• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April Fool - New Credential from midnight tonight - 1 Euro a Sello

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi. Some important news for us all. The Spanish interior ministry, in association with the tourism ministries of the regions that the various Caminos go through and the pilgrim's office in Santiago are introducing a new official Credential.

The Camino Inglese is excluded from this new regulation as the interior minister said that the English have enough money problems at home without adding more.

The new Credentials will be available from midnight tonight. They will be sold at 25 Euros and each Sello (stamp) that one adds to it will be charged at 1 Euro. There are two bar codes on the new Credential. When one buys the Credential one's personal details and passport information will be taken and entered into a computer program, and a specific barcode number will be issued. This is expected to take less than one hour, definitely not more than two hours.
This means that every time you have the Credential stamped the barcode (there is also a modern mobile app code on the inner first page as well for refugio owners without internet access) will be scanned.

This is a positive step, say the Spanish ministry, as if a pilgrim fails to appear at a refugio the emergency services can quickly be informed that a pilgrim is missing, even being able to give their name and nationality and personal details such as hair and eyes colour and foot size as well as weight of pack and even if they are carrying an electric coil. Knowing exactly where every single pilgrim is is a great leap forward as it finally harmonises Spain with the modern 'Big Brother' nations.
The second positive reason is that, say the ministry, this will root out those who drive along the Camino and falsely attempt to gain Sellos to get a Compostela, which apparently the Church of Rome is very much against.

The aim of the insignificantly small fee for buying and using the new Credential is is to raise funds in a fair way from pilgrims to keep the Caminos in tip top condition. When enough funds are raised it is proposed to concrete all 790 kms of the Camino de Santiago and there is also the exciting possibility of eventually fitting solar powered escalators at the more difficult sections of the Napoleon Pass to Roncesvalles and the walk up to Cruz de Ferro.

As you can see it is quite fair as those who walk further and therefore use the infrastructure more will gain more Sellos and therefore pay more.

All in all this seems a fair and positive step forward to organising pilgrims in a fair and modern manner.
Those, from tomorrow, who are already on Camino with at least one Sello/Stamp in their current Credential may continue to Santiago without getting the new one.

All McDonalds outlets within 5 kms of the Caminos will give a 50 centime reduction on presentation and scanning of the credential off their new McPeregrino/a-Burger!

Remember, this comes into force at midnight tonight (end of March 31st) Spanish time.

Here are two sample photos of the new official Credential. - Foreign Credentials will be invalid.

new credential front (455 x 730).jpg new credential inner (438 x 552).jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Fabulous ..... Though for a moment I got quite excited about the solar powered escalators :))

What about England losing yet again at cricket to Holland! Now that is an April **** who could possibly make that one up David!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not at all! the new regulations don't come in until midnight Spanish time!!! ;)

and Australia are hours ahead of us, for them it is already tomorrow (sort of thing)

Hello David,

My last Camino was a fairly long one but in terms of costs..........................................
11 x CREDENTIALS @ 25E =........................................................................................275.00E
448 SELLOS.............@ 1E =..........................................................................................448.00E
TOTAL AMOUN DUE....................................................................................................723.00E

A VERY SMALL PRICE TO PAY FOR THINNING OUT THE NUMBERS OF PILGRIMS WALKING THE CAMINO TOTALLY PROHIBITATIVE FOR THE POCKETS OF THE POOR.
IN TIME AFTER THE SOLAR POWERED SECTIONS YOU RECOMMEND, WE COULD JOIN THEM ALL UP THUS HAVING THE VERY FIRST TOTAL ELECTRIFICATION OF A CAMINO NAMELY THE SOLARCAMINO ELECTROFRANCES LINE.
ALL FUTURE PILGRIMS ARRIVING TO SANTIAGO WITHOUT THE NEED OF TRAINS, BUSES OR TAXIS.

THIS WILL SOON BE A VERY SELECT CLUB.
I'M GOING BACK TO WORK TOMORROW AFTER 13 YEARS RETIREMENT. I NEED THE MONEY FOR THIS YEARS CAMINO.

This is a great idea. It will save me messing around with any more pilgrim-counting spreadsheets as the pilgrims will be automatically counted. Also, the real-time knowledge of pilgrims‘ locations will allow targeted ‘e-leafleting‘ by albergues, which will reduce litter. No more litter picking trips for me! I am slightly worried that some old-fashioned pilgrims will walk along the side of the newly concreted path and cause erosion. Hopefully they‘ll build an eight foot wall either side of the path to prevent this. And peeing behind bushes.

