• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arctic Hats...or something better to recommend?

Marbe2

Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2023 walked all or part of CF 11 times
I am seeking a hat that can keep sustain coolness for a bit longer period of time. Right now I use a Boonie hat. When it is hot I wet the inside of the hat and repeat this as necessary. This hat usually dries within a half hour. Has anybody used the artic hats? Do they provide more protection from the heat? i I am open to other suggestions but no umbrellas please.
Thanks for your feedback!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just saw those advertised on US tv station yesterday 2 for $19.99 USD. Seems reasonable and not much to lose in trying one.

Just saw those advertised on US tv station yesterday 2 for $19.99 USD. Seems reasonable and not much to lose in trying one.

There were not 3 or 4 reviews I could find and the reviews were not particularly encouraging. I was hoping someone online marketing might have purchased one...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The web site is not accessible here in Australia, but from what I can glean there might be two techniques being used by this product:
  1. evaporative cooling, which is really no different from wetting your hat or a bandana. To make a difference, some form of water reservoir is needed that has a high water carrying capacity. I have a neck scarf that uses a water absorbing bead similar to a product I have seen florists use. Such a layer would absorb a substantial amount of water quickly and then release it slowly through evaporation.
  2. Reflection - the pictures I have seen appear to show the crown and brim have been made of a highly reflective material, which presumably reflects a high proportion of the light, and it won't then heat up the hat material and in turn your head. This layer would also need to be permeable for the evaporative cooling to work.
The reviews I have seen are very cynical that the manufacturer's claims for cooling effect are realistic. That doesn't mean that it won't work after a fashion, but whether it works any better than regularly soaking a hat or bandana might be debatable.

Last edited:
The web site is not accessible here in Australia, but from what I can glean there might be two techniques being used by this product:
  1. evaporative cooling, which is really no different from wetting your hat or a bandana. To make a difference, some form of water reservoir is needed that have a high water carrying capacity. I have a neck scarf that uses a water absorbing bead similar to a product I have seen florists use. Such a layer would absorb a substantial amount of water quickly and then release it slowly through evaporation.
  2. Reflection - the pictures I have seen appear to show the crown and brim have been made of a highly reflective material, which presumably reflects a high proportion of the light, and it won't then heat up the hat material and in turn your head. This layer would also need to be permeable for the evaporative cooling to work.
The reviews I have seen are very cynical that the manufacturer's claims for cooling effect are realistic. That doesn't mean that it won't work after a fashion, but whether it works any better than regularly soaking a hat or bandana might be debatable.

Thanks Doug!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I purchased a Tilley hat last summer on a trip out west. A friend I walked on the Le Puy with had one and I was very impressed the way she could scrunch it up in her pack and it would hold its shape perfectly the next time she pulled it out to wear. I usually wear a ball cap on the Camino, but purchased this one in gray.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.