• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are most questions on here facetious??

Antomuchacho

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on startting first time at e d of april start of may
What too wear, what clothes, what socks ,trousers ,skirts ,tops , bottoms, boots , sandals, hats, bed bugs, gloves, sarongs, quick dry clothes ounces of gear !! Kgms , alberques , routes, donativos , thousands prob of threads on what when where and why and everything inbetween!! Every single part critiqued and clinically examined!!
Does anyone just go and go with the flow?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was like a scared rabbit when embracing my first camino in 2015. All the advice on everything you listed in your post totally helped me get a grip on what I was getting myself into. It was almost literally a LIFE RAFT for me...a big thumbs up to Ivar, the forum and all the marvelous individuals who contribute!

For some planning their first Camino it can all seem rather overwhelming and confusing.
It might be their first time travelling alone, or first time in another country, first time hiking, whatever.
And there appears to be so many options to be considered, not just in gear, but routes, accommodation, getting there.......

All those questions and answers, for many people, just help calm down the nerves a bit I think. And it draws new Pilgrims into reading other threads and interacting with other members that all helps them in their preparation and builds their confidence.

Of course you could 'go with the flow'. But where's the fun in that ? ;);)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What too wear, what clothes, what socks ,trousers ,skirts ,tops , bottoms, boots , sandals, hats, bed bugs, gloves, sarongs, quick dry clothes ounces of gear !! Kgms , alberques , routes, donativos , thousands prob of threads on what when where and why and everything inbetween!! Every single part critiqued and clinically examined!!
Yes, I've seen plenty of pilgrims who had no idea what to pack, and brought too much and had to jettison it along the way.
This forum was invaluable for me before my first Camino. I had never backpacked or slept in hostels before, and had no idea what to expect. If not for this forum I might have been tempted to book a Camino "tour", or perhaps I would never have done it at all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Excessive planning is exactly what ime talking about waay too much!! And may i say tincatinker thank you for youre googilised version of facetious but i was taught old school as it meant frivolous !! I dont pay attention too google or wikipedia i went too a latin inspired school!! But i understand youre confusion!!
We live in the western world , rain, snow , it happens!! Heat!!
What is wrong with just going ? Me and 2 friends did and enjoyed it just fine !! Excessive planning!!
Believe half of what you see
And nothing of what you believe

. If not for this forum I might have been tempted to book a Camino "tour", or perhaps I would never have done it at all.

If not for this forum, I'd have definitely booked a tour.

But I kept reading about dozens of people who'd gone on their own, and got an idea how the whole thing worked, with albergues, and arrows, and hospitaleros, and everything else. I convinced my husband and, finally, against both our better judgements, we set off on our own. I was a nervous wreck -- until we set foot on the Camino. 😄

I'll be forever grateful for this forum and the confidence everyone has given me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I’m with you! I had a look at this forum (and others) before setting off the first time and decided to ignore most of the advice, thinking it wasn’t for me! It really wasn’t. I was no expert, I took what gear I had. I did fine.
Now it’s different, I like this forum because I can’t always be walking caminos.... ;) Brings the experience back.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Excessive planning is exactly what ime talking about waay too much!! And may i say tincatinker thank you for youre googilised version of facetious but i was taught old school as it meant frivolous !! I dont pay attention too google or wikipedia i went too a latin inspired school!! But i understand youre confusion!!
What is wrong with just going ? Me and 2 friends did and enjoyed it just fine !! Excessive planning!!

The great thing about the Camino is that everyone can choose how they want to walk. It is great that you and your friends enjoyed your Camino. It is just as great that so many others completely enjoyed theirs also. I don't see any point in judging how anyone else chooses to walk or do their own Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
"Facetious" (interestingly one of very few words in the English language with all five vowels in alphabetical order), at least in NZ English, definitely has the connotations of "inappropriacy"; it is not just humorous, but occurs in a situation that ought to be serious. At least, that's what I've taught my homeschooled kids;-) @Antomuchacho, your Latin School Teachers will be turning in their graves when they see your careless spelling and punctuation on a linguistic thread! (unless, of course, you are a budding e.e. cummings)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What a fellow plans
And what actually happens usually works out different.