This is a great idea. It will save me messing around with any more pilgrim-counting spreadsheets as the pilgrims will be automatically counted. Also, the real-time knowledge of pilgrims‘ locations will allow targeted ‘e-leafleting‘ by albergues, which will reduce litter. No more litter picking trips for me! I am slightly worried that some old-fashioned pilgrims will walk along the side of the newly concreted path and cause erosion. Hopefully they‘ll build an eight foot wall either side of the path to prevent this. And peeing behind bushes.

Hello Tyrrek,

" HIKING IS JUST WALKINGWHERE IT IS OK TO PEE "

BEEN THERE, SEEN IT, GOT THE T SHIRT.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
.....I am slightly worried that some old-fashioned pilgrims will walk along the side of the newly concreted path and cause erosion.....
This could be solved by taking all the aggregate built up around Cruz de Fero and laying it alongside the concrete for the old-fashioned Pilgrims to walk on. That stone pile is getting far to high and is clearly a health and safety hazard for those who chose to climb it.

The Spanish are following a European trend of maintaining and "improving" sites of National Beauty. Concreting and improving pathways is very popular here in Ireland despite much protest by walking groups..Mourne Mts, Wicklow Hills all improved by stones and concrete paving, definitely the "Way" forward. And we have to "pay" for all the best things in life, as an avid consumer I will be much happier getting my Visa swiped at each alberque to contribute to this fine enterprising idea. As I walk the roman road on the Plata I will admire and enjoy each joint tremble on the large ancient pavings and anticipate a return to the Frances when the proposed improvement scheme is completed. Thanks for the heads up David. You know a "rewards" scheme can now be introduced also, credit towards Ryanair flights I suggest , obviously only those of us who walk entire Caminos!, long distances! will benefit the most, roll on midnight tonight.

Hang on .. I am getting the feeling that some readers don't believe that my post it true .................. :(
I do. It is clearly in line with Johnnie Walkers new efficiency drives in the pilgrms' office which are so lauded by the Galician Administration.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi. Some important news for us all. The Spanish interior ministry, in association with the tourism ministries of the regions that the various Caminos go through and the pilgrim's office in Santiago are introducing a new official Credential.

The Camino Inglese is excluded from this new regulation as the interior minister said that the English have enough money problems at home without adding more.

The new Credentials will be available from midnight tonight. They will be sold at 25 Euros and each Sello (stamp) that one adds to it will be charged at 1 Euro. There are two bar codes on the new Credential. When one buys the Credential one's personal details and passport information will be taken and entered into a computer program, and a specific barcode number will be issued. This is expected to take less than one hour, definitely not more than two hours.
This means that every time you have the Credential stamped the barcode (there is also a modern mobile app code on the inner first page as well for refugio owners without internet access) will be scanned.

This is a positive step, say the Spanish ministry, as if a pilgrim fails to appear at a refugio the emergency services can quickly be informed that a pilgrim is missing, even being able to give their name and nationality and personal details such as hair and eyes colour and foot size as well as weight of pack and even if they are carrying an electric coil. Knowing exactly where every single pilgrim is is a great leap forward as it finally harmonises Spain with the modern 'Big Brother' nations.
The second positive reason is that, say the ministry, this will root out those who drive along the Camino and falsely attempt to gain Sellos to get a Compostela, which apparently the Church of Rome is very much against.

The aim of the insignificantly small fee for buying and using the new Credential is is to raise funds in a fair way from pilgrims to keep the Caminos in tip top condition. When enough funds are raised it is proposed to concrete all 790 kms of the Camino de Santiago and there is also the exciting possibility of eventually fitting solar powered escalators at the more difficult sections of the Napoleon Pass to Roncesvalles and the walk up to Cruz de Ferro.

As you can see it is quite fair as those who walk further and therefore use the infrastructure more will gain more Sellos and therefore pay more.

All in all this seems a fair and positive step forward to organising pilgrims in a fair and modern manner.
Those, from tomorrow, who are already on Camino with at least one Sello/Stamp in their current Credential may continue to Santiago without getting the new one.

All McDonalds outlets within 5 kms of the Caminos will give a 50 centime reduction on presentation and scanning of the credential off their new McPeregrino/a-Burger!

Remember, this comes into force at midnight tonight (end of March 31st) Spanish time.

Here are two sample photos of the new official Credential. - Foreign Credentials will be invalid.

View attachment 8996 View attachment 8997
:D:D:D

This must an April Fool's joke since Europe is so much more advanced that using simple bar and QR codes.

