• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April-May Trip Report

Jessalk

Time of past OR future Camino
CF en of April 2015
I've just returned home, and thought I'd share my experience. Of course, it's so different for everyone, but I thought I'd add my perspective. First to say, it was such an incredible experience! It was more than I could have hoped for, and nothing like I'd expected. It was so much better.

So, based on information I was seeking before I left, here's how it all worked out:
I hiked late April, to late May. Starting in St. Jean.
In terms of preparation for this, I was physically fit, I generally did 5 days of high intensity cardio/week. I've done a lot of hiking in my past, but primarily shorter, high altitude treks with porters. Or day trips. Had never carried my own bag. And I certainly was not in trekking shape. I suppose it's worth noting I'm in my late twenties. I did one long hike per week (20-30km), and then 5-10km per day during the week (my normal commuting distances). For maybe 6 weeks, and then nothing aside from short walks two weeks before. Mostly all flat surfaces. I intended to hike with a pack, but never got around to it. I could have prepped more, but found I was still ahead of the curve and only mild to moderate aches and pains the whole time, no injuries. But a lot of ibuprofen! Most people I met did no prep at all. They made it, but generally with more pain/harder adjustment the first few weeks.

Most of my pain was in the first ten days, and then on the few long days (40km+). But after that initial time period (10 days) of shorter days (20-25km) my body adapted and 30km became comfortable, with anything over 40km being a push. I took two extended rests, one for 3 days to go to Madrid, and then two in Leon.

I thought the first day out of St. Jean was a challenge, but not terrible. I did it in 6.5 hours, taking the steeper woods route down (not bad in dry conditions, but could see how rain would make it rough). In fact, scenery wise it was probably my favorite day! Most of the people I hiked with agreed it wasn't as bad as they'd heard. Some people also found the opposite and suffered injuries. We had OK weather, no rain, it was even hot in the beginning. But very strong winds did knock a few people over for the second half on the road route down. Because of the strength of the wind it was difficult to take breaks, which may have contributed to the quicker pace.

My 50L pack ended up being 7.5kg without food or water, but I almost never carried food (aside from chocolate with almonds!). I was over the 10% rule, but it was fine. No real problems and stopped feeling it after a few weeks. My pack was bigger, but it was light and fit me perfectly. My sleeping bag was the worst, 1.2kg and totally unnecessary, though a sleep-sheet would have been inadequate, a very light sleeping bag would have been perfect. I just didn't want to spend the money, but would next time.

I had waterproof rain jacket that functioned as a daily jacket-which I wore maybe 70% of the time, as it was chilly in the mornings, and rain pants (which I wore also while doing laundry, which I never did myself but shared machines every 2-3 days). I was very happy with my rain gear for the (only!) two days of rain. I used both a water bladder (filled with 1.5L, and found it invaluable as a solo hiker) and a water bottle for easy tap fills. I also used Nuun tablets for electrolytes (and it tastes great), no idea if they helped, but didn't have muscle cramps.

I ate the pilgrims menu three times. Which was two times too many. But overall the food wasn't as awful as I imagined it would be. I ate a lot of eggs.

I budgeted €30/day and had no problem sticking to that.

I didn't use hiking poles. I in no way regret that decision, but can see why for the occasional times they're useful why one might want them. But I never felt like I needed them.

I didn't hear or see any of any bedbugs. Or aggressive dogs. Some bikers did get stuck in a herd of cows, a few getting knocked off their bikes. That is the only animal run in I heard of. But really, so many cows.

I had zero problems finding accommodations, and always got my first choice (usually, private albergues, with occasional hotels). Only once got one of the last beds (in that albergue, certainly not in town). I also never hiked before sunrise, generally starting at 8am, and finishing around 2-3pm (unless a long day, then finished at 5pm). I suspect, that is because it was April/May and often the trail traffic felt decently light. But even in the last 100km none of the places I stayed I had any trouble, in fact, most never filled up. I stayed both in main stages, and in between (which were decidedly quieter). I didn't have any really bad albergue experiences. Yes, the snoring. But my silicone earplugs served me well. As did ambien on occasion.

Blisters: None. I had broken in boots (Salomon Mid GTX, yes gortex) and wore silk liners under wool socks. I changed them midway on longer or hotter days, but generally didn't. No other preventative measures. I'm sure the cool weather greatly aided me as well! But also, I generally don't get blisters in my regular athletic pursuits.

Solo hiking was fine, I instantly met people and hiked often with others (but also often alone when I felt like changing pace). And developed a core "camino family" from day one. I found it near impossible to hike completely alone for a whole day, which was fine, I didn't mind either way. And really, the people I met on the trail were absolutely the highlight of this entire trip. The people on this trail are simply some of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

The only thing I would report as negative would be the sheer amount of concrete walking. I knew there would be some, but was shocked by how much road-side hiking there was, and really, disliked that bit. But it wasn't so bad that I wouldn't consider doing it again.

I recognize that I was lucky in many respects, in terms of how my body adapted, the weather, the ease of finding accommodation. But I think it's worth noting that things can indeed work out relatively easily. Going in April was a great decision. Cool, ideal hiking weather, less busy trail, stunning spring scenery.

