• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aragones in early April

peregringo1

Time of past OR future Camino
140+ days total on various caminos
I hope to return to the camino in early April after 3 year break due to the pandemic. The Aragones has been on my short list of routes to walk for several years.

I hope to walk the first stages of the Frances from SJPdP to Pamplona as soon as the Napoleon route opens (around April 1st) and then take transport to Somport to start the Aragones and walk back to Pamplona.

Wondering what to expect with an early April start on the Aragones as far as weather, route conditions (snow/mud/etc), and pilgrim numbers? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The temperature today in Canfranc is 12°C and I read (somewhere) that the snowline is above 2.200m. Somport is at 1.600m.

God being willing, I hope to start out from Somport on Wednesday / Thursday 12 / 13 April.

I do not expect to meet many other "pilgrims".

There is a train from Pamplona to Jaca and there you can take a bus up to Somport.

Buen camino!

I would check Rome2Rio. I think the only way to Jaca from Pamplona is by bus. I believe there is a train from Jaca to Somport/Canfranc. As of today 12/3 there is a 2" wintry mix forecast through Tuesday.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Train or bus to Jaca (not sure if works are continuing on railway) and there are 4 or 5 buses a day from Jaca up to Somport. For weather, check closer to the time. If there's snow on the Napolean route, there's likely to be snow up at Somport. Even if the path down is impassable, the road (N330A) will be clear and it's still a really beautiful walk..

Edit: It appears trains would be via Zaragoza, so not really a viable option time wise. But pair of buses, get you up there in no time

Last edited:
You could have gorgeous weather, with sunny days and crisp cool nights. Or, you could have heavy snows whiteouts, blizzards and mud. (Spring comes later the to the north of Spain) That's what I wrote on my blog post a few years ago 'Walking the Camino in Spring." The only thing that is given, is that the weather is unpredictable! Good luck with the walk it is a beautiful route.

I hope to return to the camino in early April after 3 year break due to the pandemic. The Aragones has been on my short list of routes to walk for several years.

I hope to walk the first stages of the Frances from SJPdP to Pamplona as soon as the Napoleon route opens (around April 1st) and then take transport to Somport to start the Aragones and walk back to Pamplona.

Wondering what to expect with an early April start on the Aragones as far as weather, route conditions (snow/mud/etc), and pilgrim numbers? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I advise not starting at canfrac station but at St. orelone ?” At the river I France. I walked from Somport once and then started in France and it was more complete. I enjoyed climbing the mountain and then going down from the. The Aragonnes way is my favorite over all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I advise not starting at canfrac station but at St. orelone ?” At the river I France. I walked from Somport once and then started in France and it was more complete. I enjoyed climbing the mountain and then going down from the. The Aragonnes way is my favorite over all.
Oloron St Marie to the Somport Pass is a beautiful walk but I would stay on the road from Borce. If it's been snowing or the snow is melting the trail through the forested slopes could be treacherous.

Thanks.
I walked from Somport in 2012 in late March/April and the weather/trail conditions were fine, no problem. Colder at night, pleasantly cold by day, cloudy but little to no rain. There were a few pilgrims, the folks I met were mostly Spaniards as I recall. I guess I lucked out because mountain weather in spring is notoriously unpredictable. I loved this walk and would do it again. Took time out to tour the fortress in Jaca.
I was visiting someone in Alicante prior and took trains from there so can’t speak re transport from Pamplona.

Thank you for your responses. Looks like I'll have to stay flexible and check conditions closer to when I arrive in Spain as each year seems to be quite different. I'm guessing that later in April or early May conditions will only be better, aside from any current storms. Perhaps I should consider finishing 2nd half of Via de la Plata in early April and then head to Aragones (& Napoleon route) later in April or early May.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will be starting the Aragones around April 22. Taking the train from Madrid via Zaragosa to Canfranc Station. I'll be taking the bus the next morning from CF Station to Somport to start the Camino (weather and trail conditions permitting). I found the following bus schedule a few weeks ago. It'll give you an idea of how often and when they run.

1678645206691.png

My wife and I will be volunteering at the FICS albergue in Canfranc Pueblo (NOT Estacion) starting April 1, rain or snow or shine! I second the fact that early April could be clear/sunny or cold/snowy - it’s very unpredictable at that time of year. Last year the albergue had a steady stream of pilgrims with a handful most nights, mostly French and Spanish pilgrims. With Easter falling on April 9th this year, it’s likely to be busy that first part of the month.

While you could bus from Pamplona to Jaca, maybe you’d prefer to hike from SJPdP to Oloron and then up and over Somport Pass?

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back