• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Applying for Compostela 2022

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, would somebody please be kind enough to post the exact procedure, in a step by step guide, for how to apply online for one’s compostela on arrival in Santiago this year?

There were some recent threads, but I can’t find them right now, I’m technologically challenged, and have been asked to help a friend who is even more technologically challenged than me (if that’s possible).

Although I told her she should stay two nights in order to have time to get her compostela (in case she can’t do it on her phone), she has booked a flight out the morning after we arrive (yeah, I know, but it’s done now). We will arrive early as we have only 5kms to walk the last day. (Do we need two stamps in those 5kms???)

She turns 70 the day before we arrive, and I’d really like her to get her compostela, as it seems very important to her.

Very many thanks!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think if you are with a group, you can collect her compostella for her. There used to be a thread about how the group thing works by Tom who volunteers. @Bradypus also volunteers at the pilgrim office (or has in the past) so you might try to pm?

I think if you are with a group, you can collect her compostella for her. There used to be a thread about how the group thing works by Tom who volunteers. @Bradypus also volunteers at the pilgrim office (or has in the past) so you might try to pm?
Thanks, but I am not with a group this time!

Sorry I can't answer your question directly. But I can point you to other threads. Click on the tag now added under the title of this thread, or just click here: credencial/sellos/compostela.
Have found Tom's post. Thanks!

1. Go to this URL:

Acceso agencias

2. Click on the flag representing the language of your choice.
3. Follow the directions to fill out the information collection form
4. Submit the form.

You will receive a SMS message when you have submitted the information.
This is followed almost immediately by an email directing you to another link. This link has your QR code and alphanumeric code for the data record you just submitted.

PRESERVE BOTH THE SMS AND THE EMAIL / FIRST QR code.

This first QR code gets you into the Pilgrim Office, and results in staff giving you another receipt with a new QR code and a large number. The number is your place in the queue to be interviewed to receive a Compostela.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
post the exact procedure, in a step by step guide, for how to apply online for one’s compostela on arrival in Santiago this year?
I can't give you a step by step guide but I can give you the link where you fill out the application form which is the first step. The form is available as a translation into different languages including English. The translations are bad and they've done nothing to correct it.

There have been claims that it is possible to fill in an application form for a whole group but nobody has ever explained how this is done by way of an online application. I would not know how to do this.

The application form is on the website of the Oficina del Peregrino http://oficinadelperegrino.com. Go to the tab Registro or Register. You see two options: Single and Groups in English, or Individual and Grupos in Spanish.

Single/Individual is what you want. Choose it and fill in your application form.

Groups/Grupos requires a Username and a password. I don't know how to get that.

PS: You either go directly to the Oficina website by typing or copy/pasting the link above which you can do on a mobile phone from anywhere or you scan, in an albergue or at the Oficina, a QR code that takes you to the website. When completed they email and/or text you an alphanumeric code which is confirmation that you have successfully submitted your application.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can also wait until you arrive at the Pilgrims’ Office in Santiago. There will be a sign with a QR code to scan (as well as the related website you can manually type into your phone). Once you fill out that online form, you will be given a QR code and a number. You return to the office once your number is approaching, show the guard the number and QR, and then enter to stand in a short line to get your Compostela.

When we arrived in the afternoon in late October 2021, there was zero wait and our number was “called” as soon as the form was filled out. Total time from showing up at the office and getting our Compostela: 10 minutes! If you must wait, the system allows you to leave the office and do other things (hotel checkin, eat, rest, celebratory beer) instead of standing in line all day.

If you arrive at a particularly busy time, you do run the risk of NOT getting a number as the Office believes it has enough applications to take them to the closing time. At that point, you can get up early and fill out the form in order to get the new numbers of the new day.

We will be there at the end of May, so my friend needs to start the process as soon as it is possible to do so. She has a flight early the next morning. I am only walking from Melide with my husband, so we won't be getting one, but my two friends are starting in Sarria. We will meet up with them in Melide, and then walking together.

needs to start the process as soon as it is possible to do so
Well, you really can’t start until the day you arrive in Santiago — there is no “advanced reservation” process. You COULD fill out the form before you actually reach the Pilgrims Office, but you risk not being nearby when your number is up to get the compostela.

The best advice is to show up in Santiago early enough to ensure you get a number, but what qualifies as “early enough” is completely dependent upon how many pilgrims are there on that day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It will be busy at end of May, but it's really quite straightforward. As suggested, go to the website and register. You can do this anytime, right now if you wish. You can even do it for your friends with their permission. Here:

Once you register your details, you will immediately receive an email and a text. I did it just now for the hell of it to demonstrate, here's the text, lookit:

20220324_081949.jpg
Save the SMS with the code, or for simplicity, just write it on your credencial as this will speed things up for everybody. When you arrive at the office, show it to the guy on the door and he will admit you.
20220324_080250.jpg
Once inside, you get a ticket for the queue. When it's your turn at the desk, you will be asked for the code and the staff member will be very happy that you have it ready, no fumbling around with phones for emails and QR codes and everything else. Keep it simple..🙂

Last edited:
Well, you really can’t start until the day you arrive in Santiago — there is no “advanced reservation” process. You COULD fill out the form before you actually reach the Pilgrims Office, but you risk not being nearby when your number is up to get the compostela.

The best advice is to show up in Santiago early enough to ensure you get a number, but what qualifies as “early enough” is completely dependent upon how many pilgrims are there on that day.

Vacajoe, we might be at crossed purposes here. Perhaps I should clarify:

You can register your details anytime, from anywhere. This is just for PO statistics and saves the staff member from having to input the information manually as was the case in the past, thus speeding up the process for everyone. However, you can only get a ticket for the actual queue when you arrive, so best to get to the office early in the day..

