• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Approaching the Swiss border

Tassie Kaz

Sempre Avanti
Time of past OR future Camino
2024?
London to Rome

Excerpt from group email...

Day 32 walking
825km
Besançon, France

I always intended to write my next instalment from Besançon but I did not intend to be writing it this soon. I arrived two days earlier than planned. I didn't suddenly find untapped energy reserves nor did my trusty Salomon's sprout wings.
I took the modern day equivalent of the medieval pilgrim's donkey cart...le autobus.

Medial tibial stress syndrome; in plain English...which thankfully Docteur Pharmacien spoke, shin splints. Luckily just my left leg. A number of over 30km days in a row, a sudden jump in temperature (from snowing during my side trip to Luxembourg to high 20's) & the onset of rolling hills, something was bound to give.

I'd had a terrible day prior; a 34km slog to Langres in unseasonal heat. I was exhausted & doing that late-in-the-day staggering thing but the end was in sight. Langres is another rempart town perched high above the surrounding countryside. As I approached, I was level with the Cathedral & hoped I'd be walking a ridge to enter the walls rather than from the valley below.
But no, the road weaved & dipped ever down & the town slipped out of sight. I came around the bend & squinting into the sun, there it was; way, way up.
Just what I needed, a big climb.
I could have sat on the side of the road & cried. I didn't because;
a/ I had no energy or hydration to waste,
b/ it wouldn't have changed anything & I'd still be in the same position but it'd be 10 minutes later &
c/ I doubt anything other than a magically appearing shiny escalator would have made me feel better.

The next day to Champlitte was going to be about 37km. I walked 3km in the opposite direction to jump on the train & knock it down to a more-manageable-but-still-a-slog 30km. Doesn't sound like much but it saved 1.5 hours walking. I'd been having off & on pain down my left shin for a number of days but it eased enough overnight to walk the next day. This time it didn't. Those last 12-15km into Champlitte were agony. Nothing would ease it & unintentional tears were falling. I limped into the Champlitte Pharmacy to a 'Oh Mon Dieu!' from the staff who fetched the Pharmacist. She knew what it was straight off & said it's common amongst full Via Francigena walkers by this stage. Road walking, distances, camber of surfaces, etc.
My leg was elevated, I was ice-packed, strapped up & given anti-inflammatories. I was also told to rest my leg for at least 7 days.
Seven days.
'Is not possible oui?'
'Oui...is not possible.'
I was still 3 long walking days from Besançon where I'd planned a two night stay. The easiest & right thing to do was to go straight there the next day which would give me 4 nights recovery. With 1300km still to walk plus the Jura Mountains, the Swiss Alps & all the hills of Tuscany & co, bit of a no-brainer really.
Decision made, no second-guessing, no regrets, don't look back...
So here I am.

Until this little hiccup, I was well-into my walking zone. Yes, the language is doing my head in & the daily distances are more than I like. I keep being told by accommodation providers, Office de Tourisme staff & again by the Pharmacist I'm walking too far each day.
I know that.
All these people are kind & well-intentioned but they're used to European walkers who do a one week section per year covering about 15km a day. So I explain again, that I'm Australian with a visa time limit & I have to clock up the k's while the going is fairly flat (things will slow down considerably once mountains are involved). I will ease off in Switzerland & Italy...unfortunately my leg just couldn't hold out for the final push to the border.

I very much have my Walking Wild Woman look going on. I usually make some effort to keep things under control but not this trip. My concession to appearances this time is I try to remember to comb my hair in the morning. I have my Walkers Tan including two white disks around my eyes from my sunnies. I have my Surfie Chick platinum sun bleached hair...plus its usually standing on end with bugs meshed into it.
By the end of the day, the skin on my legs & arms are cracking dry with a crusty salty film. My clothes get surprisingly dirty each day & I've usually collected some kind of foliage somewhere. Yep..it's a real glamour-fest this long distance walking caper. I have however managed to avoid nettle stings during my 'off-piste' forays!

I love it, I love it all...problems, exhaustion, frustration, tears...whatever it is, hit me with it & on I go. Spoilt forever, I can't travel any other way now.

