• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are Brasher boots readily available to buy in Spanish shops?

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
Someone on another forum who lives in Spain was asking for a recommendation for boots. There are one piece of kit that you really need to try before you buy so mail order isn't a wise step.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have never seen them in any of the sports/gear shops along the Camino, they do not show up on a Google search for Brasher Boots Spain either. I wore a pair on my caminos and found them really great, plenty wide and a roomy toe box. No blisters on either Camino TG.

Nothing to do with availability in Spain.

Unfortunately I bought a new pair of Brasher Hillmaster GTX 2 last year to replace a tried and trusted pair of the original Hillmaster GTX. I'm not impressed with the new boots which have less tread and are of general poor quality. My next pair will be something else.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've not come across them at all here in Galicia, or elsewhere in Spain. Also maybe try some Merrell moab's, they are a very good boot for the conditions here.

...Also maybe try some Merrell moab's, they are a very good boot for the conditions here.
While boot selection is a very personal issue, and everyone should try before you buy, I will nevertheless endorse Merrell Moabs. I wore the waterproof version ankle highs, and suffered not a single blister on my Camino. But don't forget socks and liners -- try several different combos while you're doing training walks. I ended up using mid-weight merino wool socks (both Smartwool and Powersox brands), with a pair of my wife's ankle high nylons as a liner.
Buen Camino,
Jim

Shops along the Camino tend to be small with limited choices and sizes.
If you have a specific item in mind...the odds are not good that it will turn up.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm not impressed with the new boots which have less tread.....
Recently I've been reluctantly window shopping for new boots as my favourite pair, which have served me well and owe me nothing, are sadly getting a bit 'beyond the pale' even for me. During these commercial forays I had thought I noticed a decrease in the 'depth' of tread on a number of brands which Houlet's experience-at least with Brasher- confirms. My question is this is there a practical reason for this reduction? I've always preferred a pretty chunky Vibram tread (it's 'stickier' than anything else I've tried) and a good depth of heal for cushioning. But I'm open to the idea that perhaps, with new materials and high tech specs, that may be an old fashioned prejudice on my part and one I need to review.

Nell, I use Brasher Hillmaster, Lowa Munro's or similar for my Irish hillwalking but spent a lot of time looking for a lighter alternative for my 'long' camino in 2013, I ended up buying Meindl Meran's, my Brasher's weigh in at 2.050 kgs for a pair of size 11's while the Meindl weigh in at 1.650 kgs for size 11's, I replaced the manufacturers insoles with a pair of Superfeet insoles and found them excellent, the weight saving comes mainly from using 2.2 mm leather rather than the 2.8 mm used in the Brashers, another benefit apart from the weight saving is that the sole compound is a little softer than the Brashers which is helpful of the tarmac stretches, no foot problems apart from a bruised toenail when wearing sandals walking around Burgos. 980 kms in 25 days and no readily discernible wear on the soles.

My favourite Brasher Towa GTX's have a super spongy heel that really protects my heal on long journeys and they are robust enough to deal with snow/mud/ and rocky paths (weakish ankles) but I've worn out two pairs and would happily get a third butI'm thinking it's time to branch out. So thank you for your Meindl recommendation. Funnily enough my better half just got a pair of Meindl Toronto GTX but hasn't given them a proper baptism yet!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My favourite Brasher Towa GTX's have a super spongy heel that really protects my heal on long journeys and they are robust enough to deal with snow/mud/ and rocky paths (weakish ankles) but I've worn out two pairs and would happily get a third butI'm thinking it's time to branch out. So thank you for your Meindl recommendation. Funnily enough my better half just got a pair of Meindl Toronto GTX but hasn't given them a proper baptism yet!

Nell, if you are happy with your current boots as you seem to be and they do the job you need them to do and they are still readily available then I would hesitate to change, feet are so individual and there is so much variation in things like the width of the toe box, flex of the sole, stiffness of the rand that change for the sake of change might be the 1st step to learning some lessons the hard way on your feet's preference in long distance footwear. :rolleyes: Even the same manufacturers boots can vary in internal measurements if bought a few years apart as I learnt the very hard way with 2 pairs of size 11 Brasher Hillmasters bought 4 years apart - in the interim I later found out, the production site had moved, new templates were used for cutting the leather and there was a very small difference in the dimensions of the heel compartment. Both heels were shredded within 45 minutes of starting a 8 hour training hike in preparation for the Maamturks Challenge in 2011 but with typical Irish male resolve I went out for another 6+ hours the following day just to make sure it was the boots causing the problem and not the malevolent Irish mountain leprechauns. :oops: Alas the Maamturks had to wait another year before they were crossed off my 'to do' list.

222493_1666605867277_2255764_n.jpg

When we tracked down our favourite boots, having tried a different brand, we asked about sizing issues. The seller said that he now always recommended trying boots on as sizes could vary from one batch of 'identical' boots to another. This was regardless of the make. We now have boots that say they are a full size larger than the originals, but (UK sizing) but are only fractionally larger than the originals. A good fit. The 'original' size are now visibly smaller than the old boots - a real problem for anyone ordering on-line :(

These are the Brasher boots I used in 2012 (1000 Km approx) and in 2013 (120 Km approx) and they never gave me a problem. They are a type of hybrid boot, semi hiking, semi town. The Rep who supplied them to my local hike shop wears them on the Camino every year and for the last five years. Mine are showing a bit of wear now so I have to decide if I want to wear them again this year or switch to my Keen boots.
http://www.brasher.co.uk/catalogue/products/traveller-gtx-r-b-10125cb2

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Again no help on Spanish availability but a +1 for the Brasher Supalite II GTX. I have a loyalty to Brasher boots having skied with him (like a lot of very fit people not a great stylist on skis but able to trek through the forest for miles and leave the rest of us far behind going uphill) many years ago but still would not wear them if they were not comfy.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.