Last edited:
It will be busy at end of May, but it's really quite straightforward. As suggested, go to the website and register. You can do this anytime, right now if you wish. You can even do it for your friends with their permission. Here:

Once you register, you will receive an email and a text immediately. I did it just now for the hell of it to demonstrate, lookit:

View attachment 121130
Save the SMS or for simplicity, just write it on your credencial, this will speed things up for everybody. When you arrive at the office, show it to the guy on the door and he will admit you.
View attachment 121129
Once inside, you get a ticket for the queue. When it's your turn at the desk, you will be asked for the code and the staff member will be very happy that you have it ready, no fumbling around with phones for emails and QR codes and everything else. Keep it simple..🙂
Very useful to get this kind of feedback!!!

And just to confirm again: After completion of the online application form, you receive, in your email and/or as text, a code that consist of the day and month of your application followed by some letters. This is what you have to show to get into the Pilgrims Office. No QR code to save! It is only when you are physically in the Pilgrims Office that you receive a ticket with a number and a QR code.

I am pointing this out because this has already caused confusion on the forum in the past. There is 'no first QR code' to save and @t2andreo's description quoted above does not correspond to the actual procedure.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, would somebody please be kind enough to post the exact procedure, in a step by step guide, for how to apply online for one’s compostela on arrival in Santiago this year?

There were some recent threads, but I can’t find them right now, I’m technologically challenged, and have been asked to help a friend who is even more technologically challenged than me (if that’s possible).

Although I told her she should stay two nights in order to have time to get her compostela (in case she can’t do it on her phone), she has booked a flight out the morning after we arrive (yeah, I know, but it’s done now). We will arrive early as we have only 5kms to walk the last day. (Do we need two stamps in those 5kms???)

She turns 70 the day before we arrive, and I’d really like her to get her compostela, as it seems very important to her.

Very many thanks!!
I will send you a PM
i will be volunteer at the Pilgrims office from next week Tuesday and will try to find the latest 2022 update.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Folks I have joined this conversation late and wonder if you can confirm... the old queuing system where we arrived, took a ticket and returned at the allotted hour... is this still in existence?

I'm walking with a group in May. We all have our credentials and we'd prefer to do it the old fashioned way and not use a phone? Will this work just as well?

(sorry for not keeping up with the changes :oops: )

queuing system where we arrived, took a ticket and returned at the allotted hour... is this still in existence? I'm walking with a group in May. We all have our credentials and we'd prefer to do it the old fashioned way and not use a phone? Will this work just as well?
According to other forum posts, if you don't want to enter your data in the online application form for your Compostela, you will be given a piece of paper and you can fill in your data with a pen, preferably your own pen. A volunteer or an employee will later take your completed paper form and enter your data online instead of you doing it yourself.

There is no "allotted hour". I wonder how you knew last time when to return if you made no use of mobile phones? Or did you have something to scan the QR code on the ticket with your waiting number after all? Because that's convenient. While filling in a form digitally may sound not so convenient even when it is dead simple to do and saves tedious work that others won't have to do later. ☺️

Last edited:
So, in short:

No use of mobile phone: Go to pilgrims office, get paper form, fill in paper form manually, get ticket with waiting number, wait in line or in basement or other waiting area, check screens for numbers being served, get Compostela and hand in paper form.

Use of mobile phone: Fill in form digitally (on the way, in albergue or pilgrims office), go to pilgrims office, get ticket with waiting number, leave if you feel like leaving and doing something else than waiting, check mobile phone screen for numbers being served, return and get Compostela.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We will be there at the end of May, so my friend needs to start the process as soon as it is possible to do so. She has a flight early the next morning. I am only walking from Melide with my husband, so we won't be getting one, but my two friends are starting in Sarria. We will meet up with them in Melide, and then walking together.
The only thing you need to do right away is get your Pilgrim Passport. If you want to order it in advance, you can do it at the store on this website. Or - you can get one from your starting point. Pilgrims passports are available in Sarria - but I haven't gotten one there so I am not sure where.

The getting the compostela - you register when you ARRIVE in Santiago - not in advance. If your friends are having trouble, there will be plenty of people at the Pilgrim's office willing to help. I am referring to staff/volunteers as well as other Pilgrims. Don't stress - I found everyone to be in a good mood and willing to help others - even though we weren't thrilled about waiting in a long line - it was a chance to socialize and we took advantage of it!

The getting the compostela - you register when you ARRIVE in Santiago - not in advance. If your friends are having trouble, there will be plenty of people at the Pilgrim's office willing to help. I am referring to staff/volunteers as well as other Pilgrims.
There is nothing to stop you registering in advance, this has been explained already. Who has told you that you have to wait until you arrive in Santiago? The information you submit isn't activated until the staff member inputs the code. By leaving it until the last minute, or waiting til you get into the pilgrims office and expecting others to facilitate you, you are creating work for others, who are likely to be stressed enough.

I've tried to help with this, even with pictures for simplicity, but I get thwarted every time.

I give up now.

Last edited:
Thank you for this very clear explanation! I'm doing a short Camino in May with a small group of friends, none of whom have walked to Santiago before, and I haven't walked since the new system was initiated. Saving this so that I can lead my charges through the process!

€46,-

Very many thanks!!
Bless ..I hope you find what your looking for

There is nothing to stop you registering in advance, this has been explained already. Who has told you that you have to wait until you arrive in Santiago? The information you submit isn't activated until the staff member inputs the code. By leaving it until the last minute, or waiting til you get into the pilgrims office and expecting others to facilitate you, you are creating work for others, who are likely to be stressed enough.

