• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aragones footwear

BlueBowers

Time of past OR future Camino
Aragones 2016
Frances 2016
Fisstere and Muxia 2016
I see that many people use trail runners on the Camino Frances. Are they just as suitable for the Aragones or is a hiking shoe/boot better? Planning on a late Sept. start.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I've recently being walking on the Camino Aragonese and would definitely recommend a harder hiking boot, there are lots of tracks with rocks and loose stones on this camino which are much harder to negotiate with a softer shoe. Thanks

Last edited:
Agree with Ronan on this one. There are some detours on the Aragones that are definitely 'off piste'. For example, the route up to the monastery is quite rough. I always wear boots and have never used trail runners so can't (and wouldn't anyway) give advice, but it is something to bear in mind if you choose to avail yourself of the detours.

Walked it twice with my wife and we both wore trailrunners each time, through rain, mud, snow, and heat. Yes, some portions are a bit rough but I’d rather wear a shoe that really works for 95% of the trail rather than a heavier boot designed for brief sections.

However, as most things on the Camino, your personal comfort and past experience really dictates the choice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Vacajoe, I totally agree with you on this. I walked it this summer in blistering heat as well as rainy days. In shoes. I also took the monastery detour. Yes it was rough and steep in some places but I didn't miss my boots for one second. Neither did my partner who also used good quality shoes. We also used poles to reduce the risk of tripping over with sprained ankles or worse as a result. That combination worked well.
So it's about personal preferences. In my opinion the only day that could warrant boots is the day one can take the detour and walk up to the monasteries. But only if it was in spring or autumn where the weather can be wet and cold and the path slippery. Or if you walk that detour without poles.
There are also some places further on where the path is narrow and slightly overgrown with grass. There you will get wet shoes in rainy weather or in the early morning until the dew disappear. But I wouldn't wear boots just for that. Instead I would consider gaiters for walking in the spring or autumn, or if the weather forecast predicts a rainy week.
But again, that's just my opinion, others might think differently.

Last edited:
I wore trail runners twice on the Aragones with no problems.
Annie, I agree with you. The military says that 1 pound on your foot equals 5 pounds on your back. Watching people on 2 caminos and many years in the cascades,it would seem that wearing boots are a thing of the past. Maybe 1 out of 50 are wearing boots,and these are usually older people who wear what they have always worn. As always,this is a personal choice,and we are all free to do and wear what pleases us.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back