• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Apparitions and other mysteries on your Camino

MickMac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
Just wondering did any one else have strange occurrences on the camino. I have posted a strange photo reflection I took in Burgos.

On my first camino 2013 a Canadian lady I was walking with told me on the day before , just after leaving mass on the camino, a white dove landed on her soulder then flew along beside her for a few metres ( she was quite a normal person) spooky or what?

Attachments

• IMG_20180813_194404_BURST001_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20180813_194404_BURST001_COVER.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 473
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just wondering did any one else have strange occurrences on the camino. I have posted a strange photo reflection I took in Burgos.
But is it a strange reflection or a photo of one of the numerous statues that are lined up along the walk in the cloister museum, taken from the outside through the window? This is what it looks like in Google Earth when you walk past the external wall of the cloister:

Burgos cloister.jpeg

Last edited:
But is it a strange reflection or a photo of one of the numerous statues that are lined up along the walk in the cloister museum, taken from the outside through the window? This is what it looks like in Google Earth when you walk past the external wall of the cloister:

View attachment 45401

Inspector Poirot strikes again

Inspector Poirot strikes again
LOL. Just a still reasonably good memory. I've wondered sometimes why all these statues are lined up in cloisters in places where they seem to be a bit out of place. I have no explanation. Are they "surplus" or they waiting for repair, perhaps?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My Father in law passed away from Cancer and the moment he died a Rainbow crossed the sky. We walked a lot of the Camino thinking of him, as he looked like Hemingway (Pamplona) We were in Torres del Rio after just talking about the old days and a double rainbow appeared in the sky. Beautiful and affirming.

Certainly not an apparition, but a very strange occurrence. Myself and two walking partners tried several shots to capture the rosette window in the monastery church at Samos and all showed blank white spaces on our pictures instead. I had captured dozens of windows without issue. We all commented on how odd it was that it simply did not photograph. After going through my photos upon returning to the alburgue, I had this gorgeous photo that none of the others had, nor could they explain. Can't understand how, but thrilled to have it. Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 12.33.08 PM.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My sister and I had a Ramón moment in Rabanal.

It was November and quite late.

The door to the municipal albergue was open so we went inside.

Nobody there.

The ceiling was very low and it was very dark inside.

We called “Hola!”

No response.

Then a bed creaked above us.

And we heard somebody giggling.

More creaking and laughter.

We looked at each other and both said “it’s Ramón”!

We legged it out of there so fast and didn’t stop until we got to Foncebadón.

Jill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had an experience in the Navia albergue last year. It was very late at night; I remember I was sleeping and woke up because I felt my face was being caressed. It was a very lovely touch; I opened my eyes and saw no one. I changed position and continue sleeping, later I felt my liner was being pulled from the bottom of my feet, I opened my eyes suddenly :oops:, and again no one was there. No chance another pilgrim did it ;)

My mother-in-law was born in Fresno, CA and died 2 months before my Camino Portuguese. Before she passed I told her I'd see her again on the Camino. On my Camino I wore a carved frog pendant with the Chinese characters "Fu" for good luck that had belonged to her. Knowing her sense of humor and personality I knew if I did see "her" it would be unique. I was in Padron and came across a shop selling "Fresno" branded leather wallets and bags. Never seen that brand before or since.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My sister and I had a Ramón moment in Rabanal.

It was November and quite late.

The door to the municipal albergue was open so we went inside.

Nobody there.

The ceiling was very low and it was very dark inside.

We called “Hola!”

No response.

Then a bed creaked above us.

And we heard somebody giggling.

More creaking and laughter.

We looked at each other and both said “it’s Ramón”!

We legged it out of there so fast and didn’t stop until we got to Foncebadón.

Jill
‘Should have walked up the road to Gaucelmo Jill! Best albergue on the Frances!
Cheers!

I have to say that I had quite a few 'moments' on my first Camino in 2015.

Here is one. I'll add links to a couple more.

It was about 2 hours out of Leon……. (the short version)

I’d hit a real low point. I really felt my Camino was coming to an end. That I needed to go home. That it was selfish to continue this journey. I was struggling, really struggling. (My wife was home alone dealing with her sick Father)

I just stopped at the side of the path.

I dropped to my knees. I grasped a rosary that a Catholic friend had loaned me, as I did each day when saying my thank you….

I looked up and asked. “OK. How is this supposed to work? Do you give me a sign or something?
I’m really struggling with this decision. I feel like I should go home. But should I complete this journey? Over to You……….”

