• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April 8 Start from SJPP Accomodations

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2022
UPDATE: I made a booking request at Beilari. Once I posted the post below it was obvious to me what I should do. To have everything set on a big travel day. And after that, I put myself in the hands of the Camino.

So I've booked my transport to SJPP. I arrive at 7:15 PM, April 8th on the bus from Pamplona.I start in Toledo that day. Originally I was planing to start after Easter, but for various reasons it's not to be.

On a low budget here, so that's the context for these questions.

Can I depend on just walking into the muncipal hostel and finding a bunk? I cant find any web presence about the municipal, for instance, it's opening hours. I also looked at Beilari (37 Euros half board) .
Is SJPP the kind of place where I'll be able to find a grocery store in the evening? I've actually been there once, but it was just a brief visit in an auto.

I was originally planning on a slow first day and Orrison (38 Euros half board), and I see on their website to just call about bookings that week. So I won't know if I can stay there until a few days ahead

And then on to Roncevalles, but I wouldn't be sure what night, since I don't know about Orrison.

I guess the question is if anyone has experience that week before Easter with accomodations on that part of the Camino Frances? And has suggestions or advice. Thank you!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The big issue about this is if the way through Orison will even be open because of the weather. You may be able to make a reservation a few days before but the day you go it could be closed on your departure date and you will have to take the Valcarlos route. I would definitely recommend before you leave to check the weather at the pilgrim office. It can be dangerous because of weather conditions that time of the year.

The big issue about this is if the way through Orison will even be open because of the weather. You may be able to make a reservation a few days before but the day you go it could be closed on your departure date and you will have to take the Valcarlos route. I would definitely recommend before you leave to check the weather at the pilgrim office. It can be dangerous because of weather conditions that time of the year.
Very good advices

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Very good advices

I do know about the possibility that the pass is closed. Originally my start date was about April 15, because that seemed to be a normal time for it to be open. But I decided logistically it work better to move it forward. I appreciate the reminder, because it actually slipped my mind!

I’m not sure where, but I read somewhere that one can still get to Orison, and then if the pass is closed they arrange transport for you to the ValCarlos wrote.? Anybody know if that’s true?

Anyway, I’ll carefully look at the situation a few days before I go to SJPP, Since I’m in Spain for the week before that.. I think the bus I’m taking from Pamplona stops at Roncevallas, so conceivably I could just start from there instead.

I do know about the possibility that the pass is closed. Originally my start date was about April 15, because that seemed to be a normal time for it to be open. But I decided logistically it work better to move it forward. I appreciate the reminder, because it actually slipped my mind!

I’m not sure where, but I read somewhere that one can still get to Orison, and then if the pass is closed they arrange transport for you to the ValCarlos wrote.? Anybody know if that’s true?

Anyway, I’ll carefully look at the situation a few days before I go to SJPP, Since I’m in Spain for the week before that.. I think the bus I’m taking from Pamplona stops at Roncevallas, so conceivably I could just start from there instead.
Yes you can start there too. If the way to Roncesvalles is closed, the Napolean Route is closed all the way. The weather conditions will almost certainly be worse after Orison then walking up to Orison. Just take the Valcarlos route if it is closed and you want to start in St. Jean. The climb starts after Valcarlos. You can stop for the night in Valcarlos. It is about the same distance as walking to Orison. The climb starts after Valcarlos. If the weather is bad you have the option of walking on the road. I do not know if there is a bus option from Valcarlos but I am sure the Pilgrim office an tell you if the weather from Valcarlos is really bad.

Can I depend on just walking into the muncipal hostel and finding a bunk? I cant find any web presence about the municipal, for instance, it's opening hours. I also looked at Beilari (37 Euros half board) .
I realize that you worked this out already, but for others, you can always find municipal albergues on Gronze.com

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Arriving that late in Saint Jean I would have some concern about finding accommodation for the night if I had no arranged reservations already. If you do not make reservations ahead of time, there is some chance I suppose that the municipal albergue is not full. I would go there first. It is near the pilgrim's office, which is open that time in the evening. The pilgrim's office volunteers can also assist you in available accommodations and where an open grocer is.
No way to know the weather conditions over the Napoleon route. So unpredictable. If in doubt take the ValCarlos route. It is very lovely as well. If you are in good physical condition walk all the way to Roncesvalles. Not all that difficult and most pilgrims do just that. If you take the ValCarlos route and do not want to walk all the way to Roncesvalles, stay in the municipal in ValCarlos. It is inexpensive and nice and there is a grocer there nearby. Orrisson is kind of expensive and only a short walk from Saint Jean. Not a tight budget kind of place. The 38 euros you spend there could easily pay for 3-4 nights in municipals.
ultreia

I planned to walk the Napoleon on my first CF in 2013. I had already booked accommodations in Orrisson. Upon arriving in SJPdP, however, the Pilgrim Office informed me that the Nap was closed due to bad weather (this was mid-May).

I had decided ahead of time that, since my goal was to get to Santiago and to let Karma have its way, I took their advice and walked the Valcarlos. The route was fairly unknown to me since "everyone" walks and talks about the Nap.

The Valcarlos route was rough, no pulling punches. Most people would only walk it if the weather was already bad, so you were up against that. There was no uphill tempered with some downhill, it was uphill all the way. And, instead of splitting the walk to Roncevalles into two days as planned, I did it in one.

Although very cold, wet and muddy (the Nap would have been very cold, snowy and icy), the route was beautiful. Some of the Val goes along a major road connecting tiny villages and occasional taxis were tempting (one of my new traveling companions took one). Because of the road, there was a major rest stop about half-way which was very appreciated - clean restrooms, hot coffee, and was (drum roll, please) DRY.

I gutted it out, walked the entire day, and felt truly rewarded when I got to that little Chapel at the top.

My second CF, I was able to take the Nap (same time of year) and was finally able to stay at Orrison.

Both routes were memorable experiences for me and I wouldn't have traded either one for the world.

Buen Camino, my friend.

I realize that you worked this out already, but for others, you can always find municipal albergues on Gronze.com

Thanks for that! I had heard of gronze. com through this forum, but I have never looked at it. I didn’t realize that that is where you find all the municipals. Great information.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Valcarlos route was rough, no pulling punches. Most people would only walk it if the weather was already bad, so you were up against that. There was no uphill tempered with some downhill, it was uphill all the way. And, instead of splitting the walk to Roncevalles into two days as planned, I did it in one.
That is a subjective statement on the route. I do not want anyone who has not walked the Camino who is sifting through the various posts on this forum to be intimidated by it. If one is in good physical condition, especially the younger set, one can walk all the way to Roncesvalles from Saint Jean quite handily from either route. It is done everyday.

That is a subjective statement on the route. I do not want anyone who has not walked the Camino who is sifting through the various posts on this forum to be intimidated by it. If one is in good physical condition, especially the younger set, one can walk all the way to Roncesvalles from Saint Jean quite handily from either route. It is done everyday.
Sorry, sorry, didn't mean to disparage the Valcarlos. I absolutely agree that either route is done every day and makes a wonderful, memorable day on the CF. And if you are walking the CF a second time, try walking the route you did not take the first, whichever it was. That's what I did with zero regrets. Sorry I made the Valcarlos sound too intimidating. That was not my intent. It is certainly no easier than the Nap, if people are not walking it because they think it is too easy. It has beauty and challenges all its own.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back