• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

App for Iphone with GPS

Wanderingfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
I am looking for the best app for iphone that would show where I am and the Camino path should I get off course. Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I like FarOut (formerly called guthooks). You download the app and pay for the trail you want. It shows you all the pertinent information for the trail, including water sources, towns, some lodging etc. You can send loved ones your coordinates. You can track your walk. And of course - you can find your way back to the trail should you lose it. I love that you can see distances clearly to the next water source or town, you can see how much elevation you still need to climb, and so on.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I should add... the Camino tends to be very well marked most of the time. But you will inevitably miss a turn somewhere along the way. Usually you will figure out you missed a turn pretty fast. But when you don't - that is when the GPS of the trail comes in handy! I took a wrong turn coming out of Ventosa - I wandered quite a bit out of my way through some vineyards. My FarOut (guthooks) showed me the way back - although getting back onto the path was a bit challenging due to fencing between me and the path! haha

The Wise Pilgrim series of apps does this, and it works offline too. There are a quite a few mapping apps which get the job done, as mentioned above, but it's nice to have camino specific information embedded into the app as well... for example to know not just your location along the camino but your lodging as well.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I use AllTrails app in the United States which has worked well for me. I did pay for the "pro" membership. I have already downloaded the entire CF to use offline in May. However, I am curious if anyone else had the chance to use it on the Camino.

I like FarOut (formerly called guthooks). You download the app and pay for the trail you want. It shows you all the pertinent information for the trail, including water sources, towns, some lodging etc. You can send loved ones your coordinates. You can track your walk. And of course - you can find your way back to the trail should you lose it. I love that you can see distances clearly to the next water source or town, you can see how much elevation you still need to climb, and so on.
Thank you for this but what I am wanting is a journelling app for my friend and family to follow. I will check farout though for my own purpose.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I like Buen Camino the most because I can select a destination the next day and figure out distances. The bummer (for me at least, IPhone 12) is the little arrow showing the direction I’m walking isn’t there. Just a dot. So if I am caught in a quandary, I have to walk a little bit in the direction “I think” is right and confirm, or turn around. Totally open to new suggestions tho.

Thank you for this but what I am wanting is a journelling app for my friend and family to follow. I will check farout though for my own purpose.
Ah... well, the FarOut will get you GPS location and your family can and friends can follow - but it is NOT for journaling!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am looking for the best app for iphone that would show where I am and the Camino path should I get off course. Thank you.
Dont know what Camino you are planning but if its the Frances, you dont need any apps or gps devices. It is so well marked you would be highly unlikely to get lost or off course. To put it bluntly, you would need to be walking with your eyes closed and depending on time of year you only need listen for other pilgrims on the road. When I walked my first camino in 2013, there were no apps and gps devices were as rare as hens teeth. I had no experience of hiking and my only walking was around the local supermarket. Did not get lost or off course once. Some of the lesser walked trails may require a bit more care however

AlpineQuest.
It has a specific spanish hiking trail layer, that can be superimposed on a topographical and a road map. It'll tell you within 1m where you're at relative to any camino, hiking, walking or cycling trail. Maps can be downloaded ahead of time to any level of detail you want, and your travels recorded.

I would have a loo

I would check the Camino Ninja App. It’s focused around navigation for the Camino (and free)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dont know what Camino you are planning but if its the Frances, you dont need any apps or gps devices. It is so well marked you would be highly unlikely to get lost or off course. To put it bluntly, you would need to be walking with your eyes closed and depending on time of year you only need listen for other pilgrims on the road.
While that is "mostly" true - there ARE places that are not well marked and it is easy to miss a turn. And there aren't always other pilgrims or locals around to help put you back on path. I walked last summer - and after reading lots of comments like yours on forums like this - I assumed what you stated to be true. But when I arrived I found quite a few areas that were poorly marked. And I had days when I walked alone for hours at a time. Most of the time, it was easy to get back on track. Just retrace your steps until you find your way back to an arrow. Several times the arrows were so hard to locate that I did put my GPS on. And then there is that one time that I hadn't used GPS and I knew I had lost the arrows and knew I wouldn't find my way back to the path without gps. I was walking through an area with lots of vinyards and every road I crossed looked the same. I was thankful my GPS showed me a way back to the path. I could have gone hours without seeing someone to help me find my way back.

While that is "mostly" true - there ARE places that are not well marked and it is easy to miss a turn. And there aren't always other pilgrims or locals around to help put you back on path. I walked last summer - and after reading lots of comments like yours on forums like this - I assumed what you stated to be true. But when I arrived I found quite a few areas that were poorly marked. And I had days when I walked alone for hours at a time. Most of the time, it was easy to get back on track. Just retrace your steps until you find your way back to an arrow. Several times the arrows were so hard to locate that I did put my GPS on. And then there is that one time that I hadn't used GPS and I knew I had lost the arrows and knew I wouldn't find my way back to the path without gps. I was walking through an area with lots of vinyards and every road I crossed looked the same. I was thankful my GPS showed me a way back to the path. I could have gone hours without seeing someone to help me find my way back.
And also getting out of bigger cities can be a hassle sometimes

I recommend Wikiloc for not getting lost in the first place. If you load a track and keep the app running it will sound an alarm if you stray off the track.

I haven't used a camino specific app. I prefer to use three that are useful everywhere and have base maps with trails that Google usually doesn't show. OSMand, maps.me and Wikiloc.