Not really feeling any better, I stood up and continued along the path…….

ONE.

After about 300 metres, I saw an old man with a dog walking towards me. He was stooped a little, probably about 70 years of age. He looked a bit like a Shepherd.

As we got closer, I glanced up. Looked at him and said Buenos Dias. As he replied he smiled and our eyes met.

A chill went down my spine and I stopped in my tracks, as he walked past. After a few moments I turned to look the way he had gone. He also turned and gave me a wave.

The hair stood up on the back of my neck. During that brief greeting and warm smile, the eyes looking back at me were unmistakable. They were the loving eyes of my late Father.

Wow. What just happened I thought….. That was as very clear encouragement, from above, from beyond? Who knows? But it was Dad behind that smile! 100%…..

TWO.

As I was reflecting on this potential ‘sign’ I started up a small hill. I paused for reflection and to take a drink. Not 300 metres beyond where I had seen the man.

My phone rang! Due to the problems at home I made sure I was easily contactable. Though no one normally called me. I usually checked in with them when I could.
So most days I spoke to my wife, by calling her, not her calling me.. (The issue at home was….. that her Father was very sick….)

It was my wife. Her voice was really upbeat and lifting. I asked her how her Dad was, and that I was thinking I should come home. No way she said! How can you help anyway? You’re not a Heart Surgeon! Finish the journey ‘for us’ she said…..

I so needed that call. That call. Right then………

Feeling much better, I now quickened my step towards Leon. Surely only another hour away.

THREE

With a bit more of a spring in my step, I started off along the gravel track….

Not two minutes later. I heard a familiar voice behind me. An Aussie Twang…..

“Hey Robo, how you’re going mate”!

It was Rob from Melbourne whom I hadn’t seen in well over a week. A chirpy character with whom I’d shared some long and deep conversations whilst walking and over a glass or two of Vino Tinto…..

He clapped me on the back as he came level and we shared our journeys of where we’d been and who we’d seen since we last met. His pace was faster than mine and it was a struggle to keep up…., with my achilles injuries. But I needed this connection.. ….. Right now I needed it.

So I quickened my pace for 15 minutes or so whilst we chatted and then bid him farewell, expecting to see him down the track at some stage. I did, about 2 weeks later……

I paused for a moment as he ‘took off’ down the track with effortless long strides……

What the heck had just happened!!!!!

In a time of need I had asked for guidance. And in the space of 5 minutes, I was given a sign. One…..Two…..Three!

Amazing things can happen on the Camino………

P.S. My next Camino I’ll be walking for Dad. It was something my brother Dave told me that prompted the thought.

(My 2016 Compostella has my Dad’s name on it…)

A couple more moments (just go down the pages a bit, they are highlighted)
http://robscamino.com/2015/26th-of-may-cruz-de-ferro/
http://robscamino.com/2015/23rd-of-may-my-mojo-is-back/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Another wild photo...see it , or don't. I'm not one to read into things, but my walking partner flipped out when she saw this. It was taken on October 15th...and some swear they see St Teresa Avila, Spanish Nun, Mystic, Saint... I'll leave it to you...Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 8.12.56 AM.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ah don't get me started. My entire first Camino was a liminal experience. The most powerful ones resulted in poetry....oh but I don't write poetry...I want to revisit those places one day and step into my own footprints again. Did part of it last year from Moratinos to Leon and at times it was a timewarp.

I’d hit a real low point. I really felt my Camino was coming to an end. That I needed to go home. That it was selfish to continue this journey. I was struggling, really struggling. (My wife was home alone dealing with her sick Father)

I dropped to my knees. I grasped a rosary that a Catholic friend had loaned me, as I did each day when saying my thank you….

I looked up and asked. “OK. How is this supposed to work? Do you give me a sign or something?
I’m really struggling with this decision. I feel like I should go home. But should I complete this journey? Over to You……….”

ONE.

After about 300 metres, I saw an old man with a dog walking towards me. He was stooped a little, probably about 70 years of age. He looked a bit like a Shepherd.

As we got closer, I glanced up. Looked at him and said Buenos Dias. As he replied he smiled and our eyes met.

A chill went down my spine and I stopped in my tracks, as he walked past. After a few moments I turned to look the way he had gone. He also turned and gave me a wave.

