• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Apple Watch question

RibbonRomanceAuthor

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos Frances, Norte and Ingles June-July 2022
Hello-I recently acquired an Apple Watch with a fall detection feature that summons help plus notifies my son. (I travel solo and can be a bit on the clumsy side) I’m wondering how to keep phones, etc charged on the Camino and now the watch in particular. Any thoughts? Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello-I recently acquired an Apple Watch with a fall detection feature that summons help plus notifies my son. (I travel solo and can be a bit on the clumsy side) I’m wondering how to keep phones, etc charged on the Camino and now the watch in particular. Any thoughts? Buen Camino
There are plenty of electrical outlets in the albergues. If you want to be able to charge things right at your bed bring an extra long charging cable. You shouldn't leave your expensive electronics unattended while they are charging.

Do you know if the feature that will call for help will work in Spain?

There are plenty of electrical outlets in the albergues. If you want to be able to charge things right at your bed bring an extra long charging cable. You shouldn't leave your expensive electronics unattended while they are charging.

Do you know if the feature that will call for help will work in Spain?
It’s supposed to. I’ll get that figured out before I go. I’m also spending time on foot in Ireland and England en route to France.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m curious about how this works.

Does the watch detect a fall and assume it’s automatically serious enough to warrant alerting emergency services?

What if you fall, but are able to get back up, dust yourself off and carry on? Would the watch have already alarmed everyone and set in motion a rescue that might not be needed?

I ask because I generally fall a few times on any given camino. Usually I am able to catch my breath, get up, examine my wounds and continue. I’ve had a couple of major bruises.

I suppose if there is a history of falling and not being able to get back up, or there are brittle bones, there is a concern. Chances are, if on the Frances, six pilgrims are coming up behind you and will help.

Not second guessing your need, just curious about how such technology would work in practical terms.

Take a three mere charging cable and a chargeable battery pack. Charge the battery pack in the accommodation while you're out (with your phone). Charge the phone from the battery pack during the day. Try not to leave your expensive phone containing all your personal details in an albergue unattended while you wander out with friends for a meal. A three metre cable allows you to use the phone while lying on your bed when the plug point is not nearby.. ....

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I’m curious about how this works.

Does the watch detect a fall and assume it’s automatically serious enough to warrant alerting emergency services?

What if you fall, but are able to get back up, dust yourself off and carry on? Would the watch have already alarmed everyone and set in motion a rescue that might not be needed?

I ask because I generally fall a few times on any given camino. Usually I am able to catch my breath, get up, examine my wounds and continue. I’ve had a couple of major bruises.

I suppose if there is a history of falling and not being able to get back up, or there are brittle bones, there is a concern. Chances are, if on the Frances, six pilgrims are coming up behind you and will help.

Not second guessing your need, just curious about how such technology would work in practical terms.
Here's the information on how it works

I’m curious about how this works. Does the watch detect a fall and assume it’s automatically serious enough to warrant alerting emergency services? What if you fall, but are able to get back up, dust yourself off and carry on? Would the watch have already alarmed everyone and set in motion a rescue that might not be needed? I ask because I generally fall a few times on any given camino. Usually I am able to catch my breath, get up, examine my wounds and continue. I’ve had a couple of major bruises. I suppose if there is a history of falling and not being able to get back up, or there are brittle bones, there is a concern. Chances are, if on the Frances, six pilgrims are coming up behind you and will help. Not second guessing your need, just curious about how such technology would work in practical terms.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It would only call in the troops if I didn't respond. I am not particularly fragile and generally bounce but even in the states there have been times when I've fallen. All was well, but the last time I came within a breath of knocking my head on a corner of pavement. I was in a neighborhood of many houses and not one soul saw what happened or came to check or anything and there were people around. I understand that pilgrims are different.
Also, I full-time in an RV in the states and my son likes the idea of knowing I'd get help quickly. I didn't get this just for the Camino but I do want to make sure I know how to use/charge, etc. while I'm there.

