• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April vs. May

peregrina2000

Staff member
For a while I’ve been noticing that the April calendar entries were pulling away from the May entries — my rough count today is 104 in May, 175 in April.

I’m not suggesting that April is the new May, or that this represents anything other than our membership’s idiosyncracies. And of course since April is earlier than May, more April people may have their plans firmed up than May people.

But it is interesting, and does coincide with recent press coverage predicting big increases in foreign/non-Spanish pilgrims this year.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
First thing that comes to mind is Holy Week, early April this year. If it's a holy year then maybe that's enticing people to bring their plans forward?

It's probably not a great measure for projecting out to the rest of the year, but comparing Jan 2023 to Jan 2020, according to the pilgrim office stats the numbers were roughly the same, about 2k.

It's probably not a great measure for projecting out to the rest of the year, but comparing Jan 2023 to Jan 2020, according to the pilgrim office stats the numbers were roughly the same, about 2k.
Last year's January total was about 1,600. This January's figure was just over 2,000. While the difference is quite small in relation to last year's huge final total the increase is quite marked for that particular month.
https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...rever-ano-extranjeros/0003_202302G15P8991.htm

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
First thing that comes to mind is Holy Week, early April this year. If it's a holy year then maybe that's enticing people to bring their plans forward?
Maybe, but in my experience here on the forum, a lot of members plan their caminos so as to avoid Holy Week and the bump of Spanish pilgrims that it brings. Lots do try to find ways to experience the Holy Week processions, though. Not sure what you mean by Holy Year, but the next one isn’t till 2027.

Last year's January total was about 1,600. This January's figure was just over 2,000. While the difference is quite small in relation to last year's huge final total the increase is quite marked for that particular month.
https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...rever-ano-extranjeros/0003_202302G15P8991.htm
I skipped last year because I assumed covid and covid restrictions were still enough of an issue to discourage people. That's not to say that there won't be any such fear this year, but it's going to be less than last year I reckon and so this year will then be more like 2020 than 2022 covid-wise.

Not sure what you mean by Holy Year, but the next one isn’t till 2027.

My bad, I must have confused myself into thinking that it was postponed to this year like the one in Aachen was. That or I read 2032 too quickly ...

a lot of members plan their caminos so as to avoid Holy Week and the bump of Spanish pilgrims that it brings

That's probably true, but some people might not be aware of the increased traffic and would like to see the processions. If the rate at which the number of pilgrims increases is back to where it was before the pandemic than many will be first timers who may not be discouraged by increased numbers because they don't have the experience of racing for beds. Though if that were the case it should be true every year that whichever month Easter was in would see a bump.

Maybe it could be tested by seeing if account age correlated with month of choice ...

recent press coverage predicting big increases in foreign/non-Spanish pilgrims this year.

Because of a return to pre-covid growth or something else?

My bad, I must have confused myself into thinking that it was postponed to this year like the one in Aachen was
The 2021 holy year in Santiago was extended to include 2022.

The Aachen pilgrimage years are not related to the holy year in Santiago, which is any year in which the feast day of St James, which is July 25th falls in a Sunday.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm doing the CP 6th April from Lisbon, middle of Holy Week. The main reason for starting early April is to ensure I'm back in Scotland for my Sons wedding in June.

I havent booked any accomodation apart from first 2 nights in Lisbon. I may start walking on the 5th April , see where we get to and return to my accomodation in Lisbon. Starting from where we stopped in the morning. As we dont know where we will start the next day, I'll book accomodation later on that day.

Jim....thank you! I booked my flight to Madrid and am hopeful the journey will begin to come together. I have a hotel for my first night in Oviedo and as you say...."see where we get." I want to believe the Camino will give the guidance...your post is hopeful

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.