• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anything published on coastal route?

dustylee

I am trying to plan a walk from Porto to Santiago for myself and a couple of friends, but I am uncertain about whether we can really walk the coast after the first stage. I guess I am asking a couple of questions: is there anything published with the route & places to stay? are there any pilgrim albergues along the way? And is it any more difficult than walking the more traditional route. I am the only one who has walked any of the camino routes in the past & want to make choices that will be fun & not too difficult for my friends. I think we want to do no more than about 20 kms/day. Any ideas, recommendations, etc. I do want to be able to stay in hostels since I think that is a big part of the experience that I want to share.
dusty

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am trying to plan a walk from Porto to Santiago for myself and a couple of friends, but I am uncertain about whether we can really walk the coast after the first stage. I guess I am asking a couple of questions: is there anything published with the route & places to stay? are there any pilgrim albergues along the way? And is it any more difficult than walking the more traditional route. I am the only one who has walked any of the camino routes in the past & want to make choices that will be fun & not too difficult for my friends. I think we want to do no more than about 20 kms/day. Any ideas, recommendations, etc. I do want to be able to stay in hostels since I think that is a big part of the experience that I want to share.
dusty
I walked the Coast this September, it is pretty well signed.best start is Metro to Matosinhos Mercardo, then walk over the swing bridge and follow the Arrows, to the sea.Just keep the sea on your left!
My Blog is "ensuitepilgrim.com/Wordpress".There is also a Thread on this site.
E-mail me at "jgtwort@yahoo.co.uk" if you would like a spreadsheet,re accommodation.It is a great Caminho.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the Coast this September, it is pretty well signed.best start is Metro to Matosinhos Mercardo, then walk over the swing bridge and follow the Arrows, to the sea.Just keep the sea on your left!
My Blog is "ensuitepilgrim.com/Wordpress".There is also a Thread on this site.
E-mail me at "jgtwort@yahoo.co.uk" if you would like a spreadsheet,re accommodation.It is a great Caminho.
I also tried to get your blog, but I got an error message.

dusty
Your question could be a bit confusing.
There is a caminho da costa which starts in Porto and follows the entire coastline all away up to Baiona before it joins the interior route in Redondela where it goes on to Santiago

The other is a trail of one day from Porto to Vila de Conde along the ocean (about 30 kms) and than turns inland to Sāo Pedro de Rates up to Barcelos and Ponte de Lima and so on.

The last has been published in John Brierley 's travelguide caminho Portuges as a detour at the first day, leaving Porto. Instead of following the busy roads outside Porto the detour follows the Douro river and the Atlantic coast . Of course you can take the metro to Mercado and start at the swing bridge ..follow the yellow arrows from there and after 500 meters you'll see the ocean. Great walk !

Last edited:
Your question could be a bit confusing.
There is a caminho da costa which starts in Porto and follows the entire coastline all away up to Baiona before it joins the interior route in Redondela where it goes on to Santiago

The other is a trail of one day from Porto to Vila de Conde along the ocean (about 30 kms) and than turns inland to Sāo Pedro de Rates up to Barcelos and Ponte de Lima and so on.

The last has been published in John Brierley 's travelguide caminho Portuges as a detour at the first day, leaving Porto. Instead of following the busy roads outside Porto the detour follows the Douro river and the Atlantic coast . Of course you can take the metro to Mercado and start at the swing bridge ..follow the yellow arrows from there and after 500 meters you'll see the ocean. Great walk !

I saw the last one in the travel guide but was interested in finding out more about the former which follows the coast for a longer time. Any ideas about how to get more info re that route?
Thanks-
Dusty

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You 'll find it on the internet. There are some websites in Spanish with maps and information. I was intending to walk the coastal.we came all along from Lisbon and walked from Matosinhos to Vila do Conde along the ocean.during those 20 kms we noticed that you hardly meet any people. Most villages were deserted . Most are summerhouses .so not the right caminho feeling anyway when we walked there last May.
So on the bridge of Vila do Conde at the very last moment we decided to walk the interior route to Rates. We do not know what we missed along the coast but got the right feel meeting up a lot of people, staying at casa da Fernanda, visiting Braga and walked off road between Ponte de Lima and Rubiaes..the best part.

The true coastal route is a bear...I lasted until Ancora before calling it quits and heading inland to Valenca last year...I walked in the fall, so that was part of the problem. There were few pilgrims and few albergues too.

We are about to head out to do this route tomorrow - well that's what we are planning anyway! I will be blogging about it along the way on www.ellaleah.wordpress.com so will try to give some information there! There are a couple of good threads about the coastal route which really helped me in my planning. The Coastal Route in July is one of them. I would start by reading through that and the links provided in that!