I've tried to help with this, even with pictures for simplicity, but I get thwarted every time.

I give up now.
Wow, thanks for the unnecessarily hostile reply. BTW... I personally loved being able to help others in need when in line at the Pilgrim's office. It is the kind thing to do. Reminds me of the spirit of the Camino. Extra work? Really? I was just standing in line waiting, why NOT be helpful?

Very many thanks!!
Not me! Never been a volunteer there. I think you might mean @t2andreo .
He is definitely the man for all things Pilgrim Office in Santiago.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

1. Go to this URL:

Acceso agencias

4. Submit the form.

This is followed almost immediately by an email directing you to another link. This link has your QR code and alphanumeric code for the data record you just submitted.

This first QR code gets you into the Pilgrim Office, and results in staff giving you another receipt with a new QR code and a large number. The number is your place in the queue to be interviewed to receive a Compostela.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Have I missed something, can I not just turn up at the pilgrim office without going on line. I tend to travel the camino without a smartphone.

why NOT be helpful?
Everyone wants to be helpful but some answers are not as helpful as they could be. The core question of the thread is about someone who will have less than one day in Santiago and is keen on getting a Compostela. It will be at the end of May 2022.

We know from posts in the past that there have been very busy days in Santiago where people did not get a Compostela on the day of arrival because the Pilgrims Office stops issuing tickets with waiting numbers when they have reached their daily limit, and the pilgrim had to leave Santiago early the next morning without a Compostela. Unlikely to happen in this case because the pilgrim will start the day in Monte do Gozo and is likely to arrive at the pilgrims office by mid-morning ... well before they've run out of numbers for the day in busy periods.

We know that people enjoy waiting for hours in line and socialise but that's not ideal when you have limited time. The OP said in her first post that she had advised her friend to stay two nights in Santiago but flights are booked and cannot be changed so that it not an option. The friend may want to make the most of her time and being well-informed beforehand to do this will be helpful.

Some comments in the thread are out of date or somewhat wrong or irrelevant. Some people want to make use of digital options and they may want to know beforehand so it is helpful to explain it to them instead of saying I don't know and I don't use a phone. And so on.

I am surprised that you say that we weren't thrilled about waiting in a long line. This may be of relevance in the current context so can you tell us whether you were waiting in a long line for the Compostela (which can be avoided with the new system) or in a long line to get your ticket with your waiting line number and QR code?

Last edited:
Extra work? Really? I was just standing in line waiting, why NOT be helpful?
I was referring to the workload of the staff who are all day, every day trying to help pilgrims, many of whom arrive tired and unprepared. In the current climate with covid restrictions, trying to courtously facilitate tired and sometimes cranky and frustrated pilgrims, to make themselves understood in foreign languages, through plexiglass screens, above the ambient din and with masks on, can and does take it's toll.

The jolly, expectant pilgrims in the queue, enjoying the comraderie and with little responsibility is only part of the picture. Do your bit and help other pilgrims by all means, but do your bit and help the staff by coming prepared. That is helpful to everyone.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have I missed something, can I not just turn up at the pilgrim office without going on line.
You must have missed post #21 above;) - that's easy to do since it is very concise. It says:
[With] No use of mobile phone: Go to pilgrims office, get paper form, fill in paper form manually, get ticket with waiting number, wait in line or in basement or other waiting area, check screens for numbers being served, get Compostela and hand in paper form.

I am surprised that you say that we weren't thrilled about waiting in a long line. This may be of relevance in the current context so can you tell us whether you were waiting in a long line for the Compostela (which can be avoided with the new system) or in a long line to get your ticket with your waiting line number and QR code?
Both actually. The day I went for my compostela in 2021, even though this new system was already up and running - it wasn't up and running the day I arrived. Not sure why, since I had already knew to expect to get a ticket with a QR code that would allow me to track the "lines" progress while I did other things. Anyway, I completed the online form as soon as I arrived in Santiago. Then I had to wait in a line for a ticket. I received my ticket, with no QR code. Then I had to wait for a compostela

And BTW - that reply that you quoted wasn't about the original post at all - it was about the incredibly rude response I got when apparently I said something that was apparently incorrect in my previous post. I don't mind being corrected. If I mis-speak and learn that I mis-spoke - I don't mind admitting my mistake and take care to relay the correct information in the future. But the person who was correcting me was outright rude. And to the guy with the rude response - it was actually staff at the Pilgrim's office who was telling people while I was in line with that their "pre-registration" wasn't showing up in the system because they did it too soon, and therefore they were instructed to re-register. Perhaps that was wrong information. Perhaps it was correct. Perhaps there was simply a glitch in the system that day. I don't know. Either way, I answered the original poster's question with the answers that I got, not only from my previous research, but also from what I learned when I was in that long line that day at the Pilgrim's office. My response was INTENDED to be helpful. And even if wrong information was accidentally given - it didn't warrant the rude reply the other guy gave me.

Anyhow - I know you are trying to be helpful.

The day I went for my compostela in 2021, even though this new system was already up and running - it wasn't up and running the day I arrived
Thank for taking the time to explain. So you went there and it was not a typical day because the system was not up and running on that day and you queued like in the days before the new system was introduced, correct?

