• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aragones 1 May 2015, from Pau/Lescar

GeraldD

the Camino will provide what you need
Time of past OR future Camino
CF (SJPdP-Burgos) may 2013
CPortugues (Porto-SdC-Finisterre) april 2014
CAragones (Pau-Somport-Logrono) may 2015
CdNorte (Irun-Santander) may 2016
CF (Burgos-SdC) 2017?
Starting 1st of May from Pau Airport.
Via Somport and P.la Reina to Logrono.
Anyone walking this same route first half of May?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am setting out from Oloron-Sainte-Marie to Logrono later in the month once I know the snow is completely melted off. I'd love to see some posts about your experience on this route!

I am leaving from Toulouse on April 26th, but taking a detour to Lourdes before getting back on the Chemin d'Arles and Camino Aragones.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since you guys are doing this same/similar route, I have a general question since its my first Camino. I have my guide books, and they are very detailed with instructions like walk 400 m take a left, go 200 m, etc. It seems very detailed and I am wondering do I need to carry my guide book in my hands the whole time so I don't miss these directions?

We walked the Arles and Aragon routes April/May 2013. We walked from Montpelier and got to Pau 5/15. We still had snow over the Somport Pass, but just walked the road for a day or so. No problem. No way to tell what kind of weather but regardless you can always walk the road if the conditions are too rough.

DCGuy, the route is very well marked and you should not have to keep your guidebook close at hand. The French GR Routes and particularly the GR653 are very well marked with the red and white blazes. We primarily just used the Miam Miam Dodo and got and got along fine. Once in Spain the shells and yellow arrows appear and it's also very easy to follow.

You will enjoy regardless of the weather. Bob Chemin.....Buen Camino

Dayton and Karen

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Starting 1st of May from Pau Airport.
Via Somport and P.la Reina to Logrono.
Anyone walking this same route first half of May?

I am planning to start at Pau on about May 9th. I'm still looking for a good map and guidebook for the Aragones, mostly just for the fun of poring over it for the next few months to imagine my trip. I saw one on CSJ, but am having trouble ordering it. Would love to know what info. you have found to help you plan.
Jill

I am planning to start at Pau on about May 9th. I'm still looking for a good map and guidebook for the Aragones, mostly just for the fun of poring over it for the next few months to imagine my trip. I saw one on CSJ, but am having trouble ordering it. Would love to know what info. you have found to help you plan.
Jill
Hello Jill,
Till Somport pass you follow the Camino de Arles. I've started at the airport of Pau. Then actually you walk to Lescar (Church at the Place Royal with tourist office opposite for stamp). Route via google maps or check with google "Gronze.com camino de arles". You can also follow the GR653 signs (red/white marked route).
Be aware that from Lescar to Oloron is a long etappe with some different 'way marked optional routes', would advice to try to get to Lacommande (Church, around the corner at the backside of the church though the gate at the right side there are a limited number of beds to stay overnight).
chemindarles.free.fr/carte_EN.php
At Oloron there are a few very good B&B's, but also I found an auberge: Relais du Bastet at 12 Place de la Resistance.
From Somport the Camino Aragones starts. I got this route in my dutch book abt the Camino Frances as 'extra'. On the internet Gronze.com will help you out.
Bon camino,
Gerald

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From Jaca, don't miss the detour via San Juan de la Pena (check opening hours). You can stay overnight in Santa Cruz (reasonable priced hotel) or Santa Cilia (hostel, refugio and B&B).
Another great detour is the 'Devils bridge' or 'Puente de Diablo' after Sanguesa direction Foz de Lumbier (don't forget to climb to the left before the dark tunnel to see the distroyed bridge). Watch the large birds in the canyon.
Bon camino, Gerald

Attachments

• SanJuandelaPenadetour.jpg
    SanJuandelaPenadetour.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 16
  • SanguesaLumbierDevilsbridge.jpg
    SanguesaLumbierDevilsbridge.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
From Jaca, don't miss the detour via San Juan de la Pena (check opening hours). You can stay overnight in Santa Cruz (reasonable priced hotel) or Santa Cilia (hostel, refugio and B&B).
Another great detour is the 'Devils bridge' or 'Puente de Diablo' after Sanguesa direction Foz de Lumbier (don't forget to climb to the left before the dark tunnel to see the distroyed bridge). Watch the large birds in the canyon.
Bon camino, Gerald
Gerald
Such helpful information
This route sounds beautiful !
Annie.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back