• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Apple Watch on the Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
CDN, Primitivo, Sanabrés, Portugués, Ruta do Mar,
My iPhone and iPad are coming with me and I will have them mostly on airplane mode until I am at place with a strong WiFi signal to use for free. Is an Apple Watch even a good idea to bring along? Won't it need to connect to my iPhone? Definitely I am not a techie, so this is a question that perhaps has been asked, but I am about to leave this afternoon and have not made up my mind about it. Would you give any advice?
Ultreïa!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is there a reason you believe that you need to bring it?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, this is a very personal opinion.

I find that technology and Camino de Santiago is not a good match at all! You end up loosing a lot of insights and inner experiences when connected with your "Normal Life". Try to be as much offline as you can! Seriously, Thats when you really "get" the true simplicity taught by the camino...

I would say, take with you one phone only, and if you need to write, pen and notebook is a good idea. Very playful and gets the job done!

You dont even need a watch at all....

But yet again, this is my personal opinion. Other fellow pilgrims might think differently.

Buen Camino!

Ultreya!

I am so grateful for your insight! The watch stays, and perhaps the iPad too! Yes, the watch has to be charged every single day, it's a pain! -especially when traveling. Simplicity is what I want, and there is no better way to set me straight then come to you for help!! Thanks:)

Ultreïa!

Mary

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am so grateful for your insight! The watch stays, and perhaps the iPad too! Yes, the watch has to be charged every single day, it's a pain! -especially when traveling. Simplicity is what I want, and there is no better way to set me straight then come to you for help!! Thanks:)

Ultreïa!

Mary

I think you are not gonna regret!

I always praise the simplicity for the Camino and ( as a personal opinion) the amount of technology with the pilgrims nowadays make me shiver... I know I tend to repeat myself on that but, Its something a like to remember:

Not long ago pilgrims would have no cell phones, there was internet, but it was not everywhere... One would go weeks without knowing what was going on in the "real world".

We would sit together during common evening meals, talk to each other, pray for our loved ones and wish the Via Lactea would protect not only ourselves but those we left behind during our adventures....

It was very warm and sincere days and moments...

Thee feelings are still there, I know... But... Its not the same...

We keep getting work emails, we keep talking with everyone on whatsapp and facebook... We do not "Turn ourselves off"...

We end up loosing this part of the magic...

:)

Hope you have a woderful time! With or without technology!!

Ultreya!

Last edited:
You are so right! It is those special moments with ourselves or in the company of fellow pilgrims are a big part of what the Camino is all about:) I know I won't regret it, and thanks so much for your good wishes!

Ultreïa!

When I walked from Geneva I lost my phone somewhere on the Aubrac Plateau and never bothered replacing it. I never missed it at all. I never knew what was going on in the world I just lived in the moment. We even had elections back in the UK and it was a funny feeling not knowing who was in charge of my country until I got home! It was very refreshing. I understand why some might need technology with them but if you can really do without it don't bring it is my personal opinion. I would carry a phone on some of the lonelier routes though for emergency, but not really needed on the Frances. Still, bring it if you need to, but remember in some albergues charging points are at a premium.

Buen camino!
Davey

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took my Pebble Steel smartwatch. I bought a cheap two-fer converter-thingee and plugged it in each night together with my Moto X phone. No problem.

(Did I need it? Nope. But I'd feel naked without a wristwatch.)

I take a watch so that I can answer the requests of fellow pilgrims, who have left their watches at home for "simplicity," for the time. It also has a compass, alarm, stop watch, altimeter, and thermometer in it, though I am pretty sure that the only direction of importance is "west."

I have a FitBit that charges from my iPhone battery case. I like the statistics that it keeps. The "off" switch works on all my electronics when I need solitude. I don't see the point of the Apple Watch, but if you like it, take it! If you leave it at home, feel free to ask me for the time. :)

My son-in-law gave me his old FitBit; but, I have found the mileage function to be highly unreliable when using hiking sticks. It must depend on swinging arms to track distance reliably.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ha ha! I've seen a few people on Camino with apple watches, i pads, cell phones, spanish phones with sim, on and on. It's an addiction, baby. I just choose one item and a charger and travel light--but that's just me. Your mileage--and your ride--always vary.

I have found the mileage function to be highly unreliable when using hiking sticks
I always use trekking poles, and I have found the FitBit pretty accurate when using them. It uses Wii technology. You may have a defective unit, or your setup may not be accurate for the length of your pace. If you shorten your stride while on the Camino, the Fitbit will count the number of steps and multiply it by the length of your setup stride; that may lead to inaccurate distances. When I first purchased a Fitbit, I tried to fool it by taking an elevator and making stepping motions with my legs as the elevator rose. No "floors" were recorded. The actual upward and forward thrust of climbing is necessary! Similarly, steps will be recorded on a treadmill and walking, but other movement probably will not be detected as a "step." I have the length of the Nile River for total distance, so my experience with the Fitbit is extensive. My most number of floors was from Ruitelan to Fonfria.

Left iPad at home and only brought my iPhone 6 to hook up with free wifi, only to Skype with my family:) No international plan, no Spanish SIM card. So, no phone calls, yay:) it's been liberating to not be connected all the time.
I've loved walking alone in the forest, along medieval age villages and incredibly old countryside roads, taking it all in without interruptions and thoroughly living the Camino through all my senses!!
Once again the Camino has given me so much more than I thought I needed:) Thank you for your great advice, I never would do a Camino any other way:)

Ultreïa!

Mary

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
it's been liberating to not be connected all the time.

Hey Mary! Your comment made me smile! Seriously! And i`m in the middle of a very stressful afternoon at my job ( yes, the real world!).

You dont need to be 100% isolate ( its an interesting experience but not for everyone) from the real world but the less you try to connect, the more you will be connected with yourself!

Buen Camino and keep walking!

Use your Iphone 6 in airplane mode to capture some awesome pictures along the way! :D

Hi Viebe! How insightful you are! And you're exactly right when you say that the less connected to the outside world when walking the Camino the more opportunity to connect with oneself. Yay!!! It's awesome!
I'm not completely off the grid line, though, I do use Skype anytime I can get wifi and only if it's s reasonable time at home:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I posted a question about the Apple Watch before finding this link. The main reason I got it is for the fall detection feature that summons local help and also notifies my son. The stats features are cool. I’m wondering about charging and I’m looking into a solar charger to manage that.
Thx for info about SIM cards/phone calls and so on. I do want to disconnect from that. I’m
planning to walk this year sometime TBD between mid-July to September.

When I walked the first time I didn't not have roaming on so my Apple Watch dit not had GPS-connection when walking. My watch was the best one to count the lenght when we walked even though it had no GPS-connection. One friend had a Polar and the other a Garmin.

For me it was valuable and motivating to have it on.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.