The hair stood up on the back of my neck. During that brief greeting and warm smile, the eyes looking back at me were unmistakable. They were the loving eyes of my late Father.

Wow. What just happened I thought….. That was as very clear encouragement, from above, from beyond? Who knows? But it was Dad behind that smile! 100%…..

TWO.

As I was reflecting on this potential ‘sign’ I started up a small hill. I paused for reflection and to take a drink. Not 300 metres beyond where I had seen the man.

My phone rang! Due to the problems at home I made sure I was easily contactable. Though no one normally called me. I usually checked in with them when I could.
So most days I spoke to my wife, by calling her, not her calling me.. (The issue at home was….. that her Father was very sick….)

It was my wife. Her voice was really upbeat and lifting. I asked her how her Dad was, and that I was thinking I should come home. No way she said! How can you help anyway? You’re not a Heart Surgeon! Finish the journey ‘for us’ she said…..

Feeling much better, I now quickened my step towards Leon. Surely only another hour away.

THREE

It was Rob from Melbourne whom I hadn’t seen in well over a week. A chirpy character with whom I’d shared some long and deep conversations whilst walking and over a glass or two of Vino Tinto…..

He clapped me on the back as he came level and we shared our journeys of where we’d been and who we’d seen since we last met. His pace was faster than mine and it was a struggle to keep up…., with my achilles injuries. But I needed this connection.. ….. Right now I needed it.

So I quickened my pace for 15 minutes or so whilst we chatted and then bid him farewell, expecting to see him down the track at some stage. I did, about 2 weeks later……

I paused for a moment as he ‘took off’ down the track with effortless long strides……

In a time of need I had asked for guidance. And in the space of 5 minutes, I was given a sign. One…..Two…..Three!

P.S. My next Camino I’ll be walking for Dad. It was something my brother Dave told me that prompted the thought.

What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My Camino sister and I were heading over the pass to Roncesvalles in deep fog. We stopped to take a break and as we stood there we gazed out at a herd of cows in the distance. A few minutes passed in silence and then, one by one, the "cows" began galloping across the mountain top. They were horses! I turned to Cata and said, "I was SURE they were cows!" Her eyes got as big as saucers. She was sure of it, too. We proceeded along, wondering if the sheep would turn into pigs. I truly felt that we were being told that the adventure we were beginning was of a unique dimension.

As I walked from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles, it was cold and foggy, with intermitent drizzle; the path was quite muddy. Lonely, too. I was enjoying the walk (I like this kind of weather), but I also was considering life things -you know, the kind of things that did not go so well as you expected. Suddenly, the skies opened, there was a tenuous sun light through the tree leaves, birds started to chirp and the whole forest seemed to wake up. And after a turn of the path, I saw the Ibañeta chapel and knew I had practically arrived and finished something that for a long time I had dreamed about.
It lasted just some minutes. Yes, probably a peculiar climatic coincidence.:);)

Last edited:
I have a mysterious mystery to tell you about.
Before I do, I must warn all fellow Camino mystery seekers; you may not find this mysterious at all, however you may very well have experienced some or all this particular set of mysterious mysteries.............

Mystery 1. I fell asleep in an albergue one night. In the morning, my small piece of cheese and my banana had mysteriously disappeared from the communal fridge.

Mystery 2. One afternoon in another albergue, I found my phone charger had been mysteriously removed from the electrical socket and replaced by another person's charger and phone.

Mystery 3. I once walked for 5 straight days on one Camino where rather mysteriously I found the exact same Pilgrim Menu on offer in every eating place I visited.

Mystery 4. On my first Camino, after nearly 2 weeks of aches, pains and cursing my pack, I started walking one mysterious morning only to find my aches and pains gone and my pack felt like a lightweight old friend resting on my shoulders.

Buen (mystery-filled) Camino

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I liked the comment above about liminal. I can certainly identify with that. Without going into long details:
Just out of Villafranca Montes de Oca alone in the woods I had the strong sensation of people walking all around me. To the side of me, above me, below me. Amongst them was a young family dressed mostly in rags carrying two children. It felt good. As if all of us were part of a cosmic flow. Eternal Camino.
Climbing the hill outside of Atapuerca, no one else around, I made it to the top and stopped to take in the view. I didn’t like the place. Found it unfriendly even dangerous feeling. As I looked back down the hill a young man emerged from the trees. I watched him come towards me. When he got close I called out the usual “Buen Camino” Without any warning he began cursing me, yelling horrible obscenities. He walked past me at about 10 feet still shouting at me. Red face contorted in anger and disgust. I decided the only thing I could do was turn away from him, ignore him, that anything else would aggravate the situation. I listened as he went on. Then turned around and in that big clearing at the top of the mountain he was gone. No sign of him. No place to hide. Just gone. I had the feeling that I had met a demon.
Maybe not mystical, but a really strong experience was entering Galicia maybe just beyond Villafranca de Bierzo, after all the travail of the Meseta and so on. I felt like I had entered paradise. I was such a happy guy, strolling along. It really felt like a whole new life.

