• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Approximately three weeks available, late May into June 2015... where to start?

Mark2012

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012, 2014) Camino Finisterre (2012, 2013, 2014) Camino Portugues (2013), Camino del Norte (2015)
Hello all,

I think I'm finally going to walk the Norte this year, or at least a substantial chunk of it, and so am looking for a little practical advice related to time and distance.

I say 'finally' because around this time last year I was thinking about walking the Norte, but ultimately decided to walk the Francais from St Jean to the coast for a second time. In hindsight, while I had an enjoyable time, I think it might have been a better call to walk a new route, but c'est la vie.

Anyway, so, 2015 may well be the Norte year for me. However, I do not expect to have 5 weeks at my disposal. Barring unforeseen and pleasant circumstances, I expect to have a maximum of 3 weeks available to me. That being the case, I'm open-minded as to where to start. All things being equal, I would start from Irun, walk all the way to Santiago and on to the coast, but I won't have that time, so that scenario is off the table.

Having walked to Santiago in each of the last three years (Frances 2012, 2014, Portugues from Porto 2013), I feel no particular compulsion to reach 'the end' this year, though I'm certainly not opposed to it. That creates the scenario where I might start from Irun and go as far as I can, or perhaps start from Bilbao and make it to Santiago. Those look like the two options. So, I'm wondering which of those strategies might best lend itself to maximising the Norte experience? I know it's not the kind of question that can be answered in a categorical manner, but I would be curious to read whatever thoughts people may have on the matter.

Mark

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Mark,

If I were you, I'd just start from Irun and keep going - if you start from Irun you'll get to experience some of the amazing cities along the Basque coast (you can't miss San Sebastian, and Guernica, the scene of Picasso's painting), followed by the beautiful historical coastal towns of Cantabria (like Castro Urdiales which was linked to the Knights Templar, or the exquisite San Vicente de la Barquera), and then on into the distinctive culture of Asturias, with its 'indiano' architecture, cave art, and apple trees (for the best cider in the world!)

3 weeks should comfortably get you to Gijon, or else you can veer inland to Oviedo, both of which have good transport links. I would add that if time's an issue I wouldn't hesitate about catching a bus through the industrial areas into/out of busy port cities like Bilbao, Santander, and Gijon (I know that, like life, the Camino comes with the good the bad and the ugly, but walking a full day through 'Portugalete' or 'Aviles' is enough to depress even the most spirited of pilgrims…)

Anyway that's just my two cents! Happy planning! :)

Hi Mark,

If I were you, I'd just start from Irun and keep going - if you start from Irun you'll get to experience some of the amazing cities along the Basque coast (you can't miss San Sebastian, and Guernica, the scene of Picasso's painting), followed by the beautiful historical coastal towns of Cantabria (like Castro Urdiales which was linked to the Knights Templar, or the exquisite San Vicente de la Barquera), and then on into the distinctive culture of Asturias, with its 'indiano' architecture, cave art, and apple trees (for the best cider in the world!)

3 weeks should comfortably get you to Gijon, or else you can veer inland to Oviedo, both of which have good transport links. I would add that if time's an issue I wouldn't hesitate about catching a bus through the industrial areas into/out of busy port cities like Bilbao, Santander, and Gijon (I know that, like life, the Camino comes with the good the bad and the ugly, but walking a full day through 'Portugalete' or 'Aviles' is enough to depress even the most spirited of pilgrims…)

Anyway that's just my two cents! Happy planning! :)

Hi Jan,

That all sounds like good advice. It makes me lean towards an Irun start.

I went to the Basque Country on holiday in 2009, before I had even heard about the Camino. I spent time in both San Sebastian and Bilbao and would really like to see both cities again, though, I know, cities can be a bit disruptive to the Camino 'vibe'. Anyway, yeah, that would be another plus for me of starting from Irun - getting to see San Sebastian again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hmmm… I suppose if you've spent time in the Basque country before, then you could skip it… but then again, you've also experienced Galicia, so I suppose it depends where you'd prefer to spend an extra week! However, I'd probably stick with my suggestion to walk Irun - Oviedo/ Gijon: not only do you not miss much after this (in terms of interesting new sights), but also because Oviedo 'feels' like the end of a chapter, as many pilgrims part ways here, and lots of new pilgrims arrive to start the Primitivo...