The last few weeks have brought changes in landscape, land use & architecture. There are more hills & woodlands. There are still crops but also livestock farming. The change in land-use means less opportunity for self-navigation & more road walking. I've walked canal paths but there's also been rivers & creeks. I realised it was natural features I was missing from my first weeks walking northern France. The daffodils are dying out but tulips are in full bloom. The sound of insects now accompany birds in the forest. The villages have gone from maison type housing to exposed timber framing & now stone. Large towns/small cities like Reims & Besançon ding with the sounds of trams which immediately takes me to Melbourne..just minus the MCG light towers in the background.

I'll get my leg sorted & I'll be on my way again Sunday. It's a bit shocking to me to see the names of places in Switzerland on signs. Wow...I've come so far & if I had to do a little skip to ensure I can go the whole way, so be it.
So to you all, it's Au Revoir from France & for me, it will be Au Revoir to France after nearly 5 weeks walking its length.
As always, I'm thankful for safe passage.

Sempre Avanti
👣🌏🎒👟

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ouch! You have my sympathies - both for the physical hurt and for the frustrations that you must have felt. Sounds like you have been wise in your decision though. Onwards and upwards - when you are ready for it!

Ouch! You have my sympathies - both for the physical hurt and for the frustrations that you must have felt. Sounds like you have been wise in your decision though. Onwards and upwards - when you are ready for it!
Thanks Bradypus. My leg is already feeling better...the ability of the body to heal with rest is amazing! And there are worse places you could be laid up than Besançon...it's quite lovely & I have all I need in close proximity. Appreciate your good wishes. 😊
👣🌏

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I hope you have the ability to listen to your body better than I listen to mine. Enjoy those rest days and REST!

Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I hope you have the ability to listen to your body better than I listen to mine. Enjoy those rest days and REST!

Buen camino!
Yep...I think we all tend to just 'carry on regardless'...usually hoping the problem will go away by itself. But eventually if you don't stop, your body stops you...& the older you get, the less leeway it gives you! 😁

Hold that thought...there's one coming up in Siena. Connects the station to the main city at the top. Just so you don't think you are seeing a mirage. Seeing Siena will also make you feel a lot better.

http://en.sienaparcheggi.com/en/1034/Train-Station-–-“Antiporto”-–-“Porta-Camollia”-Escalator.htm
View attachment 56033
Wow...amazing. Another one of those things that seems out of context; would be hard to believe your own eyes. I was last in Siena in 2010...it's still a lonnggg way away (June) but will be lovely to be there again. Might have to check out this escalator & go for a ride! 😁

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I love it, I love it all...problems, exhaustion, frustration, tears...whatever it is, hit me with it & on I go.
It's so good you have the good sense to listen to your leg and rest when it is needed, @kazrobbo . It all sounds amazing.
I hope it heals quickly and that your Salomons do sprout wings. ;)
Ultreia and buen camino!

It's so good you have the good sense to listen to your leg and rest when it is needed, @kazrobbo . It all sounds amazing.
I hope it heals quickly and that your Salomons do sprout wings. ;)
Ultreia and buen camino!
Thanks VN...I'll be on my way again tomorrow.
Just as well, I'm starting to look & act like a 'normal' person! The hair has been tamed & toned down, the skin moisturised & I'm even looking in shops other than the supermarket or boulangerie! Definitely time to get back on the trail... 😄
👣 🌏

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What an absolute treasure you are Bradypus (clever & computer savvy too!)...I LOVE IT!! You've made my day & given me a real lift. Thank you so much. 🌞 It's even complete with VF symbol!
You would perhaps recognise my avatar from your Shikoku pilgrimage?.. it's Mican, the Ehime prefecture mascot.
How's the countdown for your trip to the sunny shores (hopefully!..although we are heading towards winter..) of Aus 🇦🇺 coming along?