Here's a related thread:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you want a journaling map/ap, I used Find Penguins on the CF last summer. It won't tell you where you are or where any facilities are in real time, so it's no use for navigation. But it provides a space for journaling and uploading photos/videos. It also provides a map based on the geolocation of your photos. As a method of journaling and providing others with your progress on a map, it worked very well for me. Here's a link to my camino. I haven't made use of all of the editing tools to polish it up, so don't expect a lot. But the tools are there if you have the motivation to make a production level journal. https://findpenguins.com/0coe1cjahzi5h/trip/with-best-of-intentions

Buen Camino!!

I recommend Wikiloc for not getting lost in the first place. If you load a track and keep the app running it will sound an alarm if you stray off the track.

I haven't used a camino specific app. I prefer to use three that are useful everywhere and have base maps with trails that Google usually doesn't show. OSMand, maps.me and Wikiloc.

Here's a related thread:

You should try the Camino Ninja App. I think you would like it :)

Especially if you actually try it on the camino :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Oh... here's something: POSTALE -- iphone app that you can create virtual postcards with, and when you send them, the programme creates a stamp that looks like a postage stamp, but it puts your geo-location in the information.

I love it... i can send to groups via email, or create individualized ones.

I like Buen Camino the most because I can select a destination the next day and figure out distances. The bummer (for me at least, IPhone 12) is the little arrow showing the direction I’m walking isn’t there. Just a dot. So if I am caught in a quandary, I have to walk a little bit in the direction “I think” is right and confirm, or turn around. Totally open to new suggestions tho.
The "wake trail" attached to your dot is your directional marker.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I prefer the "I like to search the fletchas or ask locals" app. alittlebitadventure.com. :)

I love your approach @pasiño a pasiño ;).
Especally on the Camino Portugues , even when I was only resting for a couple of minutes, locals asked me if I needed help with directions.

And wikiloc is a great extra , now I understand all the features.

Last edited:
I think you are talking about two different things. One is a travel app where you upload pictures and text and show your location. I think the choices most frequently mentioned here are Find Penguins and Polar Steps.

The other is an app that records your actual steps. Wikiloc is the one that I am most familiar with. You can upload your tracks after you have walked, and when you take pictures while walking, the pictures will show up on the GPS at the point where you are. (I have a bunch of tracks recorded on wikiloc.com, with my forum name, peregrina2000, so you can see what that looks like, You can add text to the wikiloc posts, but I think it is a very cumbersome way to do a “travel blog.”

Not sure I’ve understood exactly what you are looking for, but I have tried a couple of times in your different threads!

I use AllTrails app in the United States which has worked well for me. I did pay for the "pro" membership. I have already downloaded the entire CF to use offline in May. However, I am curious if anyone else had the chance to use it on the Camino.
I love AllTrails when hiking in the United States. But, when I used it last September on the CP, I found it unreliable. Several times it tried to send us in a different direction than the lovely yellows arrows told us to go.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The Wise Pilgrim series of apps does this, and it works offline too.
I recommend a dedicated Camino app.
Wise Pilgrim, Buen Camino, and Camino Ninja are three good ones.
I agree completely with wisepilgrim and trecile. The maps show you exactly where you are and if you are off the camino which walking from Sarria unless your head is on the moon it is almost impossible to get lost. Believe as I often walk with my head on Jupiter.
As Wisepilgrim also said you get the benefit of seeing accommodations for sleeping and other useful information. They are all good apps and please support Wisepilgrim as he is a wonderful contributor to the Camino and our forum. All free and almost idiot proof. Again I use myself as an example of what is idiot proof.

Ok wait. Is that something I missed or is that just another way of saying what I said before…? “Walk a bit, turn around, or not”.
It means that if you look at your dot in the Apple map that you should see a blue plume coming off your dot. the blue plume points in the direction that the top of your phone is facing (usually you will be walking in that direction too, but if you turn your phone, you will see that the plume goes with the direction of your phone).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It means that if you look at your dot in the Apple map that you should see a blue plume coming off your dot. the blue plume points in the direction that the top of your phone is facing (usually you will be walking in that direction too, but if you turn your phone, you will see that the plume goes with the direction of your phone).
No shit, yah I’m used to working with multiple gps apps, I know how the plume as you describe it is supposed to work, here’s the deal tho, no plume on Buen Camino. Is it some setting?

I don't see Camino Assist mentioned. I believe it has all you are looking for in an App. I have it on my iPhone and used it on the Salvador. It has too many features for me.

No shit, yah I’m used to working with multiple gps apps, I know how the plume as you describe it is supposed to work, here’s the deal tho, no plume on Buen Camino. Is it some setting?
Ooooooh. I misunderstood which map was giving you trouble. I thought it was the map, not the app.

For journaling I like Find Penguins. At the end of each day I select a few photos, write a short piece, and post it. The app automatically does everything else, makes a "footprints" for each day using the geotagged photos, making a rough breadcrumb trail. Because it is not using gps it does not eat battery as happens with trail mapping.

My family love it, they can see roughly where I am and follow along. Those I have authorised can respond to my posts. At the end of the journey it makes a beautiful coffee table book - with no effort.

I have not tried Polar Steps but understand it is similar.

