Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arde Lucus? festival in Lugo

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
This weekend there is a festival in Lugo called Arde Lucus? ( Lucus Burns?) that recreates life in the city (Lucus Augusti) in Roman times.
Those fortunate pilgrims doing the Primitivo can enjoy that festival on a Camino that has a strong presence of Roman remains ( Santa Eulalia, Gold mine in Hospitales, Castro-Museum in Grandas and Roman walls in Lugo).
http://www.ardelucus.com/arde-lvcvs-2017-programa

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have been in Lugo twice for this festival, and while I was able to experience and enjoy some of the official festivities, my overriding memories are of seeing nearly every grownup in Lugo dressed up as a Roman or as a Celtíbero, which seemed to provide an excuse for excessive drinking. And it was impossible to sleep that night, no matter whether you are in the albergue or in any other place inside the walls because the party ends just about the time the average pilgrim wants to start walking. I may sound like an old crank but I just don't feel comfortable in huge enebriated crowds. As I said, though, there were some interesting and fun plays and performances during the day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I recently stayed at the Hotel Espana, Calle Vilalba 2. Just outside the walls close to the Puerto Bispo Aguirre. Pilgrim friendly, inexpensive and, with a rear room away from the traffic on the Ronda da Muralla, blissfully quiet. The thought of the manager in Roman costume induces a shudder though ;)

I have been in Lugo twice for this festival, and while I was able to experience and enjoy some of the official festivities, my overriding memories are of seeing nearly every grownup in Lugo dressed up as a Roman or as a Celtíbero, which seemed to provide an excuse for excessive drinking. And it was impossible to sleep that night, no matter whether you are in the albergue or in any other place inside the walls because the party ends just about the time the average pilgrim wants to start walking. I may sound like an old crank but I just don't feel comfortable in huge enebriated crowds. As I said, though, there were some interesting and fun plays and performances during the day.

Not Celtibero, just Celt. The iberian culture didn´t have significative influence in Galicia .That´s why Galician people (and Asturian) are indifferent to bullfights.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.