(quick editorial addition: Oviedo is an important pilgrim destination in itself, with its cathedral of San Salvador said to hold important relics including the 'sudarium' or cloth used to wipe Jesus' face, so you could think of this as a mini-pilgrimage in itself! In fact many pilgrims used to come up to Oviedo from the Camino Frances on the 'del Salvador' route, from Leon…)

Last edited:
Hmmm… I suppose if you've spent time in the Basque country before, then you could skip it… but then again, you've also experienced Galicia, so I suppose it depends where you'd prefer to spend an extra week! However, I'd probably stick with my suggestion to walk Irun - Oviedo/ Gijon: not only do you not miss much after this (in terms of interesting new sights), but also because Oviedo 'feels' like the end of a chapter, as many pilgrims part ways here, and lots of new pilgrims arrive to start the Primitivo...

(quick editorial addition: Oviedo is an important pilgrim destination in itself, with its cathedral of San Salvador said to hold important relics including the 'sudarium' or cloth used to wipe Jesus' face, so you could think of this as a mini-pilgrimage in itself! In fact many pilgrims used to come up to Oviedo from the Camino Frances on the 'del Salvador' route, from Leon…)

Hi Jan,

Thanks for all of that. Very interesting information. I wasn't aware that Oviedo can feel like a destination in its own right. That may lend itself very much to my time window. Even though I feel no 'tug' towards Santiago this year, I have been a little wary of how it might feel to 'finish early'. I remember, in particular, on my first Camino in 2012, people I met early in the walk having to leave at Burgos because they only had 10-12 days at their disposal. And they were so miserable knowing that everyone else was going on and would still be walking for 3+ weeks in some cases. I'd hate to have 'that' feeling, but it sounds like Oviedo might be a good point to 'check out' without having that kind of moment.

Thanks again!

Hello all,

I think I'm finally going to walk the Norte this year, or at least a substantial chunk of it, and so am looking for a little practical advice related to time and distance.

I say 'finally' because around this time last year I was thinking about walking the Norte, but ultimately decided to walk the Francais from St Jean to the coast for a second time. In hindsight, while I had an enjoyable time, I think it might have been a better call to walk a new route, but c'est la vie.

Anyway, so, 2015 may well be the Norte year for me. However, I do not expect to have 5 weeks at my disposal. Barring unforeseen and pleasant circumstances, I expect to have a maximum of 3 weeks available to me. That being the case, I'm open-minded as to where to start. All things being equal, I would start from Irun, walk all the way to Santiago and on to the coast, but I won't have that time, so that scenario is off the table.

Having walked to Santiago in each of the last three years (Frances 2012, 2014, Portugues from Porto 2013), I feel no particular compulsion to reach 'the end' this year, though I'm certainly not opposed to it. That creates the scenario where I might start from Irun and go as far as I can, or perhaps start from Bilbao and make it to Santiago. Those look like the two options. So, I'm wondering which of those strategies might best lend itself to maximising the Norte experience? I know it's not the kind of question that can be answered in a categorical manner, but I would be curious to read whatever thoughts people may have on the matter.

Mark

Mark:

Given you only have three weeks, I see two options.

Start in Irun and finish in Oviedo. this is a common splitting point on the Norte route. Many Pilgrims pick up the Primitivo in Oviedo while others continue on the Northern route.

Start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago. I believe this can be done in 21 days.

There is only one ugly part, imo, of the Norte. The section from Gijon to Aviles is very industrial.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In response to Joe's post: I think this has summed up your options pretty nicely, although I'm not quite sure whether Bilbao-Santiago is possible in 21 days… guess it depends how fast you walk, and whether or not you want to 'budget' for one or two rest days, etc.

According to the 'official' stages, the Norte takes 34 days, so even if you start at Bilbao, that still leaves a fair distance to cover. Here's an idea of the 32 etapas to Arzua (add an extra 2 days to SdC): http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/

(Note: while they're more or less 25km/day, a couple of the short stages (12km) are balanced by some super-long stages (41km), so you'll just have to judge the overall time based on your walking style, speed, etc...)

Just as a footnote to my original response, I walked from San Sebastian to SJPdP in 29 days last Spring. IMO, the first week of the Norte is the most difficult. This route gets gradually easier with the last third being the least difficult. Based on that premise, I believe an average person can walk from Bilbao to Santiago in 21 days without any great stress. I did not follow the standard etapa's and only walked one long day.

