Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Arctic Hats...or something better to recommend?

Marbe2

Past OR future Camino
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
I am seeking a hat that can keep sustain coolness for a bit longer period of time. Right now I use a Boonie hat. When it is hot I wet the inside of the hat and repeat this as necessary. This hat usually dries within a half hour. Has anybody used the artic hats? Do they provide more protection from the heat? i I am open to other suggestions but no umbrellas please.
Thanks for your feedback!

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Marbe2

Past OR future Camino
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
Just saw those advertised on US tv station yesterday 2 for $19.99 USD. Seems reasonable and not much to lose in trying one.

There were not 3 or 4 reviews I could find and the reviews were not particularly encouraging. I was hoping someone online marketing might have purchased one...

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Spain: Mar 2010, Apr 2014, May/Jun 2016. Norway/Sweden: 2012, 2018. Other: 2011, 2019. CP (tbc)
The web site is not accessible here in Australia, but from what I can glean there might be two techniques being used by this product:
  1. evaporative cooling, which is really no different from wetting your hat or a bandana. To make a difference, some form of water reservoir is needed that has a high water carrying capacity. I have a neck scarf that uses a water absorbing bead similar to a product I have seen florists use. Such a layer would absorb a substantial amount of water quickly and then release it slowly through evaporation.
  2. Reflection - the pictures I have seen appear to show the crown and brim have been made of a highly reflective material, which presumably reflects a high proportion of the light, and it won't then heat up the hat material and in turn your head. This layer would also need to be permeable for the evaporative cooling to work.
The reviews I have seen are very cynical that the manufacturer's claims for cooling effect are realistic. That doesn't mean that it won't work after a fashion, but whether it works any better than regularly soaking a hat or bandana might be debatable.

Last edited:

Marbe2

Past OR future Camino
The web site is not accessible here in Australia, but from what I can glean there might be two techniques being used by this product:
  1. evaporative cooling, which is really no different from wetting your hat or a bandana. To make a difference, some form of water reservoir is needed that have a high water carrying capacity. I have a neck scarf that uses a water absorbing bead similar to a product I have seen florists use. Such a layer would absorb a substantial amount of water quickly and then release it slowly through evaporation.
  2. Reflection - the pictures I have seen appear to show the crown and brim have been made of a highly reflective material, which presumably reflects a high proportion of the light, and it won't then heat up the hat material and in turn your head. This layer would also need to be permeable for the evaporative cooling to work.
The reviews I have seen are very cynical that the manufacturer's claims for cooling effect are realistic. That doesn't mean that it won't work after a fashion, but whether it works any better than regularly soaking a hat or bandana might be debatable.

Thanks Doug!

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
A thought-provoking Camino memoir. This day-by-day account will inspire you.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I purchased a Tilley hat last summer on a trip out west. A friend I walked on the Le Puy with had one and I was very impressed the way she could scrunch it up in her pack and it would hold its shape perfectly the next time she pulled it out to wear. I usually wear a ball cap on the Camino, but purchased this one in gray.

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 102 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances