Appeal for Funds from the Confraternity of Saint James | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims

By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign
Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Appeal for Funds from the Confraternity of Saint James

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by ivar, Dec 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ivar

ivar Administrator Staff Member Donating Member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. t2andreo

t2andreo Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances: 2013, 2014
    Madrid: 2016
    Portuguese: 2015, 2017
    Voluntario: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    Ivar, the DONATE button drops me at the Paypal front door. All well and good, but, nothing tells me exactly how to specify who gets paid. Did the hot link fail? Or, did I do something wrong.

In any event, donating would be easier, if the link took one directly to the CSJ payee information...

Standing by...

Thanks,

Tom

movinmaggie, yaying and Tia Valeria like this.
  3. ivar

Hmm.. not sure why... try going to their site:
    https://www.csj.org.uk/
    ..and click the Donate button at the top.

yaying and Tia Valeria like this.
  4. Sailor

Sailor Lifetime Membership Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances (2017)
    Thanks Ivar for the heads up. I have tried for the past 30 minutes to access the CSJ's website but No Go [front page is frozen at my end], I will try in a couple of hours. To all caminantes, Feliz Navidad, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

yaying likes this.
  5. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Nunca se camina solo Donating Member

Thanks for posting this Ivar and to everyone for their help. As well as donations we are also asking for your experiences and stories.

The CSJ does a great job with few resources. We run two albergues - one at Rabanal del Camino on the Camino Frances and the other at Miraz on the Camino del Norte. Both are donativo. Over 7000 pilgrims from 138 countries stayed last season. The CSJ needs to maintain the buildings as well as renew mattresses and other equipment.
    Have you stayed in one of these albergues? What was it like?

As numbers on the Camino increase so to does the number of people with disabilities or other special needs who want to make the pilgrimage. The CSJ provides help and practical support to such pilgrims from all over the world. We have a Saint Christopher Fund for this purpose. Please help us to help more older, more frail and disabled people to go on the Camino.

So over the next month or so please post your stories and experiences and consider making a donation. Just click here and the donations button is on the website - www.csj.org.uk

6. t2andreo

Camino(s) past & future:
    Okay, so, at Ivar's suggestion above, I went directly to the CSJ website and clicked on the concha in the upper right corner. It linked directly to my Paypal sign on and I was easily able to donate GBP 50 to the cause.

So, one and done...easy peasy...I did my part...NOW YOU CAN DO YOURS...;)

Now to the main point... On and concerning the Camino there are multiple groups and charities worthy of your support. Some are better than others, at least IMHO

At this time of year, many of us are scratching about wondering how we can do more to "give back" or to help out with things Camino-related. To be strictly factual, there are also those among us casting about for worthy places to donate in consideration of the income tax benefits that might accrue. Many of us receive all manner of solicitations for one charitable group or another at this time of year.

I don't know about you, but I got so weary with the telephone pitches that I subscribed to a free robo-phone filtering service that automatically intercepts and dumps calls from known robot callers. My phone only rings perhaps once a week now with unsolicited requests for money. The hard mail is another story entirely...:eek:

IMHO, being as charitable as one can, whilst keeping it within the Camino Family is a gift that not only returns direct benefits, but continues to give...to many, many others. Put another way, many times you make a donation in good faith to one group or another, then scratch your head wondering if anyone truly benefited.

Well, I would like to offer you a suggestive list of worthwhile Camino charities that we ALL know about. This list is not all inclusive. If anyone has additions, please feel free to include them in your post.

Here is my list, in no particular priority:

American Pilgrims on the Camino (APOC) - If you are American and not a member, DO JOIN, support and donate.

Canadian Company of Pilgrims - Likewise if you live in Canada...JOIN, support and donate.

Confraternity of St, James (CSJ) - whilst targeted to UK nationals, this is one of the largest and oldest Camino support groups out there. For years they have sponsored albergues and a great series of guide books and far more. Each of us has benefited greatly by the CSJ just being there.

Anyone who has walked through Rabanal del Camino is aware of the famous albergue there, run by CSJ volunteers. It is one of the highlights anytime I walk through. Even though I do not stay there (I prefer private lodging) I always stop by to pay my respects, and if lucky, I am invited to "tea." They are lovely people.

Johnnie Walker separately has made a plea for contributions, so I will not tread on that, except to chime in and state that the CSJ is among the most venerable and well run of all the Camino charitable support groups. Whatever amount you can contribute would be money well invested in the Camino.

If you live in the UK, please JOIN the CSJ to support their activities. Even if you do not live there, I am certain they will welcome you as a member.

Big Fun in a Tiny Pueblo - This is Rebekah Scott's blog. As many of us know, Rebekah and her husband Paddy live in an ancient (literally, like 650 years old +/-) adobe hacienda in Moratinos, just coming off the Meseta.