Everyone walks differently, while I did not post my stops in total. I did make several posts regarding accommodations along the way. Shefollowsshells also posted quite a bit on this route.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
This is great information - thanks Mark for asking the question and thanks Jan and Joe for the responses. The Norte is definitely on my 2016 wish list!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Nuala - yes the Norte is my favourite… nothing like sitting on a white sandy beach, soaking your feet in the healing ocean after a long day's walk!

Quick comment on Joe's time recommendation: I must admit it took me a bit longer than 29 days… ha ha, must have been all that Asturian cider ;)

Mark: to throw another spanner in the works, I know quite a few people who completed the del Norte quite comfortably in 3 weeks starting from Santander - I suppose it all depends on how much of your allocated time you need for travel, or if you want to a day or two for r&r. But if you don't want to have 'that' feeling of leaving everyone behind, you might consider this as another option.

Anyway, let me know what you decide, so I can have a moment of vicarious excitement (mixed with a pinch of jealousy!)

Yeah I agree with John, but the OP's only going at the end of May, and I think planning and imagining different scenarios ahead of time can be half the fun... (How else are we supposed to get through winter on these miserable storm-battered Isles? :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree @Jan_D! I get so much enjoyment from all the planning and imagining. However, I also look forward to a time when I have no work constraints and I can do a full 'go with the flow' Camino.

Mark:

Given you only have three weeks, I see two options.

Start in Irun and finish in Oviedo. this is a common splitting point on the Norte route. Many Pilgrims pick up the Primitivo in Oviedo while others continue on the Northern route.

Start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago. I believe this can be done in 21 days.

There is only one ugly part, imo, of the Norte. The section from Gijon to Aviles is very industrial.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards Irun to Oviedo at this point. The only reservation I have about that plan is that the per day average across 3 weeks comes in at just under 20 km. I know the first week or so is supposed to be tough going, with the up and down, and so I'm guessing I won't exactly be burning up the track at that point. And I've also heard people say that sometimes the distances between albergues means that you more or less have to stop at certain places. All that said, one of things I've discovered over the last three summers of walking is that I quite enjoy the physical challenge of pushing myself. I find walking short distances vaguely frustrating. I walked from St Jean to Santiago last year in 29 days, which represented a reasonably brisk pace. I know it's not a race, and that's not how I treat it, but I enjoy reaching the end of the walking day feeling like I've earned the first beer of the evening!!!

I suppose the most practical way to approach it is to simply start from Irun, see how it's all going, walk as far as my window of availability will allow... wherever that eventually takes me. The only drawback to that is that it seems like finishing at Oviedo would take the 'sting' out of finishing 'early', whereas walking on for even a couple of days more would take away that little mercy.

Ah well, as far as complaints go, it wouldn't be the worst to have!

Hi Nuala - yes the Norte is my favourite… nothing like sitting on a white sandy beach, soaking your feet in the healing ocean after a long day's walk!

Quick comment on Joe's time recommendation: I must admit it took me a bit longer than 29 days… ha ha, must have been all that Asturian cider ;)

Mark: to throw another spanner in the works, I know quite a few people who completed the del Norte quite comfortably in 3 weeks starting from Santander - I suppose it all depends on how much of your allocated time you need for travel, or if you want to a day or two for r&r. But if you don't want to have 'that' feeling of leaving everyone behind, you might consider this as another option.

Anyway, let me know what you decide, so I can have a moment of vicarious excitement (mixed with a pinch of jealousy!)

Well, I'm hoping to have just about 21 days walking time at my disposal. It's still possible that I might be able to manufacture 5 weeks, in which case problem solved, but that's a long shot.

As I alluded to in my post just above this, I like covering reasonably lengthy distances on a daily basis, but not crazy 40km+ every day type of stuff. Looking at a link to proposed stages and how those distances play out, I suspect I would reach Oviedo with a couple of days to spare (I don't enjoy rest days, either!), so most likely I would power on from there and then get a bus to whatever point I will be flying out from, possibly Santiago.

Still plenty time to figure it all out... but I'm a planner by nature. One of the lessons I learned from my first Camino was to become accepting of that aspect of my personality!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yeah I'm also a bit of a planner, although it's more a case of "organised spontaneity", i.e. spontaneity within the parameters of well-researched options and contingency plans, lol… Hopefully you can get the 5 weeks, but if not 3 weeks is definitely 'enough' (and maybe, given you like the physical challenge and think you might surpass Oviedo, you should just do it from Bilbao as Joe suggested?) In any case you've got some time to mull things over… post a message or pm if you have any other questions!

