• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April-May 2023 Route Undecided

Gavala

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances April 2023
I've been reading so much from within the forum which has been a great help in planning my Camino however I've still to decide which route to take mid April through May 2023.

The VDLP has been my favoured route from the start, however through reading and watching V-logs I see that some days pilgrims don't see another on route which bothers me a little. Maybe rare but it happens.

The Frances route being the most popular gives me the opposite concern and something I feel wanting to avoid, so am contemplating something in between.

The Camhino Portugues Lisboa-Porto-Sant sounds like it could be perfect and especially if crossing from the coastal to central route to experience the best of both, so is top of my research list so far unless I could be convinced by the VDLP.

My plans are completely flexible although next Spring is for certain as I've wanted to take part long before joining the forum.

Having to pay for taxis or hotels is not a problem should albergues be full or closed. For me personally it is the mileage and people which are important and not the snoring!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've been reading so much from within the forum which has been a great help in planning my Camino however I've still to decide which route to take mid April through May 2023.

The VDLP has been my favoured route from the start, however through reading and watching V-logs I see that some days pilgrims don't see another on route which bothers me a little. Maybe rare but it happens.

The Frances route being the most popular gives me the opposite concern and something I feel wanting to avoid, so am contemplating something in between.

The Camhino Portugues Lisboa-Porto-Sant sounds like it could be perfect and especially if crossing from the coastal to central route to experience the best of both, so is top of my research list so far unless I could be convinced by the VDLP.

My plans are completely flexible although next Spring is for certain as I've wanted to take part long before joining the forum.

Having to pay for taxis or hotels is not a problem should albergues be full or closed. For me personally it is the mileage and people which are important and not the snoring!

If you start the week after Easter there will be many pilgrims leaving Seville. I met many wonderful people this year.

I am a similar situation. Considering April 2023 as well and I cannot decide between the Camino Frances (would be a 2nd), VdlP and Norte . 🧐 ... all so different and it also depends on my life situation next year / how much time I can spare.
If you want to meet many, the CF would be the choice I guess. To max mileage the VdlP and to experience the sea and coastal landscape it would be the Norte. Tough decisions ;-)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From the short start of the thread I assume this will be your first Camino?

If that is the case, many of us realize very quickly that we either love having the personal relationships we build as we walk or find that we prefer a quiet less traveled route. That said, it really surprised me that I found the relationships forged along the way much more important. Yet on my next I will take much more quiet routes, just to see if I can take the isolation for extended periods.
In any case whatever route you choose it will be a personal journey.
Buen Camino
Keith

Nothing like the Camino Frances! SJPDP to Finisterre!! Walked the Portugese, The Norte, the Primitivo and there is NO comparison to doing the Frances. Carry your own pack and stay in the Municipal albergues. You will meet amazing people in the Donation Albergues. Learn that we are all EQUAL!

Walked the Portugese, The Norte, the Primitivo and there is NO comparison to doing the Frances.
I too have walked the Norte (not primitivo but entire Norte) Frances, Portuguese, VDLP, Le Puy to Santiago and of course have walked to Finistere and to Muxia. I would agree there is no comparison to the Frances. But the Frances is no comparison to the Norte or Le Puy or any of the others. Each is completely different. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Each is an experience all its own. This year I will walk the Aragones to Logrono in October and then go to Madrid and walk the Camino Madrid to Sahagun. I may continue on the CF or may scoot over to Portugal and walk the coastal from Porto or if I have time start in Lisbon. I personally love the experience of new caminos, new villages, new pilgrims new sights. There is the pilgrim spirit on all caminos with peregrinos. But there are differences in what type of camino a pilgrim may want based on the camino they walk. Yes the Frances may be the best for a new and inexperienced person because the infrastructure is better and there are more people. I appreciate and cherish my CF caminos. Now I walk much later in the year, well into December to avoid the crowds and the heat and other things that are just even more personal preferences.
I walked the VDLP last year starting in mid October. It was still hot and I didn't see more than about 5 pilgrims in total during the day. It was more expensive due to the fact that most kitchens were still closed. Had to eat out often. Many places did not serve until 9PM or later as outside of the albergues, many which were still closed people do not cater at all to pilgrims. It is not a real source of income for them. That does not mean they are not nice. There are some really long stages sometimes nothing from when you begin until where you will sleep. A little more planning is involved. Being I walked later in the year and we were still coming out of Covid restrictions choices of places to stay were fewer.
Going in April of next year I am sure will be very different in terms of numbers of people and open albergues and kitchens. Finally because of the time of year that I walked, the seasons changing to winter and the general landscape of much of the VDLP I found it to be way more of a mental than a physical challenge. But that is what makes it unique and no comparison to the Portuguese or the the Frances.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Before writing a replies to your kind suggestions I wanted to thank you all for taking the time. I've spent so long reading the forum and its wealth of advice through conversations that it feels good to now be asking for advice for myself.

If you start the week after Easter there will be many pilgrims leaving Seville. I met many wonderful people this year.
This is such a good point to consider. Did you start at a similar time this year?

