• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

App Miam miam dodo not available ( for the moment anyhow)

Antonius Vaessen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2016 VdlPlata - Sanabres
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
I purchased the Miam Miam Dodo app about one and a half near ago, I wanted to walk the Via Podiensis in may 2020. Due to obvious reasons I had to postpone. Now I want to start end of August. When I wanted to to search information in the app I found out that I could not get access anymore. The app is based on a license that lasts a year. (You can save the information by downloading it, this information will not be updated though. I neglected to do this) When I tried to renew/buy my license this was not possible (message was" the OS of my phone could not be detected" ( in french) I contacted "le vieux crayon", the publisher. They wrote me that the application at the moment is not available, and won't be for the next few months ( because of financial, problems due to the Covidproblems)
That is a pity for me and probably other walkers who want to walk this route. Advantages of the app are less weight in your backpack, access to actual information and it is a ailable in english.
I asked the publisher if more can be said about how long it will take till the app will be ready for use again. Probably I will have to go for the paper guide and refer to sides like Gronze a.o. for actual informations about places to stay and so on.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If the app still isn't available by mid-July, I would write the bureau of tourism in Le Puy. They used to publish a list of some of the accommodations along the initial stages of the route. Hopefully any list you receive from them would have been updated. From memory, I recall that there are more tourist offices in Conques, Figeac, and Cahors; there may be more in other towns and these are identified in the hard copy of Miam Miam Dodo if you happen to have one.

But be sure to make your inquiry to the Le Puy office by mid-July...they may be closed or short-handed during August.

Good luck. Bon chemin.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One issue the publishers may be encountering is the necessary timeline for individual lodgings to decide how/when to re-open. Given the thousand(?) individual proprietors, and the on-again-off-again rolling shutdowns France has experienced, I imagine that's quite a headache.

My experience walking the route over several years, was that there was very little change (5%) from one year to the next. One could do worse than getting the most recent hard copy, and sending off emails to individual lodgings. That's probably going to be necessary even once the app is running again. (Ditto for the website info cited above -- I would confirm individually rather than just assuming they will be open.)

Thanks for the reactions. I am aware of the existence of the "cheminsdecompostelle" website and will make good use of it. I just got an email from the publisher that the app will not be available this year. So I probably will get me the paper Miam Miam Dodo, there is an updated 2021 version. Can anybody tell me how handy it is to take it along while on camino (weight, size, usability of the maps and so on)

Thanks for the reactions. I am aware of the existence of the "cheminsdecompostelle" website and will make good use of it. I just got an email from the publisher that the app will not be available this year. So I probably will get me the paper Miam Miam Dodo, there is an updated 2021 version. Can anybody tell me how handy it is to take it along while on camino (weight, size, usability of the maps and so on)
I had both the paper and app version when we walked it in the fall of 2019. I actually found the paper version more useful. The information is more complete, and it's very easy to use even if you don't speak French. It's virtually all in symbols, with a key to understand them, and insofar as it uses a French word or two, you can look them up easily with google translate. (And it's the same words all the time, so you quickly learn the little vocabulary you need to know). The two volumes are each pretty slim -- around 12 ounces total for the two of them (approx. .35 kg). Size is 13.5 X 21 cm / 8.25 X 5.5 inches. If you're like me, you can lighten your load by throwing out the paper as you go (which is why I can't give you an exact weight). Very good and accurate maps. More accurate than the other guidebooks I looked at, such as Alison Raju's, which is way out of date. Also, a terrific planning tool in the beginning, which breaks your walk down into whatever length stages you're comfortable with. The app had a good GPS track, but the paper maps in the book, supplemented by maps.me or Windy Maps to show you alternatives, are more than ample.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

You might also find useful the logistical guide I put together and posted in the resources section. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...or-oughta-wanna-know-before-starting-out.732/

I am planning on walking the first bit of the Via Podiensis in September and have grappled with the same problems/concerns. I have ordered the 2021 MMD book and am using it to learn Pilgrim French - I also downloaded a GPX file (predated Covid) that I found via Ivar's forum for my offline mapping insurance. Will be emailing in advance as a routine. Stay safe !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am planning on walking the first bit of the Via Podiensis in September and have grappled with the same problems/concerns. I have ordered the 2021 MMD book and am using it to learn Pilgrim French - I also downloaded a GPX file (predated Covid) that I found via Ivar's forum for my offline mapping insurance. Will be emailing in advance as a routine. Stay safe !
Just to let you know, if you're talking about the Dutch co-fraternity file (posted by Thomas1962 and dated March, 2018) it's slightly out-of-date, as the trail has changed in several places. That said, it's a terrific resource, but in moments of doubt, trust the map in MMD. No worries, though. It's very hard to get lost because the Podiensis is marked very well, and even if you follow the Dutch file slavishly, it will take you to the same place.