I had carried three stones from the beach at my home to the Cruz de Ferro , one stone for me , one for my daughter and one for my wife . Along with this a small canister of sand to represent the many transgressions of my life .
I had thought long and hard about my late father along the way and had lamented the fact that I hadn't carried a stone for him as well .
At the Cruz I said my prayers and took the stones from their pouch where they had lain untouched since days before leaving Australia let alone the weeks in Barcelona before commencing .
Out tumbled FOUR stones , one completely different from the coastal sandstone pebbles I had collected one windy and raining morning ; a small red stone , smooth and heavy , perhaps my father had managed to come along for the ride after all .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have had several but I won't bore you with them except one: My daughter died 15 years ago. Very often when I think of her I think of her being like a butterfly playing in the summer breeze. Or if I see a butterfly I invariably think of her.
Anyway last year one afternoon I was crossing the Meseta during the heat wave. I was absolutely alone out there. There was nothing moving around me. No other pilgrims, no animals, birds or insects. Nothing. Just the track and the fields. Then I began to think of her and "puff" I was surrounded by a cloud of butterflies and it also became very cold around me....I walked on for a few moments and "puff" the butterflies and the cold sensation disappeared again. I don't know what others think of it....but I took it as a "hello dad, I'm fine....". It still brings me to tears when I think of it.
Feel free to laugh......

Another wild photo...see it , or don't. I'm not one to read into things, but my walking partner flipped out when she saw this. It was taken on October 15th...and some swear they see St Teresa Avila, Spanish Nun, Mystic, Saint... I'll leave it to you...View attachment 45409
Where?

Rilke Poem.jpg
Not an apparition, but mysterious for sure...
Before leaving Cacabelos, bound for O'Cebreiro, I read a devotional from my favorite Franciscan teacher (everybody has one, right?). In the devotional was this poem by Rainer Rilke:

"God speaks to each of us as he makes us, then walks with us silently out of the night.
These are the words we dimly hear:
You, sent out beyond your recall, go to the limits of your longing, embody me.
Flare up like flame, and make big shadows I can move in.
Let everything happen to you: beauty and terror. Just keep going. No feeling is final.
Don't let yourself lose me.
Nearby is the country they call life. You will know it by its seriousness.
Give me your hand."

My planned walk on this day was 36.8km (nearly 23 miles), ambitious but possible...I wanted to end the day in O'Cebreiro. I walked in the cool rain from Cacabelos to Villafranca del Bierzo. Refueled and dried out in Villafranca with some great people from across the globe. Then made the grueling walk alongside the highway from Villafranca to Vega de Valcarce. After a nice lunch, it was into the hills for a beautiful stroll into O'Cebreiro, except it turned out not so beautiful in our traditional understanding. The winds kicked up to near gale speed and the rains came down, not normal July conditions for this south Texan. To compound the terror of the afternoon, the trail was muddy and steep.

Elevation Day 26.jpg

It was one of two moments on the Camino in which I questioned my sanity and life-choices. The first was in similar conditions in the Pyrenees, by now a distant memory. I continued my slog up the steep trail and paused for a breath at one of the switchbacks. On the ground, to the side of the trail, was a piece of broken slate. On the remaining piece of the slate was part of the poem that started my day. The hair on the back of my neck stood up and gooseflesh covered my body. It was a not-so-subtle reminder that life is much more mysterious and maybe more beyond our control than we are comfortable with.

The half-poem inspired me to finish strong. I walked through the driving rains up to O'Cebreiro. The temperature on top of the hill was 8.8 degrees C (48 degress F), not including windchill. Warmth and dry clothes in the albergue were beautiful. Dinner with new friends in the village was beautiful.