Yeah I'm also a bit of a planner, although it's more a case of "organised spontaneity", i.e. spontaneity within the parameters of well-researched options and contingency plans, lol… Hopefully you can get the 5 weeks, but if not 3 weeks is definitely 'enough' (and maybe, given you like the physical challenge and think you might surpass Oviedo, you should just do it from Bilbao as Joe suggested?) In any case you've got some time to mull things over… post a message or pm if you have any other questions!

Yeah, plenty of time. Although, just with that Bilbao idea in mind, the distances look good for a three week window. Just looking at google maps, it seems to be about 600 km from Bilbao to Santiago, which translates into a 28 km per day average, which is very similar to what I ended up doing last year, so that might well do the trick. Not that I'm the business of avoiding the hard stretches, but that would take that up and down stretch from Irun to Bilbao out of play, which my back might thank me for doing!

And if I'm feeling very nostalgic and want to see San Sebastian, well, I can always spend the first day there, maybe overnight, and then get the bus to Bilbao and start from there.

No doubt I'll flip ideas a million times between here and there, but that sounds good at this precise moment!

I agree! They have a lovely little train called 'Euskotren' which goes between the Basque cities, only costs a couple of euros each way, so would be very easy to travel between Bilbao and San Sebastian (called 'Donostia' in Basque!)

The first week is particularly tough, all those pesky Basque mountains drenched in rain (being flippant of course they're lovely) although I also remember the feeling of 'deserving my cerveza' at the end of those days… But you can always come back to the region, and given your stamina I think you can probably arrive in SdC in 3 weeks from Bilbao - although I suppose it also depends whether or not you do the Primitivo route, distances over mountains are always slightly, erm, deceptive - I'm sure there'll be more info on the forum!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree! They have a lovely little train called 'Euskotren' which goes between the Basque cities, only costs a couple of euros each way, so would be very easy to travel between Bilbao and San Sebastian (called 'Donostia' in Basque!)

The first week is particularly tough, all those pesky Basque mountains drenched in rain (being flippant of course they're lovely) although I also remember the feeling of 'deserving my cerveza' at the end of those days… But you can always come back to the region, and given your stamina I think you can probably arrive in SdC in 3 weeks from Bilbao - although I suppose it also depends whether or not you do the Primitivo route, distances over mountains are always slightly, erm, deceptive - I'm sure there'll be more info on the forum!

I'm in the early days of my planning/research mode, so much to find out. As you said earlier, that can be a lot of fun in itself!

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards Irun to Oviedo at this point. The only reservation I have about that plan is that the per day average across 3 weeks comes in at just under 20 km. I know the first week or so is supposed to be tough going, with the up and down, and so I'm guessing I won't exactly be burning up the track at that point. And I've also heard people say that sometimes the distances between albergues means that you more or less have to stop at certain places. All that said, one of things I've discovered over the last three summers of walking is that I quite enjoy the physical challenge of pushing myself. I find walking short distances vaguely frustrating. I walked from St Jean to Santiago last year in 29 days, which represented a reasonably brisk pace. I know it's not a race, and that's not how I treat it, but I enjoy reaching the end of the walking day feeling like I've earned the first beer of the evening!!!

I suppose the most practical way to approach it is to simply start from Irun, see how it's all going, walk as far as my window of availability will allow... wherever that eventually takes me. The only drawback to that is that it seems like finishing at Oviedo would take the 'sting' out of finishing 'early', whereas walking on for even a couple of days more would take away that little mercy.

Ah well, as far as complaints go, it wouldn't be the worst to have!

Mark:

Given you only have three weeks to walk, maybe consider walking a combination San Salvador/Primitivo. The Salvador is a beautiful Camino (4-6 days) (Leon to Oviedo) but is very sparsely traveled. The Primitivo is also a very beautiful Camino (Oviedo to Melide) (11-14 days) where it connects to the Frances and then 2 days to Santiago. You could then save the Norte for a year when you have enough time to walk the entire route.

Whatever decision you make, I am sure it will be the best one for you. I am a bit envious of you as I will not be walking this year unless I do a Fall Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

Mark:

Given you only have three weeks to walk, maybe consider walking a combination San Salvador/Primitivo. The Salvador is a beautiful Camino (4-6 days) (Leon to Oviedo) but is very sparsely traveled. The Primitivo is also a very beautiful Camino (Oviedo to Melide) (11-14 days) where it connects to the Frances and then 2 days to Santiago. You could then save the Norte for a year when you have enough time to walk the entire route.

