• Some parts of the forum is not leading as it should. We are working on it.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Apple Maps - CF city flyover tours

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Spring 2022
CP Spring 2024
Although Google Maps seems to be everyone’s default for navigation assistance and route planning (including mine), as an iPhone user it’s been interesting to see how far Apple has come with its native Maps app in iOS since it launched years ago.

Among the features I really like is the automatic “Flyover tour” which provides a literal bird’s eye view in 3D over selected cities while pointing out significant landmarks along the way. (You can somewhat do this manually using Google Maps by pinching and zooming but as far as I know only Apple Maps provides the animation part.)

Flyover tours only used to be available for larger cities like New York, London, Paris, and Rome but they’ve started to expand it to medium and smaller size cities as well - including two on the Camino Frances!

Pamplona

León

iPhone users will find those links will open in the Maps app on your phone - hit the “Flyover” button to begin your virtual tour. (Not sure what happens when you visit the links on an Android phone, though I suspect they will open in Google Maps instead.)

Thought this would be fun to share for anyone wanting to orient themselves before a trip (like me) or for revisiting two CF cities for those who have been there before. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Having never taken a bite out of the Apple I use Google Earth - you import or draw your route say SJPP to SdC click on it and then off you go. It can be quite stomach churning and it doesn't point out the landmarks as you zoom past!

Having never taken a bite out of the Apple I use Google Earth - you import or draw your route say SJPP to SdC click on it and then off you go. It can be quite stomach churning and it doesn't point out the landmarks as you zoom past!

I totally forgot about Google Earth! I think I deleted it from my phone and iPad a while back due to memory issues (the device memory, not my own memory, although that needs an upgrade too I’m afraid.) I agree it can be rather dizzy-making but still a fun thing to play with, especially for us map geeks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Back