Then terror. In the middle of our meal, a pilgrim at the table next to us fell face first into plate of pasta, probably dead before his face hit the table. A pilgrim, and also a doctor, tried frantically for an hour and a half to restore life. The emergency medical team arrived and covered the pilgrim with a white sheet.

Let everything happen to you: beauty and terror. Just keep going. No feeling is final...
Nearby is the country they call life.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
During my camino in August of 2016, I had a moment along the hot and dry meseta when I was thinking about an old boyfriend (once the love of my life and the experience of my youth that every teenage girl should have). He took his own life a number of years ago and despite our acrimonious break up, we remained friends and I still miss him. I was walking alone and as I was thinking of him, I felt a rush of energy to my right side and just behind me. Im sure I felt him beside me. We greeted each other not so much with talk but more with feeling. I felt him tease me about the music I was listening to on my iPhone at the time and I felt him smile when a song we had both loved came on. We walked together between until the next town and then he bid me goodbye. I felt him leave. It may have been the heat, but I still believe he was there. He still visits me in my dreams too.

I was awoken during the early morning, at an old, private alberque after Estella. I opened my eyes to see a heavily robbed monk seated on the other side of my neighbours bed, at the foot of his bed. I was not frightened or surprised (strangely so). The Monk's face was hidden inside a large hood, but the stare was directed at that person in the bed next to me. As I leaned up to take a closer look, the monk disappeared. The next afternoon, in Logrono, I found out that a phone had been stolen - from the person in the bed above me who had plugged it into the wall between mine and that neighbours bed. I was suspected of taking the phone, which obviously I hadn't, and believe the monk came to warn me of the dubious neighbour next to me - the only other suspect. He'd been an early starter too, like me.
I've had many wonderful experiences on my caminos, all mostly relating to remarkable coincidences with some of the people I've met. That was, to date, the only supernatural experience (that I am aware of). I'm on the Salvador and Primitivo next month... can hardly wait for the excitement and blessings ;-) LLN Keith

Last edited by a moderator:

ONE.

TWO.

THREE

Thank you for sharing this beautiful experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In 2013 I walked the Camino Frances after the death of my father and it soon became very apparent that not only was I processing that grief but also the unresolved grief of my mother who had died when I was 11.

I had some wonderfully spiritual moments along the way but when I was walking the section between Palas De Rey and Melide, I was suddenly felt exhausted and felt I couldn't go on. As I struggled to walk I suddenly felt a presence and "heard" my fathers voice saying "come on Boy boy (my childhood nickname) you can do this" and then the voice of my mother which said "You know why you have come don't you? It's time to say goodbye. I have to leave you and you have to move on"

I was bereft and cried the entire way to Melide. I just couldn't calm myself down I knew it was probably just my exhaustion manifesting what I wanted to hear but it seemed so real and really affected me so the tears were uncontrollable and quite embarrassing, to be honest.

Funnily enough, I had never thought of my Camino as a way to say goodbye so when I had calmed down later that evening I was surprised to read an email from my friend talking about grief, she had just lost a daughter, and saying that "when you finally stop crying they will move on". It was such a strange synchronicity and although I knew I hadn't really had a conversation with my dead parents, it all seemed comforting in some way.

But here is the thing I find mystical. When I went to collect my Compostela, the young woman doing Compostela asked for my name. Rather naively I politely asked if i could put my parent's names as I felt they had walked with me. She said no obviously and so i handed over my passport with a smile but i must admit my eyes got teary.

Then, without any cause to, the young man next to her spoke to her in Spanish, which I dont understand and I still don't know why as I hadn't made a scene or held up the line. I can only think he was looking at a very sad pilgrim and wondering why. After a brief conversation, the woman smiled and asked me for their names. I was quite taken back but joyfully wrote down my parents names, Brian and Ngaire and as an afterthought added my nickname Boy Boy.

Afterwards, I sat outside the Cathedral and realised how blessed i was to get my Compostela with their names on it and how it almost seemed like a confirmation that I had walked with them.

Had something mystical prompted the young man in the Compostela office to allow this? A gift from the Camino? Who knows but my grief left me and my love affair with the Camino began. (and before I am told off, I now know I should not have asked for this on my Compostela, and never would again.)

