• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April 2014 trip: Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia-Santiago

RoryGentry

Follow me!!! (Where are we, anyway?)
Time of past OR future Camino
Burgos to Santiago, Sept. 16-Oct. 3, 2013

Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia to Santiago, April 2014
My friends and I completed the Camino de Santiago in October 2013. As fate would have it, it appears that we will be able to return in mid-April 2014 for another hike. This time we're planning to hike the route from Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia and back to Santiago.

Has anyone done this route recently? Or at this time of year? Any specific recommendations? Since this idea has come up on very short notice, we won't have much time to research the lodging, etc. along this route. I'm scouring the forum now for the most recent info.

Additionally, will any of you be doing this route in mid-late April? It would be great to meet you along the way.

The best part is, my bag is still 75% packed from our camino trip a few months ago. :) I can nearly pick up and go right now!
Rory hiking in Spain.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola

Put the last 25% into your backpack and focus on the logistic of getting yourselves to Saint Jean.
From there one day at the time and you will be fine.
There will be plenty of albergues open as well as pilgrims on the road.
So far Europe has had an exceptional mild winter so unless it changes you could experience very nice weather.
Do bring rain gear of course.
Have a great walk.

Buen camino.
Lettinggo

We won't be going to St. Jean. We've already finished the Camino Frances.

This will be a "quick trip," focusing just on the route from Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia and back to Santiago again. We will only be there 2 weeks at the most, with a couple of days to enjoy one of the bigger cities and see some old friends after the hike. (Barcelona, Madrid, etc.)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How did it go Rory??
Where did you prop?
Hope all was well,
David

The trip was ok... I've only been home a couple of days. I'll try to write about it this weekend.

OK, here's the rundown of how we broke up our days and where we stayed as we hoked from Santiago > Finisterre > Muxia > Santiago. Note that we did the entire route, and did not take a bus back to Santiago. I had no complaints about any of the places we stayed at, and I'd happily stay at any of them again. (I had to take a taxi for a portion of a couple of days because I twisted my knee on day 3.)

Camino de Finisterre hike
April 14, 2014
Chicago to Santiago
Accommodations at the 25 de Julio pension. It’s right across the street from a police station, and a 5 minute walk to the Cathedral.

April 15, 2014
Santiago to Negreira
Accommodations at the Hotel Tamara
Nice apartment, 2 bedroom rooms with 2 beds each, refrigerator in the kitchen, and a living room area. Very good food in the restaurant downstairs. Normally €60, got it for €45.

April 16, 2014
Negreira to Olveiroa
Accommodations at Casa Loncho
Best place I’ve stayed on either camino! Antonio from Casa Loncho runs the mochilla service (forwarding your backpack, similar to JockoTrans) on the Olveiroa/ Fisterre/ Muxia “triangle.” He also provides a taxi service. Antonio and family are the best! Albergue is clean, private rooms are very nice. Great showers. Very good food, small market/ store available there, etc.

April 17, 2014
Olveiroa to Finisterre
Accommodations at A Longosteira. (There is a similar place called Playa Longosteria, or something like that, on the same road.) We had a room with 3 beds, which wasn’t huge but was very clean. In Finisterre we ate at La Frontera (run by a German lady named Kristina), and really liked it. It is by the marina, on the circle with the statue in the middle. It’s a 1 minute walk, across the street from the albergue where you get your Fisterre completion certificate. If you are tired of bocadillas, stop in here for sausage, schnitzel, vegetarian food, etc. Also near the same area but on the opposite side of the circle is a good pizza place called Peppone.

April 18, 2014
Finisterre (day off)
Accommodations at A Longosteira
See info above…

April 19, 2014
Finisterre to Muxia
Accommodations at Pension/ Hostal La Cruz
It’s pretty much the first place you see when you walk into town. It had a tiny bathroom, but my room looked straight across the street to the beach. Run by a very nice older couple. There are several restaurants along the main road by the water.

April 20, 2014
Muxia to Dumbria
Accommodations at Pension O'Argentino
We were the only ones there on Easter. We tried not to bother the owners so they could enjoy their holiday. They did make us a very nice dinner.