Just to let you know, if you're talking about the Dutch co-fraternity file (posted by Thomas1962 and dated March, 2018) it's slightly out-of-date, as the trail has changed in several places. That said, it's a terrific resource, but in moments of doubt, trust the map in MMD. No worries, though. It's very hard to get lost because the Podiensis is marked very well, and even if you follow the Dutch file slavishly, it will take you to the same place.
I am expecting it to be a bit out of date - but I feel a little better with an offline mapping tool for reference. Appreciate the thoughtful advice. So what is the Podiensis equivalent of Buen Camino? Whatever it is - that is what I wish you and all those you care for.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I purchased the Miam Miam Dodo app about one and a half near ago, I wanted to walk the Via Podiensis in may 2020. Due to obvious reasons I had to postpone. Now I want to start end of August. When I wanted to to search information in the app I found out that I could not get access anymore. The app is based on a license that lasts a year. (You can save the information by downloading it, this information will not be updated though. I neglected to do this) When I tried to renew/buy my license this was not possible (message was" the OS of my phone could not be detected" ( in french) I contacted "le vieux crayon", the publisher. They wrote me that the application at the moment is not available, and won't be for the next few months ( because of financial, problems due to the Covidproblems)
That is a pity for me and probably other walkers who want to walk this route. Advantages of the app are less weight in your backpack, access to actual information and it is a ailable in english.
I asked the publisher if more can be said about how long it will take till the app will be ready for use again. Probably I will have to go for the paper guide and refer to sides like Gronze a.o. for actual informations about places to stay and so on.

I have on reliable authority [from the publisher of MMD] that the Miam-Miam-Dodo app will not be published this year ... and it has been removed from the app store ...

they made a carefully-judged decision as a result of last year’s difficulties to publish only the paper versions of the guidebooks ... and that itself was a close call ...

I still have the app on my phone and the maps appear to work just fine so, if you are happy to use gronze or the newbie «Santiagooo» website for accommodation information you should be good-to-go ...

If this year is a better year for the MMD folk, I imagine they will re-launch the app next year with all the information that we’ve come to love and expect ... these have been very challenging times for these organisations ...

On my app the maps don't seem to work anymore ( only the first stages after le Puy are visible)
What do you mean by the" newbie Santiagooo" website?I cannot find anything that resembles this. I probably won't need it, knowing the websites of Gronze and Cheminsdecompostelle, it would be nice to look at new information.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for this information. The site looks good but in comparison to can see that it is still in progress. On first sight a disadvantage, compared to Gronze for instance, is that the total numbers of beds is given, but not how they are divided. Anyway in planning I probably can make good use of it.

FWIW, I am working on an app for the route. It is part of a series that I am developing for community written guides.

If there is anyone planning to walk this route in the coming months, that would like to have the very basics (gps track, offline maps, distances, accommodation options) feel free to get in touch.

Or for that matter if you have something to share for other pilgrims, I am happy to include it. I explain the idea here.

We have plane tickets from the USA to to Paris on Sept 26. We plan on walking from Le Puy to Conques - and would love some English app resources, IOS preferred but not necessary and would be willing to contribute. We have agreed to wait until St. James Day before doing any further concrete planning - I am currently at about 87% that our Camino will be a go but lots of things can happen between now and then. Thank you for what you are doing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In a burst of optimism I booked my flight to Lyon for Aug 26 with the intent to walk from Le Puy to Pamplona and ordered the pair of Miam Miam Dodo books from the publisher. Thanks to those who have responded to this thread already, especially with suggestions for other resources. I’m feeling optimistic too but as Shston Girlfd said, anything could happen. Fingers crossed!

I ordered mine from the publisher and received them a couple of weeks ago. There are two volumes to cover the entire route, each weighing about 215 g, ~21x14x.8 cm. My initial impression is that they will be extremely useful with very detailed maps. They are in French but the symbology is easily understandable.

I understand that it has been suspended, at least for the time being, because of problems with making it available for so many platforms (multiple operating systems of smartphones and other tablets). An e-book version will be available for download in early July from the Vieux Crayon site.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I understand that it has been suspended, at least for the time being, because of problems with making it available for so many platforms (multiple operating systems of smartphones and other tablets). An e-book version will be available for download in early July from the Vieux Crayon site.
Jacques Clouteau confirmed on FB that work had been stopped on the app:
l'application a effectivement été arrêtée.
And he confirmed the same reasons mentioned by @jouffroy47 .

Does anyone know if there's only the version with two seperate books now (Le Puy - Cahors and Cahors - St. Jean)? When I last walked, it was all in a single book, but I can only find this two part version for 2021...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh no! I walked the Camino in 2019 and used the Miam Miam Dodo app everyday. I just tried to get on the app and received the same message 'that the OS could not be detected'. I also should have saved the info. I did so on my old phone but not on my new one. So disappointed. I hope it returns.

Oh no! The same thing just happened to me. I walked the Camino (The Le Puy Route) in 2019 and used the Miam Miam Dodo app everyday and over the past 2 years I have been referring back to it for my blog. It helped to jog so many memories of the walk. I also received the message 'the OS could not be detected'. I had downloaded the app onto my old phone but hadn't bothered to with my new phone. So disappointed. I hope they can renew it.

Oh no! The same thing just happened to me. I walked the Camino (The Le Puy Route) in 2019 and used the Miam Miam Dodo app everyday and over the past 2 years I have been referring back to it for my blog. It helped to jog so many memories of the walk. I also received the message 'the OS could not be detected'. I had downloaded the app onto my old phone but hadn't bothered to with my new phone. So disappointed. I hope they can renew it.
sorry Crystal to be the bearer of not-so-good news but the MMD app is not returning any time soon ... too many issues getting it to work on multiple platforms and with multiple operating systems ... the publishers are progressively releasing e-guidebooks and the GR65 Via Podiensis guides plus the guide for the GR651 Voie du Célé and Voie de Rocamadour are just around the corner ... worth waiting for methinks although, for me, not quite as good as the app ...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.