Thank for taking the time to explain. So you went there and it was not a typical day because the system was not up and running on that day and you queued like in the days before the new system was introduced, correct?
Yes, that is correct. I had arrived thinking I would get my ticket then check into my nearby albergue while I wait - and couldn't. And while I was there - they were making people who "pre-registered" re-register before giving them their ticket. But the registration system was working otherwise. The guy who was telling people to re-register made it sound like the system never works when you register in the days before arrival - but I could have mis-understood that piece. But, I left with the understanding that you need to register the same day you plan to get the compostela. Again - this information came from the employee or volunteer that was assigned to assist people in the line.

Several people found my earlier post that provided concise instructions for submitting your data before you arrive at the Pilgrim Office. There is no need to do it far in advance.

I would suggest not doing it until you knew for a fact when you would be arriving. A day ahead is just fine.

Doing things this way eliminates the need for multiple hands to touch multiple reusable items: pens, clipboards, forms, etc. During a pandemic, these material are all disease vectors.

Besides, viewed overall as a process, submitting data electronically does save an incremental amount of time at the counter. Over the course of a day and a thousand or more pilgrims, the waiting times can be positively affected. Everyone spends less time at the Pilgrim Office and more time doing other, fun stuff around Santiago.

Thanks for the quotes and assist.

Tom

There have been claims that it is possible to fill in an application form for a whole group but nobody has ever explained how this is done by way of an online application. I would not know how to do this.

I'm walking with a group in May. We all have our credentials and we'd prefer to do it the old fashioned way and not use a phone? Will this work just as well?
@t2andreo - Can you weigh in on the process for a group?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow, thanks for the unnecessarily hostile reply.
But the person who was correcting me was outright rude. And to the guy with the rude response etc

It wasn't my intention to be rude to you and I'm sorry you took exception to my remarks.

If anyone has a definitive answer as to whether the online application actually does expire at some point, please do share (personal data protection?)
I registered my own details online late last year, before I left for Spain, not for the specific purpose of getting a compostela, but to get a handle on the new process for my own benefit and from an operational point of view. I understand there were some hiccups with it initially but my own details were still valid when I checked almost a month later.

In any case, I wanted to point out here, that it's a simple process even for a relative luddite like myself to manage, and to have it out of the way in advance of arrival is one less thing to worry about and makes life easier for all concerned, pilgrims, volunteers, security staff etc.

Last edited:
According to other forum posts, if you don't want to enter your data in the online application form for your Compostela, you will be given a piece of paper and you can fill in your data with a pen, preferably your own pen. A volunteer or an employee will later take your completed paper form and enter your data online instead of you doing it yourself.

There is no "allotted hour". I wonder how you knew last time when to return if you made no use of mobile phones? Or did you have something to scan the QR code on the ticket with your waiting number after all? Because that's convenient. While filling in a form digitally may sound not so convenient even when it is dead simple to do and saves tedious work that others won't have to do later. ☺️
When we got ours in 2019 we did the low tech version, we could have used the QR code option but didnt. We queued to get a number, then worked out how many an hour they were processing.
We just calculated roughly from how long they were open v what number they were up to. We were only about 15 mins out (early).

If anyone has a definitive answer as to whether the online application actually does expire at some point, please do share
I'm not holding my breath but if someone has such a definite answer they ought to let us also know how long the online application is valid. 24 hours? 2 days?

I like to check things before I write about them. As it happened, I made an online application and received a confirmation code on the 22nd of March. I also made a screenshot although that is not required. When I checked the code today, it still said: 2203XXXX is in the process of preparation. It is now the 25th of March and my online application has obviously not yet been zapped.

I'm going to check again in April. 🤓

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can't give you a step by step guide but I can give you the link where you fill out the application form which is the first step. The form is available as a translation into different languages including English. The translations are bad and they've done nothing to correct it.

The application form is on the website of the Oficina del Peregrino http://oficinadelperegrino.com. Go to the tab Registro or Register. You see two options: Single and Groups in English, or Individual and Grupos in Spanish.

Single/Individual is what you want. Choose it and fill in your application form.

Groups/Grupos requires a Username and a password. I don't know how to get that.

PS: You either go directly to the Oficina website by typing or copy/pasting the link above which you can do on a mobile phone from anywhere or you scan, in an albergue or at the Oficina, a QR code that takes you to the website. When completed they email and/or text you an alphanumeric code which is confirmation that you have successfully submitted your application.
Thank you. I am on the CF now and saw this feed and registered this AM.

1. Go to this URL:

Acceso agencias

4. Submit the form.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Thank you!

Folks... I've just come back and read the replies and feel I may have been confused and misunderstood the original question. I thought this was about electronic credential replacing the original 'old fashion' paper credential. I have so little time at the moment so rarely get time to drop in to the forum and so I should have read the thread in more detail :oops: :)

I'm a smart-phone fan and love technology but I also love collecting my sellos. Anyway regardless... in my rush I thought that all my pilgrims would need to have the smart-phone credential... so I panicked and hence my question. :confused: :)

The last time I collected my credential was 2019... it was in December I was alone in the pilgrims office with 5 members of staff so no queuing was needed and before this it was October 2019 when it was very busy and we arrived and collected a ticket which told us the hour we should return. We never visited the Pilgrims Office when we finished last year so I'm clearly out of touch with any new systems... and I will need to do some research to get up to date.

I have registered my details online now via the above link and I have a code and QR code so I'll carry this with me and I'll advise the rest of my group to do the same.

Thanks for all the links and information

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have registered my details online now via the above link and I have a code and QR code so I'll carry this with me and I'll advise the rest of my group to do the same.
There is still some question about the length of time the code is valid for, so do keep an eye on things.. you can always register again and get a new code closer to Santiago if need be. And you are familiar with the process now!

