• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

[APRIL FOOL!] Weight restrictions on Camino Frances

S

Sojourner47

Due to continuing erosion of many sections, caused by the constant passage of pilgrims, the authorities have decided to introduce a weight limit on backpacks/cases/trolleys. All baggage will be limited to 5 kilogrammes; excess will be charged for.
Checkpoints manned by volunteers will be set up every 50 kilometres , packs will be assessed and passports stamped accordingly.
It is hoped these measures will prevent further damage to this fragile environment.
Reaction from walkers was mixed.
One peregrina, who declined to give her name, said, "how can I manage with only 3 sets of spare clothes? It's impossible".
Others were more positive. Stel Llamedos, from northern Europe, pointed out that most pilgrims carry far too much, and this would encourage them to concentrate on the essentials.
The checking stations are due to open on April 1st.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Re: Weight restrictions on Camino Frances

Sojourner47 said:
Checkpoints manned by volunteers will be set up every 50 kilometres , packs will be assessed and passports stamped accordingly. The checking stations are due to open on April 1st.
This is yet another anti-pilgrim measure already doomed to failure. Pilgrims have already made plans to use the ubiquitous "Radio Camino" gossip channel to find out where the checkpoints are, and will don extra layers of clothing and belongings on their person approximately 250m before they reach each checkpoint. Pilgrims got this idea from fellow pilgrims who were obliged to find ways around certain budget airlines luggage limits.
Margaret
:lol: :shock: :roll:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Sojourner47 said:
...... the authorities have decided to introduce a weight limit on backpacks/cases/trolleys. All baggage will be limited to 5 kilogrammes; excess will be charged for.
Checkpoints manned by volunteers will be set up every 50 kilometres , packs will be assessed and passports stamped accordingly.
Is the route now being sponsored by Ryanair? :wink:

Dear Sojourner,

Sorry – I have to inform you that you have only got half of your information correct (from where did you get this faulty information?)

From confidential sources (which are in the extreme trustworthy), I have recently learned that it is not only necessarily the weight of the backpack which seems to be the sole problem, but the combined weight of the backpack and of the carrier.

At the 50 km checkpost, they will – from April 1 - not only weigh the backpack BUT the total weight of the backpack and its carrier.

I am sorry that I have not been able to find out which combined weight of backback and carrier will be applied by the authorities to refuse that pilgrims can continue on their camino.

Personally, I certainly support the proposed measures for protecting the fragile environment. Thank you very much Sojourner for calling our attention to this important question.

Kindest, Annelise

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Actually, Annelises information is correct (or rather was) They did plan to include the peregrinos in the weight equation, however, this raised an out cry among the women living along the Camino as men as a general are heavier than women and they were afraid of what the hordes of peregrinas without peregrinos would do to the demographics of the camino as well as their marriages

they then considered to have different measures for male and females, but as this would do nothing for the erosion problem they are currently talking about a bus soluion driving the peregrinos past the endangered sections. This is also expected to give a boost to the spanish economy as the bussees wont be able to stay at the albergues and thus have to spend the extra money on guesthouses and hotels

Well I have been doing practice walks each weekend for my walk in June. I do 32kms

To Make it real I am walking with backpack.

Well 1st week I had 7.5kgs.. with all the stuff mentioned on all those blogs.. Changes of clothes.. etc.. every nice to have.

After walking 32km... it certainly does make you think of every single thing in your backpack and I have reduced it to 5kgs.. Will probably go from 5 to 6 if I carry water.

For sure you don't want to be walking with more than 5kgs if you can help it.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1488746

Sojourner47 said:
Due to continuing erosion of many sections, caused by the constant passage of pilgrims, the authorities have decided to introduce a weight limit on backpacks/cases/trolleys. All baggage will be limited to 5 kilogrammes; excess will be charged for.
This will no doubt siphon a large number of pilgrims off the Camino Francés to the benefit of alternative routes and keen hospitality facilities. Whether the charges will be "innovative" and/or "sustainable" is another question which will no doubt torment the "authorities". :roll:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I have to admit this is a good one *grin*... Just for the record I will be giving all my gear to my husband to carry ... yeah that's the ticket ... works for me ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Just my luck! I start from St. Jean on April 1. I guess at the slow rate that I'll be walking, the Spanish authorities will have changed the restrictions by the time I get to the border. LOL :lol:

Hope to see some of you on the trail. Buen Camino.

Hieu

Mysticl... why would you condem your husband to sleeping someplace else without you because you didn't want to be over pack weight and he has to be bussed for carrying his AND your items?

I haven't made a Camino yet but I am wondering just how hard could it be to get around those stations. The fine takes effect from April first... why couldn't helpful peregrinos passing by before hand put up false yellow arrows for them to set up at? While they think all pilgrimages have stopped we can quietly tip toe past on the real path. Of course if we need to weigh peregrinos those that over indulge in tapas probably wont be tip toeing anywhere. :lol::lol::lol:

Sent using Tapatalk.

Freetime ... it was a joke :mrgreen:

First off I would never expect my husband to carry my gear ... and I am pretty sure he wouldn't agree even if I did :lol:

Second, Since I can't get my husband to carry my gear I may have to resort to this nifty gadget!
equipment-questions/topic13304.html

Third, you might want to re read all the relevant posts on this thread to get a more complete picture of the actual discussion happening here ... Hint: it helps to read between the lines and have a sense of humour ... and I don't mean that in mean spirited way ... it's part of the hint ;)

Have a great day!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Gotcha!!!!

I saw it immediately.. just playing along myself... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sent using Tapatalk.

Hmmmm. I think this could be quite an efficient system. Under this plan we could send any extra gear home from the very first day rather than carrying it for days and days and days and then mailing it home.

Has anyone read the fine print? Does it say anything about technology? Is it still permitted to just walk the camino?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Wow! 5kgs is not much. My backpack empty weighs 1.8kgs ( I've tried lighter packs but for some reason they hurt my back), add 2 litres of water and I'm up to 3.8kg - only 1.2 for change of clothing, wet weather poncho, liner, medication, toiletries... :? Any feedback on how much the fine will be? I was planning on about 7kg. Maybe the baggage transfer businesses will be the winners!

I'm glad you enjoyed it, guys - I have to keep up the tradition now (See my last year's post about the Channel Tunnel route.... :D )
Posted a mite early as I'm off next Friday on the CF (pack definitely less than 5kgs) and I wanted to get the reaction.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

The trick is to pass these checkpoints at siesta time! Anne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Sojourner et al,

this brought back wonderful memories of a very real porter bag weight check that is done at the start of the ascent of Mount Kilimanjaro. To avoid embarrassment at the official weight check, there was a a preliminary check arranged at the hotel to ensure that porter bags were within the mandated weight limit.

Most people had packed well within the limit, but I smile at the apparent distress of the woman who had to leave about a kilogram of make-up behind to get her bag weight down to the limit. I still wonder at the thought one might need any make-up for the six days we were going to be on the mountain, leave alone that one might need a kilogram of the stuff :| .

Regards,

Maybe she was a cosmotologist and wanted to practice her trade on the porters. If that is the case she would need a kilo worth. :shock:

Sent using Tapatalk.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Is there any official website that says this information? I am planning to travel very light, everything I got for the journey is ultra light, but still 5 kilos sounds impossible for me. and we can always just take a detour around those checkpoints, right?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back