I have read through all the above, and other threads, and still need help.
I want to use Wikilocs for the sole purpose of making sure I am still on the trail - when I am doing infrequently walked trails like the Lana, where the markings may be covered with snow, or not evident, and there are no people to ask. I do not want to record my trail. I do not want to use it as an app that lets others know where I am. I don't care about linking photos to my walk. I just want wikilocs to be my useful resource if I am not sure I am still on the trail. I want the "blue dot" indicating me, to appear on my map, so I can see whether it is on the orange trail.
I know how to access trails on wikilocs and have saved my "favorites" that I need for my next camino.
At one point, many caminos and years ago, I did know how to connect my wikilocs app to my Kml/Kmz Gpx app. I just don't remember how I did it. I know it involved emailing each stage from something to something, or maybe it is called uploading something to something. How do I do this? I have an Iphone SE, and that hasn't changed. Please, can someone help me?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, @Sitkapilgrim,

Like you, I use wikiloc for making sure that I don’t get lost on remote routes. I have learned (I think) that there is no way for you to avoid recording yourself when you use wikiloc, but you can delete the trail when you finish it.

I did know how to connect my wikilocs app to my Kml/Kmz Gpx app. I just don't remember how I did it.

When you ask about connecting your wikiloc app to a Kml/Kmz Gpx app, are you asking about transferring tracks from wikiloc to another app, or the reverse?

I believe that you can only read wikiloc tracks on wikiloc. But I know that people with a much higher level of tech knowledge than I have figured out how to change a non-wikiloc track to a wikiloc track.

But if you are talkng about transferring from wikiloc tracks to another source, I have done this. I used to use a Garmin and learned how to take files from wikiloc, put them on my computer, and then transfer them to my Garmin GPS. Though it’s much more cumbersome than using wikiloc tracks directly, it did have the advantage that I could rename the tracks, cut and paste parts of them,etc., which are things you can’t do with the tracks if you use them on wikiloc.

I want to use Wikilocs for the sole purpose of making sure I am still on the trail
I do this with maps.me
I want the "blue dot" indicating me, to appear on my map, so I can see whether it is on the orange trail.
Yes, that's what I do. It involves these steps
  1. Download and install the free maps.me app
  2. Download the appropriate maps of Spain. (As I recall, from the map of the world shown, you go to a place in Spain and zoom in until the the Download button appears. Do this when you are connected to wifi. Download all the maps required for your route.
  3. Having downloading the KML files from elsewhere (e.g. wikilocs), attach them to an email and send it to yourself. Open that email on your phone, and watch for a question of which app to use. Select maps.me. This is the main step to cause any confusion, since different phones and storage places can be different. So I have had to do some trial and error here - eventually the track just appears magically on the map.:)
  4. When you update your apps or maps, you can do so normally. The tracks remain as before.
I enjoy looking at maps.me on my phone - I have a complex network of paths all over Spain, so I am ready to walk wherever I might be dropped in the country 😂.

I think I am asking how to put a gps system like Kml/Kmz nto wikilocs, though I am probably not using the correct words.
When I find and save a trail on wikilocs, it doesn't put automatically put me in as a "blue dot". I need the "blue dot" so that I know where I am relative to the wikilocs trail.
When you open up a specific wikilocs trail, it says you can "Navigate Trail" or "Send to your GPS". If I click on navigate trail, I don't get a "blue dot". If I click on "Send to your GPS" I don't know what to do next. The option of "Send Trail as File" sounds fine, but I don't have a apple watch, garmin, suunto, so I try to send it to my Kml/Kmz app, and it never gets there.
This may be an impossible problem to solve on this forum............. I probably need someone sitting next to me with even minimal technology smarts, and then it would take 2 minutes. Though I have tried a bunch of friends, including the friend who helped me figure this out 5 years ago, and we are all stumped.

I want to use Wikilocs for the sole purpose of making sure I am still on the
Go to your phone's file manager and search for a track you have recorded near your home or one that you have downloaded from Wikiloc or someplace else. This should be one ending in a suffix of gpx, kml, or kmz. Physically go to the start of the track, e.g., a trailhead. Open the file telling it to to use the Wikiloc app. On the app click the Navigate Trail icon and start walking the trail. At some point wander off the trail or at a junction go the wrong way. The app should notify you that you are off track with a message and an audible alarm. Oh, yeah, have the volume set high.

I believe this should work with any gpx, kml, or kmz file whether recorded by Wikiloc or anything else. The weather here is too nasty for me to test this for you right now though.

have learned (I think) that there is no way for you to avoid recording yourself when you use wikiloc, but you can delete the trail when you finish it.
I believe this is the case. It is good though that it is recording your walk too. You may purposely want to wander off track to visit a bar or something and you can easily see how to backtrack. When done navigating Finish recording and click the trash can delete button.

You won't see the "blue dot" on the displayed track unless you are near to the track.

Maps.me will show you your spot on a track but it will not give you a message that you are no longer on the track. You have to keep an eye on your phone. With Wikiloc you keep your ears open while enjoying the scenery.

Maps.me can only read kml and kmz files. OSMand, a similar app, can only read gpx files. There are free online tools available for conversions though.