You travel enough and a certain confidence happens..that self assurance of experience and getting to know yourself that you carry forever...
A..Camino dust

It covers you and sets you apart

To be sure, you must carry certain items...water, cloths and a bit of food.

Courage, a willingness to accept change...which helps a person adapt to fluid situations..if not your going to go "Tharn"
And thats simply emberassing...

The stain of travel doesnt wash off
New walkers out in the wild wide world want to hedge bets against the unknown...which can be a hindrance

Letting go
Let go of fear and just live in the moment
Because its gone just like that and a fearful..fear filled experience isnt optimal for a full life

Before i was disabled..my travel gear was water,food and clothing hardy enough for heavy weather..which freed me up to live the day..hell or high water.

Newbs will ask
Vets will tell
The circle of life closes..

(Theme song for lion king plays..)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
youre googilised version of facetious but i was taught old school as it meant frivolous !! ... i went too a latin inspired school!!
Your use of "facetious" in that context is misguided. To say that facetious means frivolous is to miss the subtleties of both words. If you meant "frivolous" (which would make more sense in your thread title) then you should have used that word.

Most of my life and education were pre-Google. One reference of choice, A Dictionary of Modern English Usage (1978 edition) by H.W. Fowler, has a very interesting discussion of words that mean jocose or jocular, i.e. arch, facetious, flippant, jesting, jocose, jocular, merry, waggish.

Fowler says (among other convoluted but fascinating things) that "...these words are difficult to separate from each other; the dictionaries establish no very clear or serviceable distinction... attention is drawn merely to the points of difference." He goes on to explain several words, including:

"facetious (opp. solemn) implies a desire to be amusing; formerly a laudatory word, but now suggesting ill-timed levity or intrusiveness or the wish to shine."
I regret now that I took such a frivolous approach to my Latin class in 9th Grade. I needed Professor Google to help me with the following :

Habetis bona deum!
Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.

Last edited:

While I understand that for some travelers (any travel, not just a camino) it is possible to just step out of their front door and "go with the flow", as you describe it, I find your post quite condescending and insensitive. I can only hope you meant to post this in jest with the hope of getting some funny dialogue going.
If not, I suggest you spend your time improving your use of grammar and spelling, and not verbally abusing those of us who, for whatever reason of our own, wish to be prepared.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm a frequent reader and lurker but rarely post. I often see the same questions posted over and over and just skip over them as I know the answer can be found with a search.

I don't believe the OP or anyone in agreement was trying to be deliberately condescending or hurtful but maybe trying to encourage some light hearted dialogue.

In saying that, there was another post recently I saw and read which upset me but chose not to engage.

Sometimes we just need to take a deep breath, be present for a moment, let it go and continue on.

No offence meant to anyone genuinely upset by this though.

As someone rightly pointed out i should have used the term frivolous in my thread!! A much more accurate term!!☺
Did someone suggest that its verbal abuse too say theres far too much excessive planning and frivolous questions on these threads?? Thats just silly and ridiculous☺ its just an honest observation in my view and the way a lot of people got really upset suggests i hit a nerve with some!! Which i didnt intend☺

its just an honest observation in my view and the way a lot of people got really upset suggests
...that maybe you are not aware of the impact that your words might have on others or your own judgement of them. 'Excessive' and 'frivolous' are not mere adjectives but words that point fingers, Anto. If you don't care that people are bothered and instead blame them for being too sensitive, imagine the dynamic going in the other direction. How would you feel?
For the record I'm not a planner, and so this observation is coming from an unbiased place: there is no nerve to hit.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'll be going for 1.5 months in a country I've never been to, with a language I don't speak, in the middle of the winter (when I've never hiked in the winter and have no idea what Spanish winters are like). I'll be relying on the strangers in the albergues for a place to sleep, which might or might not be heated, might be opened or might just be closed. I'm sure when i have some experience there I won't need to plan nearly as much.