@t2andreo - Can you weigh in on the process for a group?
A group works similar to an individual, except that one person enters all the data for the group before arriving at Santiago. On the web site, there is an option for forming a group online. However, in practice, I recall most group folks having problems with this process. I cannot recall why.

The ALTERNATIVE is to do it sort of the old-fashioned way, the group leaders tells the security person at the portal that they are a group of X pilgrims. The leader should have all the already completed credencials in their possession. The inside right cover needs to be completely filled out so the leader has the information he or she needs to provide all the needed information to the Pilgrim Office process.

Most likely, the security person will direct the leader (ONLY) to the adjacent group office. Here there were two computer terminals. The leader sits down at one and inputs all the data for all group members.

Once done, someone behind the counter will collect the credencials and provide a receipt with a report back time to pick up the credencials, Compostelas and Distance Certificates (if requested). Easy peasy.

In this group process, ONLY the group leader enters the Pilgrim Office - less chance for infection spread.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I forgot to mention that when you submit individual data you receive a QR code in return by text and e-mail. Just above the code panel is an Alphanumeric number - WRITE THIS NUMBER DOWN.

It is the key to the staff easily accessing your submitted data. Presumably, it it also in the encoded QR PANEL.

Oddly enough, when I was there in September 2021, and believe it or not, the counter staff doing the interviews did not have QR code readers attached to their workstations. They actually used that alphanumeric code to find and access the data you pre-submitted electronically. this may have changed since last September.

Hope this helps.

Tom

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I forgot to mention that when you submit individual data you receive a QR code in return by text and e-mail.
Oddly enough, when I was there in September 2021, and believe it or not, the counter staff doing the interviews did not have QR code readers attached to their workstations.
I am surprised to read repeatedly that one receives a QR code by text and email.

Since the start of this system, I've gone through the process of submitting an application for a Compostela a few times. Not once did I receive a QR code by text and email. It is always and has always been an alphanumeric code consisting of 8 digits/letters. No QR code. Title and text simply say: 2203EPH6 has been registered correctly.

I guess that the counter staff handing out the Compostelas do not have QR code readers attached to their workstations because the pilgrims do not receive QR codes that they could present for reading.

Last edited:
In the absence of any online or app-based instructions about when to fill in the registry form for a Compostela, not to mention the abysmal translation of the form from Spanish into a number of foreign languages, one can make only guesses about the intentions of the contracting agency (Pilgrim Office) and the designers of this IT system.

Two points:
  • The Digital Credential (please note: simply mentioning its existence does not mean endorsement) has a geolocation-based feature that gets activated as soon as you enter the Santiago region. The app then allows you to register for your Compostela.
  • According to reports, the digital registration system will allow the Pilgrims Office to better manage their daily work and their use of their human resources (employees and volunteers) because they can better anticipate the influx of pilgrims on a daily basis and plan accordingly.
This would indicate that they prefer you to register early on the day of your arrival in Santiago and/or the day when you wish to pick up your Compostela.

According to reports, the digital registration system will allow the Pilgrims Office to better manage their daily work and their use of their human resources (employees and volunteers) because they can better anticipate the influx of pilgrims on a daily basis and plan accordingly.
I think that it also cuts down on the use and waste of paper.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When faced with the baked-in inconsistency of Spanish bureaucracy in all sectors, including the Camino and Pilgrim Office, I just grin and bear it. I regard it as part of the charm of the experience.

In my direct observation, it seems to happen when logic, efficiency and automation conflict with the much more fluid, relaxed and subjective culture found across Southern Europe. It is what it is.

Viva España! I embrace this culture when I am fortunate to be there and work extra hard to not judge.

I figure the folks who invented siesta MUST be on to something good. I LOVE my daily siesta - even at home.

Hope this helps,

Tom

I embrace this culture when I am fortunate to be there and work extra hard to not judge.
OK, but more precisely, this is my question and it has been my question for a long time: Did you or anyone else ever receive a QR code in email or text or did everybody only receive an alphanumeric code, consisting of a combination of 8 digits and letters?

Note: We are talking about the content of the email and text message that people receive who have entered their data into the online registry for applying for a Compostela.

Late last year we saw both, but ignored the QR element as the only thing relevant was the alpha numerical code and there was no means to read the QR code anyway.

A few days ago when I registered out of curiosity, there was just an alpha numerical code in both email and SMS.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Late last year we saw both, but ignored the QR element as the only thing relevant was the alpha numerical code, there was no means to read the QR code.
Thanks. I know that a QR code appears on the screen/website. One would have to make a screenshot to save it. I also know that not everybody knows how to do a screenshot on a smartphone.

Hence my question: Does the QR code even get mailed and texted. If not, the advice earlier in the thread ought to be corrected because it only confuses people who are unsure about the process and do not need irrelevant and superfluous information.

Hence my question: Does the QR code even get mailed and texted. If not, the advice earlier in the thread ought to be corrected because it only confuses people who are unsure about the process and do not need irrelevant and superfluous information.

I thought my advice in post 13 was very clear and direct. I made no mention of a QR code at all.

I thought my advice in post 13 was very clear and direct. I made no mention of a QR code at all.
I know that you didn't ... :cool:. And your advice in post #13 is indeed all that is needed. But you know what forum threads are like ... you have first-hand experience of this from the other side of the desk, right?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Blimey. I thought walking the Camino would be the hard bit but it looks like that's a metaphorical walk in the park compared to getting a Compostela! :oops:

I've never done a Camino before so I have no knowledge of the process other than what has been written in this thread but let me try and capture some of the main points and then let's see if I've got it right. So here goes........