Hi @Sitkapilgrim. I'm taking a guess here, but what I think you are saying is that you want to open a wikiloc tack and have your blue dot appear on it to show exactly where you currently are on the track. Wikiloc will work perfectly for this IF you are actually on the track. Are you physically on the track right now? If not, you can test it out on your phone by making a track where you are right now (ie, walk out the door, open Wikiloc, and tap 'record trail' at the bottom of screen. Go far enough to meet the minimum distance required to save a track (I think it's around 0.25 miles) and walk back home. Save your track and try following it. You will see your blue dot moving along it. The same will happen with other people's tracks when you get to the physical location where the track starts.

I know how to access trails on wikilocs and have saved my "favorites" that I need for my next camino.
At one point, many caminos and years ago, I did know how to connect my wikilocs app to my Kml/Kmz Gpx app. I just don't remember how I did it. I know it involved emailing each stage from something to something, or maybe it is called uploading something to something. How do I do this? I have an Iphone SE, and that hasn't changed. Please, can someone help me?
Sorry, I missed this part. Instead of using the file manager (which many people don't know how) the usual workaround is to send the track file as an attachment to an email. Then click the attachment and you should be asked for the app you want to open the attachment with, e.g., Wikiloc.

@Sitkapilgrim - one more thing. There is a difference in features between using the free app and paying for a premium account ($9.99). With the free app you can make and follow your own trails, and you can look at the tracks recorded by other people, but to follow the tracks recorded by other people you need to be a premium member. See this page for the free features and this page for the premium features.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
With the free app you can make and follow your own trails, and you can look at the tracks recorded by other people, but to follow the tracks recorded by other people you need to be a premium member.

There is an easy workaround for this that I just tested. I took a gpx track I recorded and was saved in the OSMand database (i.e., not a separate file maintained by the file manager) and I emailed it to myself. From email I opened it in Wikiloc and saved it to Wikiloc as a private file and then clicked Navigate Track.

N.B., I no longer have Premium membership in Wikiloc.

I want to do more tests when the weather clears though. There may be a simpler way or I might be able to come up with better instructions.

you might like the MapMyWalk app, I use the free version to track my walks, it provides a map of where I walked and all sorts of data that can be shared via text, or on social media. I also use my notepad on the phone, to keep track of my time and place and any thoughts, ie, time, stopped for lunch @. It is easy to copy and paste the note into an online journal at the end of the day with a screenshot from MapmyWalk.

Are you saying that the blue GPS locator dot will not appear on those other tracks? (i.e. is that what "following means" or does "following" mean the audio warnings will be provided?)
That is a good question! Unfortunately, I can't give a reliable answer because I already have a premium membership, and can't test out what it would be like without it. But maybe @Rick of Rick and Peg would test it out for us and let us know.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Having never used GPS for anything other than Google Maps in the city would appreciate a Camino GPS for Dummies high level understanding. Looking at Camino San Salvador/Primitivo combination Fall 2022.

Simple requirement…offline view of where I am at on the Camino whenever the need arises ie save me from veering towards Madrid or Rome…

Apps such as Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim both have these routes, allow map downloading and offline viewing…nothing required pre Camino other than downloading the maps. Not sure if alternative routes can be downloaded or not.

Tracks such as those in Enders document…same process except you require the Wikilocs app.

Am I even close or is it much more complicated than this…as I indicated crash course for GPS Dummies 😂.

Thanks

Guy

Having never used GPS for anything other than Google Maps in the city would appreciate a Camino GPS for Dummies high level understanding. Looking at Camino San Salvador/Primitivo combination Fall 2022.

Simple requirement…offline view of where I am at on the Camino whenever the need arises ie save me from veering towards Madrid or Rome…

Apps such as Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim both have these routes, allow map downloading and offline viewing…nothing required pre Camino other than downloading the maps. Not sure if alternative routes can be downloaded or not.
I used Wise Pilgrim for the Salvador in 2019. Buen Camino didn't yet have that route. I don't have any need to use another app that I have to import the route into, though the audible alert when you go off trail sounds kind of cool.

A map app that I really like is Windy Maps, which already has the tracks for most of the Camino routes built in, along with other hiking trails - no need to import KML, KMZ or GPX files.

You can see the dark blue line of the Camino del Salvador going through La Robla in this screen shot. And I didn't know that the Camino Olvidado intersected it! The hiking trails aren't apparent until you zoom into an area.

Screenshot_20220312-201910_Windy Maps.jpg

For Android

For iPhone

Ah... well, the FarOut will get you GPS location and your family can and friends can follow - but it is NOT for journaling!
I used FarOut too on my last Camino. I didn't use it much for general navigation because of the good signage, but it was invaluable in the early morning where signage is difficult to see. I got lost in the fields around Logrono because I wasn't paying attention, but I was easily able to follow another path on the map to get me back on track.

I found it to be unbelievably accurate and easy to use. always pointing exactly the same way my phone was pointing.

I also found the water information useful. There is a 'keep in touch' with other hikers function, but I think this is widely used on the US tripple-crown trails, but not the Camino.

I would be very interested to know how it compares to other Apps for booking accommodation and water resources.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A map app that I really like is Windy Maps, which already has the tracks for most of the Camino routes built in, along with other hiking trails - no need to import KML, KMZ or GPX files.
On the app's description page on the Google Play Store is the following message under the What's New section:

Dear users, the Windy Maps app has merged with the Mapy.cz app. From 31th May it will only be available under the name Mapy.cz.