I'm also excited about the travel and have almost 2 months till that point, so I want to talk about it 😊

Not me.
Half of the fun I have in a journey comes from the preparation which includes not only the gear, but also learning about the place itself, its traditions, history, geography and so on and getting myself a bit better in order to undertake a new challenge.
I'm doing outdoors related activities since I was 13 y.o. and I'll be 42 on Sunday, so I don't consider myself as inexperienced, but I still find enjoyable reading someone else's point of view on gears, packing list and all that comes with that and eventually chip in if I find that my experience may help someone.

The camino is now a circus. 10 yrs ago there were few smart phones tablets. I see people trekking into towns at 7 and 8 pm glues to their phones. What about rest periods and doing laundry or dare i say it talking to other pilgrims. I saw a sign in a few albergues recently. No WiFi talk to each or a few days age met a pilgrim who walked 15km and finished walking at 11am into room ordered food delievered and complained of loniness

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The camino is now a circus. 10 yrs ago there were few smart phones tablets. I see people trekking into towns at 7 and 8 pm glues to their phones. What about rest periods and doing laundry or dare i say it talking to other pilgrims. I saw a sign in a few albergues recently. No WiFi talk to each or a few days age met a pilgrim who walked 15km and finished walking at 11am into room ordered food delievered and complained of loniness

I find smartphones to be a blessing for hiking. You have an accurate, up-to-date map with your precise location. You can contact search and rescue anywhere. You don't need bulky books and maps published decades ago. There have never been so many people able to travel around the world.

Sure, some of them are more touristy, but that's nothing new. Kings used to make pilgrimages with trains of servants, the aristocrats from the colonial powers dined from silver dishes carried on the backs of servants. You see MORE of any one kind of pilgrims because MORE pilgrims of EVERY kind are now able to do the trek.

There is an old saying "There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers!" For stupid you can insert any other adjective that comes to mind ;-) If I am not interested in the discussion/question, I am simply not answering it ;-)

As many answers in this thread have shown, people start their Camino planning from extremely different backgrounds! Some have never hiked before or even left their own country before.
Others have done very different long distance hikes and ask if they need a water filter on the camino.

And many that were asking {insert adjective} questions and got helped by the members of this forum are now back and are helping others, because they remember how they felt before their first Camino ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, Kanga. And as a side note, this is the first post I've seen from you in awhile, but maybe I haven't been viewing the right threads.

I've been on camino! Back now.

A reminder - this forum is "where past pilgrims share, and future pilgrims learn". I would add that it is also a place where past pilgrims learn. Civility and tolerance I hope.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pilgrimages have always been so. Have a read of Chaucer's book - for a lot of people it was a chance to get away from home and go out and enjoy themselves.

Hark, hark! the dogs do bark,
Beggars are coming to town.
Some in rags, some in jags,
And some in velvet gowns.

(Traditional English nursery rhyme, not Chaucer)

Last edited:
Your use of "facetious" in that context is misguided. To say that facetious means frivolous is to miss the subtleties of both words. If you meant "frivolous" (which would make more sense in your thread title) then you should have used that word.

Most of my life and education were pre-Google. One reference of choice, A Dictionary of Modern English Usage (1978 edition) by H.W. Fowler, has a very interesting discussion of words that mean jocose or jocular, i.e. arch, facetious, flippant, jesting, jocose, jocular, merry, waggish.

