• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Appropriate times for walking during the day

irishmancamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2013
Hi all,

I hope everyone is well.

I leave Dublin for Biarritz and onto SJPdP on this Weds 12th. It's all a bit surreal to think I'll have started my Camino in a few days! Getting a bit nervous but I think that's only natural!

From what I've gathered, it's best to walk first thing in the morning, then try to avoid the heat of the midday sun.

Do pilgrims usually stop and check into albergues then for the day or do pilgrims rest while the sun is at its hottest and continue on in the late afternoon? Or does it all depend on what stage you are at on the route?

Experiences from previous pilgrims would be terrific.

I look forward to meeting everyone on The Road starting next week.

Buen Camino!

Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Joe, All will be well. You will find your rhythm. You know from reading on forum that there many different types of walkers. In my case I'm often last to leave albergue in the morning. Yes, in the summer afternoon heat you can feel quite dry even drinking lots of water. I've seen queues outside albergues before 1pm and this would amuse me. So you are facing on a great adventure. Be yourself as this is your Camino. You might surprise yourself at the distances you will be able to walk, and the power this brings to you as you are immersed in your adventure.

Buen Camino.

My walking times varied depending on a few things, whether I stayed in a pension, whether I walked with others, whether the terrain was flat, whether it was raining. In general though, I walked (in June/July) from 6.30/7am until the early/mid afternoon, pretty much until I had walked an average of 25kms.

My best advice, don't over plan and just take one day at a time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
First of all, weather-wise, its been a crazy year, almost no spring and right now cool and rainy from Burgos until Astorga. You may not need to worry about the heat, you Irish don't have to worry about rain its endemic for you people! Should you find far too many people competing for far too few places in the albergues, ignore the stages in the guidebooks(a good idea in any case) and stop just before the recommended stage. After a day or so you will be walking the same distance with less worry. People usually walk on forwards if the albergue(s) are fill so stopping before is a good plan.

irishmancamino said:
Hi all,

I hope everyone is well.

I leave Dublin for Biarritz and onto SJPdP on this Weds 12th. It's all a bit surreal to think I'll have started my Camino in a few days! Getting a bit nervous but I think that's only natural!

From what I've gathered, it's best to walk first thing in the morning, then try to avoid the heat of the midday sun.

Do pilgrims usually stop and check into albergues then for the day or do pilgrims rest while the sun is at its hottest and continue on in the late afternoon? Or does it all depend on what stage you are at on the route?

Experiences from previous pilgrims would be terrific.

I look forward to meeting everyone on The Road starting next week.

Buen Camino!

Joe

Hi Joe,

First, congratulations on your upcoming walk! Understandable to be nervous, but once you get into your rhythm, you won't look back.

I have met those who do stop in the middle of the day, use the refugio, and then leave in the evening to walk a bit more. Sometimes this is a great idea. It's nice to walk in the evening depending on the heat of course. The one down side to this is taking a bed and another might be turned away just to have it open later. If not a popular stop or if one tells the hospitalero first, then maybe no harm.

I like to start between 6-7 and prefer to "finish" before 13:30. If the rest of the room is getting up and moving before this, I'll do the same. I really like to walk just before sunrise, but won't unless the rest of the room is awake. My pack is prepared the night before, and I sleep in my clothes for the next day. My watch alarm beeps once, I grab my sleep-sheet, pack, boots with socks in them, and go out to the hallway or common area. I can be on my way in 5 minutes after quick teeth brush.

I have a pretty good pace which I thoroughly enjoy and can go for hours without stopping. In this time (ex: 7:00-13:00), I can cover a bit over 30km and enjoy every step, stopping to check feet if needed, cafe' con leche/chocolate croissant, play with puppies. I don't usually have trouble getting bed since I arrive "early", but I do see tons of people near the end at the "popular" stages in queue.

For me, the hot sun in the afternoon is no fun. I've only walked in the summer, June/July, so I understand your concern. There are cooler days when I'm walking with others and have no problem going into late afternoon. Those are really fun, maybe a slower pace, stop for long lunch, enjoy a bottle of wine, talk with a herder, get lost.

May you have the best of all journeys Joe.

Trust in the arrows,
Simeon

In tropical climes there are certain times of day
When all the citizens retire,
to tear their clothes off and perspire.
It's one of those rules that the biggest fools obey,
Because the sun is much too sultry and one must avoid
its ultry-violet ray --
Papalaka-papalaka-papalaka-boo. (Repeat)
Digariga-digariga-digariga-doo. (Repeat)
The natives grieve when the white men leave their huts,
Because they're obviously, absolutely nuts --

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.
The Japanese don't care to, the Chinese wouldn't dare to,
Hindus and Argentines sleep firmly from twelve to one,
But Englishmen detest a siesta,

Obviously it depends on the weather but if it is hot best to take a long lunch. Even so a good sun hat is better then heat stroke.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
hello joe,

try to start early between 6:00 to 7:00 am if posible. the afternoon sun can be relentlessly hot and muggy. also you will be arriving at your next municipal albergue early and have a better change of getting a bed.

buen camino and god bless.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
mralisn said:
I have met those who do stop in the middle of the day, use the refugio, and then leave in the evening to walk a bit more. Sometimes this is a great idea. It's nice to walk in the evening depending on the heat of course. The one down side to this is taking a bed and another might be turned away just to have it open later. If not a popular stop or if one tells the hospitalero first, then maybe no harm.

Simeon, I'm curious how people go about this? Do they pay for a bed and then ask for their money back, or just pay and give up the money if they decide to walk on in the evening?

I love walking at home in the cool of the evening after a hot day. It doesn't always cool down in Spain though...here's a photo from my last walk taken in the evening outside the Leon Parador.

Attachments

• IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 973
Hi brawblether,

Yes, I have seen those who arrive early afternoon, pay for bed, shower, wash, nap, prepare food, and then continue for a few more hours in the evening. Most take the chance to find another place later in the eve or opt to spend the night under the stars. For example, one could arrive near 13:00 and leave 19:00. I have not seen anyone ask for money back or expect it.

This is very rare.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there
I am just back from the first half of the CAMINO, St jean to Sahagun and the weather was mostly cold windy and often wet with the paths very muddy and slippy. Waterproof Shoes with thick soles are needed, good spare insoles and plenty socks (always wear 2 pairs), have a good poncho and rucksack cover and a stick is essential as are earplugs-needle,thread and scissors. Some afternoons could get very warm -wide but rain could follow. The warm weather reports from ireland were so surprising. If you book ahead to private Albergues you could walk in the evening but remember lights out at 10pm and you will miss exploring the wonderful towns etc- get to tourist office for local map -the excellent evening meals, the great company and banter. You will have showering, clothes washing and drying to do. The noise of nearby pelegrinos will wake you about 6.10. Avoid big daytime meals-etc. Buy some soup/tea/coffe saches there and Keep pack light!!!!
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back