I actually had to step away from reading forums because I almost scared myself out of doing it, reading all the things that could go wrong, all the possible ways to prep or what to bring. Of course, in the end it all worked out! And it was a fabulous experience! Not without it's hard days, or lows, of course. But greatly outnumbered by good days. I don't know that I'd do this again, but only because there are so many trails in the world to explore. BUT it was hands-down one of the best travel experiences I've ever had!

So, for what it's worth. That was my experience!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
was shocked by how much road-side hiking there was
It is hard to find rights of way that are not being farmed! Not surprisingly, in a developed country the routes going from city to city will involve walking next to the connecting roads. Before they were paved, they were the foot and cart routes going back to Roman times.

It sounds like you had a great time. Congratulations!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Oh, it makes perfect sense why! If I wanted no road walking, I'd obviously need to go camping. So I'm not sure why I was surprised by it exactly...but it was one of the few things I didn't enjoy (which were few!) And thanks!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I was very happy with my rain gear for the (only!) two days of rain

Jessalk: Excellent report; you get a gold star!

Re. Rain: I did the St. Jean Pied de Port to Burgos stages last fall starting on September 25th with only a couple of rainy days. This spring I started in Burgos on April 19th and arrived in Santiago on May 5, 2015. I was expecting to walk in the rain most days.

But in 17 days, I was incredibly fortunate to encounter only the following: a) One day of light sprinkles, no rain parka required, b) Two days of light rain in the morning for 20 minutes each, c) Two days of light rain all morning, d) One day of light rain starting at 10 AM, turning to heavy rain from noon until 1 PM while I was in Melide, Galicia, and e) One day with a heavy downpour from noon to 2 PM while I was in Pedrouzo, Galicia, and again for an hour in late afternoon on my way to Monte del Gozo.

It was just pure luck that I ducked into a restaurant for lunch in Melide to avoid the downpour there, and did the same at a pizza place in Pedrouzo, and there just happened to be a bar at a campground just east of Monte del Gozo.

I talked to a German woman who arrived in Santiago two days after me and she recounted that it rained 12 of her last 16 days. As noted above, I had light rain two mornings, and two days with periods of heavy rain in Galicia. Was I just lucky, or was the Germany lady unlucky?

I used my rain parka more often in the evenings walking to a restaurant for dinner!

Re: Rain, yeah-I was so lucky! It seemed like I was always a few days ahead or behind bad weather. On one of the worst rain days I just happened to be returning from Madrid and wasn't walking (the same when I left for Madrid). And I know the people just ahead of me spent a lot of time in rain. In Hospital de Orbigo I got inside my albergue moments before a downpour. I did get some hot days, but I'll take that over rain any time :)

Congratulations! I don't know if having sunny sky's is a gift from God, but when you miss the rain by minutes you begin to wonder.
Keith

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Great report, thanks... I'm so looking forwards to do the Camino, which will be on April 2017. I like to go before but work interface with my life...

Buen Camino
Chris

I've just returned home, and thought I'd share my experience. Of course, it's so different for everyone, but I thought I'd add my perspective. First to say, it was such an incredible experience! It was more than I could have hoped for, and nothing like I'd expected. It was so much better.

So, based on information I was seeking before I left, here's how it all worked out:
I hiked late April, to late May. Starting in St. Jean.
In terms of preparation for this, I was physically fit, I generally did 5 days of high intensity cardio/week. I've done a lot of hiking in my past, but primarily shorter, high altitude treks with porters. Or day trips. Had never carried my own bag. And I certainly was not in trekking shape. I suppose it's worth noting I'm in my late twenties. I did one long hike per week (20-30km), and then 5-10km per day during the week (my normal commuting distances). For maybe 6 weeks, and then nothing aside from short walks two weeks before. Mostly all flat surfaces. I intended to hike with a pack, but never got around to it. I could have prepped more, but found I was still ahead of the curve and only mild to moderate aches and pains the whole time, no injuries. But a lot of ibuprofen! Most people I met did no prep at all. They made it, but generally with more pain/harder adjustment the first few weeks.

Most of my pain was in the first ten days, and then on the few long days (40km+). But after that initial time period (10 days) of shorter days (20-25km) my body adapted and 30km became comfortable, with anything over 40km being a push. I took two extended rests, one for 3 days to go to Madrid, and then two in Leon.

I thought the first day out of St. Jean was a challenge, but not terrible. I did it in 6.5 hours, taking the steeper woods route down (not bad in dry conditions, but could see how rain would make it rough). In fact, scenery wise it was probably my favorite day! Most of the people I hiked with agreed it wasn't as bad as they'd heard. Some people also found the opposite and suffered injuries. We had OK weather, no rain, it was even hot in the beginning. But very strong winds did knock a few people over for the second half on the road route down. Because of the strength of the wind it was difficult to take breaks, which may have contributed to the quicker pace.

My 50L pack ended up being 7.5kg without food or water, but I almost never carried food (aside from chocolate with almonds!). I was over the 10% rule, but it was fine. No real problems and stopped feeling it after a few weeks. My pack was bigger, but it was light and fit me perfectly. My sleeping bag was the worst, 1.2kg and totally unnecessary, though a sleep-sheet would have been inadequate, a very light sleeping bag would have been perfect. I just didn't want to spend the money, but would next time.