Whatever decision you make, I am sure it will be the best one for you. I am a bit envious of you as I will not be walking this year unless I do a Fall Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thanks for that, Joe. More for the thinking pot!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Could not agree more witih Jan: views of the coast, beaches, beautiful cities, Txacoli, mountains. End in Oviedo where next year you can start the Primitivo. Only difference in muy view is qualifying San Vicente de la Barquera: eat menu del dia at the restaurant under the awnings that has white and blue tiles, go see the fortress and DO NOT miss the church (if you visit one, this is it), but avoid the albergue at all cost. In Santiallana, as you are at the bottom of the main pedestrian drag, heading towards the Colegiata, on the right hand side there is an very old mansion that operates as a B&B but also has part of it as an albergue. You will most likely not find it on the guidebooks, and it is a very special experience, if you love old buildings, history and architecture.

Like Joe, I'm a big fan of the Leon-Oviedo-Primitivo option. Mark, if you do three weeks Irun to Oviedo this year, you then have two "half" Caminos left, Oviedo to Santiago on the Primitivo, and the rest of the Norte from somewhere near Aviles. Whereas if you walk Leon-Oviedo-Santiago, you'll have the whole glorious Norte waiting for you whenever you can get a bigger chunk of time.

The Salvador/Primitivo option will be no beaches and lots of mountains, with a lot of very pretty hilly countryside. There are many threads on both these routes in the forum, good guides available, and so long as you're not thinking of walking in late July or August, you should find just the right amount of company. Late May into early June will be spring, snow should be all gone from the passes, I think it would be a great time to walk without crowds.

Whichever you choose, you'll have a great Camino, I'm sure.

Buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:

Can anyone give me the link for the Cicerone Guide of Camino del Norte

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering walking from Irun to Santander in June and found the below guide to the Camino Del Norte. Not sure if has been posted on here already but it is quite good for a free guide.

http://tourism.euskadi.eus/contenidos/informacion/x65_folletos/en_x65/folletos/2011/santiago/Caminos del Norte INGLES.pdf
Hi, I used this to supplement the Cicerone's northern camino guide. This is more of an overview. The maps are not detailed enough in case one gets lost and it does not offer accommodation recommendation. The cicerone guide provides everything except a visual elevation profile.
If you have command in Spanish and doing a shorter section, i suppose this is good enough.

I have read no one elses response (crazy busy)...so I don't mean to question anyone's opinions just sharing mine without bias...

Without a doubt I would start in Irun, if you could pull off an extra 30 minutes I would start in Hendaye for no big reason other than saying , "I walked from France :)".
I would not miss those first days of the Norte if I could avoid it. The first day was just magical! I could never suggest to anyone to skip it UNLESS they don't have a choice. If they don't have a choice I know they will have the Camino they are supposed to have...but if you do have a choice I could not suggest skipping it for anything.

I have read no one elses response (crazy busy)...so I don't mean to question anyone's opinions just sharing mine without bias...

Without a doubt I would start in Irun, if you could pull off an extra 30 minutes I would start in Hendaye for no big reason other than saying , "I walked from France :)".
I would not miss those first days of the Norte if I could avoid it. The first day was just magical! I could never suggest to anyone to skip it UNLESS they don't have a choice. If they don't have a choice I know they will have the Camino they are supposed to have...but if you do have a choice I could not suggest skipping it for anything.

Another opinion to consider!

I haven't committed to any set plan yet, but I expect to have 21-24 walking days (absolute max!) at my disposal. Having reached Santiago in each of the last three summers, I don't necessarily feel the need to arrive there this time around. It just seems that, based on some of the replies above, that starting Bilbao might be a good idea for me, given that it might lend itself nicely to reaching Santiago in 3 weeks, just about the amount of time I expect to have. I feel like I would rather start later into the route and reach Santiago than start in Irun and then have to deal with the mixed emotions that might come with having to bail out 'early'. I've seen that process play out for other people in years gone by, and I've always been relieved to have not been the one in that position!

So, I don't expect to have the time to walk the full route, which leaves with a fairly clear choice - start from Irun and get as far as my time window will allow me or start further on with a view towards reaching Santiago and perhaps the coast. I think whatever happens, it will be an enjoyable and worthwhile few weeks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mark give this some thought...:)
you said , " Having reached Santiago in each of the last three summers, I don't necessarily feel the need to arrive there this time around."...so if you really feel this way then it might help you with your decision some.
I hear you about watching folks have to abandon the Camino prior to Santiago, I felt exactly how have you have, thankful that I did not have to make that decision to do so BUT like you said you have reached Santiago three summers in a row so you migth be ina different situation than the folks you had to see leave it. If that is case then consider starting in Irun.

I have to say I loved the Norte, I could not have missed the beginning...and just thankful I could do that as I know it is difficult for most to have that time.
I had only walked the Camino one other time and honestly could have skipped Santiago if I had to...by the fourth time I think I could have skipped it even more so.

Wondering if an Irun start and a stop at the point where the Norte /Primitivo hits the Frances might be a good place to call it ? Is that something you could do in 24 days.
I would have to look at stages better but after the Norte or Primitivo you might be more willing to not make it to Santiago especially if you have done so in the past three years. Call it when you meet the masses :)

Either way you will have a wonderful Camino, I know your decision is a tough one!
Just rethink that you said reaching Santiago is not as important to you anymore...the beginning is so breathtaking!

Another alternative idea Mark might be to walk part of the Norte west of Santander as far as Ribadasella, then take the bus or train (FEVE) round to Arriondas and walk to the shrine at Covadonga - it is signed. You can then either walk back to Arriondas or Cangas de Onis and bus back to Oviedo/airport etc.
See June posts in our blog here if you want some idea of the route. Note the distances as we only walked short stages.

Ok, so I finally have clarity on how much walking time I'm going to have this year.

I'm going to fly out on May 16 and fly home on June 13. That timeline is 29 days inclusive, so allowing for the fact that I (presumably!) won't be walking on the days I arrive/depart, that leaves me with a potential window of 27 walking days, which is quite a nice chunk of time. Not enough time to walk the entire Norte from Irun to Santiago, but c'est la vie.

Having re-read the responses above (thank you all again!), I find I'm still not entirely sure of what's the best way to go about things. Some of the advice offered was predicated upon the assumption that I was going to have three weeks of walking, whereas now it looks like it'll be almost a full week more than that... and a week is a looooong time on the Camino!

So, I'm curious, would suggestions over where to start etc. be any different now, given that I expect be out there for just shy of four weeks, as opposed to just three weeks?

My own thought process is mixed. As indicated above, I'm debating whether to start at Irun or Bilbao.

Starting from Irun would give me the literal beginning of the route and that tough first week of up/down, and the prospect of that physical challenge certainly holds appeal. The downside, however, of starting from Irun is the inevitability of an 'early' departure, wherever I would find myself on the trail come June 11/12.

Starting from Bilbao would take that difficult first week of walking out of play (which might not be the worst thing in the world!), and with the time window I now have at my disposal would probably allow me to take to the Primitivo from Oviedo and reach Santiago and walk on to the coast one more time, which would be nice. I mentioned earlier that having reached Santiago in each of the last three years, I don't feel a strong 'lure' to get back there, but I like the idea of seeing Finisterre and Muxia once again.

All in all, it's a nice problem to have! Decisions, decisions... ;-)

I suppose the big thing for me is to book my flights. Starting from Irun would mean flying into Biarritz, whereas if I decide to start from Bilbao, it would make more sense to fly direct to there. One way or another, I think I'll commit to a path and book the flights over the weekend, and then the planning can begin in earnest!

But... before I commit, any more thoughts on what might be the best way to proceed?

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Primitivo is amazing and it would be a good time to walk it. How about working yours days backwards from Muxia, through Santiago and the Primitivo to Oviedo then onto the Norte and let that decide your starting point. Lugo is worth a stop over as is Oviedo itself.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
The Primitivo is amazing and it would be a good time to walk it. How about working yours days backwards from Muxia, though Santiago and the Primitivo to Oviedo then onto the Norte and let that decide your starting point. Lugo is worth a stop over as is Oviedo itself.
Buen Camino

Yes, I must sit down and come up with a provisional itinerary, maybe option A (Irun) and option B (Bilbao). I haven't done that up to now because I wasn't entirely sure of my window of availability. Another labour of love for the weekend! ;-)

Hi again Mark, good to see you again! ;)

Sorry to hog reply space, but I got an alert in my inbox! I think on some level you know what you want in your heart: it seems that the negative of 'leaving early' overshadows any of the advantages of 'starting early'. Anyway the idea of Irun as an official starting point is nothing more than a convention, and Bilbao is a starting point for many, so it won't *feel* like you've missed out on a few days of walking. And if it's hills you're after, the Primitivo will give you all you could possibly desire, in a couple of days you'll go from sea level to 1000 metres!

http://www.mundicamino.com/ruta.cfm...randas de Salime&xne=6&quees=Trazado / Perfil

As for flights: if money's an issue just pick the cheapest, buses to Bilbao only take a couple of hours from Biarritz or Santander.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Santander also has an airport if you decide to start further west. Not sure where the flights come from or go to, but it might be another option.

@ Tia Valeria - yes Ryanair offers cheap flights to Santander, and buses leave directly from the airport to a range of destinations (e.g. only takes 1h/ 1h30 to Bilbao and costs €6)

Hi again Mark, good to see you again! ;)

Sorry to hog reply space, but I got an alert in my inbox! I think on some level you know what you want in your heart: it seems that the negative of 'leaving early' overshadows any of the advantages of 'starting early'. Anyway the idea of Irun as an official starting point is nothing more than a convention, and Bilbao is a starting point for many, so it won't *feel* like you've missed out on a few days of walking. And if it's hills you're after, the Primitivo will give you all you could possibly desire, in a couple of days you'll go from sea level to 1000 metres!

http://www.mundicamino.com/ruta.cfm?p=Trazado&id=54&cod=6&xini=La Mesa&xfin=Grandas de Salime&xne=6&quees=Trazado / Perfil

As for flights: if money's an issue just pick the cheapest, buses to Bilbao only take a couple of hours from Biarritz or Santander.

Hi Jan,

You're not hogging reply space at all! All your posts have been very useful to my thought process, and the above is no exception! ;-)

I think you're right. That 'leaving early' idea is not one I like. As I said before, having seen it happen to others on previous Caminos, I was always so relieved that I wasn't "that guy", like being written out of a book before the final chapter is written.

Bilbao it'll be, methinks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, I must sit down and come up with a provisional itinerary, maybe option A (Irun) and option B (Bilbao). I haven't done that up to now because I wasn't entirely sure of my window of availability. Another labour of love for the weekend! ;-)

I think it all depends on your interest and fitness level. Here are few things to consider:

+If you want the walk to be continuous , without skipping any uninteresting sections, and walk into sdc, then Bilbao start would be the best with couple of break days.

+If you don't have to walk into santiago, i.e finish elsewhere and bus/train into sdc, you can start at Irun and just walk as far as your time/fitness permits. You can perhaps reach Lugo via primitivo if no break days....

+Honestly, if you have not walked the Irun-Bilbao, you have not really walked the Norte. People tend to skip this section either for time constraints or not wanting/able to tackle the ups/downs at the beginning of the Camino. If you are fit and enjoy a bit of the challenge, this section is stunning.

+Primitivo or not; First off, the best part of the Norte is its initial 2/3 of the way. Unless you are an ocean/beach junky, you would have had enough of it when you reach Sebrayo. Besides, water would still be colder to swim in. I was there in June, not too many people jumping into the ocean. You can decide whether to turn towards primitivo, depending on how you feel when you get to Sebrayo. Primitivo is a special section.

I walked the Norte/primitivo in 34 walking days with 20-25km day. My itinerary is here.

Yay! Sounds great! ;)

Change of plan again, would you believe? I'm now leaning towards starting from Irun!

When a few old Camino friends noticed me writing about heading back out in 2015 on Facebook, the consensus view was "Why are you starting from Bilbao? From Irun to Bilbao may be the most beautiful part of the entire Norte!"

So then I got to thinking (my fatal flaw!)...

As I said, I don't feel the need to reach Santiago this year. The Bilbao idea was mainly about avoiding the "leaving early" feeling... but if I head out there with the mindset of "I'm not going to reach Santiago, I'm just going to go as far my legs and days allow", well, then maybe the early departure won't feel quite so bad. Either way, I think I'm going to take that chance! ;-)

And besides, if the worst case scenario is spending three weeks or so on the Camino and then feeling hard done by because I'll be bailing out early while others continue on... well, that's still a pretty good scenario! ;-)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back