• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are gas canisters suitable for a jetboil available readily throughout Spain?

Walli Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
Many. First 2009 and still going.
We are walking from Granada starting April '17. Will we be able to buy gas canisters on the way or should we stock up in Madrid or Granada? We are carrying a jetboil so we can have a much needed brew when bars are few and far between.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You should be able to buy Primus canisters in the Decathalon stores that are located all around the country. The good news is that with a Jetboil to just make coffee you should not need too many! Good luck.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are a few pilgrim shops along the Francès that tend more towards being hiking gear shops, but I'd be a bit surprised if that sort of kit were "readily" available on the variant route you've decided upon, so you'll likely need to occasionally go a bit out of your Way to re-stock. Which of course can be a very good thing in itself, to stray away from the beaten path on your Camino, and buen camino in any case !! :)

(still, if it's not for actual cooking but mainly just the odd hot drink, you'll get by well enough, one way or another)

My experience was from a few years ago, when I walked the Levante with two French guys who could not conceive of life without a 10 am stop for a coffee. We started in Valencia, and they used it only for making coffee. By about a week out of Toledo they were using my electric coil to heat water in the morning and saving the jet boil for the stops along the way. They found (and things may have changed) that the particular kind of gas canister the jet boil uses was not available widely. Only in Decathlon, and as Felipe and jozero have pointed out, those stores tend to be in big cities. And most of them are not well placed for the pilgrim on foot, usually out in big industrial zones, though there are a few in-city locations now (Zaragoza and Lisbon both have them in-town, so I'm sure there are others).

But if you are going to be continuing on the Vdlp after the Mozarabe, you will hit big cities fairly frequently so you should be ok. Buen camino, Laurie

I have always found gas canisters difficult when visiting other countries . I converted to a Trangia (alcohol stove) some years ago and have found the fuel is readily available in just about every country and every town. Just an idea for those who are thinking of taking stoves and have yet to buy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jet boil uses a particular canister, which is, I assume, why the OP asked the question.

If you go to the Jetboil website you will see it does not list any stores carrying their products in Spain. But it does state that the following brands are compatible with their canisters:

Brunton, Gigapower, MSR, Primus and Snowpeak.

I would look at those websites and see if they are a distributed in Spain.

Also on their website, it states that their canisters are EN417 compatible so you may want to look for this online using terms such as "hornilos de gas" or "cartucho de gas".

There.s a company called Campingaz that may be able to help:
https://www.campingaz.com/Iberia/

As I thought I had said in my post this morning, but clearly there was a glitch, After I heard Laurie rave about Jetboils I bought one for my brother as a Christmas gift and I also gave him a few cannisters so he wouldn't have to look for them in the short term.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Walli Walker this comment is not aimed at you. I'm aware that you are an experienced pilgrim and hiker and know how to use a Jetboil (tm) with care. A note to the curious and the naive: The Mozarabe goes through some pretty arid country and one careless spark, let alone stove, can do serious damage. Anyone who doubts this drive north on the N432 and look at the damage a cigarette butt flicked from a car can do.

Jetboil do not seem to have any retailers in Spain so canister compatibility may be a challenge.

And having Poo-Baaed about naked flamery there are alternatives; such as https://www.proadventure.co.uk/acatalog/Solo-Stove-85030.html?gclid=CMKc3-DbutACFUeVGwodd-8KHA

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Seems to be quite a few Decathlon stores and they stock Jetboils so we should be OK. And, yes, Tincatinka, we shall be very careful. Cheers, Jacki.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Gas canisters are standard fare in campism shops in Spain. But not every village has one. The big Decathlon shops are in big cities. For the available canisters, look here

Thanks! I was having trouble finding an isobutane canister to buy in Oviedo. Your link took me right to it. A short taxi ride to Lugones. I guess we can bring our tiny MSR stove :)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.