Attachments

• 11750693_10153144319838772_4055613888283869837_n.jpg
    11750693_10153144319838772_4055613888283869837_n.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
...I was suddenly felt exhausted and felt I couldn't go on. As I struggled to walk I suddenly felt a presence and "heard" my fathers voice saying "come on Boy boy (my childhood nickname) you can do this" and then the voice of my mother which said "You know why you have come don't you? It's time to say goodbye. I have to leave you and you have to move on"

I was bereft and cried the entire way to Melide. I just couldn't calm myself down I knew it was probably just my exhaustion manifesting what I wanted to hear but it seemed so real and really affected me so the tears were uncontrollable and quite embarrassing, to be honest.
It's quite common and many times reported about similar experiences when people were exhausted or on a brink of melt-down or something on the border (even using hallucinogenic drugs) to have such experience. Or in very deep meditative state of mind.

I had similar experience with my grandma's necklace which was just a piece of kitch but she loved it and I brought it to be left at Cruz de Ferro. She was hardcore communist but before she died couple of months before my Camino she was saying "Oh, Saint Mary" very often when in delirium. I exactly knew where I put that necklace (very deep hidden pocket of my backpack) but when I came to the spot the necklace was gone. I was so very sad until I heard a voice in my head saying, that everything is OK. It wasn't personally addressed as from my grandmom just something that gave me notion that she OK even if I don't leave the physical item there. My intention was enough for her I believe. The necklace never reappeared...

But here is the thing I find mystical. When I went to collect my Compostela, the young woman doing Compostela asked for my name. Rather naively I politely asked if i could put my parent's names as I felt they had walked with me. She said no obviously and so i handed over my passport with a smile but i must admit my eyes got teary.

Then, without any cause to, the young man next to her spoke to her in Spanish, which I dont understand and I still don't know why as I hadn't made a scene or held up the line. I can only think he was looking at a very sad pilgrim and wondering why. After a brief conversation, the woman smiled and asked me for their names. I was quite taken back but joyfully wrote down my parents names, Brian and Ngaire and as an afterthought added my nickname Boy Boy.
Well, that wasn't miraculous or mystical, sorry :)
If the volunteer girl would know that there are also "Pro Vicario" Compostelas it would be issued to you without young man's intervention. But I can understand what that meant for you!

Oh, I didn't realise that they would write all 3 Names in the area where the pilgrim's name goes. I always assumed that when you walked on behalf of someone they added that person name to the Compostela but not actually with the pilgrim's name as they did with mine, and certainly not a nickname lol. Last year I walked on behalf of my Aunt and they added her name to the bottom of Compostella but now I realise that my away with the fairies moment was just stupidity lol.

I wonder if your necklace will ever reappear.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh, I didn't realise that they would write all 3 Names in the area where the pilgrim's name goes. I always assumed that when you walked on behalf of someone they added that person name to the Compostela but not actually with the pilgrim's name as they did with mine, and certainly not a nickname lol. Last year I walked on behalf of my Aunt and they added her name to the bottom of Compostella but now I realise that my away with the fairies moment was just stupidity lol.

I wonder if your necklace will ever reappear.
Hahaha, three Camino trips later with same backpack it didn't :)

I don't really remember if staff at the PO ask you for the passport? It's of course easier for them to write your name on the Compostela correctly but you can say that you are Mickey Mouse and they would write that name.

Oh well, as I said, my stupidity has been established and my mystical moment destroyed so no need for the rubbing of salt into the wound. Have a nice weekend,
Mickey Mouse

ONE.

TWO.

THREE

I'll be walking for my Dad too on this next Camino. He was failing when I walked last fall and passed away shortly after I got home. So now this one is for him. I think I might get a Compostella with his name also. Nice idea.

Funny, right after I decided to do the Primitivo (I'd been debating on routes to take!) I began reading a guide book borrowed from a friend. Somewhere on day two or so, there is a chapel for those who are grieving! I'd never heard mention of it before by anyone in all the time I've spent trolling the forum. It's how I knew I'd made the right decision on which route to walk this fall. So, pre Camino apparition or whatever you wanna call it! Wishing you well on your next journey.

@ksam
I did it in 2014 for a good friend who was terminally ill (cancer) but he was also a father of even better friend of mine. It meant a world to him and he lived for another 3 years.

Sometimes we even don't realize how much we do for people with doing very little really. Like walk the Camino and go to the PO asking for "Pro Vicario Compostela"

On every Camino every day I do one step back and then walk on. Those additional steps are for my mom. Who is still here but I can't persuade her to undertake what we abandoned (in 2009) in Logrono because of my injury.

It's never too late and it doesn't take much of an effort :)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back