IMHO, Rebekah is among the secular saints that make the Camino a very special place. There are others, to be sure, but Rebekah has got her stuff together. Many hundreds of us here in the forum, and indeed any pilgrim who happens by, have benefited from her extreme hospitality when passing through on Camino or if we return to help on one of her many projects, like the Albergue at San Anton, the pilgrim memorial grove outside Astorga, the annual Ditch Pig clean up, etc.

Rebekah has recently started a tax-exempt, non-profit organization (under US tax laws) to support her Camino-related activities, all in support of the Camino and pilgrims, writ large. She lives on a very modest pension income and any contributions go directly into her many, varied and IMHO worthwhile activities.

Pilgrim House - is located at Rua Nova 19 in Santiago. Who of us has NOT availed ourselves of the varied services they offer, on donativo pricing to all pilgrims? From free Wi-Fi, to mochila consigna, laundry service, a DIY kitchen, lounge area, available tablet computers to access e-mail the web or to print boarding passes, etc., they are an oasis in a desert of convenient low cost pilgrim-centric services. PLUS, all the staff are friendly, helpful and exceedingly good at what they do.

Pilgrim House - Santiago is supported by a US charitable group, International Teams, to provide a helpful outreach to the world. All of the staff are very low-paid and they are there because they WANT TO BE. The parent organization and Pilgrim House - Santiago proper rely on donations to be able to continue to provide services. DO, consider them in your year-end charitable giving.

THIS FORUM - Last, but certainly not least, Ivar and this forum is well deserving of added membership, as well as any amount you can contribute to the cause. Also, frequenting Casa Ivar, his online shop, contributes to keeping this valuable resource alive.

Many moons ago, Ivar fell in love and married a lady from Santiago. They now have a beautiful child. Ivar had done the Camino, and like most of us, fell in love, in multiple ways. Fortunately for all of us, he managed to structure a new life for himself and family in Santiago where he could be part of the Camino experience with all aspects of his endeavors.

Ivar is a very talented and clever fellow. He identified services that pilgrims needed and set about providing them. Who among us has never mailed something "down the road" to Ivar to be waiting for us on arrival at the end of our pilgrimage? He has become the "go to guy" to find out everything about anything going on in and around Santiago. If Ivar does not have the answer, he does have a extensive network of friends and colleagues who can answer questions.

So, please join the forum, subscribe, and patronize this website and the store. Use Ivar's services whenever possible. Every little bit helps Ivar to help all of us...

N.B. I have NO COMMERCIAL INTEREST in any of the above. To be absolutely truthful, many of the people involved with these groups or activities have become my good friends over the years. I am merely trying to return the favor. This just seemed like a good place to make a general pitch in favor of helping those who help us.

I hope this helps.

P.S. If the above has annoyed you in some way. Please send me a PM to take your disagreement off-line. I respect your right to have a differing opinion, but I ask that it not throw a wet blanket over everything else good about this thread.:)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 3:42 AM
  7. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 Moderator Staff Member Donating Member Donating Member

And to the extent that US forum members are looking for tax deductions for charitable donations (though you can only get a deduction for gifts to charities in the US, so I guess that would leave us with only APOC in T2andreo's list above), know that this year is likely to be the last year that most people will get a tax break for doing so. Charities in the US are quite afraid about the hit they will take with whatever the new tax law looks like. Though there is a lot unknown, it seems pretty certain that the 30% of the US population that used to itemize deductions will go down to 5%, meaning that millions of people will no longer get any tax break for donating to charities. So as one of my friends says, this is the year to go hog wild with your donations! Not that tax benefits ought to be the motivator behind charitable giving, mind you. :eek:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...ndard-deduction-charities-20171109-story.html

8. t2andreo

Camino(s) past & future:
    I think both Rebekah’s charity AND Pilgrim House, through their US base group, International Teams, are 503.3(c) charities under US law. Hope I got the tax code citation correct. But, you get the idea.

You need to ask Rebekah and “natefaith.”

yaying and peregrina2000 like this.
  9. Juspassinthrough

Juspassinthrough Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances, May-June (2017)
    Ingles-Finisterre (2018)
    I’ve been trying to donate to the forum but it’s not easy. I have used PayPal but not often. When I go to the linked site listed above, I don’t see where I can donate to this forum. When I click Donate, it takes me to PayPal, that’s it. Anyone have some clear instructions?

yaying likes this.
  10. Sailor

Sailor Lifetime Membership Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances (2017)
    Let's see if you can get it done by using this option [to donate to THIS forum].

https://www.santiagodecompostela.me/products/camino-forum-donation

On the right side of the screen you will see "Camino Forum Donation"
    - Select your donation level
    - Click on add to cart
    - On top right of the screen you will see My Cart & Check Out, click on check out
    [Note on check out: On the check out you will see the donation, (i.e. 10.00), Qty (i.e. 1), Total (i.e. 10.00), in this example you can increase the amount from 10.00 to 20.00 or 30.00 by changing the number in the Qty box, then click the UPDATE and you will see the new Total].
    - Follow the instructions to donate using your credit card
    - Thanks for donating !!!