I would think sometime in the near future (like next year), all qualified pilgrims will carry micro chip swipe cards, that will not only validate their authority to stay in the various albergues but provide real time tracking via global GPS systems, so love ones can stay connected to you while you away walking the camino.

With a simple swipe pilgrims can not only collect sellos at all participating albergues, but earn valuable Facebook points, redeemable on future purchases of qualified goods and services. At the same time you can snap photos and wirelessly transfer these to the swipe card for instance uploading to your Facebook page earning you additional Facebook likes and more valuable points.

Furthermore Google will provide integrated real time GPS positioning and data flow for those pilgrims wearing Ray-Ban Google Glass sunglasses (trademarked) designed specifically for the modern pilgrim. Real time weather reports, geo spatial terrain data, including distances to the next town, locals services, etc, combined with entertaining first person accounts of local historical information will be available at the flick of an eye lid.

Last edited:
This must an April Fool's joke since Europe is so much more advanced that using simple bar and QR codes.

With a simple of the swipe pilgrims can not only collect sellos at all participating albergues, but earn valuable Facebook points, redeemable on future purchases of qualified goods and services. At the same time you can snap photos and wirelessly transfer these to the swipe card for instance uploading to your Facebook page earning you additional Facebook likes and more valuable points.
Jirit:
You are killing me!!!
I think it is all Ivar's evil plan to take over the Camino! World domination one Sello at a time...or is that one Euro at a time?

Rambler
Searching for my digital credential

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pilgrims who return repeatedly to the caminos can soon sign up for an inexpensive and convenient Credencial Chip Implant, which will enable them to whiz past the queues at albergues and claim the lower bunks they so richly deserve, all that the (literal) wave of a hand!
For a mere 300 Euro donativo, (600 with anesthesia) the Repeat Offender can have a lifetime of Pilgrim Authenticity inserted subdermally by highly-trained volunteer hospitaleros. Optional extras include scallop-shell tattoos to "mark the spot," and a permanent GPS marker to signal all fellow chip-wearers when they pass the place along the trail where the wearer finally expires.

Pilgrims who return repeatedly to the caminos can soon sign up for an inexpensive and convenient Credencial Chip Implant, which will enable them to whiz past the queues at albergues and claim the lower bunks they so richly deserve, all that the (literal) wave of a hand!
For a mere 300 Euro donativo, (600 with anesthesia) the Repeat Offender can have a lifetime of Pilgrim Authenticity inserted subdermally by highly-trained volunteer hospitaleros. Optional extras include scallop-shell tattoos to "mark the spot," and a permanent GPS marker to signal all fellow chip-wearers when they pass the place along the trail where the wearer finally expires.

The concept of a "loyalty program" for serial pilgrims is also being considered. You would earn points to achieve levels such as #1 Iron, #2 Bronze, #3 Silver, #4 Gold and #5 Platinum, and pilgrims would then be able to redeem these points at albergues, hostals, casa rurals and hotels along the caminos. Should one achieve the Gold or Platiinum level, points could be redeemed at Paradors. Points would expire every 12 months if unused.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The concept of a "loyalty program" for serial pilgrims is also being considered. You would earn points to achieve levels such as #1 Iron, #2 Bronze, #3 Silver, #4 Gold and #5 Platinum, and pilgrims would then be able to redeem these points at albergues, hostals, casa rurals and hotels along the caminos. Should one achieve the Gold or Platiinum level, points could be redeemed at Paradors. Points would expire every 12 months if unused.

This sounds uncomfortably close to the Plenipotentiary Indulgence!

Its easy to count pilgrims tyrrek, just count the legs and divide by two, we use that method for counting sheep except we divide by four. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've had it on good authority that participating albergues on the Frances will waive the 1 euro sello fee if the pilgrim is willing to carry out a mere 10 minutes of the more onerous housekeeping duties such as cleaning the loos. All cleaning tools provided except elbow grease. ;)

Love it! Thank you all for the entertainment. No doubt when I next return to the Camino, and find myself facing a challenging day ( or yet another top bunk), I will reflect on the genius behind these ideas and wish that I had sent my payment to the appropriate agency early on!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Brilliant idea! This is exactly why I'm waiting until next year to walk my first Camino, as I'm sure they will have linked the escalators by then to provide one continous rolling road. I am, of course expecting there to be McDonalds/Coke bars every few yards or so, so that we can be fortified with healthy food to combat all that onerous standing around! ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just hope that no one brings this original post to the notice of the Spanish Tourist Authorities - they just silly enough to introduce such a revenue raising procedure.
David - thanks for the laughs. I can see that our fellow pilgrims all still have their sense of humour. Cheers

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.