Last edited:
@kazrobbo I recognized the style but not the image in particular. I'll keep my eyes open for it though because I should be back in Japan in just over two weeks time. Some more of the Kumano Kodo and probably a couple more days on Shikoku too. I've bought myself a Japan Rail Pass for some high-speed tourism after my walking! Then heading for Sydney in early June. I timed my arrival specially for winter: we Scots tend to wilt when the temperature gets into the 30s :cool:

@kazrobbo I recognized the style but not the image in particular. I'll keep my eyes open for it though because I should be back in Japan in just over two weeks time. Some more of the Kumano Kodo and probably a couple more days on Shikoku too. I've bought myself a Japan Rail Pass for some high-speed tourism after my walking! Then heading for Sydney in early June. I timed my arrival specially for winter: we Scots tend to wilt when the temperature gets into the 30s :cool:
Some of us when it gets into the 20s... but to continue the appreciation of the makeover of the avatar, yes, super. I look forward to the next instalment on the VF. It helps to have seen some of the BBC programme. If shin splints mean very sore legs, don’t risk any more punishment, stop when you have to.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After Besancon it gets hilly with some rough and steep tracks. And I do mean immediately after Besancon. You are wise to take the time you can afford to make sure you are in decent shape for it. The Jura is beautiful but parts are hard going compared to all that flattish stuff behind you.

Some of us when it gets into the 20s... but to continue the appreciation of the makeover of the avatar, yes, super. I look forward to the next instalment on the VF. It helps to have seen some of the BBC programme. If shin splints mean very sore legs, don’t risk any more punishment, stop when you have to.
Thanks Kirkie. Yes...shin splints is lower leg pain, down the shin bone & involves inflammation of the muscles attached. Its usually associated with running (which I don't...ever...! 😅) but also by prolonged exercise especially on hard surfaces. In my case, walking roadside facing oncoming traffic with the camber of the road meant I'm always walking on an uneven angle which hasn't helped. Going out for a test walk up & down the Besançon Citadelle now but back on the trail tomorrow regardless! 😯 🤗

I had shin splints on my final leg to complete the Camino Frances (which for me was to reach Leon) I pushed on for a day and a half to finish. But getting back to Dublin I couldn't drive my car, and I was laid up for a few days and it took a good week of rest but even then it was still wasn't very comfortable walking. I have very very vague memories of the trip from Leon to Madrid airport because of some strong painkillers.
Doctor at home suggested it is always a risk for me due to structure of my feet and ankles, and occasionally I get twinges in my shins while walking
When I get a twinge I stop and rest and normally it eases enough to continue.
So take it easy and take lots of breaks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just finished a 30k day on the VDLP and was feeling tired. You made me want to do another 20 before cena :) It must be something in the Australian water. You always seem to want to push the limits. Best wishes.

I had shin splints on my final leg to complete the Camino Frances (which for me was to reach Leon) I pushed on for a day and a half to finish. But getting back to Dublin I couldn't drive my car, and I was laid up for a few days and it took a good week of rest but even then it was still wasn't very comfortable walking. I have very very vague memories of the trip from Leon to Madrid airport because of some strong painkillers.
Doctor at home suggested it is always a risk for me due to structure of my feet and ankles, and occasionally I get twinges in my shins while walking
When I get a twinge I stop and rest and normally it eases enough to continue.
So take it easy and take lots of breaks!
I learnt my lesson on a previous (non-walking) trip. Ruptured two ligaments in my left foot falling down stairs (ok...there was just 3 steps & I tripped on the bottom one...but it was enough to do the damage) in Innsbruck, Austria. I was taken to hospital & told to stay off it for 3-4 weeks. Obviously I couldn't do that as I was travelling so as soon as I could walk, I did. Result?..instead of taking 6 weeks to heal, it took 9 months... Perhaps we do get wiser as we get older but one thing is for sure, we don't quite bounce back as well or as quickly!
👣 🌏

Just finished a 30k day on the VDLP and was feeling tired. You made me want to do another 20 before cena :) It must be something in the Australian water. You always seem to want to push the limits. Best wishes.
Thanks for your thoughts John...& if it makes you ease off the throttle a tad then my work here is done.
All the best with your VdlP (that combined with the Mozarabe is my walk for 2020). Safe & happy trails...& within your limits! 😊

