• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April Camino

Crandall

Time of past OR future Camino
April (2020)
I originally planned to start my Camino the first of May 2020. I just don't know if I can wait that long. The only reason I was waiting was the weather. Can someone help me with a reasonable idea of what April weather might be? Better to wait till May? Any other reason to wait? Any reason April might be better? Thanks so much. I am so happy to be part of this community.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have started twice on April 14th. Both times (2016 and 2018) it was the first day the Napoleon route opened, but was subsequently closed again. In 2016 I used my poncho about 60% of the days. In 2018 I didn't pull it out once. In 2016, I walked in a blizzard to Cruz de Fero on May 12th. Weather is unpredictable and part of the experience, although I wouldn't go earlier than mid-April myself. It was very cold in sections; which I happen to find it easier to walk in the cold. My pack did weigh a lot more in the spring when I added rain gear, puffy jackets, light sleeping bag, gloves and a beanie. The spring is a very beautiful time of year and probably my favorite.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have started twice on April 14th. Both times (2016 and 2018) it was the first day the Napoleon route opened, but was subsequently closed again. In 2016 I used my poncho about 60% of the days. In 2018 I didn't pull it out once. In 2016, I walked in a blizzard to Cruz de Fero on May 12th. Weather is unpredictable and part of the experience, although I wouldn't go earlier than mid-April myself. It was very cold in sections; which I happen to find it easier to walk in the cold. My pack did weigh a lot more in the spring when I added rain gear, puffy jackets, light sleeping bag, gloves and a beanie. The spring is a very beautiful time of year and probably my favorite.
I was a few days ahead of Susan in both 2016 and 2018. All I can say is.....Yup. 2016 was cool and rainy for the most part. The first few days of 2018 were apocalyptic complete with flooded rivers and washed out trails, but then the sun came out and stayed out for the rest of the journey. One April of wet shoes, frost, and rain gear, and another in shorts and T-shirts.

You can't predict weather, you get what you get. Most inconvenient. Ignore this aspect, and go when you are ready. Its a mental and spiritual journey, not a beach holiday. I can't say which Camino I walked was "better", even though 2018 was a lot warmer and dryer.

Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
May 1 is a national holiday in both France and Spain - next year falling on a Friday meaning a looong weekend of festivities, not a good day to try and get somewhere unless you are already walking the Camino. April is my favorite for walking the Camino - fields of dried out sticks transform magically into vineyards framed by rose bushes, ankle-high grain fields flourish and grow high reflecting your shadow as you go, chilly mornings good for walking and never really hot in the afternoons, abundant wildflowers (hillsides of blue lobelia and the protected primavera hiding by the wayside) and village gardens, Semana Santa and Easter come early next year, April 5-12, a wonderful time to be on the Camino if somewhat crowded, after the holiday the numbers thin out. Can't remember just when, end of April/beginning of May is the Galicia Culture Festival in SdC lots of traditional songs, clothing, orchestra performing in the streets, crowded but fun. Buen Camino

I originally planned to start my Camino the first of May 2020. I just don't know if I can wait that long. The only reason I was waiting was the weather. Can someone help me with a reasonable idea of what April weather might be? Better to wait till May? Any other reason to wait? Any reason April might be better? Thanks so much. I am so happy to be part of this community.
I have walked the Camino in April & May repeatedly. I have had as few as 3 days of rain and as much as 2 weeks straight of rain. It will be what it will be.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Crandall:

I have started all my Camino's between March 23rd and April 11th. Spring in my opinion is a great time to walk but honestly my decision to walk then is based more on the convenience of that time of year.

Weather, imo, should not be the determining factor in deciding when to walk. It is just to unpredictable. My first two Camino's I walked the Napoleon route on March 23rd, no snow. Now you can not even consider this route prior to April 1st. That said, the ValCarlos route is better, imo. A much more gradual start, the break ValCarlos is a town with all the amenities and you still walk over the mountain.

The weather will vary from cold mornings in the mountains to very warm days on the Meseta. So come prepared. Rain gear is a must. That said, I have walked weeks w/o wearing it. It also serves as a nice wind break in the mornings.