Before I get to the office in Santiago:
  1. I can find the application form on the website of the Oficina del Peregrino https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/ under the "Register" tab. I can make an application any time I choose and I will be sent (by email and/or text) an alphanumeric code. I'm walking at the end of May/early June and could, theoretically, make my application right now.
  2. I should keep the alphanumeric in a safe and sensible place. One good suggestion is writing it on my Camino passport.
At the office in Santiago
  1. When I arrive at the Pilgrims' Office I show my alphanumeric code to a volunteer who says "Great! This means you've already entered most of the information we need and we will be able to access your application quickly by entering this number when it's your turn. Come on in, take a ticket and join the queue".
  2. Sadly, my alphanumeric code does NOT get me into a priority fast-track line. In fact the alphanumeric code is nothing to do with the queueing system. That's why I have to take a ticket and join the queue.
  3. If I have my mobile phone with me I can check my queue ticket number and get some indication of how long it might be before my number comes up. This means I can go and have a coffee or perhaps even a badly needed foot massage.
Now back to the experts.

How did I do?

Blimey. I thought walking the Camino would be the hard bit but it looks like that's a metaphorical walk in the park compared to getting a Compostela! :oops:
Yeah, that’s why I asked, and I don’t even need to get the compostela.

Just asking for a friend 😃

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Once you register your details, you will immediately receive an email and a text. I did it just now for the hell of it to demonstrate, here's the text, lookit:

View attachment 121130
Save the SMS with the code, or for simplicity, just write it on your credencial as this will speed things up for everybody. When you arrive at the office, show it to the guy on the door and he will admit you.
View attachment 121129
I am now a volunteer at the Pilgrims Office
Indeed you have to fill in a form at the website of the Pilgrims Office and fill in some questions from which the multiple answers unfortunately are in Spanish but with some understading you will able to fill in the form
Then after completing it you get a number and a QR code in your e mail

When you arrive in Santiago at the Pilgrims office scan the QR code and you get a ticket with a number to go into in the office
Get in as soon as your number is shown at the big screen above the door and show the QR code on your telephone to the staff
So we can find your registration and your correct names .
There is a big problem understanding each other due to you and we are wearing masks (obliged in every public building in Spain)
and in between is a perspex glass window and lot of noise in the office
So please fill in the form as complete as possible and write down your personal information in your credential on beforehand so we have all your information in the computer and written on your credential. That works the fastest for you and us behind the counter to make your Compostela ready for you.

If you want a certificate of distance too be sure to have ready the information such as where you started your camino and when. A certificate of distance shows how many kms you have walked .
This certificate costs 3 €

Get in as soon as your number is shown at the big screen above the door and show the QR code on your telephone to the staff
So we can find your registration and your correct names
Do the counter staff now have the means to scan the actual QR code from your phone to access your details or are they still using the 8 digit code to find your information as was the case last year?

Yes I agree, the use of face masks, the plexiglass screens and the ambient noise in the building (particularly in the late afternoon) can make communication between staff and pilgrims difficult and tiring. It requires a lot of patience from all...

Indeed you have to fill in a form at the website of the Pilgrims Office and fill in some questions from which the multiple answers unfortunately are in Spanish but with some understading you will able to fill in the form

When you arrive in Santiago at the Pilgrims office scan the QR code and you get a ticket with a number to go into in the office
There is a big problem understanding each other due to you and we are wearing masks (obliged in every public building in Spain)
So please fill in the form as complete as possible and write down your personal information in your credential on beforehand so we have all your information in the computer and written on your credential. That works the fastest for you and us behind the counter to make your Compostela ready for you.

If you want a certificate of distance too be sure to have ready the information such as where you started your camino and when. A certificate of distance shows how many kms you have walked .
Thank you for explaining because I registered online as you described, got a QR code but then no instructions as to what to do in santiago. Hoping to arrive tomorrow Saturday by 2 pm so hopefully will get my Compostela Saturday.

Albertinho - I greatly appreciate your post especially as you are a current volunteer in the office!

Can you please clarify if the two references you make to a QR code are the same QR code?

You have said that on registration "you get a number and a QR code in your email" and then "at the Pilgrim's Office scan the QR code" so my question is:

1. Are you saying that when you get to the Pilgrims' office you need to scan the QR code that you got in your email? (and if "yes" can anyone give me an idiots' guide on how I use my iPhone to scan a QR code that is on my iPhone?) or....
2. Are you saying that when you get to the Pilgrims' office you need to scan the QR code that is displayed in the office?

Hope I don't come across as a total pedant but I know that when I am clear about a process others are clear too! :)

Thank you for explaining because I registered online as you described, got a QR code but then no instructions as to what to do in santiago. Hoping to arrive tomorrow Saturday by 2 pm so hopefully will get my Compostela Saturday.
Colette,

Congratulations in advance!

Once the Santiago Effect has worn off a little, do you think you could find time to explain what happened once you got to the Pilgrims' Office?
Did you have an alphanumeric code? Did you use it?
Did you scan a QR code? Which QR code did you scan and how?

Please, please walk us through the process of what happens. That would be so useful.

Good luck tomorrow! I am sure it will be another memorable day for you.

Colette,

Congratulations in advance!

Once the Santiago Effect has worn off a little, do you think you could find time to explain what happened once you got to the Pilgrims' Office?
Did you have an alphanumeric code? Did you use it?
Did you scan a QR code? Which QR code did you scan and how?

Please, please walk us through the process of what happens. That would be so useful.

Good luck tomorrow! I am sure it will be another memorable day for you.
Will do!

Albertinho - I greatly appreciate your post especially as you are a current volunteer in the office!

