Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April 2022 Camino de Invierno

MaidinBham

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances SJPP to Muxia, April (2014)
Camino Portuguese Lisbon>Santiago, April/May (2016)
I had the most satisfying moment yesterday when I clicked the buy button for my AIRLINE TICKET TO MADRID!!! Camino de Invierno here I come. I know you guys can relate to the excitement and anticipation of returning to the Camino and the journey that awaits. I was originally thinking of walking from Leon to Santiago but really wasn't looking forward to that slog from Saria - my least favorite part of Camino Frances. So, I was intrigued to find this alternate way to Santiago. It looks beautiful from what I have read so far and still lots to learn as I only decided yesterday to make the trip. I will have some pre Camino nerves about whether I am up for the hills, (are they terrible?) and if I can lose this darn post pandemic weight! I look forward to reading all the post's and relishing the photo's from the Invierno. As always thanks for sharing.
Janice

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had the most satisfying moment yesterday when I clicked the buy button for my AIRLINE TICKET TO MADRID!!! Camino de Invierno here I come. I know you guys can relate to the excitement and anticipation of returning to the Camino and the journey that awaits. I was originally thinking of walking from Leon to Santiago but really wasn't looking forward to that slog from Saria - my least favorite part of Camino Frances. So, I was intrigued to find this alternate way to Santiago. It looks beautiful from what I have read so far and still lots to learn as I only decided yesterday to make the trip. I will have some pre Camino nerves about whether I am up for the hills, (are they terrible?) and if I can lose this darn post pandemic weight! I look forward to reading all the post's and relishing the photo's from the Invierno. As always thanks for sharing.
Janice
It's wonderful and the hills aren't terrible. Do pay attention to the availability of food, water and beds. Some long stretches with nothing.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
if I can lose this darn post pandemic weight!

I hear you! 😭

the hills, (are they terrible?)

Hmm, no, but there are some ups and downs, especialy the hike up to Villavieja/Cornatel (1st or 2nd day), and then the walk down and up from the river Belezar (somewhere in the middle of the journey). Apart from that, there is nothing really difficult about the terrain.

A fair warning: you run the risk of getting addicted to this Camino, and return to it several times!! I am walking it for the 5th time this summer, I hope!!

EDIT: Oh and there is a guidebook for this Camino made by fellow pilgrim Peregrina2000 & friends, on this forum. Have you found it? I recommend it!

/BP

There's that nice climb from Penasillas to Monte Faro which can be difficult when it rains .

I remember going up to the Ermita but due to inclement weather, visibility was very limited. On the way down, the wind turbines can be heard but not seen. A fox slowly crossed the trail from afar but as I approached, it ran away. It was an enchanting day in Spring on the Invierno on the way to Rodeiro.

Buen Camino!

There's that nice climb from Penasillas to Monte Faro which can be difficult when it rains .

I remember going up to the Ermita but due to inclement weather, visibility was very limited. On the way down, the wind turbines can be heard but not seen. A fox slowly crossed the trail from afar but as I approached, it ran away. It was an enchanting day in Spring on the Invierno on the way to Rodeiro.

Buen Camino!

Yes, the Monte is so beautiful, even in the fog and the rain...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just know there won't be bars every 5k or so, and (so far) relatively few services - unlike the ant trail of the Frances, it goes through rural untoristified Spain.

Which is a big part of the attraction. It is also seriously beautiful.

The hills are definitely hills, but relatively short even if there are some steep moments. Worth every drop of sweat!
Buen camino, @MaidinBham!

It's wonderful and the hills aren't terrible. Do pay attention to the availability of food, water and beds. Some long stretches with nothing.
Thanks for the tip - food, water, shelter. Seems like I will have pack lunch, snacks. And maybe not be able to eat two breakfasts' let alone one?
Janice

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I hear you! 😭

Hmm, no, but there are some ups and downs, especialy the hike up to Villavieja/Cornatel (1st or 2nd day), and then the walk down and up from the river Belezar (somewhere in the middle of the journey). Apart from that, there is nothing really difficult about the terrain.

A fair warning: you run the risk of getting addicted to this Camino, and return to it several times!! I am walking it for the 5th time this summer, I hope!!

EDIT: Oh and there is a guidebook for this Camino made by fellow pilgrim Peregrina2000 & friends, on this forum. Have you found it? I recommend it!

/BP
Thanks BP - yes I downloaded Peregrina2000 & friends guide, and I'm awaiting guidebook from forum shop.

It is reassuring that the hills are not too bad, and I shall tell myself daily, that it is not the end of the world if something unforeseen were to happen.

Janice

Just to be clear. There are some pretty steep bits. But they don't go on for long:
• Up to Villavieja
• From Belesar to San Pedro (parts)
• Right after Penasillas
Thanks VN, I am following your past Invierno. Your pics are amazing - were they taken on smart phone?
Janice

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Your pics are amazing - were they taken on smart phone?
Thank you! Yes, a Samsung.
I had a camera but stopped using it when the battery went flat - and was surprised to find how well the phone did. One less thing to carry!

Adding one more hill - after Ponte Ulla.
This didn't seem so bad but it was the start of my day. At the end it would have made much more of an impression.

Thank you! Yes, a Samsung.
I had a camera but stopped using it when the battery went flat - and was surprised to find how well the phone did. One less thing to carry!

Adding one more hill - after Ponte Ulla.
This didn't seem so bad but it was the start of my day. At the end it would have made much more of an impression.
Darn was hoping it was iPhone.
Making notes of the hills, and other tips in this subforum. Thanks
Janice

Oh, the lovely Invierno. It is one great camino.

The one diversion I would highly recommend is to take a short day from Monforte to stay at the Casa Rural Torre Vilariño and walk the 6 km circle that takes you to some fabulous viewpoints over the Miño River (an iconic horseshoe bend is really nice). There is also a small museum right next to Torre Vilariño. Others have really enjoyed it. It was closed when I stayed there (must have been a Monday), but I did get out to the castro (hill fort) nearby with another great view of the river. VN posted her GPS tracks on wikiloc for anyone wanting to follow the little loop, which also takes in a romanesque church (or maybe even two?).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh, the lovely Invierno. It is one great camino.

The one diversion I would highly recommend is to take a short day from Monforte to stay at the Casa Rural Torre Vilariño and walk the 6 km circle that takes you to some fabulous viewpoints over the Miño River (an iconic horseshoe bend is really nice). There is also a small museum right next to Torre Vilariño. Others have really enjoyed it. It was closed when I stayed there (must have been a Monday), but I did get out to the castro (hill fort) nearby with another great view of the river. VN posted her GPS tracks on wikiloc for anyone wanting to follow the little loop, which also takes in a romanesque church (or maybe even two?).
Thank you! I hope to walk it soon!

« The one diversion I would highly recommend is to take a short day from Monforte to stay at the Casa Rural Torre Vilariño and walk the 6 km circle that takes you to some fabulous viewpoints over the Miño River (an iconic horseshoe bend is really nice) »

THANKS Peregrina 2000, I will follow your advice in April when I will meet the Invierno for the first time. I have a lot of gratitude for all the beautiful work that you have done . I am walking that camino because of that, thanks again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back