I would be very interested to know how it compares to other Apps for booking accommodation and water resources.
Well, for booking accommodation, FarOut is useless lol... but I found it to be far superior when it comes to finding water sources! Most of the time I had plenty of water before I left the albergue for the day - but there were a few times that bars were not open and I really needed to find a water source and it was very accurate. For booking - I utilized gronze website the most because they were spot on when it came to knowing which albergues were closed due to COVID. And from there I got phone numbers or email or websites of the albergues to book them. I also used booking .com website

Well, for booking accommodation, FarOut is useless lol... but I found it to be far superior when it comes to finding water sources! Most of the time I had plenty of water before I left the albergue for the day - but there were a few times that bars were not open and I really needed to find a water source and it was very accurate. For booking - I utilized gronze website the most because they were spot on when it came to knowing which albergues were closed due to COVID. And from there I got phone numbers or email or websites of the albergues to book them. I also used booking .com website
Thanks for the booking info. I will bear this in mind

€46,-
On the app's description page on the Google Play Store is the following message under the What's New section:

Dear users, the Windy Maps app has merged with the Mapy.cz app. From 31th May it will only be available under the name Mapy.cz.
Good to know!
I downloaded mapy.cz at a member's suggestion a while ago and discovered that it was identical to and from the same developer as Windy Maps.

Are you saying that the blue GPS locator dot will not appear on those other tracks? (i.e. is that what "following means" or does "following" mean the audio warnings will be provided?)
A little more info ... I looked back in my notes and found this clarification. With a Wikiloc premium account you can follow the track offline through the app on your phone, but with a free account, you need cell or wifi to follow a track, and you do it through the website, not the app. I'm not sure how I verified this, though, so if anyone else knows more definitively, let us know.

With a free Wikiloc account, you can:
  • Search for trails.
  • Download tracks via a web browser (not the app) to your computer or phone
    and move them to another app to open them.
  • Follow a saved track, but only online through a browser or another app (not
    the Wikiloc app).
  • Record your own trails.
  • Follow your own trails for free.
  • Follow all Wikiloc ORG account trails (but not any of the millions of user-uploaded
    wikiloc trails)
  • Download Offline Maps

• With a Premium account, you can also:
    • Save tracks within the wikiloc app in one step.
  • Follow a saved track offline through the app.
  • Search by Passing Area (Find trails starting or passing through your selected
    areas.)
  • Download trails from the web using QR codes
  • Use Advanced Filters
  • Do Specific-member Trail Searches
Also, for anyone who wants to use Wikiloc only for a short period of time, there is a quarterly subscription available for $4.99 (vs $9.99 annual).

Last edited:
I'm going to have to postpone my Wikiloc tests.

I think my version of the Wikiloc app is older and may allow me to do things that a newer version will not (unless I'm a premium member). Before I upgrade the app (but not my member level yet) I want to backup the app's local data and get an idea of what features the old version has now and without premium membership.

I have walked at different times of year. Through blizzards in the Pyrenees and through exceptional heatwaves. I am not a young man and on my first Camino in 2013, I had never walked more than the length of myself since I was a teenager. Never found anywhere on the Frances that was poorly marked and never lost my way. Even as early as mid march there were always other pilgrims on the way. I even met two blind men between Hornillos and Castrojeriz. Never needed anything other than the yellow arrows. The Frances is a well trodden route where you are seldom more than a few kilometres from a town or village. Even my Brierley guide very quickly was consigned to my backpack as totally unnecessary. So I reiterate, you need nothing other than the yellow arrows on the Frances. If an old inexperienced guy like me can do it, I reckon anyone can.

I have walked at different times of year. Through blizzards in the Pyrenees and through exceptional heatwaves. I am not a young man and on my first Camino in 2013, I had never walked more than the length of myself since I was a teenager. Never found anywhere on the Frances that was poorly marked and never lost my way. Even as early as mid march there were always other pilgrims on the way. I even met two blind men between Hornillos and Castrojeriz. Never needed anything other than the yellow arrows. The Frances is a well trodden route where you are seldom more than a few kilometres from a town or village. Even my Brierley guide very quickly was consigned to my backpack as totally unnecessary. So I reiterate, you need nothing other than the yellow arrows on the Frances. If an old inexperienced guy like me can do it, I reckon anyone can.
Well, you were lucky indeed. I stand by my statement that there are some parts of the trail that are not as well marked as you claim. I am not the first pilgrim to have gotten lost a couple times here and there, and I won't be the last. I have walked with several people who also had trouble finding arrows in some locations and also got "lost" to some degree along the way. And none were "incompetent" by any means. So, again, while your statement is "MOSTLY" true... it IS possible to lose your way in different segments of the Camino Frances, because SOME of the trail is NOT as well marked as you say. And no... I am not referring to instances where the trail was lost due to a distracted pilgrim, which is quite easy to do. I am referring to areas where we were actively searching for arrows that we couldn't locate. So once again I say, while most of the time you are fine without a map or gps, they sure come in very handy when you realize you have lost the trail and don't find your way back to an arrow. And you never walked alone (because there were always other pilgrims on the way) - but I walked alone for many hours at a time, on many of my walking days, with no other Pilgrims in sight (which was quite lovely except when I couldn't find arrows). Just because you never got lost and you always had other Pilgrims come along - doesn't mean that is everyone's experience.

