Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Anywhere to stay in or near Dozón?

rgutena

Past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (2022?)
Dear friends in the forum, does anyone know if there is anywhere to stay in or around Dozón? I see that the distance from Cea to Lalín is at least 36km, and I am trying to see if I can stop overnight somewhere en route. Grateful for any advice. Thank you!

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

rgutena

Past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (2022?)

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Past OR future Camino
A few in the past; more in the future!
We will also face this issue in a few days. According to Gronze, there is an albergue in Dozón (which they principally call O Castro) but it’s currently closed.

Gronze lists a hostal in Botos (A Taberna de Vento), 12.6km past Dozón, making it about 27km from Cea to Botos. Another option is to go further than Cea the day before, either to Piñor or to the monastery at Oseira on an alternate route.

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Ourense to Santiago (2019), CF: (2014, 2004, 2002, 2001). On to Fisterra, (2002, 4, 14).
Too bad albergue is closed.

Stayed there November 2019.

Excellent food. Clean dorm. And a pool.

Maybe to Dozon.

Taxi to lodging.

Taxi back in morning and walk from there.

Buen camino.

Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

peregrina2000

Staff member
The last time I stayed in Dozón, I met a bunch of pilgrims waiting in a café for someone to come pick them up to take them to a casa rural. Googlemaps shows a few in the area.

And for those like @jungleboy who finds it hard to pass up a Romanesque church, I have never made it here but would very much like to.

But the Oseira monastery has just opened a newly refurbished albergue that looks pretty great. The alternative is a bit longer, but by sleeping in Oseira after Cea you can then find places, Taberna do Vento at about 22. Forum members have stayed there, I’m pretty sure.

Past OR future Camino
June 2013, June 2014, Oct 2014, May 2015
Hi, I walked from Cea to Santo Domingo, 18km, as far es I remember. The lady owner of an albergue in Lalín collected me there and returned me to the same spot the following morning. The owner of the casa rural in Cea phoned ahead and booked the albergue with the collect and return included for 22e, one person. Lalín is a nice big town, the camino Invierno crosses through the town also. I stayed Sallida the following night.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
10/22 Aragones/Frances
We will also face this issue in a few days. According to Gronze, there is an albergue in Dozón (which they principally call O Castro) but it’s currently closed.

Gronze lists a hostal in Botos (A Taberna de Vento), 12.6km past Dozón, making it about 27km from Cea to Botos. Another option is to go further than Cea the day before, either to Piñor or to the monastery at Oseira on an alternate route.
I was just looking at Gronze and you are correct:
Here is the link if that helps anyone.

wanda

Past OR future Camino
planning Via de la Plata spring 2022
Too bad albergue is closed.

Stayed there November 2019.

Excellent food. Clean dorm. And a pool.

Maybe to Dozon.

Taxi to lodging.

Taxi back in morning and walk from there.

Buen camino.
I am not sure how it will work but I plan on doing as suggested above. Walk, then taxi to Silleda, then taxi back to where stopped walking. I will get local taxi number in Cea. I would imagine they will be available on this stretch because of accommodation challenges.

jungleboy

Past OR future Camino
But the Oseira monastery has just opened a newly refurbished albergue that looks pretty great. The alternative is a bit longer, but by sleeping in Oseira after Cea you can then find places, Taberna do Vento at about 22. Forum members have stayed there, I’m pretty sure.
Inspired by this thread, we started properly planning this section a few hours ago and our idea was what you said. The problem is that the taberna is already fully booked for the night in question although it’s still six days away (we called them).

Our new plan out of Ourense is this:
- Day 1: walk Ourense to Cea (21-22km), stay in the albergue there.
- Day 2: walk the very short distance to Oseira (8.5km) and stay at the monastery. This gives us time/energy to enjoy the monastery rather than doing 30km the day before and not having that time/energy.
- Day 3: walk about 29km and stay in the albergue in A Laxe.

We will then decide on doing the remaining 50-ish kms to Santiago in two days or three.

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Past OR future Camino
Too many to count!
The proprietor at the Taberna de Vento in Botos (Estación de Lalín) is extremely friendly and helpful, however, when we were there, he was a one-man show! But his accommodative spirit was worth waiting for the food. My friend crashed here, unable to walk after an accumulative injury, and he helped us so much! Here are photos of the place, scroll down to the end of the article to see them. The Hostal part is separate from the Taberna, several meters apart, but go to the bar to register.

And Nick, you will not regret spending the extra time at the Mosteiro. The one-hour tour is fantastic. We did too much that day, Cea to Estación de Lalín, about 32 kilometers including the one hour tour!

rgutena

Past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (2022?)
Thank you all for your replies and helpful suggestions! I will look into the options suggested. I have already booked a night at the Taberna de Vento, but that is still close to 40km from Cea, isn't it? I have also thought about taking a taxi, but am not sure if there is mobile phone reception in Dozón where I will want to be picked up. And I don't speak any Spanish at all! So I may need to ask the guesthouse owner in Cea to book it for me when I check out in the morning...

jungleboy

Past OR future Camino
Thank you all for your replies and helpful suggestions! I will look into the options suggested. I have already booked a night at the Taberna de Vento, but that is still close to 40km from Cea, isn't it?
Per Gronze, Cea to O Castro (Dozón) is 14.5 and O Castro to Botos is 12.6, so 27.1 is the total.

Last edited:
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Camino Creative Credencial Workshop
A two-part workshop that guides you into creating a credencial and shares it online

rgutena

Past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (2022?)
Per Gronze, Cea to O Castro (Dozón) is 14.5 and O Castro to Botos is 12.6, so 27.1 is the total.
I see! That is not so bad then. I don't have a guidebook and am just going by the itinerary suggested on CaminoWays (commercial operator's) website, according to which Cea to Dozón is 19km and then Dozón to Lalín is 17km. The itinerary you have in mind looks good too. Anyway, the guesthouse owner in Cea has agreed to organise vehicle pickup for me so I think I am all sorted. Thank you again!

frjuliangreen

Past OR future Camino
Camino Inglés (2018)
Camino Portugués (2019)
Vía de la Plata/Camino Sanabrés (2020)
Dear friends in the forum, does anyone know if there is anywhere to stay in or around Dozón? I see that the distance from Cea to Lalín is at least 36km, and I am trying to see if I can stop overnight somewhere en route. Grateful for any advice. Thank you!
I'm planning on doing that section in October. I contacted the local authority in Dozón and they said the albergue won't be open this year due to renovations. I contacted one of the casas rurales near Cea (Alojamiento Pazos) and they offered two nights accommodation plus picking me up in Dozón and returning me there for 9 euros. I can't see any other options near Dozón.

Past OR future Camino
Camino Finisterra 2022
I just went through this way. I broke up this section by walking to Dozon (albergue closed for the year), taking a taxi to Lalin (the cafe at the bottom of the hill just at the edge of Dozon can help), taking a taxi back to Dozon and then walking to Lalin. BTW... the Via del La Plata does NOT go to Lalin, despite what some maps and guides say. It skirts the edge of town 2k to the west. The Invierno goes into Lalin from the opposite side of town. One can however detour easily into Lalin, if one pays attention to where an easy cut off goes. Then, pickup the Invierno back to the Via de LaPlata just north of Lalin...a BEAUTIFUL walk out of Lalin on the Invierno.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads