• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino April 15 - 17, 2015 Cacabelos (Ponferrada Stage) Bridge WAS closed from 7am - 9pm

frescotours

Time of past OR future Camino
First one Frances 1999 (from Burgos), since then...over 100 in Galicia, Portugal, Basque....
I just heard that the town hall of Cacabelos has announced that they are going to be closing down the bridge that spans the river to do repairs. Anyone hoping to walk across (i.e. pilgrims) will not be able. The solution they have provided is a free bus shuttle, but it appears that there are only 4 departures throughout the day: 9:45h, 11:15h, 13h and 19h.

Here is their note on their website:
http://www.cacabelos.org/index.php?elementoID=2854

The really bad news is the albergue municipal is on the other side of the bridge!

Sorry to be the barer of bad news.

Good luck and buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just an update for those on Camino Frances. The bridge crossing the river after Cacabelos is closed. You have to take a bus or taxi to get across. The free bus leaves at 1300 by the taxi stand in Cacabelos.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just an update for those on Camino Frances. The bridge crossing the river after Cacabelos is closed. You have to take a bus or taxi to get across. The free bus leaves at 1300 by the taxi stand in Cacabelos.
I have crossed that bridge sometime in July 2011 and remember that river level was so low you could cross it easily. How high is it now?
I know I would be very annoyed to take a ride because I'd be there for walking not riding a bus/taxi. But that's just me ;)

Ultreia!

It's only closed for about 3 days April 15 to the 17th. Will be an inconvenience for folks wanting to cross those days to be sure. Selfishly happy it will be open for my own crossing later in May.

If you miss one of the three taxi shuttles in the morning (last one's at 13:00), there's an afternoon one at 19:00

Free taxis wait for pilgrims in the town plaza. It's something like a 8 km detour if you decide to walk

Tomorrow the bridge should be open, but best to check for an update. Recent bad weather has slowed down the work...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I suppose one could bypass Cacabelos by following road N-VI from Ponferrada to Villafranca. That bypasses only two albergues but it also gets you close to the municipal albergue in Carracedo through which N-VI passes.

It is back open -- just crossed it today -- 19 April 2015 -- guess I got lucking on timing --

I just heard that the town hall of Cacabelos has announced that they are going to be closing down the bridge that spans the river to do repairs. Anyone hoping to walk across (i.e. pilgrims) will not be able. The solution they have provided is a free bus shuttle, but it appears that there are only 4 departures throughout the day: 9:45h, 11:15h, 13h and 19h.

The really bad news is the albergue municipal is on the other side of the bridge!

It specifically says that will be closed from 0700AM to 2100, then it is open after 2100

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It will be open after 2100. El puente de Cacabelos permanecerá cerrado a los peatones del miércoles 15 de abril al viernes 17 de abril, desde las 7 hrs. a las 21 hrs. El resto de las horas permanecerá abierto a peatones.

Bridge open to walkers-municipal Albergue still closed but keep going another 2 km and you lol reach serbal y la luna Albergue in pieros-way nicer and worth the last uphill 2 km !

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back