• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April stats

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
The monthly pilgrim stats have been posted on the official website - http://www.archicompostela.org

[edit ivar: the url above did not work, now it does]

For those who have difficulties in accessing the site, here are the figures:

During the month of April, 7010 pilgrims were received at the Pilgrim’s Office. (The number of pilgrims in the year 2005 during the same period was 3307.) Of those pilgrims, 2903 were women and 4107 men.
5855 pilgrims arrived on foot, 1119 by bicycle, 35 on horseback and 1 in a wheelchair.
3053 pilgrims were younger than 30 years old; 3397 were between 30 and 60 years old; 559 were aged above 60 years old.
Motivation of the Pilgrimage:
Religious: 2683 38,2 %
Religious and Cultural: 3613 51,5 %
Cultural: 713 10,2 %
Nationalities of the pilgrims:
Spanish: 4120 pilgrims
Foreigners: 2890 pilgrims.
Most of the pilgrims come from the following countries: Portugal (748); Germany (450); France (348); Italy (247); Great Britain (131); United States (101) and other countries summing up a total number of 58.
Regarding the professional fields, the majority of pilgrims are the students (2047); employees (1076); freelances (863);technicians (843); teachers (572); retired people (537)...
Most started their Way to Santiago in:
Sarria (1614);
O Cebreiro (583);
Ponferrada (482);
Roncesvalles (423);
León (353); Tui (352);
Saint jean Pied de Port (321);
Valença (251);
Astorga (218)....
Most of the pilgrims chose the French Way (5104 pilgrims). The Portuguese Way was done by 1082 pilgrims , the Silver Way by 361, the Northern Way by 312 pilgrims, the English Way by 82 pilgrims and the Primitive Way by 48 pilgrims.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
re: numbers

If this trend continues, and the numbers continue to skyrocket out of control (I mean, good Lord, the figure for this April is double last year's), do you think the archdiocese might try making the compostella requirement longer than 100km? It seems that 1,600+ people started from Sarria alone.

And how old is this custom anyway?

Thanks,
Grant

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Re: re: numbers

gholsong said:
I mean, good Lord, the figure for this April is double last year's

Holy Week is the big spring peak, which was in March last year. Over the 2 months, nos up from 6400 to 8100, about 25% higher.

gholsong said:
do you think the archdiocese might try making the compostella requirement longer than 100km? It seems that 1,600+ people started from Sarria alone.

That is nothing new; most years, a high proportion start in Galicia. I have been wondering too when the backlash starts. Quite apart from anything else, it must be costing the archbishopric a fair amount just to issue the compostelas. If they stopped issuing them, I wonder whether nos would decline?

gholsong said:
And how old is this custom anyway?

if you mean the compostela, from the 1970s, I believe. The first figures I have seen are 23 in 1977 and 13 in 1978 :)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.