I had waterproof rain jacket that functioned as a daily jacket-which I wore maybe 70% of the time, as it was chilly in the mornings, and rain pants (which I wore also while doing laundry, which I never did myself but shared machines every 2-3 days). I was very happy with my rain gear for the (only!) two days of rain. I used both a water bladder (filled with 1.5L, and found it invaluable as a solo hiker) and a water bottle for easy tap fills. I also used Nuun tablets for electrolytes (and it tastes great), no idea if they helped, but didn't have muscle cramps.

I ate the pilgrims menu three times. Which was two times too many. But overall the food wasn't as awful as I imagined it would be. I ate a lot of eggs.

I budgeted €30/day and had no problem sticking to that.

I didn't use hiking poles. I in no way regret that decision, but can see why for the occasional times they're useful why one might want them. But I never felt like I needed them.

I didn't hear or see any of any bedbugs. Or aggressive dogs. Some bikers did get stuck in a herd of cows, a few getting knocked off their bikes. That is the only animal run in I heard of. But really, so many cows.

I had zero problems finding accommodations, and always got my first choice (usually, private albergues, with occasional hotels). Only once got one of the last beds (in that albergue, certainly not in town). I also never hiked before sunrise, generally starting at 8am, and finishing around 2-3pm (unless a long day, then finished at 5pm). I suspect, that is because it was April/May and often the trail traffic felt decently light. But even in the last 100km none of the places I stayed I had any trouble, in fact, most never filled up. I stayed both in main stages, and in between (which were decidedly quieter). I didn't have any really bad albergue experiences. Yes, the snoring. But my silicone earplugs served me well. As did ambien on occasion.

Blisters: None. I had broken in boots (Salomon Mid GTX, yes gortex) and wore silk liners under wool socks. I changed them midway on longer or hotter days, but generally didn't. No other preventative measures. I'm sure the cool weather greatly aided me as well! But also, I generally don't get blisters in my regular athletic pursuits.

Solo hiking was fine, I instantly met people and hiked often with others (but also often alone when I felt like changing pace). And developed a core "camino family" from day one. I found it near impossible to hike completely alone for a whole day, which was fine, I didn't mind either way. And really, the people I met on the trail were absolutely the highlight of this entire trip. The people on this trail are simply some of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

The only thing I would report as negative would be the sheer amount of concrete walking. I knew there would be some, but was shocked by how much road-side hiking there was, and really, disliked that bit. But it wasn't so bad that I wouldn't consider doing it again.

I recognize that I was lucky in many respects, in terms of how my body adapted, the weather, the ease of finding accommodation. But I think it's worth noting that things can indeed work out relatively easily. Going in April was a great decision. Cool, ideal hiking weather, less busy trail, stunning spring scenery.

I actually had to step away from reading forums because I almost scared myself out of doing it, reading all the things that could go wrong, all the possible ways to prep or what to bring. Of course, in the end it all worked out! And it was a fabulous experience! Not without it's hard days, or lows, of course. But greatly outnumbered by good days. I don't know that I'd do this again, but only because there are so many trails in the world to explore. BUT it was hands-down one of the best travel experiences I've ever had!

So, for what it's worth. That was my experience!

Thanks for the report. I just finished the CF in 36 days, probably a few days ahead of you on the Camino.
My question is in regards to your feet. Did you find that your feet absolutely ached at the end of the day? Mine did and I am wondering if the 152 muscles in each foot were not in the proper physical condition.

I wore Merrell Moab Ventilators with custom orthotics. I am now wondering if the orthotics exacerbated the problem of walking on rocks. I see almost no mention of the rocks on the Camino, but I absolutely detested the rocks at the end of the Camino!

Can you comment on that?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the report. I just finished the CF in 36 days, probably a few days ahead of you on the Camino.
My question is in regards to your feet. Did you find that your feet absolutely ached at the end of the day? Mine did and I am wondering if the 152 muscles in each foot were not in the proper physical condition.

I wore Merrell Moab Ventilators with custom orthotics. I am now wondering if the orthotics exacerbated the problem of walking on rocks. I see almost no mention of the rocks on the Camino, but I absolutely detested the rocks at the end of the Camino!

Can you comment on that?

My feet did fine overall. They felt tired at the end of the day for sure, a bit achy, but never much pain at the end of the day. One I took my pack off and rested for a bit they were usually back to normal. I certainly didn't enjoy the rocky downhills (like going into El Acebo), but mostly because I was afraid of tripping/falling. I didn't have custom orthotics, just used the ones in the shoes. But also, I rarely feel foot pain unless I'm running long distances, so I'm probably not a good judge of that! One person I was walking with did take her orthotics out and felt better after, she had been using superfeet and they made her feet ache more than regular insoles (probably a case of not fitting perfectly in that case?). That said, I'm normally pretty tough on my feet during my regular working out, a lot of high impact exercises, jumping, etc, so maybe that helped? But also perhaps not!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.