forget some sort of towel, sleeping bag liner and/or sleeping bag (unless you will be in privates the entire way - no guarantee of bedding), and blister care as well as a few personal hygiene items. Are you bringing hiking poles (optional)? I also assume you have boots/shoes to hike in and not just your Tevas.

My rule of thumb: Bring only what you need to wear for the coldest, rainiest day possible. In layers. Plus something very light to sleep in or hang out in while the above dries if the weather was truly awful or on rare wash days. All else is superfluous. No extra anything!! (Underwear excluded LOL)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.