April 21, 2014
Dumbria to Olveiroa
I’ve already bragged on it above… Can’t say enough about this place or the awesome family who runs it.

April 22, 2014
Olveiroa to Vilaserio
Accommodations at O'Rueiro
This was the only place where we had to break out our sleeping bags. We got the one private room, and it was cold!!! There is a small place to eat, but no market, etc. in the area. You'll have to stock up on water, etc. elsewhere.

April 23, 2014
Vilaserio to Santiago (FINAL DESTINATION)
Accommodations at LaSalle Albergue/ Hotel
Stayed here last year after completing the Camino Frances. The private rooms in the albergue side are every bit as nice as the hotel side, and much cheaper.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My friends and I completed the Camino de Santiago in October 2013. As fate would have it, it appears that we will be able to return in mid-April 2014 for another hike. This time we're planning to hike the route from Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia and back to Santiago.

Has anyone done this route recently? Or at this time of year? Any specific recommendations? Since this idea has come up on very short notice, we won't have much time to research the lodging, etc. along this route. I'm scouring the forum now for the most recent info.

Additionally, will any of you be doing this route in mid-late April? It would be great to meet you along the way.

The best part is, my bag is still 75% packed from our camino trip a few months ago. :) I can nearly pick up and go right now!
View attachment 8361
I will...staring 23rd April

Fiona99, I can't recommend Casa Loncho enough... Such great people there. They truly made us feel like family. Great acomodations there. I hope you get to meet them!

Fiona99, I can't recommend Casa Loncho enough... Such great people there. They truly made us feel like family. Great acomodations there. I hope you get to meet them!

I will certainly look out for it....am starting in SJPdP and finishing at Finisterre or Muxia....not sure which to have as my finish yet.....have a great time

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Finisterre - end of the land - would be a classic ending. Muxia: where "The Way" chose to finish:rolleyes:

In 2008 we were told in Malide that the spanish regard Muxia as the finish.
Who told us ?
The 30 plus Spanish people on the tables around us eating squid and drinking vino.
They were quiet adamant about it.

In 2008 we were told in Malide that the spanish regard Muxia as the finish.
Who told us ?
The 30 plus Spanish people on the tables around us eating squid and drinking vino.
They were quiet adamant about it.
Absolutly: Muxia, not Fisterra, for,historical recasons vs wastwaerdly ones. FTI, HÂTE, iPad autocorrect

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
OK, here's the rundown of how we broke up our days and where we stayed as we hoked from Santiago > Finisterre > Muxia > Santiago. Note that we did the entire route, and did not take a bus back to Santiago. I had no complaints about any of the places we stayed at, and I'd happily stay at any of them again. (I had to take a taxi for a portion of a couple of days because I twisted my knee on day 3.)

April 14, 2014
Chicago to Santiago
Accommodations at the 25 de Julio pension. It’s right across the street from a police station, and a 5 minute walk to the Cathedral.

April 15, 2014
Santiago to Negreira
Nice apartment, 2 bedroom rooms with 2 beds each, refrigerator in the kitchen, and a living room area. Very good food in the restaurant downstairs. Normally €60, got it for €45.

April 16, 2014
Negreira to Olveiroa
Best place I’ve stayed on either camino! Antonio from Casa Loncho runs the mochilla service (forwarding your backpack, similar to JockoTrans) on the Olveiroa/ Fisterre/ Muxia “triangle.” He also provides a taxi service. Antonio and family are the best! Albergue is clean, private rooms are very nice. Great showers. Very good food, small market/ store available there, etc.

April 17, 2014
Olveiroa to Finisterre
Accommodations at A Longosteira. (There is a similar place called Playa Longosteria, or something like that, on the same road.) We had a room with 3 beds, which wasn’t huge but was very clean. In Finisterre we ate at La Frontera (run by a German lady named Kristina), and really liked it. It is by the marina, on the circle with the statue in the middle. It’s a 1 minute walk, across the street from the albergue where you get your Fisterre completion certificate. If you are tired of bocadillas, stop in here for sausage, schnitzel, vegetarian food, etc. Also near the same area but on the opposite side of the circle is a good pizza place called Peppone.

