A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Are grain/hayfever type allergies a problem in September?

leegal4

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (September 2016)
Hello forum members

I'll be commencing the Camino Frances from SJPDP in early September and was wondering if pollen/wheat and other grain type allergies are an issue at that time of year?

I recently heard of someone suffering quite badly in April and had to go to hospital which was in spring, but I'm hoping that's not so much of an issue in September. I sometimes react to pollens and retain a bit of fluid/get mildly puffy (not life threatening so I'm told) but I have the problem of being allergic to antihistamines.

If there are certain stages of the Camino that are more problematic in this regard then I'll just have to accept I might have to complete parts by public transport to avoid reactions (I really hope not).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Leeann

Tincatinker

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
@leegal4 there is unlikely to be very much active pollination in September in temperate regions, plants reproduce in spring and summer. If you know which plant pollens you react to it would be simple enough to establish their flowering periods. If you are re-acting to particulates generally then dust generated by harvesting machinery may cause you problems as September is peak harvest month. Wear a dust mask if needed.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Inglés 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
Not really a problem in September, at least not for me. It is in spring when Spain is flowering!

but I have the problem of being allergic to antihistamines.
Chuckle (sorry!), make sure to carry a respective note (in translation) with you as this is a rather unusual allergy ;-)

Buen Camino sin alergias, SY

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
sulu Medical issues on the pilgrimage 9

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 132 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 203 23.9%