• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are boots a must for Salvador \ Primitivo walk?

b344433

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

I'm considering a de-tour from the Frances way: SDPdP -> Leon -> Oviedo -> Melide -> Santiago -> Finisterre, in September \ October :)

Are Boots a must for that path in this time of the year?

:)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, b,
Welcome to the forum. Some will undoubtedly answer this question emphatically one way or the other, but it is a personal choice. I can tell you that the most popular shoe on both the Appalachian Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail in the US are Altra trail runners, at any time of year. My theory was that these hard core wilderness hikers know something that an average camino walker like me doesn’t, so with @davebugg’s excellent advice (search for some of his shoe commentary, it is outstanding), this year, after 17 years in boots and hiking shoes, I went to Altras Lone Peak and never had a drop of regret. The traction on that shoe is plenty strong enough for the Salvador/Primitivo. Sadly, lots of the Primitivo trail has been leveled and filled with crushed rock (thankfully, up till now that has been limited to Galicia), so a boot might just give you foot pain.

I know that some people like the waterproofing feature that you can’t get in the trail runners, but again the common wisdom that I took was that the construction of the trail runners leads to very rapid drying, and the goretex boots trap water inside.

You’ll love the Primitivo and Salvador. Buen camino, Laurie

P.s. Here are a few of @davebugg ´s posts — lots of detail, lots of science behind his opinions.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-boots-for-cf-october-2018.56516/#post-636412

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lecting-boots-for-our-walk.56181/#post-630822

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ew-old-modality-of-walking.56153/#post-630471

Hi, b,
Welcome to the forum. Some will undoubtedly answer this question emphatically one way or the other, but it is a personal choice. I can tell you that the most popular shoe on both the Appalachian Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail in the US are Altra trail runners, at any time of year. My theory was that these hard core wilderness hikers know something that an average camino walker like me doesn’t, so with @davebugg’s excellent advice (search for some of his shoe commentary, it is outstanding), this year, after 17 years in boots and hiking shoes, I went to Altras Lone Peak and never had a drop of regret. The traction on that shoe is plenty strong enough for the Salvador/Primitivo. Sadly, lots of the Primitivo trail has been leveled and filled with crushed rock (thankfully, up till now that has been limited to Galicia), so a boot might just give you foot pain.

I know that some people like the waterproofing feature that you can’t get in the trail runners, but again the common wisdom that I took was that the construction of the trail runners leads to very rapid drying, and the goretex boots trap water inside.

Peregrina2000, 2 questions: what model of the Altra trail runner did you wear? if you had to choose would you walk the Salvador-Primitivo in May or Sept? It’s my 2019 camino. Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Peregrina2000, 2 questions: what model of the Altra trail runner did you wear? if you had to choose would you walk the Salvador-Primitivo in May or Sept? It’s my 2019 camino. Thanks

I wore the Lone Peak 3.5, but I hear the 4.0 is out. For some that is great news, for old fuddy duddies like me who like what I like and would like to stick with it, that is not so great news. But I will keep an open mind.

May or September is a tough question for me. I have walked the Salvador/ Primitivo in late September, June, and July, so I don’t know about May. The mountains are probably most glorious in summer, but late Sept. was a great start date. Enough people to give companionship, great weather (with snow in higher elevations, which made for beautiful scenery), albergues all open. I start walking in spring when I start in the south, but always got advice to push back the start date for northern Spain. I know that Spain was incredibly rainy this spring, but I think that by May the Primitivo had dried up a bit. I’m sure there are commentaries from this May on the forum. But of course, next May may bear no resemblance to this May!

I wore the Lone Peak 3.5, but I hear the 4.0 is out. For some that is great news, for old fuddy duddies like me who like what I like and would like to stick with it, that is not so great news. But I will keep an open mind.

May or September is a tough question for me. I have walked the Salvador/ Primitivo in late September, June, and July, so I don’t know about May. The mountains are probably most glorious in summer, but late Sept. was a great start date. Enough people to give companionship, great weather (with snow in higher elevations, which made for beautiful scenery), albergues all open. I start walking in spring when I start in the south, but always got advice to push back the start date for northern Spain. I know that Spain was incredibly rainy this spring, but I think that by May the Primitivo had dried up a bit. I’m sure there are commentaries from this May on the forum. But of course, next May may bear no resemblance to this May!
Thanks much appreciated. I used your very good “guide notes” on my very very wet Norte this March but loved it and wouldn’t change a thing. I’m thinking later vs early for the Primitivo to take it a bit slower and enjoy this one a bit more. I’ll get back to you to pick your brain. Thanks again.

As Peregrina2000 says, whatever is best for you. Some people have strong ideas on this but truthfully everyone is different.

Me? Full high leg hiking boots always. Thats because I am little, always carry 16kilos (not recommended) and have week ankles. In fact I don't even own shoes and never worn trainers in my life, that's why I have week ankles!

I would say though if you can get away with light footwear then go for that. Whatever makes your feet happy!

Davey

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m a long time, experienced wilderness backpacker and have always worn boots. I changed to hiking shoes based on the advice of people on this forum for my hike on the Primitivo and ended up with a severe case of plantar fasciitis. No blisters, as I never really get them. I was Scolded severely by my podiatrist when I returned and she ended up having to give me cortisone shots in both feet.
Personally, I will never walk in shoes again. But many people have no foot problems and can wear trail runners without problems.
I suggest you go on long hard walks with your chosen footwear on a daily basis prior to the Camino. It’s the only way to know what your feet will like.

Spring is a beautiful time to walk the Salvador/Primitivo.

Lots of lush valleys and snow capped mountains. I walked in April.

That said, there is a chance for some snow or rain early Spring.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi, b,

P.s. Here are a few of @davebugg ´s posts — lots of detail, lots of science behind his opinions.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-boots-for-cf-october-2018.56516/#post-636412

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lecting-boots-for-our-walk.56181/#post-630822

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ew-old-modality-of-walking.56153/#post-630471
Hi Peregrino2000 - a question in relation to walking poles/sticks for the Primitivo & Salvador. I'm not one for walking poles although I understand and respect the benefits they can bring. Reading through different threads people sometimes write that they are essential, especially for the Primiivo. I would appreciate and respect your opinion. And with regard to shoes or boots, I'm like you, I stick with what works for me and I like, but my boots are, to say the least, well trodden-in. I'm loath to buy new and can't even wear day shoes - doctors advice, due to achilles and other more minor problems. How essential is a perfect grip on the footwear? Mine are worn but I believe I can get another 500k out of them, then lay them to rest. I'm doing these routes for the first time. Best wishes, LLN Keith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As soon as the new Altra Lone Peak models come out, they put the old/current model on sale. I bought a second pair of 3.5s at a big discount for when my current ones wear out! I wear the men's because my feet are practically wider than they are long.

The Altra is a shoe of choice for 100 mile ultra-marathons in the US, too.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.