• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Apologies... Power adaptor for Camino

Monya

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (April 2014)
Sorry for posting this here, but I doubt it will be of any interest to the rest if the pilgrims.

Do we need to take a socket adaptor/converter for our electronic equipment? Or, by some small mercy, will our standard SA 2 pin plug fit into their standard wall socket?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry for posting this here, but I doubt it will be of any interest to the rest if the pilgrims.

Do we need to take a socket adaptor/converter for our electronic equipment? Or, by some small mercy, will our standard SA 2 pin plug fit into their standard wall socket?

Looks like you may need an adapter. Check out http://kropla.com/electric2.htm to see how the South African plugs compare to the ones used in Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have had a look at this link... I did HG science as a Matric subject, but I think I slept through this part...

It looks like Spain uses the same type of two pin plug as us (type C) which will cover cell and camera chargers. They also have Type F plugs, which is the round two pin plug, such as on my hair dryer - which is no issue, as this is staying at home - but is useful info, as the type C two pin fits in the type F two pin. Our three pin type M plugs don't stand a chance ;)

Is that about right?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Hi Monya I walked in Aug-Sept last year 2013 and had an European adaptor but didnt need it as 2 prong SA plug worked in their plugs. Its less to carry! Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
With all electrical devices you need to check for two things:

Power adapter : Means can your device support the different power levels (amps, watts) for Europe (Spain).

Most computers, cameras, mobile phones have this either built into the device itself or the power adapter that comes with the device has the capability. Just check the power adapter that comes with the device or the manual

Plug adapter: Means can your power adapter actually plug into the European wall socket. Europe uses a plug that consists of a pair of two round narrow pins. Other regions of the world uses different combinations of pins (shape, size and quantity)

If you are coming from another region of the world, more than likely you will need a plug adapter that allows you to plug your power adapter or device into the European wall socket.

With all electrical devices you need to check for two things:

Power adapter : Means can your device support the different power levels (amps, watts) for Europe (Spain).

Volts and Hz. Amps and watts don't really matter for anything the average person is going to take. I guess if somebody brings a large hair dryer but phones etc have tiny power requirements.

People need to see 220V or 240V. 50Hz

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Volts and Hz. Amps and watts don't really matter for anything the average person is going to take. I guess if somebody brings a large hair dryer but phones etc have tiny power requirements.

People need to see 220V or 240V. 50Hz

Agreed but I have come the occasional device that is only rated for North American standards and does not have a built in power adapter.

And I have seen the occasional person take a hair dryer on the camino (later shipped home with a load of other stuff deemed not necessary)

:)

220V/50hz is EU standard. I think many other parts of the world. North American only would be 110V/60HZ .

If we're being complete :D I think Japan is 100V.

If the device mentiions 220V and 50HZ it'll work in virtually any part of Europe. Assuming the plug fits.

Those are the numbers that matter.

220V/50hz is EU standard. I think many other parts of the world. North American only would be 110V/60HZ .

If we're being complete :D I think Japan is 100V.

If the device mentiions 220V and 50HZ it'll work in virtually any part of Europe. Assuming the plug fits.

Those are the numbers that matter.

And just to further clarify what NicoZ is saying:
1. Look at the fine print on the charger, not the phone, camera, or other device, to find the voltage. Most modern chargers will say something like 110v/60hz and 220v/50 hz, which means they can be used without a voltage adapter (transformer). But the print is usually very small and hard to see.
2. If you need a plug adapter to use the Type C two-pin European socket, I strongly suggest taping the adapter to your charger or foreign power plug. It's too easy to pull the charger away from the wall socket and leave the adapter behind (voice of experience speaking here). In fact, many albergues have a box of left-behind adapters and will either lend one or outright give one away to the unfortunate pilgrim who left his or her adapter back at the last albergue. It's probably wise to take a spare adapter, too, since they are difficult to find along the Camino except in the larger cities.

Buen Camino,
Jim

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.