Well, you were lucky indeed. I stand by my statement that there are some parts of the trail that are not as well marked as you claim. I am not the first pilgrim to have gotten lost a couple times here and there, and I won't be the last. I have walked with several people who also had trouble finding arrows in some locations and also got "lost" to some degree along the way. And none were "incompetent" by any means. So, again, while your statement is "MOSTLY" true... it IS possible to lose your way in different segments of the Camino Frances, because SOME of the trail is NOT as well marked as you say. And no... I am not referring to instances where the trail was lost due to a distracted pilgrim, which is quite easy to do. I am referring to areas where we were actively searching for arrows that we couldn't locate. So once again I say, while most of the time you are fine without a map or gps, they sure come in very handy when you realize you have lost the trail and don't find your way back to an arrow. And you never walked alone (because there were always other pilgrims on the way) - but I walked alone for many hours at a time, on many of my walking days, with no other Pilgrims in sight (which was quite lovely except when I couldn't find arrows). Just because you never got lost and you always had other Pilgrims come along - doesn't mean that is everyone's experience.

I agree. I still get lost sometimes. Less and less. I even get lost on caminos I walked before. Everything looks different at different times of year. Occasionally signs get's removed and until a new one gets up you might miss a sign.

Also, I reccommend using dedicated camino apps as they have distances as well as maps, and a lot of other usefull information you might need and not being in the maps apps.

The dedicated maps apps can serve as a backup for the camino apps, especially on the more remote trail without cellphone coverage. And you can download routes and add them. But you don't really know how valid those are. Most of the camino routes you can download are cycling routes. And not being maintained.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What part of the Frances is as you say badly waymarked. I would be curious to know. The only place there is a problem that I know off is outside virgen del camino where there are two routes and rivals keep painting over the arrows pointing to the other Camino. A little exploring in the afternoon usually sorts the problem out for the next morning. As I said, I never got lost and I am not the brightest when reading maps. I get lost trying to navigate Google maps

What part of the Frances is as you say badly waymarked. I would be curious to know. The only place there is a problem that I know off is outside virgen del camino where there are two routes and rivals keep painting over the arrows pointing to the other Camino. A little exploring in the afternoon usually sorts the problem out for the next morning. As I said, I never got lost and I am not the brightest when reading maps. I get lost trying to navigate Google maps
I think in Galicia alone they put up 40 new signs every year that gets destroyed.

The first time I walked I managed to go the wrong way not far out of Grañon, and had to be re-directed by a kindly farmer. There is a turn that is a bit confusing, and the sign pointing to the path was not obvious.

But that was over 20 years ago.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh brother... you seriously need to me document everywhere I had trouble finding arrows or shells? Really? Geez. Glad you never got lost. MOST of the Camino is well marked. I have acknowledged that repeatedly. SOME AREAS ARE NOT. It's nice to have a backup GPS for those few instances where you have trouble and backtracking isn't helping and there don't happen to be other pilgrims or locals around. This isn't a complicated concept. If you don't feel the need to have GPS, then by all means skip it (and feel free to delete that google maps app from your phone if it makes you happy). And by the way, why would you need to do little exploring in the afternoon to sort out "problems" for the next morning - if you NEVER had an issue? Because if everything was as well marked as you say - you would immediately find the path out of the town without scouting out arrows and shells the night before - so thank you for making my point.

I am quite good at reading maps. I am quite good reading map apps. I am quite good at following arrows and shells. I have travelled independently across the US and across Europe and navigate roads and paths quite well and train and bus routes. And I managed to find my way all the way from SJPDP to Santiago and Muxia and Finisterre with minimal help. And most of the time I walked ALONE, with no one to help look for arrows and shells (the solitude I found on a COVID Camino was amazing). But the few times I couldn't find those arrow and shells and I needed GPS because I knew I had lost the path - I was glad I had it. By the way - I also loved having GPS to tell me exactly how far I had to the next few towns, so I can decide how much further I was capable of walking before stopping at an albergue. And the day that I ran out of water and couldn't find an open bar or grocery store or water fountain - my app showed me where to find water, which I was grateful for since I dehydrate easily. GPS can be quite useful. You are quite welcome to go without a GPS or a map, but some of us like having them as a backup. And heck, why not? a GPS app takes up no extra space and adds no extra weight to my backpack, so again, why not have it if we want it?! Good day sir!

Oh brother... you seriously need to me document everywhere I had trouble finding arrows or shells? Really? Geez. Glad you never got lost. MOST of the Camino is well marked. I have acknowledged that repeatedly. SOME AREAS ARE NOT. It's nice to have a backup GPS for those few instances where you have trouble and backtracking isn't helping and there don't happen to be other pilgrims or locals around. This isn't a complicated concept. If you don't feel the need to have GPS, then by all means skip it (and feel free to delete that google maps app from your phone if it makes you happy). And by the way, why would you need to do little exploring in the afternoon to sort out "problems" for the next morning - if you NEVER had an issue? Because if everything was as well marked as you say - you would immediately find the path out of the town without scouting out arrows and shells the night before - so thank you for making my point.