Fowler says (among other convoluted but fascinating things) that "...these words are difficult to separate from each other; the dictionaries establish no very clear or serviceable distinction... attention is drawn merely to the points of difference." He goes on to explain several words, including:

"facetious (opp. solemn) implies a desire to be amusing; formerly a laudatory word, but now suggesting ill-timed levity or intrusiveness or the wish to shine."
I regret now that I took such a frivolous approach to my Latin class in 9th Grade. I needed Professor Google to help me with the following :

Habetis bona deum!
Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.
Isn't "Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur. " a particularly criptic crossword clue from the Naples Times 45 BCE? ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When i posted up
"Tu scis um rectum" i of course knew i would get a slagging for it😀 at my own expense which is fine!! Its good to be able too laugh at yourself and its ok folks if someone has a different opinion from you!????
I wasnt calling all planning or research excessive or frivalous!!
In fact i very much enjoy the forum and reading the different threads and love the random media bit the most!!
However when some people start writing a thesis on which coat too bring or which sandals too wear i think its a bit too much!! Overthinking in my opinion!!
And i wondered did anyone else consider it as waaaay too much, hence the thread☺
Judging by a couple of replies i recieved some people are far ,far, too touchy and should welcome someone has an opinion different too them which is ok too discuss☺☺☺☺

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Okay, Antomuchacho: the time has come: the spelling of to, two and too. Do go and have a look at it somewhere. The Library, google, a grammar book, you choose. You are a native English speaker, one who has had the benefit of some kind of Latin instruction. Please don't write another 'too' where it ought to be 'to'. I generally never do this, even though I am an English teacher by instinct, training and profession, but for the benefit of our non native English speakers, and the relief of those who are: desist, sir, desist! And then, just go and have whatever it takes to enjoy the rest of the day.

Actually ime an native irish speaker!! Gaelic is my first language ☺ i must be doing it by accident i would imagine, its not intentional or through ignorance maybe its the keypad but thank you for pointing it out!!
But dont let silly things like my spelling upset you so much!! Tòg a bogie

Without looking it up "you're being a pain in the bum"? o_O

Jeff: You should have looked it up. I finally did. I originally was thinking as you did. However, and in fact "Tu scis im rectum" translates to "You know I am right..."

That said, we should ALL just CHILL! Opinions are like ears. Most, everyone has two...

The Camino is sort of like the parable of 'The Three Blind Men and the Elephant...' At first glance or exposure, it appears to be different things to different people. We all come from different starting places and approach doing our first Camino differently.

Once you actually DO your first Camino, you GET it.

We, here in the forum, we exist in part to provide information and advice to newbies so they avoid the mistakes many of us made, avoid the costs and inconvenience, and have a better first Camino. Based on our wide experience, we also provide advice, again so as to help the newbie avoid making the mistakes, miscalculations, and wrong choices that some of us made.

Hope this helps the dialog.

€149,-
Actually ime an native irish speaker!! Gaelic is my first language ☺ i must be doing it by accident i would imagine, its not intentional or through ignorance maybe its the keypad but thank you for pointing it out!!
But dont let silly things like my spelling upset you so much!! Tòg a bogie
for other readers: I have just had a very peaceful exchange with Antomuchacho. It serves me right! He is not a native speaker, so I ought to have left him some slack! He is an Irish speaker (;)). The point is, I think he is just having some fun. And what is wrong with that, says I, a year long member of the not a serious thread thread...:D

But dont let silly things like my spelling upset you so much!!
It's hardly upsetting, but it is definitely annoying. You seem to have a good sense of humor, Anto - but if we're just a little irritated, we're less likely to laugh with you. And we're actually really good at laughing together, so please do keep that up.:cool:

It's true, people can get anal about socks and poles and stuff...all sorts of stuff. And when some people are nervous they plan obsessively. And...this is a forum where people go for advice, so there are by definition going to be threads like that all over the place. If they're not my thing, I just ignore them and go the (silly) NOT serious thread.

€149,-
for other readers: I have just had a very peaceful exchange with Antomuchacho. It serves me right! He is not a native speaker, so I ought to have left him some slack! He is an Irish speaker (;)). The point is, I think he is just having some fun. And what is wrong with that, says I, a year long member of the not a serious thread thread...:D
The Not thread is a whole year old by now? It's been so much fun the time has flown by, like it was started just yesterday...well almost, except for a few more gray hairs I seem to have! :) (Oops, I think I kind of hijacked this thread.)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey kirkie ive been getting ready too go too work😉 just relax its a joke☺
Sorry i should have explained , yes youre right tòg a bogie means - take it easy !!or obviously chill out is the same thing!!
Glad ive went from forum rebel to.... well just a normal member☺ gi maith i.e good!!i promise thats the end of the gaelic lessons dont worry!!