Therefore, I do not think you decision should be based on what the weather might be but on what is the most convenient time for you. If you are prepared the weather should not be a factor and it is not predictable.

Ultreya,
Joe

PS: Easter week can be quite hectic but also very interesting. It Falls on April 12th this year.

April ( RUBBISH) I have done April last year and April this year and got caught with a lot of rain both times I would definable go for may start. By May the weather was a lot better. Good luck God bless. Start in April you'll need both of those wishes. PS I can hear all of you thinking, so why did you do April twice? Dont ask!.

Crandall:

I have started all my Camino's between March 23rd and April 11th. Spring in my opinion is a great time to walk but honestly my decision to walk then is based more on the convenience of that time of year.

Weather, imo, should not be the determining factor in deciding when to walk. It is just to unpredictable. My first two Camino's I walked the Napoleon route on March 23rd, no snow. Now you can not even consider this route prior to April 1st. That said, the ValCarlos route is better, imo. A much more gradual start, the break ValCarlos is a town with all the amenities and you still walk over the mountain.

The weather will vary from cold mornings in the mountains to very warm days on the Meseta. So come prepared. Rain gear is a must. That said, I have walked weeks w/o wearing it. It also serves as a nice wind break in the mornings.

Therefore, I do not think you decision should be based on what the weather might be but on what is the most convenient time for you. If you are prepared the weather should not be a factor and it is not predictable.

Ultreya,
Joe

PS: Easter week can be quite hectic but also very interesting. It Falls on April 12th this year.
Well said, Joe...and as a highlight I really enjoyed our meet up today!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
April ( RUBBISH) I have done April last year and April this year and got caught with a lot of rain both times I would definable go for may start. By May the weather was a lot better. Good luck God bless. Start in April you'll need both of those wishes. PS I can hear all of you thinking, so why did you do April twice? Dont ask!.
I have started mid-April on my five various caminos and have always had very minimal rain. I love the spring and leave on April 19th this coming year...it's my birthday!
That said, I never leave home without rain gear..."just in case"!

My first ever Camino starts on April 5th 2020. It never dawned on me that I was starting my walk in Palm Sunday. I was too busy working out the duration with the time off I have. So I booked albergues ahead up to Pamplona. Should I book up to and including Easter Sunday on April 12th? I am geared up for all the above mentioned weather.

Just booked a flight for April 15th 2020 into Paris. Yay! Probably start the 17th or so. I will not be on a schedule so I will be able to adjust for any variables. Thanks for all the help!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What Chris said:
I have started mid-April on my five various caminos and have always had very minimal rain. I love the spring
This is my experience, too, multiple times. April is a wonderful month to walk - everything is blooming and the trees are coming into leaf. Sure, it can rain. But it can rain in May, too. Torrentially. So it's a gamble that's not worth trying to fix. You can't.

I originally planned to start my Camino the first of May 2020. I just don't know if I can wait that long.
The sooner you start the sooner it will be all over. 😢
I would wait, because I would want to delay the inevitable end as long as possible.

I plan to do my first camino France in April 2020, haven't decided whether to start early or mid April. Hope to see you then.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Crandall said,
>>Just booked a flight ..... will not be on a schedule so I will be able to adjust for any variables.
This is the best way to go! They say the Camino starts when you leave your own door but in the modern world perhaps it starts when you commit to the air ticket.

My first ever Camino starts on April 5th 2020. It never dawned on me that I was starting my walk in Palm Sunday. I was too busy working out the duration with the time off I have. So I booked albergues ahead up to Pamplona. Should I book up to and including Easter Sunday on April 12th? I am geared up for all the above mentioned weather.
We are starting our first Camino in April - Arrive SJPDP on the 4th and the journey starts 6th April - fingers crossed for many dry days.... :)🌞🌞

We are starting our walk Lisboa to Santiago on 14/04/2020. What ever the weather brings our way we will deal with.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Myself and a friend start walking our second Camino on 19th March. To hell with the weather is our atitude, what will be will be. Just go well prepared and enjoy it.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back