• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are most albergues heated?

serenalms

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2013
I'm doing the Camino in October and I've started to get a bit nervous about being cold at night... are most of the albergues heated? I'll have a sleeping bag, but it's pretty light (40F) so I'm just wondering if that is going to be warm enough for me? With heat I'll be fine, but if that's not common, I might need something warmer.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Some are, some are not, but they all have blankets. Take a fleece as a layer to hold you until bedtime. Hostales are heated if albergues are a problem.

Just got back from the CF. All but one albergue had blankets. I used a "lightweight" sleeping bag and had no problem. I wore long underwear bottoms and a t-shirt for sleeping and was always comfortable. I started the Camino in snow and ended in 30+ degree weather. Don't worry too much about stuff - you'll be fine.
Kathy

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
serenalms said:
I'm doing the Camino in October and I've started to get a bit nervous about being cold at night... are most of the albergues heated? I'll have a sleeping bag, but it's pretty light (40F) so I'm just wondering if that is going to be warm enough for me? With heat I'll be fine, but if that's not common, I might need something warmer.

serenalms,

Besides carrying a fleece and thermals you might also consider a silk/polyester liner for your sleeping bag. A wooly hat or beanie is also most useful even indoors; often when it is bitter cold I wear my wooly hat to bunk and resemble Goldilocks' grandma!

By mid October not all albergues will be open but the hospitaleros usually know who is open on the next stage and such info is often posted on all albergue doors. Most open albergues will either be heated or have blankets. Portable space heaters are most common. One useful trick is to make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the sleeping bag to block the cold from rising.

Stay warm and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

I totally agree with Margaret, and would add that I've stayed in a few albergues with NO blankets [and one with no beds!] but keeping warm isn't a problem if you just put on the next day's clothing before you go to bed.
Sleeping in your clothes isn't a crime! It may not be your normal type of pyjamas, but it's functional on a cold camino - if necessary, even wear your gloves!
The important thing is to keep comfortably warm.

Buen camino!

October should be ok, in April it was very cold, -2 and no heat, we huddled in the bathroom for warmth 6 or 7 of us, we even considered doubling up in beds, snow all the way into burgos, never so cold in my life, but back in sept, Buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked last October.

A couple of the Galician albergues I stayed in had no blankets. O Cebreiro and Monte de Gozo are two that spring to mind (though I never stayed long enough in MdG to sleep there).

Most were heated and with a few people in they started to get too hot. People give off 100 watts a person, ten people in a room is an extra kilowatt of heat.

Even in October it was a relief to find an unheated room. I cant recall ever being cold at night.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
mad galway man said:
October should be ok, in April it was very cold, -2 and no heat, we huddled in the bathroom for warmth 6 or 7 of us, we even considered doubling up in beds, snow all the way into burgos, never so cold in my life, but back in sept, Buen camino
Uh-oh! I'll be walking next March and April. Although from what I've heard, this year was particularly cold... Still, I plan on bringing warm clothes - and a toque - just in case.

All are heated up until Leon :D , then you can have extra blankets up until Sarria :? .... when you have to fend for yourself or shiver to sleep like I did :( :cry: :( !

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I just finished the camino on June 6, although some albergues have heat, they don;t necessarily turn it on, I had to sleep with my clothes on most of the time, I did not have a sleeping bag, some of them had blankets, but not all of them, I few times my boyfriend and I slept on one bed just to keep warm. I still had a great time doing the camino, this year was colder than usual, it snowed a couple of times.

I went late October to early December. I found a wide variety in heating. The private ones tended to turn the heat on just long enough to get to bed. Some of the Xunta operated albergues were actually uncomfortably hot.

I carried a -10C rated bag ... it was way too warm for sleeping indoors even in the coldest albergue. In the really hot ones I slept with only the sheet liner.

A bag rated 40F should be sufficient. If it is not, most albergues, particularly the cold ones, have blankets you can use to supplement. A wool hat helps a lot too.

The main problem with heating was people draped their wet (rained on or washed) clothes over the radiators. It made the air feel quite damp.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back