I am a similar situation. Considering April 2023 as well and I cannot decide between the Camino Frances (would be a 2nd), VdlP and Norte . 🧐 ... all so different and it also depends on my life situation next year / how much time I can spare.
If you want to meet many, the CF would be the choice I guess. To max mileage the VdlP and to experience the sea and coastal landscape it would be the Norte. Tough decisions ;-)
Thanks Alex. To be honest the CF hasn't appealed previously but maybe it should be the first as everyone seems to have done it at some point.
I do hope that you find the time to walk the Comino you are hoping for.

From the short start of the thread I assume this will be your first Camino?

If that is the case, many of us realize very quickly that we either love having the personal relationships we build as we walk or find that we prefer a quiet less traveled route. That said, it really surprised me that I found the relationships forged along the way much more important. Yet on my next I will take much more quiet routes, just to see if I can take the isolation for extended periods.
In any case whatever route you choose it will be a personal journey.
Buen Camino
Keith
Thanks Keith and yes it will be my first Camino. I've experienced Camino culture having worked on a French Albergue many years ago whilst touring Europe on a motorcycle. I was working on the private side of the property but often ate with pilgrims and is how I first discovered modern Pilgrimages.
I imagined the Frances would simply not be my thing but I'm coming around.

Nothing like the Camino Frances! SJPDP to Finisterre!! Walked the Portugese, The Norte, the Primitivo and there is NO comparison to doing the Frances. Carry your own pack and stay in the Municipal albergues. You will meet amazing people in the Donation Albergues. Learn that we are all EQUAL!
Is this a conspiracy to get me on the Frances? :)

I too have walked the Norte (not primitivo but entire Norte) Frances, Portuguese, VDLP, Le Puy to Santiago and of course have walked to Finistere and to Muxia. I would agree there is no comparison to the Frances. But the Frances is no comparison to the Norte or Le Puy or any of the others. Each is completely different. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Each is an experience all its own. This year I will walk the Aragones to Logrono in October and then go to Madrid and walk the Camino Madrid to Sahagun. I may continue on the CF or may scoot over to Portugal and walk the coastal from Porto or if I have time start in Lisbon. I personally love the experience of new caminos, new villages, new pilgrims new sights. There is the pilgrim spirit on all caminos with peregrinos. But there are differences in what type of camino a pilgrim may want based on the camino they walk. Yes the Frances may be the best for a new and inexperienced person because the infrastructure is better and there are more people. I appreciate and cherish my CF caminos. Now I walk much later in the year, well into December to avoid the crowds and the heat and other things that are just even more personal preferences.
I walked the VDLP last year starting in mid October. It was still hot and I didn't see more than about 5 pilgrims in total during the day. It was more expensive due to the fact that most kitchens were still closed. Had to eat out often. Many places did not serve until 9PM or later as outside of the albergues, many which were still closed people do not cater at all to pilgrims. It is not a real source of income for them. That does not mean they are not nice. There are some really long stages sometimes nothing from when you begin until where you will sleep. A little more planning is involved. Being I walked later in the year and we were still coming out of Covid restrictions choices of places to stay were fewer.
Going in April of next year I am sure will be very different in terms of numbers of people and open albergues and kitchens. Finally because of the time of year that I walked, the seasons changing to winter and the general landscape of much of the VDLP I found it to be way more of a mental than a physical challenge. But that is what makes it unique and no comparison to the Portuguese or the the Frances.
Thank you this is very helpful. There are some key words in there which have me questioning wanting an amount of peace but not solitude, so me being particular is probably something I should drop now before going any further.
Out of season I can imagine would be difficult for a newcomer but I can appreciate you doing this with some experience under your belt.

I'll do some targeted forum research evenings and book a flight by this Saturdays end. Thank you.

May I suggest you start on the Camino Aragon which then leads into the CF at Puente la Reina? You’ll have a week of peace and solitude while meeting just a few pilgrims at some really interesting Albergues (Canfranc Pueblo, Arres) plus you can visit several great cultural sites (San Juan de la Peña, Foz de Lumbier, Castle Javier). You can start at Somport or, if it’s a late snow, Canfranc Estacion (reached via train or bus from Barcelona, Madrid, Zaragoza, and more). Even during Holy Week, there is plenty of beds available.

And on a personal note, my wife and I will be hospitaleros at the newish albergue in Canfranc Pueblo the first two weeks of April 2023 and would love some Pilgrim company! 😂

May I suggest you start on the Camino Aragon which then leads into the CF at Puente la Reina? And on a personal note, my wife and I will be hospitaleros at the newish albergue in Canfranc Pueblo the first two weeks of April 2023 and would love some Pilgrim company! 😂

Since posting that I've been looking at the Aragon and the landscape looks attractive however I'm going to look further into the weather there at that time of year.

Hospitaleros?! You're there a little earlier than I'd planned but because I've complete flexibility of when and how long it could happen.

I purchased my first Camino items today. An Osprey Stratos 36L backpack, 2 Flashdry T-Shirts and a Rab Nexus fleece. I already have the 26L Stratos but went with the Camino consensus of 35-40. No deliberation over pack size needed!

For men I can highly recommend Pulchram underwear which I'll be taking on the camino. I use them for work as they're cool in hot weather, incredibly light and quick to dry. Try them, you'll be thankful you did.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Decision made. I'd imagined it would be any one of the other but after all the advice both here and privately I have decided to do the Frances from SJDP.

Thank you all for your help.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.