I am quite good at reading maps. I am quite good reading map apps. I am quite good at following arrows and shells. I have travelled independently across the US and across Europe and navigate roads and paths quite well and train and bus routes. And I managed to find my way all the way from SJPDP to Santiago and Muxia and Finisterre with minimal help. And most of the time I walked ALONE, with no one to help look for arrows and shells (the solitude I found on a COVID Camino was amazing). But the few times I couldn't find those arrow and shells and I needed GPS because I knew I had lost the path - I was glad I had it. By the way - I also loved having GPS to tell me exactly how far I had to the next few towns, so I can decide how much further I was capable of walking before stopping at an albergue. And the day that I ran out of water and couldn't find an open bar or grocery store or water fountain - my app showed me where to find water, which I was grateful for since I dehydrate easily. GPS can be quite useful. You are quite welcome to go without a GPS or a map, but some of us like having them as a backup. And heck, why not? a GPS app takes up no extra space and adds no extra weight to my backpack, so again, why not have it if we want it?! Good day sir!

I agree. Telling people not to bring one is bad advice. Bring it, and don't use it if you don't need to. But just bring it.

I'm also thinking about the time I got lost when someone mischievous had painted misleading arrows in Carrion de Los Condes.

More seriously, it is thought that Denise Thiem might have been lured by her murderer with a yellow arrow or arrows pointing to his farm.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree. Telling people not to bring one is bad advice. Bring it, and don't use it if you don't need to. But just bring it.
Thank you. It's funny that I am having to defend the fact that I have gotten lost, as others have on the Camino. As if I am the first and last person to ever get turned around.

When I did see other pilgrims and I was getting GPS out because I was lost - it was the same spots they were getting out their own GPS units. I also recall one place that I knew I took a wrong turn and backtracked to find arrows and I saw others doing the same. I walked further ahead and several of us rested and we could see that same spot behind us and watched half a dozen other people make the same mistake and had to backtrack (we were too far for them to hear us yell that they were going the wrong way).

And the time I got most lost and was COMPLETELY alone - was sometime after Ventosa I think - I had only seen one pilgrim who had taxied to Ventosa - but no one else all morning. And she was arriving for a meal as I was departing. Following arrows, I was being guided along some unnamed roads through vineyards - and eventually the arrows disappeared - but backtracking wasn't helpful because all the roads/vineyards surrounding me looked the same. I got my GPS out and it took me quite a while to get back to the path.

Thank you. It's funny that I am having to defend the fact that I have gotten lost, as others have on the Camino. As if I am the first and last person to ever get turned around.

When I did see other pilgrims and I was getting GPS out because I was lost - it was the same spots they were getting out their own GPS units. I also recall one place that I knew I took a wrong turn and backtracked to find arrows and I saw others doing the same. I walked further ahead and several of us rested and we could see that same spot behind us and watched half a dozen other people make the same mistake and had to backtrack (we were too far for them to hear us yell that they were going the wrong way).

And the time I got most lost and was COMPLETELY alone - was sometime after Ventosa I think - I had only seen one pilgrim who had taxied to Ventosa - but no one else all morning. And she was arriving for a meal as I was departing. Following arrows, I was being guided along some unnamed roads through vineyards - and eventually the arrows disappeared - but backtracking wasn't helpful because all the roads/vineyards surrounding me looked the same. I got my GPS out and it took me quite a while to get back to the path.

Well I walked for more than 5 years straight - 30/40 caminos. And I get lost as well. Especially I remember celebrating walking for 1 year and on the way to Finesterra I got lost and tried navigating back to the path with Google Maps (not recommended). It was an extra 10 kilometers. I got lost on Via de la Plata as well and ended up walking over 50 kilometers that day.

Having an app with a map is just super convenient. And during the last couple of years while my app has been out I met a lot of pilgrims who said the app literally saved their life getting back on track.

It is possible to walk without apps and maps. But more than 90% does. And telling people in general terms you do not need it is bad advice, I think. Most people actually find it super useful. And please mind the arrows have only been there for 30 years - it is not from the medieval ages. The same with the paper lists from SJPdP (witch I love). Another good thing about the apps are they are updated and they complements the guidebooks really well.

Will answer one thing. I explore in the afternoon because it is dark in the morning. I prefer to walk in the shoulder months. If you need GPS, so be it. This pilgrim never found the need nor did the millions before it became fashionable. As for Google maps, never had a smart phone with me on my first Camino, just a simple little call and receive phone. I stand by my assertion that GPS is unnecessary on the Frances. I met people who walked with nothing more than leaflets given them at St Jean. I know people who braver than I, walked the Dragonte variant without GPS and that is one extremely badly marked route. The only people I noticed getting lost were two friends so deep in conversation they missed a very prominently marked turn at Sansol. They didn't even hear me shout after them so I had to throw a stone to get their attention. But that's different from being badly way marked. So let's just call it a difference of opinion. Will however have to go back and see if I can find these badly marked areas and leave my thoughts of a different route till another year

€46,-
I used Wise Pilgrim for the Salvador in 2019. Buen Camino didn't yet have that route. I don't have any need to use another app that I have to import the route into, though the audible alert when you go off trail sounds kind of cool.

You can see the dark blue line of the Camino del Salvador going through La Robla in this screen shot. And I didn't know that the Camino Olvidado intersected it! The hiking trails aren't apparent until you zoom into an area.

View attachment 120363

For Android

For iPhone
I use the windy weather app and trust the data, i may have found another use for Windy!
Thanks!

