• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April 2021 on Camino Frances - just how busy will it be?

Ducks

Walking for 3
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugese (2020)
Camino Frances (2021)
I know it is very far off, but I have to slot the Camino in between events that I lead, and 2021 dates are already being arranged.

So with that info settled, I wondered if there are any opinions on just how busy the CF will be in late April 2021 - realising that it's a Jubilee year - but that Easter will have been earlier in the month. I don't mind some company on the road, but don't want to be jostling in crowds! Would late September be better?

Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't think it will make a difference whether you go at the beginning or end of April in 2021. Pilgrim numbers on the camino normally increase from Easter/April onwards. In the last Holy Year (2010), around 20,000 pilgrims arrived in April, 29,000 in May, and 34,000 in June. (Overall, pilgrim numbers almost doubled in comparison to the previous year).

There are 1.2 billion Catholics in the world, and as the camino has become more accessible, and this is a very important religious opportunity, you can expect numbers to sky-rocket!

Last edited:
I have seen expectations of up to 500,000 pilgrims arriving in Santiago throughout the year. September and May tend to be the busiest months, I personally wouldn't want to start then. Late April may also be busy, it's hard to say. Around Catholic holidays when the Spanish take long weekends or during Semana Santa the Camino will also be busy.

The last time I walked from SJPDP to Santiago was mid October 2018. The September crowds were then gone so there was no problem finding a bed. Just note that many accommodations close at the end of October but there is always something open.
There were still

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It will likely be twice as busy on any given day during the peak pilgrim season, in 2021 as in 2019. The Jacobeo, the regional organization that regulates most secular things related to the Camino estimates (IIRC) about 400,000 pilgrims for the 2021 Holy Year. I suggest this is very conservative.

My estimates, based on simple mathematical analysis of past years, and the relationship to interspersed Holy Years, suggests a rather higher figure.

In 2018, some 327,000 actual pilgrims issued Compostelas. But the closure of the Cathedral and loss of the Botafumeiro for the entire year (2019) MIGHT have had a diminishing effect on some pilgrim groups.

Pilgrim groups will frequently PAY the Cathedral for the Botafumeiro to be flown when their group is in attendance at a specific Pilgrim Mass. No Botafumeiro...no groups... or fewer groups... I believe this attenuated the annual numbers in 2019 and will again in 2020.

My original estimate for 2019 was about 375,000. But the above event may have reduced pilgrim arrivals a lot. So, right now, the actual number will be released next month I think, will be in the area of 340-350,000. We shall see. Depending on that result I may revise my estimates a bit.

As it stands, my reconsidered 2020 estimate (based on the above adjustments) is now about 400,000, instead of my previous estimate of 475,000. Again this is because the Cathedral will remain mostly closed, and the Botafumeiro unused until the start of the Holy Year. This coincides with the start of the 20201 Liturgical Year and Holy Year in late 2020, on the first Sunday of Advent. So, if I was correct about group suppression, the same reduced numbers of pilgrim arrivals will be in effect for 2020.

On the other hand, consider that this almost two-year absence of the Botafumeiro in action at the opened Cathedral while renovations are being completed necessarily means that there is building a pent-up demand, especially among groups. If they were planning to go on Camino as a group and pay to see the Botafumeiro, they necessarily need to wait until the 2021 season, or later.

Hence, there could be a surge in 2021 arrivals, especially among groups. These increased arrivals will be particularly acute during the period from Semana Santa / Holy Week 2021 through the end of October 2021.

According to Google, in 2021, Easter falls early, on 4 April, 2021. this means that Semana Santa starts one week earlier on Palm Sunday, 28 March, 2021.

Hence, if you are planning a Camino during the period late March - October 2021, carefully consider your options as to route. Do make advance accommodation reservations. And do remain flexible. The Camino Frances will be the most heavily used route. Hence, accommodations will likely be relatively more difficult along this, the most popular route.

So, having considered the reduction effect of the Botafumeiro not being on offer for most all of 2020, but back online and flying for all of 2021, my revised 2021 Holy Year estimate is now about 600,000, with a full 30 percent of this number arriving in groups. It was originally a range from a low of 650k to about 725k.

We shall see who is closer, the Jacobeo or me...stay tuned...

It will likely be twice as busy on any given day during the peak pilgrim season, in 2021 as in 2019. The Jacobeo, the regional organization that regulates most secular things related to the Camino estimates (IIRC) about 400,000 pilgrims for the 2021 Holy Year. I suggest
AND, these figures, as you stated above, only include those who obtained a Compostela.
It will likely be twice as busy on any given day during the peak pilgrim season, in 2021 as in 2019. The Jacobeo, the regional organization that regulates most secular things related to the Camino estimates (IIRC) about 400,000 pilgrims for the 2021 Holy Year. I suggest this is very conservative.

My estimates, based on simple mathematical analysis of past years, and the relationship to interspersed Holy Years, suggests a rather higher figure.

In 2018, some 327,000 actual pilgrims issued Compostelas. But the closure of the Cathedral and loss of the Botafumeiro for the entire year (2019) MIGHT have had a diminishing effect on some pilgrim groups.