But hey! So many threads...
About people starting on a first Camino, about people thinking which Camino next? About which/how many different Caminos you can possibly combine...
And should you do it on your own or with a tour?
Which one is best?
And what should you take ? A fleece, no fleece? A sleeping bag, three sleeping bags???
I feel like I am like an alcohol addict in a wine shop!!!
D'you think I may be in the wrong forum?
I shouldn't be here!!! :D:D:D;)
There's a lot of similarity in these posts and on the NOT serious thread we've been facetiously giggling ever since. So far so good. Soooo..........:
Tòg a bogie
:)

As a walker on many Caminos and I suppose a “ veteran”, I have two more in the planning stage for next year. One is the Primitivo, from Oviedo with my regular Camino amigo.
Two is leading a group of 15 Pelegrinos on the Ingles from Ferrol.
All of us are post 70 and all of us have a range of responsibilities and duties - to escape these daily binds needs planning, forethought and for some, courage.
We could not simply walk out the door!
Besides we should miss out on the “ cattle class” budget airline deals - another factor when one is a pensioner.
Aside from that I thoroughly enjoy all the researching and hotel booking;
I am the Ensuitepilgrim.
And downloading the latest apps and guides.

cada loco con su tema

cada quien su gusto

To each his own theme

everyone his taste

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've read a few people mention the 'ignore' button, but probably would never choose to use it myself. Even the comments I do not necessarily agree with contribute to the full spectrum of each thread and give insight to the personality/character traits of an individual.
I suppose I leave it up to the mods to sort through it all and make the decisions on which posts to change, delete, or thread to close down. They have a big job and do it well with restraint and good judgement.

Tòg a bogie

and a very quick google search tells me this is more or less: chill out, take it easy, and that about sums it all up, Anto! have a lovely afternoon.
Damn, I was hoping it meant "I like to boogie-boogie" - once more the soggy kipper of disillusionment slaps me in the face :eek:

Bit harsh - only a bit of fun and gives a lot of people the confidence they may lack to go on a Camino.

Nothing is wrong with just going. And nothing is wrong with plenty of planning. Just going worked for you. You've heard from people above that planning worked for them. Everyone walks their own Camino.

Personally, it doesn't bother or harm me if someone wants to plan more or less than I did. If you don't like the amount of planning you see - don't look at those threads. No one is forcing you to ask or answer that type of question. Why do you feel the need to be so judgemental?

I did my first camino about thirty years ago. Ten years ago (your golden age of the camino) there were already twenty five times as many pilgrims as my first camino. I didn't think it was a circus then. I don't think it is a circus now. I still find it a meaningful experience. It still provides the things that brought me to it in the first place: walking in the footsteps of millions of pilgrims among great people (many more of them now, I'll admit) through wonderful cities and villages, fields, forests and mountains, and a chance to separate myself from my regular daily concerns and simplify things for a time (even with my smart phone). That's what I see through my glasses when I walk on my Camino. I can't speak to what you see.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks david for youre question☺ some would say that you asking me that is you being judgemental about me being judgemental☺ it doesnt have too be judgemental in the degarotory sense !! Although maybe ime being excessivly observant or critical which is fine!! Were all different beings☺
I was simply making an observation!!

As ive mentioned once before i think on a different thread one should look at the cartesian-newtonian paradigm philosophy , the simplified version is easier and reflect on that in every step of life or travel or work for that matter☺just a suggestion

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is the Newtonian-Cartesian paradigm, the mechanistic, deterministic interpretation of the world which describes a clockwork universe in which matter is fundamental and consciousness reduced to an epiphenomenon or shadow of matter? Or the Cartesian purity of the mind untrammelled by the sweat and mire of corporeal existence?