For journaling I like Find Penguins.
My family love it, they can see roughly where I am and follow along.
I will tell my family myself 😉 when I take a bus instead of walk, when I sleep in all day, when I am wandering around from pub to pub at midnight. No need for them to follow me on an app!

I will tell my family myself 😉 when I take a bus instead of walk, when I sleep in all day, when I am wandering around from pub to pub at midnight. No need for them to follow me on an app!
Puttster, it only logs a location when you post a photo, or write a post.

€60,-

I think the easiest way to get lost is when you are too involved in a conversation with your walking friends or yourself! It is quite easy to become distracted and miss a sign or arrow. This is true on any marked path and I have often be alerted by my wikiloc app that I have strayed off of a path while studying the landscape or flora/fauna.

€60,-
When I walked my first camino in 2013, there were no apps and gps devices were as rare as hens teeth. I had no experience of hiking and my only walking was around the local supermarket.
Just to put this a little bit in perspective.

If you had no experience of hiking then I understand your unfamiliarity with map reading and the lack of any love for maps.

If you are not familiar with smartphones that make use of the inbuilt GPS features then I understand why you wrongly believe that "gps devices" were as rare as hens teeth in 2013. They weren't.

And if you make no use of such apps then you cannot make a recommendation to the OP about any such app and its usefulness for the purpose the OP wants to use it.

Do pilgrims absolutely need a GPS based app on the CF? No. Some take obviously great pleasure in following only yellow arrows and nothing else. BTW, locals are not posted every 100 m on the CF so you might find yourself without their advice. In fact, if my memory does no fail me, they usually try to point you to the Camino when you don't want to walk where they think you want to walk while you know exactly where you are because it's where you want to walk.

Should no pilgrim use a GPS based app on the CF? Heck, why on earth not? Does it bother you?

To get back to the topic of how to choose from among all the many GPS apps that are out there…..

For those who do like to have the GPS as security, but who don’t want to have their noses in it all day, you should try wikiloc. I go to their huge file of tracks (it is the site most used by Spaniards to download their tracks) and pick one that covers the next day’s walk. I download it on my phone so that I can use it offline. In the morning, I start the track, put away the phone, and if I go off track I will get a beep. That’s the only time I need to pull out the phone and figure out where I’m going wrong.

Post #1:
I am looking for the best app for iphone that would show where I am and the Camino path should I get off course.
Post #9:
Thank you for this but what I am wanting is a journelling app for my friend and family to follow.
If I may say so, it helps to be quite specific in the thread title and in the first post of a thread in order to get relevant answers. Posters often see only the title or the first post and react only to this.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think the easiest way to get lost is when you are too involved in a conversation with your walking friends or yourself! It is quite easy to become distracted and miss a sign or arrow. This is true on any marked path and I have often be alerted by my wikiloc app that I have strayed off of a path while studying the landscape or flora/fauna.
This is true. However, I am referring to instances where I was totally focused and actively looking for shells and arrows and couldn't find them. I might check out the wikiloc app... but I tend only to pull out my GPS when I am already confused or lost - so not like I spend a lot of time on it! I prefer to just follow the arrows and shells whenever I can!

Just to put this a little bit in perspective.

If you had no experience of hiking then I understand your unfamiliarity with map reading and the lack of any love for maps.

If you are not familiar with smartphones that make use of the inbuilt GPS features then I understand why you wrongly believe that "gps devices" were as rare as hens teeth in 2013. They weren't.

And if you make no use of such apps then you cannot make a recommendation to the OP about any such app and its usefulness for the purpose the OP wants to use it.

Do pilgrims absolutely need a GPS based app on the CF? No. Some take obviously great pleasure in following only yellow arrows and nothing else. BTW, locals are not posted every 100 m on the CF so you might find yourself without their advice. In fact, if my memory does no fail me, they usually try to point you to the Camino when you don't want to walk where they think you want to walk while you know exactly where you are because it's where you want to walk.

Should no pilgrim use a GPS based app on the CF? Heck, why on earth not? Does it bother you?
Very familiar with smart phones, GPS and I love maps and map reading, have done since I was a child. I was until retirement, an IT specialist so none of this is beyond me. In 2013, smartish phones were about but we're not very affordable. I offered an opinion that on the Frances, it is very difficult to get lost and that was all. Just an opinion and I stand by it. In fact, over the last few nights I have gone over the whole trail in my mind and still can't recall anywhere so badly marked that it's easy to get lost. Other routes are more let's say obscure and a bit more than a guide book is needed. I asked for an example of a part so badly marked and of course I got a kind of politician reply but no example. I think this conversation is as far as I am concerned, closed as it does appear to be getting out of hand

I have the Wise app. It shows the Camino, the towns and streets and pensions and also you, as a moving blue dot. It works when you are in internet range and I believe it works when you're not, also.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think the easiest way to get lost is when you are too involved in a conversation with your walking friends or yourself!
That's the only circumstance in which I have been "lost" on the Camino, except one time on the Camino del Salvador, and I didn't realize that I was supposed to open the farmer's gate and go through it until a local final appeared and showed me the way.

The Wise Pilgrim series of apps does this, and it works offline too. There are a quite a few mapping apps which get the job done, as mentioned above, but it's nice to have camino specific information embedded into the app as well... for example to know not just your location along the camino but your lodging as well.
Does Wise Pilgrim cover the Girona-Olot-Vic area of Catalunya?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.