Take a three mere charging cable and a chargeable battery pack. Charge the battery pack in the accommodation while you're out (with your phone). Charge the phone from the battery pack during the day. Try not to leave your expensive phone containing all your personal details in an albergue unattended while you wander out with friends for a meal. A three metre cable allows you to use the phone while lying on your bed when the plug point is not nearby.. ....
Thank you!

Blimey cobber. A fall detector. Now you tell me!
Could've done with that a couple of months ago when I fell off the goat track on side of the mountain.
I was climbing up the col du St Bernard to the hospice at the top of the pass when off I went, roly poly.
After a decent bit of a breather, I pulled and scrambled my way back up to the track.
Carried on didn't I. What else are you gonna do? And half an hour from the top, down the path towards me come the St Bernard's dogs, out for their evening constitutional. And not even a little brandy barrel round their necks when a bloke could really do with a belt.
Those dogs. They're over-rated cobber.
I think you're right. We've got to get up to date with those electronics.
Regards
Gerard

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'd bring a small power bank for the eventual charging on the go

If you go this route, carefully test at home. I tried using my 'normal' Mophie battery bank and while it charges my iphone it cannot charge my apple watch. When I research this on the Mophie website it did mention this. There are specific Apple Watch battery banks that have the magnetic disk built in so it may be worth while to check into one of these.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As I see it, the advantages of bringing a battery bank/power pack is you can leave it to charge. If it walks away, it’s much cheaper to replace than an expensive phone or other piece of electronic gear. It‘s also likely to be less prone to being damaged. Once charged up, a battery bank can then recharge your devices (mobile phone, camera, apple watch, portable tv, etc), for example in your bunk while you sleep, or while trekking your chosen Camino.

The disadvantages are that it’s more weight to carry and one more thing to manage. But for me it’s worth that cost.

Something you may need to consider with your Apple Watch is that it needs to be charged up on a near daily basis. It is also not plugged in, but sits on a magnetic conductive dock to recharge. Depending on where you plan to stay, there may be an increased chance your Apple Watch will be in an environment where it might get knocked off it’s charging dock. You may want to look into 3rd party Apple Watch charging solutions that are designed for travellers that secure your watch to a charging dock. Alternatively, a velcro strap to secure the watch to the dock may (may not) work.

Hope at least some of this helps.

Last edited:
As I see it, the advantages of bringing a battery bank/power pack is you can leave it to charge. If it walks away, it’s much cheaper to replace than an expensive phone or other piece of electronic gear. It‘s also likely to be less prone to being damaged. Once charged up, a battery bank can then recharge your devices (mobile phone, camera, apple watch, portable tv, etc), for example in your bunk while you sleep, or while trekking your chosen Camino.

The disadvantages are that it’s more weight to carry and one more thing to manage. But for me it’s worth that cost.
Same here. Especially as a woman traveling alone I think that it's important to be able to use my phone to get help

I have an Apple Watch 3 and it worked great on the Camino this year. I charged it each night as I do at home and that was all it needed. I would tuck it on the charged under my pillow to keep it safe which is where I would also tuck my phone.

The only time I had a problem with the watch was when it was raining. My wet poncho sleeves against the glass on the phone made it go a little crazy and suddenly music would start playing or the recording of my walking activity would stop for no reason. I need to find a solution for keeping it dry on future caminos.

I also set my husband up with the Find My App where he could track me - I didn't feel the need for this, but he did so it was part of the deal of me leaving him for a month to walk alone in Spain. If your son is especially worried about you he might consider this also. You need to have cell service in order for that to work and I also found that I needed to turn off WIFI service during the day while walking or sometimes the cell service didn't work and that would cause my husband more concern (back in the oldish times checking in every few days would have probably satisfied him that I was OK!).

I had a small power bank and used in maybe two or three times, so it was worth the peace of mind to have it if necessary.

I did use my phone once to call emergency services when I came upon a woman who had taken a bad fall and was happy I could help.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back