Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April/May

Kukipuki

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking for the first time in April/May with my sister. (2019)
Hi!

My sister and I will be walking the Camino Primitivo this year for one week from the end of April into the beginning of May. We'll be starting in Lugo. Because of an accident I'm not physically able to do a longer camino.

Will it be necessary for us to buy new shoes and backpacks, since it's just for a week? Or will our old trainers do?
What tips do you have for packing for just one week? I'm reading a lot of different things on the expected weather for that time.

Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your present shoes will suffice IF, and ONLY IF:
  1. You have enough room at the toe such that your toes NEVER strike the inside of the toe box when walking down a hill or stairs, ramp, etc. It MAY be possible to adjust your lacing method to keep the foot at the rear of the shoe at all times, and prevent it sliding forward. Consult You Tube for videos on "How to Lace Hiking Shoes...." Toes striking the inside of he show tow box is what causes dead and cracked toenails, blisters, bloody toes and much ICKY stuff, not to mention discomfort that can ruin your experience... AND
  2. You have enough room in the present shoes to wear two pair of socks, a very thin synthetic or silk inner liner to wick moisture from your feet, and decrease friction between your feet and the shoe; AND a thicker outer pair of socks to provide cushioning. There is an option to this...
Some of us (not yet me) have used and prefer a newer type of sock that is specifically woven to be two-ply. The inner surface is a synthetic material that wicks, cools, and reduces friction. The outer surface is a cushiony material like merino wool to provide cushioning. Search for these on the internet under hiking socks, then drill down to find single layer socks...

This year, I will be rotating three pair of socks. One will be my standard two-pair system that I have used for six Caminos without ever getting even one blister. The other two pair will be two types of mono-woven socks as I described above. I want to report back to the Forum on my experience.

All this said, the two MOST IMPORTANT pieces of kit / gear you will need for any Camino are your footwear and your rucksack. BOTH must be properly fitted and sized to do a proper job. Everything else is just stuff in the sack.

Many of us will agree with the maxim that, "...if you take care of your feet, they will take care of you..."

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Keep packing to a minimum. Your pack should not be more than 10 per cent of your body weight. Since I've followed this carrying the pack is far less onerous

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
  1. You have enough room in the present shoes to wear two pair of socks, a very thick synthetic or silk inner liner to wick moisture from your feet, and decrease friction between your feet and the shoe; AND a thicker outer pair of socks to provide cushioning. There is an option to this...

Did you mean a "very thin synthetic or silk inner liner"?

I walked the Madrid and Salvador last year and used a rotating sock regime. Where I used a two sets of thin synthetic liner and my merino wool socks as the second layer and a third sock which was the two-ply woven sock with the liner attached. I found that when me feet swelled (one more than the other) I developed a few blisters wearing the two socks and so I tried a single sock system and changed my socks frequently (2-2.5 hour intervals). I found my two-ply socks worked better on my larger foot as they were thinner than my merino socks. I know think that if I had taken a thinner merino to compensate for foot swelling I would have been better off but I had options to work with. My training sessions lasted 2-2.5 hours which is what we planned on for foot care stops, and I had no issues but we practiced in March/April (East Coast of Canada) when it was cool and walked in Spain May/June when it was warmer. We also think the flatter terrain (Madrid) vs (Salvador) mountainous terrain places a different force on your feet. I am glad I had sock options on the trail.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi!

My sister and I will be walking the Camino Primitivo this year for one week from the end of April into the beginning of May. We'll be starting in Lugo. Because of an accident I'm not physically able to do a longer camino.

Will it be necessary for us to buy new shoes and backpacks, since it's just for a week? Or will our old trainers do?
What tips do you have for packing for just one week? I'm reading a lot of different things on the expected weather for that time.

Thank you!
Old trainers, and worn in socks, new socks will give you blisters, I like my bridgedale socks, come in different weights , depending on the season, like other posters I used to wear two pairs of socks, most walking / outdoor stores will tell you one pair , and you'll be fine, if you need new socks, buy them now, wear and wash them a few times,
will be on the Primitive at similar time to new,
Buen camino,
Bill

Old trainers, and worn in socks, new socks will give you blisters, I like my bridgedale socks, come in different weights , depending on the season, like other posters I used to wear two pairs of socks, most walking / outdoor stores will tell you one pair , and you'll be fine, if you need new socks, buy them now, wear and wash them a few times,
will be on the Primitive at similar time to new,
Buen camino,
Bill

Bill,
Curious on when you will be starting Primitivo and where? I will hopefully be starting in Oviedo on April 27 or 28th at the latest. I'm traveling alone due to some extenuating circumstances, so was wondering which others would be walking.
Scott

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bill,
Curious on when you will be starting Primitivo and where? I will hopefully be starting in Oviedo on April 27 or 28th at the latest. I'm traveling alone due to some extenuating circumstances, so was wondering which others would be walking.
Scott
Hi Scott, starting in Oviedo on the 11th/12th April, be around Santiago when you're starting, I'll be walking alone, I did the Frances last year alone, you'll be fine, you're only alone if you want to be,
Bill

Back to socks. Use: nylons and tape.
An retired military buddy recommend wearing nylons as a first layer sock. He told me "nothing like a sharp dressed man on the trail". He was right. He also recommended bringing medical tape. Right again.
I used the sock-length nylons under my Decathlon socks for the 300km of the Frances we did last year; no blisters.

I did bring and use medical tape to cover any hot spot as it arrived; and kept the area covered until the end of our walk.
I plan to do the same this year on the Primitivo.

Bill,
Scott
Scott,
Three of us from Texas will be leaving Oviedo on May 1 probably won't catch up as we are all 65+.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Scott,
Three of us from Texas will be leaving Oviedo on May 1 probably won't catch up as we are all 65+.
Scott,
Buen camino, my camino will be over by then, fly back on the 1st May, just to print of my tickets,
Bill

Back to socks. Use: nylons and tape.
An retired military buddy recommend wearing nylons as a first layer sock. He told me "nothing like a sharp dressed man on the trail". He was right. He also recommended bringing medical tape. Right again.
I used the sock-length nylons under my Decathlon socks for the 300km of the Frances we did last year; no blisters.

I did bring and use medical tape to cover any hot spot as it arrived; and kept the area covered until the end of our walk.
I plan to do the same this year on the Primitivo.
Hi Larry
This will be my first camino (a little ambitious to cut my teeth on the Primitivo!). Was interested in your suggestion on nylons as your first sock...did you then use a thick pair over the top or a thin pair?
The medical tape was used before anything festered?

Bill,
Scott
Hi I'm hoping to start from Oviedo around 26th/27th so may see you. Have you chosen accommodation in oviedo yet?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi I'm hoping to start from Oviedo around 26th/27th so may see you. Have you chosen accommodation in oviedo yet?
O I will most likely be staying at the Municipal. On Gronze it shows mostly good reviews with 50 beds and 6 euros. Hope to see you.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.