Amigo, I think you need to walk some more camino. Your assertion makes no contribution to the discussion, as no doubt the late lamented René would have observed: If sensation and the perception of reality are the source of untruth and illusions, with the only reliable truths to be had in the existence of the metaphysical mind then Camino does not exist and can neither be planned nor ventured without planning.

Wow, Tinky (and OP), you both are able to talk way over MY head! What language are you speaking? I am a simple woman who simply enjoys walking Caminos!
I've never been very philosophical, but am amazed by those who do enjoy engaging in those types of discussions even though I rarely understand what is being said. 😉

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow, Tinky (and OP), you both are able to talk way over MY head! What language are you speaking? I am a simple woman who simply enjoys walking Caminos!
I've never been very philosophical, but am amazed by those who do enjoy engaging in those types of discussions even though I rarely understand what is being said. 😉
Chris, let's stick to the not a serious thread. That is confusing enough, but a lot safer!

Ahh i think you disagreed with me before u think!! Which is great!! I feel the sense youre sabre wrattling ☺ which is good and healthy!! I was referring too newtons laws of motion of matter and nature being subject too mechanical laws ! The paradigm remains important too the bourgeois understanding the relatonship between individuals and nature in general !! Tho ime a bit rusty!!
As the biologist monod says " nature is percieved as wholly other than ourselves , a force too be conquered and used "
And i personally think the camino and my comments are very relevant!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Camino Chris be proud! 'Cos you have the philosophy nailed: "enjoys walking Camino". That is what it is actually all about. The rest is just stuff.
I was just feeling grumpy because aspersions were cast on my Latin and medieval French and there was a suggestion that I might have relied on Google(tm) rather than my library to pull a quote or two ;) There are some serious scholars that contribute to this blessed forum to whom I raise my cap and there are some....

I hope you and @kirkie don't fully retreat to the not a serious thread - though I confess I tried to follow it and got lost a long time ago. What happened to the red socks question?

Ahh i think you disagreed with me before u think!! Which is great!! I feel the sense youre sabre wrattling ☺ which is good and healthy!! I was referring too newtons laws of motion of matter and nature being subject too mechanical laws ! The paradigm remains important too the bourgeois understanding the relatonship between individuals and nature in general !! Tho ime a bit rusty!!
As the biologist monod says " nature is percieved as wholly other than ourselves , a force too be conquered and used "
And i personally think the camino and my comments are very relevant!!
Anto Your toast is burning

I dont see why my toast is burning!! I havent said anything wrong☺

@Camino Chris be proud! 'Cos you have the philosophy nailed: "enjoys walking Camino". That is what it is actually all about. The rest is just stuff.
I was just feeling grumpy because my aspersions were cast on my Latin and medieval French and there was a suggestion that I might have relied on Google(tm) rather than my library to pull a quote or two ;) There are some serious scholars that contribute to this blessed forum to whom I raise my cap and there are some....

I hope you and @kirkie don't fully retreat to the not a serious thread - though I confess I tried to follow it and got lost a long time ago. What happened to the red socks question?
Ask Jeff Crawley

Although I had known about this forum, when I went on my first in 2013, I just went and learned on the trail. The only question I asked was how to get to Pamplona from Biarritz just two days before leaving. I had just heard that all trails were closed, even on Valcarlos with very deep snow. I did not do any training other than my usual walk around the park and never had a pack on my back in all my 64 years until I arrived in Biarritz. I suppose thats going with the flow or as close as you can get. I still do little training and still dont put on my pack until I arrive there

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I follow the Proverb 16:1 We can make our plans, but the final outcome is in God’s hands.

I was so thankful for this forum before my first Camino in 2013 because I hadn't a clue as to what I had gotten myself in to. After my Camino I visited this site to help others, then during my second Camino I will say, I did think too much and packed too much. I made it complicated when it didn't need to be. Why, I don't know. I guess because I wanted to remain in control. I thought I knew what I was doing. I guess I was trying to replicate my first but now I know, there is nothing like your first. For my third I am only looking for a few key pieces of gear and so I will scroll this forum, that I am so grateful for, for the answers and maybe add a little of my own experiences to help someone else. I am going in the summer so no need for extras. Yay, I will be light, light, light. I am getting in to the mind set again of simple, simple, simple, less creature comforts, so to speak and to take it slow once I'm there, go with the flow.