Note: If you are still having issues with the donation please send a PM to Ivar.

Wishing you a Feliz Navidad, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 5:21 AM
    grayland and yaying like this.
  11. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 Moderator Staff Member Donating Member Donating Member

It's 501(c)(3) but I get what you mean. That's good to know about Reb and Pilgrim House. Thanks, t2andreo.

MisterH, t2andreo and yaying like this.
  12. kirkie

kirkie Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
    Thanks for your very clear post. It did not annoy me at all. It took a while for me to notice the label ‘donate’ on this forum, so you are doing a service to others like me who have blinkered vision.

13. ivar

So this December appeal for funds is for the CSJ (not for me). It will be used to help pilgrims, see more on this page:
    https://www.caminodesantiago.me/put-something-back-into-the-camino-this-festive-season/

They use PayPal (CSJ) that is why this shows up when you click the link. I have updated the link in the blog post above by the way, I am now sending you to their website and then you should click the "Donate" link at the top to donate.

If that does not work, we need to get in touch with the CSJ...

Thanks!
    Ivar

Tia Valeria likes this.
  14. Tia Valeria

Tia Valeria Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
    C. Inglés 2011
    C. Primitivo '12
    Norte-C. de la Reina '13
    C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
    If you mean to the forum itself then look under your list of items in the drop down menu from your name (top right). 'Account upgrades' takes me to a card payment link. There may also be a Pay-Pal 'one off link through Donations, but as a donating member I don't see it.
    Over to @ivar for a better explanation.

15. JohnnieWalker

Thanks Ivar - the Donations button is working perfectly now.

t2andreo and ivar like this.
  16. Camino Chris

Camino Chris Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (April/May 2017)
    Hi Tom, This is just wonderful! You are so thoroughly knowledgeable on SO many things pilgrim related and this post is just one of them. Thank you for sharing all this information and it's given this addicto_O new things to check out. I'm really looking forward to meeting you in March when we come to Florida, too! :)

t2andreo likes this.
  17. Camino Chris

Camino Chris Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (April/May 2017)
    I do not have a Paypal account, but I recently donated to this forum by using my VISA credit card, which was very easy for those who do not have Paypal.

t2andreo and ivar like this.
  18. t2andreo

Camino(s) past & future:
    I allow myself ONE 'senior moment' daily. That was it yesterday... At two oopsies, I get cross with myself. When, and if, I have the third 'moment,' I go back to bed...

Thank you for the assist...

natefaith and wayfarer like this.
  19. Waka

Waka Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Some but not all, and other routes too.
    ivar likes this.
  20. Rebekah Scott

Rebekah Scott Camino Busybody Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Many, various, and continuing.
    Thank you for the good words, T2. Peaceable Projects Inc. is launching its website and PayPal links on 21 December. Meantime, you can continue using the link on the blog listed above, if you´re feeling generous!

21. Jopoke

Jopoke New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances September 2015
    Lisbon to Santigo May 2016
    Porto coastal route to Santiago Oct 2016
    A small but monthly donation was easy to set up. We stayed at Rabanal last year and it left us with a wonderful memory. We are members of the Confraternity and one day when I retire would like to volunteer for the organisation. They have helped us a few times with books and our credentials. A well deserved charity. Thank you for bringing to my attention.

t2andreo, Alan Pearce and Tia Valeria like this.
  22. Jeff Crawley

Jeff Crawley Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Ingles May 2018 (flight and accommodation already booked!)
    Pleased to give something back - thank you for highlighting this.

23. Panama Francis

Panama Francis Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Plan to walk The French route starting September 9, 2017
    Many, many thanks for this very helpful guide to giving!

24. JohnnieWalker

Thank you to all of you who have donated so far. Two questions have been sent the answers to which I think will be helpful to everyone:

Is the Confraternity of Saint James a religious organisation?

The CSJ has no connection whatsoever to any church or denomination. It is a non-religious organisation which provides information and support to pilgrims no matter their country, background or beliefs.

Can you give us an example of what the CSJ does?

One example of many in the last year is Fay who is 87. She has had a life-long ambition to walk on the Camino to Santiago and she felt time was running out. She wondered if she had left it too late as she now has heart problems and can’t walk for long distances without resting. Her doctor agreed to her walking but told her she should “do it soon”! The CSJ was pleased to help and a Pilgrim Companion met Fay on her arrival in London. They went shopping together for her walking shoes etc and did some short practice walks before leaving for Spain. The organisation arranged their accommodation along part of one of the Camino routes so that she could walk approximately 8 kms per day with many rests and be picked up and taken back to the hostel each evening. In all it took Kay 10 days to walk 50 kms but she felt triumphant at the end. She has now written wanting to complete her 100 kms next year!

Help us to help more pilgrims like Kay – donate here www.csj.org.uk

camino07, kirkie, Alan Pearce and 3 others like this.