Can you please clarify if the two references you make to a QR code are the same QR code?

You have said that on registration "you get a number and a QR code in your email" and then "at the Pilgrim's Office scan the QR code" so my question is:

1. Are you saying that when you get to the Pilgrims' office you need to scan the QR code that you got in your email? (and if "yes" can anyone give me an idiots' guide on how I use my iPhone to scan a QR code that is on my iPhone?) or....
2. Are you saying that when you get to the Pilgrims' office you need to scan the QR code that is displayed in the office?

Hope I don't come across as a total pedant but I know that when I am clear about a process others are clear
I will make some pictures tomorrow to show you how to get the printed ticket to enter in the office
Without this ticket and no QR code on phone you won’t get admitance to the office.
If you have no smartphone or can’t get registrated at The website, you can fill in a form by hand and we put your info by habd into the computer system.

I have with my apologies to you all slightly correct my post

Register yourself at the website of the Pilgrims Office as I mentioned before
You will receive a text message that you are registrated and you’ll get an e-mail with a QR code
As soon as you’ll arrive at the entrance of the Pilgrims Office show your QR code to the Security in front of the door

so I have to correct my earlier reply a bit
At the moment it is like this in the Pilgrims office.
Before entering you have to fill in an online form on beforehand .
Once arriving in Rua Carreras no. 33 in Santiago outside you wait in line untill it is your turn to get in. Once it is your turn , the security hands over a ticket to you with a number .
With this number you may enter the office when your number appears on a big screen above the door. You will go to the window which number is mentioned on the big screen too.
Please have your have your name filled in at your credential in a proper handwriting
We first stamp the last stamp of the Cathedral at your credential.
Then we ask for the QR code which was sent to you by e-mail so keep it ready on your mobile phone.
We search for your name in latin to fill in at your Compostela certificate
The Compostela is written in latin and your name is a part of the text of the Compostela. lots of Pilgrims think we write your name wrong but it is not.

You can apply for a certificate of distance too
This certificate has a Spanish ( Castillano) text and we write down your proper names and the kilometers you walked as well the place you started from , the date you started and on which camino you were.
So please have this information ready for presentation. It works more efficiently for the volunteers behind the desk and you don’t have to wait too long.
A certificate of distance costs 3€
A carton tube to protect your certificates in your backpack costs 2 € .

In summertime and special holidays when the lines outside built up the Pilgrims Office will give you an approximate time to come to the Pilgrims Office once you registrate on lline on beforehand to avoid the Rua Carretas is full of pilgrims , lining up abd waiting for hours to get in.
But that is not now at the moment

Bom caminho
Albertinho
Volunteer at the Pilgrims Office Santiago de Compostela

I will make some pictures tomorrow to show you how to get the printed ticket to enter in the office
Without this ticket and no QR code on phone you won’t get admitance to the office.
If you have no smartphone or can’t get registrated at The website, you can fill in a form by hand and we put your info by habd into the computer system.

I have with my apologies to you all slightly correct my post

Register yourself at the website of the Pilgrims Office as I mentioned before
You will receive a text message that you are registrated and you’ll get an e-mail with a QR code
As soon as you’ll arrive at the entrance of the Pilgrims Office show your QR code to the Security in front of the door

so I have to correct my earlier reply a bit
At the moment it is like this in the Pilgrims office.
Before entering you have to fill in an online form on beforehand .
Once arriving in Rua Carreras no. 33 in Santiago outside you wait in line untill it is your turn to get in. Once it is your turn , the security hands over a ticket to you with a number .
With this number you may enter the office when your number appears on a big screen above the door. You will go to the window which number is mentioned on the big screen too.
Please have your have your name filled in at your credential in a proper handwriting
We first stamp the last stamp of the Cathedral at your credential.
Then we ask for the QR code which was sent to you by e-mail so keep it ready on your mobile phone.
We search for your name in latin to fill in at your Compostela certificate
The Compostela is written in latin and your name is a part of the text of the Compostela. lots of Pilgrims think we write your name wrong but it is not.

You can apply for a certificate of distance too
This certificate has a Spanish ( Castillano) text and we write down your proper names and the kilometers you walked as well the place you started from , the date you started and on which camino you were.
So please have this information ready for presentation. It works more efficiently for the volunteers behind the desk and you don’t have to wait too long.
A certificate of distance costs 3€
A carton tube to protect your certificates in your backpack costs 2 € .

In summertime and special holidays when the lines outside built up the Pilgrims Office will give you an approximate time to come to the Pilgrims Office once you registrate on lline on beforehand to avoid the Rua Carretas is full of pilgrims , lining up abd waiting for hours to get in.
But that is not now at the moment

Bom caminho
Albertinho
Volunteer at the Pilgrims Office Santiago de Compostela

Attachments

• 4E50F6E0-5068-4FD5-AEC9-01697CFC4A65.jpeg
    4E50F6E0-5068-4FD5-AEC9-01697CFC4A65.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 18
  • F05CDEBA-1E09-480E-829F-6F89914E0573.jpeg
    F05CDEBA-1E09-480E-829F-6F89914E0573.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 35F71F8D-891B-4082-9FA5-58FDDF5D318B.jpeg
    35F71F8D-891B-4082-9FA5-58FDDF5D318B.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 24
The QR code on the door of the pilgrims office which shows how to enter the Pilgrims Office .

