A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

2019 Camino Guides

LIVE from the Camino Aragones way Somport to Jaca

Camino(s) past & future
Walker from St Jean to Santiago in September "2017" YAY
This is the story of our journey along the Aragones way.

We were very excited to get off the bus at Somport, a cafe con leche, a sello and we were off down the hill.

Steep in places but not too bad.
Magnificent mountain scenery, especially on a beautiful sunny day. Completely different to the French side of the Pyrenees.

Past the ski runs to the ruins of the Hospital Santa Christina. They cared for pilgrims from the Middle Ages and it’s even mentioned in the Codex Calixtinus.
First night at Canfrac Estacion. Lots of day trippers and hikers. Didn’t see a single pilgrim on the trail.
The abandoned International Railway Station is impressive.
The body the next morning was ok considering how little training we have done.

Stopped at Villanua for yummy tapas. Onward to Castellio de Jaca for the night.....oops.....no room at the inn.re
Another 8km on a warm day to get to Jaca for 2 nights. Thank goodness for bookings . com.

The San Juan de la Pena monastery clinging to the mountains under a rock is not to be missed. Also the newer one where there are excavations and the village below.

You can walk 11km mountain climbing to get there. We chose the easy way out and paid €50 for a taxi to take us up there and then wait for us. Worth every cent. The tourist office booked it for us. The bus doesn’t run this time of the year.

Checked out the 2nd oldest cathedral in Spain. Very beautiful but somber. The military citadel compete with deer and miniature military figures to finished off the day.

Hope you like some of our Pics

Attachments

rappahannock_rev

Anglican Catholic Priest
Camino(s) past & future
Lourdes, Burgos & SdeC 77 (by train); Frances 12, 15 & 17; Finisterre 17; Lourdes, Aragones 18
Stopped at Villanua for yummy tapas.

How wonderful to hear that! I'm not a "foodie" and came late to the whole tapas thing, so my opinion may not be worth much.... But the tapas I ate at the Bar Asador Jose in Villanua Viejo were probably the tastiest I ever ran across. As good as anything I ever found in Logrono on the Calle Laurel!.... I complemented the servers behind the bar, but they waived their hands and said that "We do not make them here. The lady across the street makes them specially for us!"

(Nice pix, btw!)

Last edited:

sharon w

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
We actually caught the bus to SAN Juan de la Pena yesterday. It leaves the bus station at 9.15am in Jaca. Goes straight to the new monastery at the top. We were able to leave our packs in the bus while we looked at the exhibition. Then he drove us down to the old monastery. The cost was an all inclusive price of 15€ for bus, 2 monasteries and the church of SAN Caprasio.
The bus is also used by the workers at the monasteries.
There are 2 options for returning to the route. Walk down from old monastery or return by bus to Jaca about 5.00. The hospitalero in Jaca said that we could stay 2 nights in the albergue if we wanted to return by bus. Instead some of us walked to Santa Cilia and some to Arres.
The hospitalera in Santa Cilia cooks a delicious dinner.
Also, a recommendation for Restaurant Biarritz in Jaca. An excellent meal for 15.50€.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Last edited:

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 108 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.4%