• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Appian Way from Brindisi to Naples

Ray J

Where exactly are we?
Time of past OR future Camino
CF
Rota Vicentina & Portuguese
Paris to Moulins & Le Puy
VF
Cornwall & John Muir Way
We are going to hike from Brindisi to Naples this June. We want to follow the Appian Way including these towns: Brindisi, Taranto, Gravina,Venosa, Aquilonia, and Aeclanum, then go to Salerno, Sorrento, Pompeii, and Naples.

Does anyone have information on the trails on this route, such as their condition (or if they even exist!), how well they are marked, etc.? Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated, even if you tell us that this not feasible or a recommend a better route. Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Ray,
Would any of these Wikiloc links help? The author gives a lot of information in addition to the gpx downloads for the tracks. Here's the link to the first stage, Via Appia/Appia Way - Stage 01 - Brindisi to Mesagne. The track is fairly recent (September, 2016). The author, GerardNL, says "The track follows the Via Appia Antica loosely as it's not possible to hike the original route anymore. In large part because the old road have been upgraded over the centuries and is now a highway in some section or a main provincial road where cars are speeding by you. In other sections, the road is simply gone. Instead, I've searched for nice roads, a little away from any main roads where there is a lot less traffic (or none at all). Where possible, it will pass through the centre of towns to allow some local site-seeing and a chance to resupply." He generously seeks comments and you can email him by clicking on his name on the Wikiloc site to get the link.

I was hoping there might be information on the Cammini d'Italia website, and there is, but maybe not as promising as you would like: "Interventions for the Via Appia will focus on fixing the exact route and carrying out work along the route to increase its usability." It talks about a 20 million euro investment...and gives a link to HUB Geoculturale – Appia Regina Viarum. On that map, stages will appear in red if you use the dropdown menu after the words "Zoom su tappa" in the middle above the map.
Elaine

Last edited:
All the best, we did a lot of research into this route in 2002/08 and have a shelf full of books and maps. But even after a few trips to track down remaining sections we could never string enough bits together to get it to work. As the post above mentions most of the origional route is under highways, and most of the Italians couldn't understand why we wanted to walk it and kept directing us to car hire places. Best Roman roads we found were in Turkey... And of course the Vdlp.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks, Elaine! The map on the HUB Geoculturale – Appia Regina Viarum site shows exactly the route I'm interested in. Now, all I need to do is figure out how much (if any) of it actually exists in some form or another. I received word from the Cammini d'Italia saying the Appian Way is a "Pathway in progress", so I'm not encouraged. Regardless, you've given me some additional things to look into, so thanks again!

All the best, we did a lot of research into this route in 2002/08 and have a shelf full of books and maps. But even after a few trips to track down remaining sections we could never string enough bits together to get it to work. As the post above mentions most of the origional route is under highways, and most of the Italians couldn't understand why we wanted to walk it and kept directing us to car hire places. Best Roman roads we found were in Turkey... And of course the Vdlp.

Thanks for the info. Seems like such a shame that Italy hasn't taken advantage of what would seem to be a natural path to develop. On the other hand, maybe that part of Italy isn't very tourist friendly and/or scenic - Did any of your research turn up information on that? Thanks!

[QUOTE="Ray J, post: 577129, member: 51707"The map on the HUB Geoculturale – Appia Regina Viarum site shows exactly the route I'm interested in. Now, all I need to do is figure out how much (if any) of it actually exists in some form or another. [/QUOTE]
Hi Ray,
I'm glad the map helped. Whether the trails actually exist is an interesting problem to try to figure out. I had the same problem with some trails in the Serrania de Ronda in southern Spain that I found on a map, but couldn't find any evidence of anyone actually having walked them. I emailed the Diputación Provincial de Málaga (who had put the basemap I was looking at on their website), and they very nicely gave me a link that let me access the maps directly in a fuller form, which helped somewhat. Maybe you could find a sympathetic person in the Italian government mapping department that put up the HUB map who would help you...?
Another thought (but maybe you've already tried this) is to try to match up the exact spot where you think a trail stage might start on the search map on Wikiloc, zoom in as far as possible, and see if any symbols pop up from someone uploading a track, even if it isn't labeled as a stage of the Appian Way. You could also enable wikiloc tracks on Google Earth and see if there are any that look like they go along trails you can visually see (but not all the existing wikiloc tracks are linked to Google Earth). Directions for how to do this are on the wikiloc website.
I tried looking at some, and it seems that GerardNL's tracks are often the closest. Maybe if you email him, he will know some specific sources you could investigate.
One last thought: Have you tried using any of the map overlays on Gaia? I just looked at Italy with the Gaia topo map enabled in layers, and it looks like maybe it shows the stages (but I'm not familiar enough with them to tell). Since these can all be turned into GPS tracks if you draw along them to set up a route, maybe that would help you find them once you were on the spot. There are directions here and here for how to do this, if you haven't used Gaia before. Or maybe there is a way to export the routes from the HUB map to Gaia.
Have fun. It sounds like a great project!
Elaine

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
More great information! I think the best starting point will be combining the HUB Geoculturale map with GerardNL's information and seeing what I come up with. I'll also use your other suggestions as I get more data(and become familiar with those tools). Thanks again!

Hi Ray,
You are very welcome. It's amazing, isn't it, to be able to sit in your own house and see all these geographical details about another part of the world. Do you have access to any of the books this author mentions? Sounds like he had a great time researching the Appian Way.
Good luck with your investigations,
Elaine

Last edited:
Hi Ray,
You are very welcome. It's amazing, isn't it, to be able to sit in your own house and see all these geographical details about another part of the world. Do you have access to any of the books this author mentions? Sounds like he had a great time researching the Appian Way.
Good luck with your investigations,
Elaine

I'm going to try to get a copy of that book - looks interesting. Right now, we're in the "Our Itinerary Changes After Every New Piece of Information We See" and "Why Didn't We Start This Months Ago" phases of research. (Nothing new there! :)) GerardNL is excellent as far as he goes, but he only made it from Brindisi to the north of Taranto, but that's given us a lot to work with.

Lots to do, but a good start thanks to your suggestions!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Ray,
Here's a list of the 28 stages GerardNL has put on wikiloc between Brindisi and Rome. You have to go to the second and third pages to see all of them, and they are not in order by stage. I'm not sure if it is what you are looking for, but I did see that stage 17 goes through Aeclanum.
I know what you mean about changing plans. I just finished mapping out our last trail from Casares to the Mediterranean, and then I looked at the weather forecast for Feb. and March and am wondering why we are going to that area during the rainy season!
Elaine

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.