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After Besancon it gets hilly with some rough and steep tracks. And I do mean immediately after Besancon. You are wise to take the time you can afford to make sure you are in decent shape for it. The Jura is beautiful but parts are hard going compared to all that flattish stuff behind you.
Oh no!...thanks for the warning Bradypus. I gathered by the hills all around Besançon I'd at least be tackling some straight off. It's cold & wet here (your kind of weather!) so slipperiness will be a factor too. I'm headed for Ornans tomorrow & then have a short haul to Lods the day after...just in case of any niggles/relapses. I'm feeling confident in my leg which is important.
Enjoy your final preps in the lead-up to Japan...not long for you now! 🗻🚄

London to Rome

Day 32 walking
825km
Besançon, France

I always intended to write my next instalment from Besançon but I did not intend to be writing it this soon. I arrived two days earlier than planned. I didn't suddenly find untapped energy reserves nor did my trusty Salomon's sprout wings.
I took the modern day equivalent of the medieval pilgrim's donkey cart...le autobus.

Medial tibial stress syndrome; in plain English...which thankfully Docteur Pharmacien spoke, shin splints. Luckily just my left leg. A number of over 30km days in a row, a sudden jump in temperature (from snowing during my side trip to Luxembourg to high 20's) & the onset of rolling hills, something was bound to give.

I'd had a terrible day prior; a 34km slog to Langres in unseasonal heat. I was exhausted & doing that late-in-the-day staggering thing but the end was in sight. Langres is another rempart town perched high above the surrounding countryside. As I approached, I was level with the Cathedral & hoped I'd be walking a ridge to enter the walls rather than from the valley below.
But no, the road weaved & dipped ever down & the town slipped out of sight. I came around the bend & squinting into the sun, there it was; way, way up.
b/ it wouldn't have changed anything & I'd still be in the same position but it'd be 10 minutes later &
c/ I doubt anything other than a magically appearing shiny escalator would have made me feel better.

The next day to Champlitte was going to be about 37km. I walked 3km in the opposite direction to jump on the train & knock it down to a more-manageable-but-still-a-slog 30km. Doesn't sound like much but it saved 1.5 hours walking. I'd been having off & on pain down my left shin for a number of days but it eased enough overnight to walk the next day. This time it didn't. Those last 12-15km into Champlitte were agony. Nothing would ease it & unintentional tears were falling. I limped into the Champlitte Pharmacy to a 'Oh Mon Dieu!' from the staff who fetched the Pharmacist. She knew what it was straight off & said it's common amongst full Via Francigena walkers by this stage. Road walking, distances, camber of surfaces, etc.
My leg was elevated, I was ice-packed, strapped up & given anti-inflammatories. I was also told to rest my leg for at least 7 days.
Seven days.
'Is not possible oui?'
'Oui...is not possible.'
I was still 3 long walking days from Besançon where I'd planned a two night stay. The easiest & right thing to do was to go straight there the next day which would give me 4 nights recovery. With 1300km still to walk plus the Jura Mountains, the Swiss Alps & all the hills of Tuscany & co, bit of a no-brainer really.
So here I am.

Until this little hiccup, I was well-into my walking zone. Yes, the language is doing my head in & the daily distances are more than I like. I keep being told by accommodation providers, Office de Tourisme staff & again by the Pharmacist I'm walking too far each day.
I know that.
All these people are kind & well-intentioned but they're used to European walkers who do a one week section per year covering about 15km a day. So I explain again, that I'm Australian with a visa time limit & I have to clock up the k's while the going is fairly flat (things will slow down considerably once mountains are involved). I will ease off in Switzerland & Italy...unfortunately my leg just couldn't hold out for the final push to the border.

I very much have my Walking Wild Woman look going on. I usually make some effort to keep things under control but not this trip. My concession to appearances this time is I try to remember to comb my hair in the morning. I have my Walkers Tan including two white disks around my eyes from my sunnies. I have my Surfie Chick platinum sun bleached hair...plus its usually standing on end with bugs meshed into it.
By the end of the day, the skin on my legs & arms are cracking dry with a crusty salty film. My clothes get surprisingly dirty each day & I've usually collected some kind of foliage somewhere. Yep..it's a real glamour-fest this long distance walking caper. I have however managed to avoid nettle stings during my 'off-piste' forays!