Good luck

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good luck! If you actually do blog more than what you have on your website (you might consider filling out the About page, btw), I will be sure to include it in www.caminodesantiagopress.com

dusty
Get the Brierley guide. That will have all the info you need. We did the coastal route last year, and it was beautiful and it meets up with the main route on day 3.
Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get the Brierley guide. That will have all the info you need. We did the coastal route last year, and it was beautiful and it meets up with the main route on day 3.
Buen camino.

...there is an actual coastal route that follows all the way up the coast. Brierley doesn't even remotely begin to cover that and most of the info out there is in Portuguese or Spanish. I know of a few people who were supposed to be working on something for the CSJ guides (was it johnnywalker and rebekah?) but I have yet to see anything from them. It would be nice to have something in English with decent maps...the Caminho da Costa is absolutely gorgeous, but it is a little more remote and there aren't as many albergues, though people were very kind and there are options of places to stay in the larger cities.

I've walked the Caminho da Costa to Ancora. Happy to help. Let me know.

We did the coastal route in October ... Porto to Vigo (crossing into Spain by ferry from Caminha to A Guarda). From Vigo the route goes inland to Redondela and from there follows the Caminho Portugese.

I've walked the Caminho da Costa to Ancora. Happy to help. Let me know.

Thanks for the offer. I think I will start working on the coastal route first and leave the "traditional" Porto to Santiago route for later. I´m just going to be compiling information, but once I have a skeletal format, I can let you veterans go to it and see if we can turn it into a real guide. Thanks! Laurie

Hi Laurie.
Did you ever do the coastal route from Porto after the above post.

I am going to do it this year either June or Sept and would appreciate any feed back if available

Thanks

Nickie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Nickie,
I decided to leave the CSJ guide as is, sticking to the traditional routes with Part 1 Lisbon-Porto and Part 2 Porto-Santiago. I haven't walked the coastal route, and I soon learned that it would be impossible for me to write a guide to a route I don't know at all.

There's a fair number of people on the forum who have walked the route, so maybe someone will take on the task of gathering information and putting it together for others. Buen camino, Laurie

I'll be posting about the coastal route on my website this month. I'm giving a talk on it at a local outfitter. I thought Johnnywalker and Rebekah were working on one too. Guides are a lot of work!

Hi, renegadepilgrim,
I agreed to do the CSJ updates since JohnnieWalker and Reb have so many other projects and that took the coastal route off the list. So the field is wide open for you.;) Looking forward to reading your blog -- this is a route that has a lot of appeal.

Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not gonna happen. I'm tired of working for free. ;) my blog will have to do.

That's the challenge then
, walk this beautiful way and write a blog(something I have never done before) that Laurie approves off.
I cannot understand why this way isn't more travelled, but maybe I am about to find out the hard way

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

Because there isn't a map or directions in English. That's why. It's also not way marked well and easy to get lost if you're not paying attention. I only made it to Ancora before giving up and getting on the central route after a particularly bad day of getting lost. Time of year also played a part in that. All stuff I'll talk about on my website.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We are planning to do the Porto to Santiago walk beginning mid-May & will only do the first day along the coast (weather permitting). I have been planning the trip for myself & 4 friends, so I have been trying to get an itinerary together that would meet everyone's differing needs. I think we are planning to stay the first night in a new hostel in Povoa which is a bit shorter than the first normal stop. But we have decided to give ourselves a few extra days so that we can take a day off & will also use a taxi to carry some of the luggage rather than using a luggage service which requires we make all our plans in advance. Getting excited & hoping it starts to warm up here in New Mexico so I can start doing some longer walks. Hope you have a great trip.

I walked this route last July, alone at first but met some wonderful fellow pilgrims. It was not too physically demanding, but there was quite a bit of road and that got to my feet. The allbergues were basic, which I liked, and I had some of the best meals in my life. Try to get your teeth into done gooseneck barnacles in redondela at the restaurant down the hill from the convent (it's the only restaurant with camino signage). The convent was a dream come true. Private, clean, peaceful and cheap.
We used Louis' guide, posted in this forum.
Annie, I'd love to help out.
Best!

We did the coastal route in October ... Porto to Vigo (crossing into Spain by ferry from Caminha to A Guarda). From Vigo the route goes inland to Redondela and from there follows the Caminho Portugese.
Hi - I"m thinking of doing this route in October 2014. Can you tell me more about the weather at that time, how many people were around, whether you think it would be OK for a woman on her own, and any other tips. Much appreciated.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi - I"m thinking of doing this route in October 2014. Can you tell me more about the weather at that time, how many people were around, whether you think it would be OK for a woman on her own, and any other tips. Much appreciated.

Lots of rain (but that was happening everywhere). We didn't meet any other pilgrims until we turned inland to connect with the traditional route. Itinerary with comments is posted in the forum and Johnnie Walker has added it to his guide to the coastal route too.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back