• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aragonés in times of Covid

peregrina2000

Staff member
The peripatetic Álvaro Lazaga is back on the camino, this time starting in Somport Pass and heading to Santiago. He posts a short youtube every day, and today’s shows that he took a detour over to Javier. His video shows that the path is marked, but what I can’t figure out is whether he walked on to Leyre. His video ends with shots from the crypt, but he slept in Sangüesa.

But any event, for some fall pictures of the Aragonés, along with lots of albergue and people photos, take a look. His Spanish seems very clear to me, so people who like to practice might find this to be a good series of videos.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is my first view of the Aragones since I walked it from Oloron Ste Marie to Santiago in 2016. I cannot imagine walking the Aragones from Jaca to Santa Cilia without a detour to visit San Juan de la Pena, yet with a later detour to Javier. I guess that we all have our preferences. I shall return to San Juan de la Pena someday. Somehow, my heart in pilgrimage is there, and not in Santiago, although I have concluded all my pilgrimages at the Cathedral in Santiago.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The peripatetic Álvaro Lazaga is back on the camino, this time starting in Somport Pass and heading to Santiago. He posts a short youtube every day, and today’s shows that he took a detour over to Javier. His video shows that the path is marked, but what I can’t figure out is whether he walked on to Leyre. His video ends with shots from the crypt, but he slept in Sangüesa.

But any event, for some fall pictures of the Aragonés, along with lots of albergue and people photos, take a look. His Spanish seems very clear to me, so people who like to practice might find this to be a good series of videos.

Lovely memories of that Camino. Thank you.

Thanks for sharing, Laurie! great memories of that camino... I did it this time of the year and I remember it greener, but it still feels great to see those places again, and it is amazing albergues are still open in Arrés (and in Ruesta too, but he tells very little about that gem of a place).
Looking forward to seeing next one!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I must not have done my homework before heading out on the Aragonés!
@peregrina2000
To plan this route, I used the Arles to Puenta la Reina Pilgrim Guide from the Confraternity of St James, following the route from Oloron Ste Marie through the Somport Pass and on to Puente la Reina. As I then understood it, the Monastery of Leyre was at a dead end on the blocked side of the Yesa reservoire, and I was unsure whether female pilgrims were welcome there. Other walks in the area were neither known nor of interest to me. Except for San Juan de la Pena. And I do not remember how I heard of it. There was some information in the guide on how to walk the detour from Jaca. I heard about the bus when checking on accommodation in the Tourist Office in Jaca, but I already wanted to go there. It felt like a pilgrim goal in its own right. And I have seen echoes of it in various places since, like at Diomondi. There is something about the early church in Spain that fascinates me. After I walk the Levante, I want to research a route suggested by @VNwalking to explore the early Spanish churches, especially those which show Byzantine influence: evidence of an undivided church.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lovely sounds of the camino. Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back