Best regards
Albertinho

Attachments

• 82FD64DD-E8DA-45FC-BEBB-08E1F9588BBB.jpeg
    82FD64DD-E8DA-45FC-BEBB-08E1F9588BBB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • F2556C62-F166-4ABC-9B55-10009115707D.jpeg
    F2556C62-F166-4ABC-9B55-10009115707D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • 04023E60-8FF1-44E0-A38D-E85036319749.jpeg
    04023E60-8FF1-44E0-A38D-E85036319749.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
  • C3E8459D-7373-4DF7-87B9-D861A656B0D5.jpeg
    C3E8459D-7373-4DF7-87B9-D861A656B0D5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Its interesting -- I just went to the OP site to check out the registration form. We are starting in Irun and walking the Camino Vasco del Interior to Santo Domingo de la Calzada then continuing on the Frances to Ponferrada and finishing on the Camino de Invierno.

The Vasco is not listed as a route -- I assume because it does not end in Santiago, so that makes sense. So, I picked other caminos from the list. The problem is that when I pull down the starting point tab, neither Irun not Pais de Vasco are choices for starting points.

I guess I'll pick the Invierno for my route since that is what we will be walking to Santiago, and Ponferrada as our starting point.

I assume its not a big deal as this info only is relevant for the distance certificate. But the limits of the form will make the data collected by the Pilgrim's Office incomplete.

Its interesting -- I just went to the OP site to check out the registration form. We are starting in Irun and walking the Camino Vasco del Interior to Santo Domingo de la Calzada then continuing on the Frances to Ponferrada and finishing on the Camino de Invierno.

The Vasco is not listed as a route -- I assume because it does not end in Santiago, so that makes sense. So, I picked other caminos from the list. The problem is that when I pull down the starting point tab, neither Irun not Pais de Vasco are choices for starting points.

I guess I'll pick the Invierno for my route since that is what we will be walking to Santiago, and Ponferrada as our starting point.

I assume its not a big deal as this info only is relevant for the distance certificate. But the limits of the form will make the data collected by the Pilgrim's Office incomplete.
Once arriving in Santiago just mention you walked from Pais Basque and present your credential with stamps from there and see what happens.

The route from my home in the Netherlands to Santiago is not listed either but the other day they wrote out a certificate of distance to somebody who walked from his home in the Netherlands so why not from Pais Basque ?

Once arriving in Santiago just mention you walked from Pais Basque and present your credential with stamps from there and see what happens.

The route from my home in the Netherlands to Santiago is not listed either but the other day they wrote out a certificate of distance to somebody who walked from his home in the Netherlands so why not from Pais Basque ?
When you walk an unusual Camino it's best if you keep track of the distance yourself so the the volunteer in the Pilgrims Office doesn't have to calculate it themselves.

That's what I did when I asked for a distance certificate for my Frances/Salvador/Norte combo Camino. The volunteer was a little bewildered, and grateful that I had the distances worked out already.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The QR code on the door of the pilgrims office which shows how to enter the Pilgrims Office .

Best regards
Albertinho
Thank you, Albertinho. This is very helpful.

I have looked at all 3 QR codes that you have posted and they all seem to be identical. They all take me to the Oficina del Peregrino where I can register. It seems to me that they have nothing to do with the queueing system inside the office.

I am therefore assuming that if I have pre-registered my walk I do not need to use these QR codes when I arrive at the office. I can go straight to Step 2 which is to take a card from the security guard which will give me my queue number.

PS I found this online https://www.spainincoming.info/new-compostela-queuing-system/ which appears to explain how the queueing system works (except the security guard is a ticket machine!)

Very many thanks!!
I just did mine March 22, arrived by 9 am, celebrated in the square and took picture, went to office and got my certificate by 11 am. Do go there first, in case u need to beat the crowd. Then go celebrate in the square.

I know this is an old thread but I have found it very helpful in working my way through the registration process.
Later this year I will be walking with my wife and with my 3 adult children. I will celebrate a "big" birthday on the Camino.
Yesterday I registered all 5 of us using the link https://catedral.df-server.info/agencias/Banderas.aspx?ind=1
All seems to have gone reasonably well and I have received QR codes and bar codes for all 5 members of the family (as individuals not as a group).
Now I'm worrying that I didn't enter some of the data correctly and want to just check that everything is okay but can find no way back to review the entries. Maybe that's not possible. If I scan one of the QR codes I get the message "El grupo [number] está en proceso de preparación".
Am I worrying unnecessarily? Am I right in thinking that the data entered is a guide and (if necessary) could be corrected at the pilgrim's office?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Now I'm worrying that I didn't enter some of the data correctly and want to just check that everything is okay but can find no way back to review the entries. Maybe that's not possible. If I scan one of the QR codes I get the message "El grupo [number] está en proceso de preparación".
Am I worrying unnecessarily? Am I right in thinking that the data entered is a guide and (if necessary) could be corrected at the pilgrim's office?

Yes, relevant details can be corrected at the desk by the staff member without issue. But do point it out straight away when you arrive as you're handing in your credential.. and don't worry!

Last edited:
Yes, relevant details can be corrected at the desk by the staff member without issue. But do point it out straight away when you arrive as you're handing in your credential.. and don't worry!
🤗

If you're anxious or stressed about it, you can if you want, start again and get a new set of codes. Just delete and ignore the old ones, no harm done. Either way, it will be fine.

€60,-
If you're anxious or stressed about it, you can if you want, start again and get a new set of codes. Just delete and ignore the old ones, no harm done. Either way, it will be fine.
Thank you. Appreciate the advice and that’s a vary good idea!

As @Flog says, these things can be corrected by the Pilgrim Office. I found out when I arrived last year that I had inadvertently entered my birthdate in place of my departure date. The person at the desk gently raised an eyebrow and then corrected my mistake. It was quick and painless.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.