April 18, 2014
Finisterre (day off)
See info above…

April 19, 2014
Finisterre to Muxia
It’s pretty much the first place you see when you walk into town. It had a tiny bathroom, but my room looked straight across the street to the beach. Run by a very nice older couple. There are several restaurants along the main road by the water.

April 20, 2014
Muxia to Dumbria
We were the only ones there on Easter. We tried not to bother the owners so they could enjoy their holiday. They did make us a very nice dinner.

April 21, 2014
Dumbria to Olveiroa
I’ve already bragged on it above… Can’t say enough about this place or the awesome family who runs it.

April 22, 2014
Olveiroa to Vilaserio
This was the only place where we had to break out our sleeping bags. We got the one private room, and it was cold!!! There is a small place to eat, but no market, etc. in the area. You'll have to stock up on water, etc. elsewhere.

April 23, 2014
Stayed here last year after completing the Camino Frances. The private rooms in the albergue side are every bit as nice as the hotel side, and much cheaper.

April 14, 2014
Chicago to Santiago

April 15, 2014
Santiago to Negreira

April 16, 2014
Negreira to Olveiroa

April 17, 2014
Olveiroa to Finisterre

April 18, 2014
Finisterre (day off)
See info above…

April 19, 2014
Finisterre to Muxia

April 20, 2014
Muxia to Dumbria

April 21, 2014
Dumbria to Olveiroa

April 22, 2014
Olveiroa to Vilaserio

April 23, 2014
I plan on doing this in early September,
A very helpful post ,
Flanks,
Eddie.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Absolutly: Muxia, not Fisterra, for,historical recasons vs wastwaerdly ones. FTI, HÂTE, iPad autocorrect
was thinking of trying to do the circuit ....so will go finistere then finish in Muxia...thank you

I plan on doing this in early September,
A very helpful post ,
Flanks,
Eddie.
that was very helpful thank you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Muxia is, indeed, much nicer than Fisterra in my opinion. However, if you have the time to walk from one place to the other, you can make up your personal opinion.:D

Myself and my husband did this route September 2012. It was our first Camino and really whetted my appetite for more so was good as a test for anyone who is not sure about walking day after day.

Day 1 :

Flew from Dublin to Santiago airport. Walked from airport into city following last 12km of Camino France's. stayed in Avenida Hotel, Rua Santa Antonio.

Day 2 :

Walked from Santiago to Negreira 22.4km. Stayed in Hotel Tamara. Dined in Bar Imperial,Rua do Carmen,Menu del Dia 7€.

Day 3 :

Walked from Negreira to Olveiroa 33.1km. Stayed in Casa Loncho. Dined in restaurant "As Pias" in lovely old village.

Day 4 :

Walked from Olveiroa to Finisterre 31.2 km. Nowhere did we read a warning about the steep rocky descent into Cee. This is definitely somewhere where you would need boots with ankle support. We were lucky with the weather but if it was raining it would have been a lot worse. I had been so looking forward to a swim in Cee but there are signs there discouraging it so I had to walk on to Corcubion where I was finally satisfied with a dip. ( Hubby had a beer ! ) Arrived later in Finisterre where we stayed in Hotel Playa Langosteira on the way into town. Dined there too.

Day 5 :

Explored Finisterre and surroundings as there are lots of circular routes to enjoy. Walked to lighthouse in the evening where we were blessed with a spectacular sunset. Dined in town and stayed in same hotel.

Day 6 :
Taxi into Cee where we got bus to Muxia and walked back to Finisterre 28.5km. Beautiful walk with lots of sea views and a chance to swim. We got the only rain of our trip on the last hour of our walk. Stayed and dined in same hotel .

Day 7 :

Bus from Finisterre back to Santiago where we stayed in same hotel as before. Got 6pm mass with botafumeiro.

Day 8 :

Bus to airport from Santiago to catch flight to Dublin .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Two years ago I walked to Muxia in two days so that I could go to mass at the lovely church. Not something I would recommend as I walked from Negreria on day two (40k?) ?Just as well as there was a terrible fire a few months later. It is currently being restored. Must go back and see the result.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back