Pilgrim groups will frequently PAY the Cathedral for the Botafumeiro to be flown when their group is in attendance at a specific Pilgrim Mass. No Botafumeiro...no groups... or fewer groups... I believe this attenuated the annual numbers in 2019 and will again in 2020.

My original estimate for 2019 was about 375,000. But the above event may have reduced pilgrim arrivals a lot. So, right now, the actual number will be released next month I think, will be in the area of 340-350,000. We shall see. Depending on that result I may revise my estimates a bit.

As it stands, my reconsidered 2020 estimate (based on the above adjustments) is now about 400,000, instead of my previous estimate of 475,000. Again this is because the Cathedral will remain mostly closed, and the Botafumeiro unused until the start of the Holy Year. This coincides with the start of the 20201 Liturgical Year and Holy Year in late 2020, on the first Sunday of Advent. So, if I was correct about group suppression, the same reduced numbers of pilgrim arrivals will be in effect for 2020.

On the other hand, consider that this almost two-year absence of the Botafumeiro in action at the opened Cathedral while renovations are being completed necessarily means that there is building a pent-up demand, especially among groups. If they were planning to go on Camino as a group and pay to see the Botafumeiro, they necessarily need to wait until the 2021 season, or later.

Hence, there could be a surge in 2021 arrivals, especially among groups. These increased arrivals will be particularly acute during the period from Semana Santa / Holy Week 2021 through the end of October 2021.

According to Google, in 2021, Easter falls early, on 4 April, 2021. this means that Semana Santa starts one week earlier on Palm Sunday, 28 March, 2021.

Hence, if you are planning a Camino during the period late March - October 2021, carefully consider your options as to route. Do make advance accommodation reservations. And do remain flexible. The Camino Frances will be the most heavily used route. Hence, accommodations will likely be relatively more difficult along this, the most popular route.

So, having considered the reduction effect of the Botafumeiro not being on offer for most all of 2020, but back online and flying for all of 2021, my revised 2021 Holy Year estimate is now about 600,000, with a full 30 percent of this number arriving in groups. It was originally a range from a low of 650k to about 725k.

Add to these astonishing numbers, the factor for pilgrims who don't bother to get Compostelas. Perhaps, a third of those on various caminos. If you already have a Compostela, you may not strategize getting another; particularly if there is a number to get, etc... or, those who don't finish. Compostela or not, they are all on the trails.

Personally, in lieu of even planning to walk my annual Camino in 2021, my plan at present is to volunteer to work a second month. I plan to offer my service as a Pilgrim Office volunteer from around the third week of March 2021, as Semana Santa / Holy Week is on 28 March, through the ;last half of April. FYI, in 2021, Easter Sunday falls early, on 4 April. I usually return again to work from mid-July through mid-August.

For those who insist on walking during the Holy Year, plan ahead, make accommodation reservations, especially for large towns and cities on transportation lines, and remain flexible at all times. I do believe that the added volume of pilgrims, especially on the Camino Frances will bring about more challenges than in a normal year.

Hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My plan is to walk one of the less known routes and skip going anywhere near Santiago in 2021. After receiving five Compostelas, having my walk end in Santiago is not that important to me anymore.

DO stop by to obtain the 'solo sello' stamps to prove you made it to the Cathedral. They are free and do not involve waiting in any lines. Just ask the security guy, or tell him you only want solo sello. You will be in and out in less than five minutes.

This year, I plan to lobby for creating a dedicated solo sello counter or kiosks, or something so arriving pilgrims who want to formerly end their pilgrimage at Santiago, but who do not desire the Compostela can get the stamps with no fuss. Basically, i am seeking to 'skim off' maybe 10 percent of all arriving pilgrims to keep them out of the queues.

We shall see.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
For those Catholics out there who are so disposed, the Plenary Indulgence granted during the Holy Year DOES NOT require a pilgrimage per se. It only requires that you travel to the Cathedral, enter through the Holy Door (facing Plaza de Quintana), go to confession, attend Mass, take Holy communion, say a number of simple prayers for the Pope's intention. I think that is it, IIRC.

You can go through with veneration of the Apostle Saint's relics under the altar (in the huge silver casket), and the abrazo (hug) behind the main altar. But I am unclear whether those are actual requirements for the plenary indulgence, or just part of the traditional Pilgrim Welcome Ritual. I usually do all of the above, just to be on the safe side...

If there are any Catholic priests, religious, or other persons holier than me (most of you I am sure)... please correct me.

Hope this helps.

I was planning to walk my first Camino from early September 2021, but because of the crowds I've changed that now to late September. Hopefully the majority will have started by then. I have put my name forward to volunteer at an albergue in SJPDP for 2 weeks before I leave.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was planning to walk my first Camino from early September 2021, but because of the crowds I've changed that now to late September. Hopefully the majority will have started by then. I have put my name forward to volunteer at an albergue in SJPDP for 2 weeks before I leave.
A sound move...but, make reservations!

Thanks for all the advice here. A good reality check as far as numbers!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back