So now I ask @Antomuchacho instead of puffing here, I'm sure you have some experiences that you learned along the way to help someone? Make yourself useful, please share. :)

I dont see why my toast is burning!! I havent said anything wrong☺
I never said you had. I had just just read your post and that came into my head. I felt that I should tell you that you toast was burning. Your toast is burning would appear to have a meaning for you beyond the simple and obvious, because it only means your toast is burning to me. What does it mean to you?

Ha i wasnt puffing☺ but thank you!! I done the same as most i.e buying rucksack walking boots etc but then i bumped into a fellow irishman who lived in london in a very high powered job with problems i.e it turned out job pressures and party lifestyle , he rocked up in sjpdp in jeans trainers and zero luggage!! He walked with us for 2 weeks in old nike trainers and levis in mad heat in those clothes with just a spare tshirt and a fleece!! He was faster and more positive than the rest of us!! Those nike trainers were 5 years old and he carried a small bag with his few garments!!
He booked the flight the night before!!

There is an old saying "There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers!" For stupid you can insert any other adjective that comes to mind ;-) If I am not interested in the discussion/question, I am simply not answering it ;-)

As many answers in this thread have shown, people start their Camino planning from extremely different backgrounds! Some have never hiked before or even left their own country before.
Others have done very different long distance hikes and ask if they need a water filter on the camino.

And many that were asking {insert adjective} questions and got helped by the members of this forum are now back and are helping others, because they remember how they felt before their first Camino ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

Or "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!".

Keep posting so i know when you are going so i can avoid bumping in to you please! Muchaca.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Anto I to am starting next April I have walked it twice before this year and last year and now next year. After a week on the camino you will see what all the questions were about and the weather in April will mean you will get every opportunity to go with the flow if you get what I mean. good luck God bless.:);):)

Buen Camino, SY
Hey go girl havn't seen a dust up like this since my cell phone posting.:D:eek:.

€60,-
Ok ;). I will rise to the bait. Whats that Tu something mean
Hi @TerryW, I suppose you have not yet read the answers in the thread that say that Tu scis im rectum means You know I'm right. Never mind, it ain't so anyway. It's gibberish.
  • Tu is Latin for you.
  • scis is Latin for (you) know. Scire is Latin for to know, to understand
  • im is English for I'm. It did not get translated into Latin when the sentence was put through Google Translate.
  • rectum is a grammatical form of the Latin word rectus, recta, rectum. It can mean straight or right. That's why most people recognise it: rectum in English is the final straight portion of the large intestine in humans.
In short, it makes no sense. You get a more meaningful Latin sentence if you type You know I am right into Google Translate. Grammar matters sometimes. 🤓

Now I'm waiting to see if you have a question I can answer when you reach the message about the Newtonian-Cartesian paradigm. 😇

Last edited:
If sensation and the perception of reality are the source of untruth and illusions, with the only reliable truths to be had in the existence of the metaphysical mind then Camino does not exist and can neither be planned nor ventured without planning.
Now you're getting all Buddhist on us @Tincatinker.:cool:
Shall I intervene and make some posts in old Greek? Those Gods were merciless by the way.;)
Please, Sabine. Some merciless old Greek gods might soften the edges of this crunchy thread.;)
nature is percieved as wholly other than ourselves , a force too be conquered and used
Don't get me started with that quote, Anto. ;););)
As if we are anything other than nature, even though we think we're so very special.

[Is it the planets or are we all just generally grumpy?:p]

Last edited:
I was like a scared rabbit when embracing my first camino in 2015. All the advice on everything you listed in your post totally helped me get a grip on what I was getting myself into. It was almost literally a LIFE RAFT for me...a big thumbs up to Ivar, the forum and all the marvelous individuals who contribute!
Well said - me too. Cooee

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back