• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are grain/hayfever type allergies a problem in September?

leegal4

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (September 2016)
Hello forum members

I'll be commencing the Camino Frances from SJPDP in early September and was wondering if pollen/wheat and other grain type allergies are an issue at that time of year?

I recently heard of someone suffering quite badly in April and had to go to hospital which was in spring, but I'm hoping that's not so much of an issue in September. I sometimes react to pollens and retain a bit of fluid/get mildly puffy (not life threatening so I'm told) but I have the problem of being allergic to antihistamines.

If there are certain stages of the Camino that are more problematic in this regard then I'll just have to accept I might have to complete parts by public transport to avoid reactions (I really hope not).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Leeann

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@leegal4 there is unlikely to be very much active pollination in September in temperate regions, plants reproduce in spring and summer. If you know which plant pollens you react to it would be simple enough to establish their flowering periods. If you are re-acting to particulates generally then dust generated by harvesting machinery may cause you problems as September is peak harvest month. Wear a dust mask if needed.

Not really a problem in September, at least not for me. It is in spring when Spain is flowering!

but I have the problem of being allergic to antihistamines.

Chuckle (sorry!), make sure to carry a respective note (in translation) with you as this is a rather unusual allergy ;-)

Buen Camino sin alergias, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.