I love it, I love it all...problems, exhaustion, frustration, tears...whatever it is, hit me with it & on I go. Spoilt forever, I can't travel any other way now.

The last few weeks have brought changes in landscape, land use & architecture. There are more hills & woodlands. There are still crops but also livestock farming. The change in land-use means less opportunity for self-navigation & more road walking. I've walked canal paths but there's also been rivers & creeks. I realised it was natural features I was missing from my first weeks walking northern France. The daffodils are dying out but tulips are in full bloom. The sound of insects now accompany birds in the forest. The villages have gone from maison type housing to exposed timber framing & now stone. Large towns/small cities like Reims & Besançon ding with the sounds of trams which immediately takes me to Melbourne..just minus the MCG light towers in the background.

I'll get my leg sorted & I'll be on my way again Sunday. It's a bit shocking to me to see the names of places in Switzerland on signs. Wow...I've come so far & if I had to do a little skip to ensure I can go the whole way, so be it.
So to you all, it's Au Revoir from France & for me, it will be Au Revoir to France after nearly 5 weeks walking its length.

Sempre Avanti
👣🌏🎒👟
I’m walking the Francigena in late August, all the way to Rome from Gran San Bernardo. Love your story & wish you well. 👣

I’m walking the Francigena in late August, all the way to Rome from Gran San Bernardo. Love your story & wish you well. 👣

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
London to Rome

Day 32 walking
825km
Besançon, France

Seven days.
'Is not possible oui?'
'Oui...is not possible.'
So here I am.

I know that.

Sempre Avanti
👣🌏🎒👟
What about some compression socks. A link to Amazon here. Link is not much use but you could show a hiking store. I had same problem a few years ago. Laid up twice. I’m trying these now.

SB SOX Compression Calf Sleeves (20-30mmHg) for Men & Women - Perfect Option to Our Compression Socks - for Running, Shin Splint, Medical, Travel, Nursing, Cycling, and Leg Pain (Gray/Black, X-Large)
SB SOX
$24.95 $6.95

What about some compression socks. A link to Amazon here. Link is not much use but you could show a hiking store. I had same problem a few years ago. Laid up twice. I’m trying these now.

SB SOX Compression Calf Sleeves (20-30mmHg) for Men & Women - Perfect Option to Our Compression Socks - for Running, Shin Splint, Medical, Travel, Nursing, Cycling, and Leg Pain (Gray/Black, X-Large)
SB SOX
$24.95 $6.95
Thanks for that Craig...there really is something for everything these days! Would be interested to hear how you go with them. I got back on the trail today without any problems so hope there's no reoccurance.
👣🌏

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for that Craig...there really is something for everything these days! Would be interested to hear how you go with them. I got back on the trail today without any problems so hope there's no reoccurance.
👣🌏
I’ve bought them and used them on a couple of small walks. I had terrible shin splints on my first camino.

The other thing we did was put in some good scholl shoe inserts. They say they can reduce heel shock by 40%. I’m not sure but I’ve done 4 more caminos with no shin splints. Most pharmacies or sports shops have them. Get the best you can. You feet deserve it. 👣👣👣

I’ve bought them and used them on a couple of small walks. I had terrible shin splints on my first camino.

The other thing we did was put in some good scholl shoe inserts. They say they can reduce heel shock by 40%. I’m not sure but I’ve done 4 more caminos with no shin splints. Most pharmacies or sports shops have them. Get the best you can. You feet deserve it. 👣👣👣
I'm hoping it's just the particular set of conditions of the French section of the Via Francigena. Up until now, I've had no problems on any of my long distance walks (over 8,000 'official' kms & probably double that in 'normal' walks & trip prep) & it took 30 days on this one for it to become an issue. I'm in the camp of 'prevention is better than cure' so it's good to know of simple remedies tried & trusted by others. Thanks for your input & may your future walks be shin-splint free! 🤞 😊

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.