• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

App for android

jerbear

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de madrid, camino francis, camino inverino (2012, 2013,2014)
CdM, Francis, San salvador, primativo june 2015 CDM , francis, inverino 2016
Camino madrid, via de Plata. Santiago.
Coast of the dead malpica to muxia
Guide for spain with maps for android that I can use offline as well. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Trecile. I need for Android.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Guide for spain with maps for android that I can use offline as well. Thanks.

Hello, I used Locus Map for android available from Play Store during my Camino this past August and September. It is free and if you pay approx. $4.50 you loose the ads and get a larger screen. You also can add three free full map sets. I added Spain, full topo, streets etc and it has the full Camion Frances route including alternate route ie Burgos river route . The app runs offline using your phone's GPS. I used it a few times to get back on route when I was walking in the dark. If you own an iphone you can get Locus Map Lite. I am note sure if has the capabilities of the android version. Locus Map and the Camion Pilgrim app (free) got me through the Camino. I had John Brierley's book and opened it once. In fact I just "flowed" and quickly reached the point where I really didn't care where I was; that is the spirit of the Camino. Seven months since I returned and I am still reeling. As one old German fella told me "The Camino is a gift from God"......

How do you load the Camino Frances route into Locus Maps? I purchased the App and loaded the offline Spain map but do not see how to get the route.

I know this is a really basic question, but there is a basic thing about the mapping apps I'm not sure I understand.

When using offline maps, are you still using up your phone's "data"?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How do you load the Camino Frances route into Locus Maps? I purchased the App and loaded the offline Spain map but do not see how to get the route.
Lee, Select Spain maps. Zoom to any town or city along the Camino and you should see a blue line with the Camino shell symbol at increments along it. That is the route (its not the same route format that you might be familiar with on a GPS where a route is a series of waypoints and the unit navigate from point to point). But this will bring you back on track if you get off. When you are using the map the dish symbol in the upper right corner will turn green when you have satellite connection. Touching the symbol in the lower left will place your position on the map. It moves when you walk like the symbol on an auto gps. Let me know if you have any more problems. You will not be the same person after your journey and there are no real worries of being lost .... :)

I know this is a really basic question, but there is a basic thing about the mapping apps I'm not sure I understand.

When using offline maps, are you still using up your phone's "data"?
No, that's the point of having offline maps, for when you don't have data available or don't want to use it.

Lee, Select Spain maps. Zoom to any town or city along the Camino and you should see a blue line with the Camino shell symbol at increments along it. That is the route (its not the same route format that you might be familiar with on a GPS where a route is a series of waypoints and the unit navigate from point to point). But this will bring you back on track if you get off. When you are using the map the dish symbol in the upper right corner will turn green when you have satellite connection. Touching the symbol in the lower left will place your position on the map. It moves when you walk like the symbol on an auto gps. Let me know if you have any more problems. You will not be the same person after your journey and there are no real worries of being lost .... :)

Thank you so much. I looked at a couple of cities and found the line with the shell. We leave early tomorrow for Madrid to SJPP.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you so much. I looked at a couple of cities and found the line with the shell. We leave early tomorrow for Madrid to SJPP.
Lee, walk with no expectations, an open mind, an open heart and an open soul and both you will be fine..... and most of all wide foot boxed light hikers, lower laces loose, a good liner sock and a light over sock (merino if possible), remove when you arrive each day and lubricate sore muscles and bones from the inside with plenty of cold beer and red wine .... :) :)

No, that's the point of having offline maps, for when you don't have data available or don't want to use it.

Thank you - I know it sounded like a stupid question! But wait, there's more! :D

I wasn't sure if "offline" just meant you didn't need wifi. I thought perhaps utilizing a phone's gps required data. So to be clear.....

One can use the phone's gps - therefore not only using offline maps, but also seeing one's real-time position in them - without using data, correct?

If I'm in the habit of keeping my phone in airplane mode when I hike to save battery - I assume I'd need to stop doing that in order to utilize the gps, and therefore the offline maps?

Are all these apps basically just variations on a theme - people try out one or several of them, and pick their favorite? I mean, Maps.me, Locus, RealTrek, Galileo, etc...... they all do essentially the same thing?

Or, and here is where my confusion/tech-fear really sets in..... do I need to also find and download camino "tracks" into these apps?

It sounds like Locus automatically has the Frances? Do others? And more importantly for me in 2 weeks, what about non-Frances caminos? I'll be walking the Mozarabe from Almeria before joining the VdlP/Sanabres.

Thank you - I know it sounded like a stupid question! But wait, there's more! :D

I wasn't sure if "offline" just meant you didn't need wifi. I thought perhaps utilizing a phone's gps required data. So to be clear.....

One can use the phone's gps - therefore not only using offline maps, but also seeing one's real-time position in them - without using data, correct?

If I'm in the habit of keeping my phone in airplane mode when I hike to save battery - I assume I'd need to stop doing that in order to utilize the gps, and therefore the offline maps?

Are all these apps basically just variations on a theme - people try out one or several of them, and pick their favorite? I mean, Maps.me, Locus, RealTrek, Galileo, etc...... they all do essentially the same thing?

Or, and here is where my confusion/tech-fear really sets in..... do I need to also find and download camino "tracks" into these apps?

It sounds like Locus automatically has the Frances? Do others? And more importantly for me in 2 weeks, what about non-Frances caminos? I'll be walking the Mozarabe from Almeria before joining the VdlP/Sanabres.
I just checked and the Northern Camion Route is there also in blue. My GPS runs in airplane mode. (android). When zooming in on Almeria in South Spain I could not find Camion route. Even without the route the app in combination with a guide book will be useful .... :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Spanish government maps people have an app called IGN Mapas. You can download camino tracks for it but I believe you must do that before leaving WIFI-land as you need some kind of login and the maps are offline. A nice Spanish man was showing it to me, but he was from Malaga so it was so very hard to understand what he said. It looked very fancy. It also had a bossy lady's voice that would say 'demasiado deja de la ruta' very annoyingly.

It's a certain fact that people who use satnav get lost more.

Last edited:
Just as a follow up to the Locus Map thread. Locus Map does import GPX files (route files created on GPS units or available for download online). When locus map imports GPX files they are converted to Tracks. To do this, transfer the GPX file to your Android phone, go to your files, tap the GPX file and Locus will pick it up and import it. Regarding GPX files for the Camino(s) there are many at wikiloc. Set up and account and download GPX files for free. A link for the site is posted below.....

https://www.wikiloc.com/

Last edited:
I think I can answer a couple of these questions, although I am not a tech person. "Offline" means you have already downloaded the maps (probably when you did have wifi) so they are stored in your phone's memory. So, you can use them without further wifi or data.

As far as I know, most/all phones have GPS which does not need "data." (My husband tells me that the GPS receives data only, and the function is separate from the phone/"data". So you can see your little blue dot of real-time position on whatever maps you have already downloaded.

You should be able to use the GPS and the offline maps while you are in airplane mode (again because the GPS receiver is different and you are not transmitting).

Hope this helps!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.